Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:30:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuinea Pig Parkour
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Guinea Pig Parkour  (Read 17992 times)
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »

Not at all!  I appreciate the feedback.  Can't improve if people only tell you what they like!
lobstersteve
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2016, 04:15:52 AM »

I also liked the character better without the jacket Sad
The old animation made me smirk, just because it was funny to see a hamster to do parkour. The new charakter might be modelled better, but doesn't appeal to me that much :/
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:57 AM »

the new design reminds of the episode in Simpsons , with the dog Poochie in the  The Itchy & Scratchy Show.
I like the old version better too.
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2016, 01:31:55 PM »

Interesting!  I got much better response with this new design on social media.  Well, I'll definitely keep an open mind moving forward.  As I said, nothing's set