Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:47:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuinea Pig Parkour
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Guinea Pig Parkour  (Read 17978 times)
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:56:38 PM »

Hey everyone! I released a pre-alpha demo this week on Steam as part of the Game Awards Festival.

It'll only be up for a limited time, so check it out now if you're interested!

Here's a quick video of gameplay with some behind-the-scenes on how I made the animations:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:45:23 PM by JoeGP » Logged
Thomas_
Level 0

https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:23:20 AM »

It looks cut and fun ahahah!
Run Joe, run!
You gained a watcher on indiedb Wink
[FIXED](Mind, it seems there is something wrong with the link of your post)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:34:23 AM by Atavismus » Logged

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:28:35 AM »

It looks cut and fun ahahah!
Run Joe, run!
(Mind, it seems there is something wrong with the link of your post)

Hey, thanks a lot!

And thanks for the follow! :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:46:09 AM by JoeGP » Logged
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:47:10 AM »

The animations are very convincing Smiley

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:50 AM »

Wow, these animations have great friction. It's amazing. Good snap in those movements.
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 02:16:17 AM »

Yep it's really smooth! The idea is to do an infinite runner, or something with more control?

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:38 AM »

Thanks guys!

The idea is to do an infinite runner, or something with more control?

My initial idea is to make an infinite runner type game (one or two buttons), but level-based.  I'll probably make an infinite mode as an extra though, if I can figure it out.  After I complete and release the simple version, I'd love to continue development into a full-scale Metroidvania type game.  But that would be down the road.
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

The animations are great but 2d platformers aren't cartoons for all that.
Be careful that the finesse of the animations aren't at the expense of the playability. For instance it takes way too long for the Guinea Pig to stand up again once it collided with the box.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »

New animation completed!  Joe performs a wall run/climb.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:48 AM »

Loving the sense of flow these movement animations have.  That sort of preservation of momentum is incredibly important in a game about parkour, and you're definitely nailing it so far.  Looking forward to seeing more!
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 01:53:09 AM »

For instance it takes way too long for the Guinea Pig to stand up again once it collided with the box.

This is completely true - it'd be better for gameplay if the collision went directly into the 'crouch' before the hamster shooting himself up.

I find that pauses in agency aren't necessary a big problem as long as the player experiences the character as moving - like in sonic when you rush through pipes in Chemical Plant zone even though you don't control sonic you feel like you're travelling and thus have agency

it's the same here I think, if the collision makes the hamster rebound, build up energy and then go back into the run in the same motion the player will still be immersed in the feeling of 'transition' whereas if you have the player pause too long on the ground it will definitely disturb the flow.

Of course disturbing the flow can be a good motivator to get the player to play well and keep up tempo, but I think for that purpose a simple 'rebound' kind of motion is enough - if the game feel punishes the player too much for mistakes the player will lose motivation

those are some thoughts of mine that spontaneously happened as I started typing. I still think the game looks good and in many ways do a fantastic job of marrying cartoon-style animation with platformy gameplay
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »

For instance it takes way too long for the Guinea Pig to stand up again once it collided with the box.

This is completely true - it'd be better for gameplay if the collision went directly into the 'crouch' before the hamster shooting himself up.

I find that pauses in agency aren't necessary a big problem as long as the player experiences the character as moving - like in sonic when you rush through pipes in Chemical Plant zone even though you don't control sonic you feel like you're travelling and thus have agency

it's the same here I think, if the collision makes the hamster rebound, build up energy and then go back into the run in the same motion the player will still be immersed in the feeling of 'transition' whereas if you have the player pause too long on the ground it will definitely disturb the flow.

Of course disturbing the flow can be a good motivator to get the player to play well and keep up tempo, but I think for that purpose a simple 'rebound' kind of motion is enough - if the game feel punishes the player too much for mistakes the player will lose motivation

those are some thoughts of mine that spontaneously happened as I started typing. I still think the game looks good and in many ways do a fantastic job of marrying cartoon-style animation with platformy gameplay

No, yeah, those are good points.  It's definitely something I'll be testing when I actually put these animations into the engine.  Getting it to feel fun and responsive is obviously the most important thing.  I always hated playing those old SNES games where the animations were wonderful but they didn't put any time into the engine.  Huge waste.
lobstersteve
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »

Corny Laugh this animations
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »

Outstanding animations!

I look forward to see more about this project, it sounds very cool!

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
Zerker Commander
Level 0

Who am I! What did I want!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »

Be careful that the finesse of the animations aren't at the expense of the playability. For instance it takes way too long for the Guinea Pig to stand up again once it collided with the box.

These animations are awesome!

But as previously mentioned, don't let animations get in the way of solid gameplay. Having run into a similar situation awhile back with a project, don't let animations dictate gameplay. It pretty much killed the project because we couldn't marry 'that look' with fun and smooth gameplay. Especially one that's about speed. My experience we ended up speeding up a number of the animations to prevent them from feeling really jarring when they performed, but at the cost of the animation looking good, which leads to more work fixing them.

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

Outstanding animations!

I look forward to see more about this project, it sounds very cool!

Awesome!  Thanks a lot!  Grin
pikkukatti
Level 1

Team Lead @AncestoryGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »

Loving those animations; not only are they really cute they're also really smooth and have a nice feel of weight.

Can't speak much for the gameplay and I have to agree that some of the animations can easily break the flow of the game, but I can't say for sure yet so I'll just have to wait for some gameplay footage Smiley

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 05:56:07 AM »

Cool animation. Always nice to see fully animated non-pixel 2D stuff in games.

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »

Loving those animations; not only are they really cute they're also really smooth and have a nice feel of weight.

Can't speak much for the gameplay and I have to agree that some of the animations can easily break the flow of the game, but I can't say for sure yet so I'll just have to wait for some gameplay footage Smiley

Thanks a lot!  Yeah, more gameplay footage will be coming soon. Smiley
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:12 AM »

These animations are awesome!

But as previously mentioned, don't let animations get in the way of solid gameplay. Having run into a similar situation awhile back with a project, don't let animations dictate gameplay. It pretty much killed the project because we couldn't marry 'that look' with fun and smooth gameplay. Especially one that's about speed. My experience we ended up speeding up a number of the animations to prevent them from feeling really jarring when they performed, but at the cost of the animation looking good, which leads to more work fixing them.

I'm inclined to disagree with your wording - in my holistical view of games, animation IS gameplay. Neither dictates the other, or maybe each dictates the other.

What I'm trying to get at is that animation and controls are created in the synthesis between each other. There are some gameplay enhancing movements that you would never get with a colored-box prototype environment.

There's a mile-wide difference between pressing a button and then waiting 1 second for your character-box to interact with an enemy box

and

pressing a button and watching your character sprite start swinging a very heavy axe for 1 second before hitting the enemy sprite

even though those two are the exact same in code they will convey something entirely different to the player

in this way the animator working on a game can't just sit down and draw cool looking movements and then give them to a coder for implementation, and by the same account a coder can't just write behavior for a player hitbox and then simply apply animation to it

and neither the animator nor the coder can then blame the other for the end result not working. game animation needs to be a collaborative process where you work towards a vision of movement together and carefully iterate what should be hand-animated frames and what should be procedural movement.

As I'm writing this I realize this is probably what you meant to begin with, but the way you phrased it is slightly coder-centric and could be interpreted as being dismissive of wanting to achieve "that look" and concluding that "gameplay comes first", which I ultimately agree with - I just wanted to add that as an animator "that look" and "gameplay first" is part of the same ideal. I think that every type of motion has the potential for good gameplay, and I think every type of gameplay has the potential for good motion.

Basically I'm here to sow confusion and dissolve matters. I'm sorry. Thank you for sparking this tirade, it felt good to write out. In the end I am convinced we agree on this and the final text I wrote is more directed out in the air than towards you.

I have no idea why this thread has become the place I come to vent animator ideas, and if JoeGP would like me to take this discussion elsewhere I gladly will.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic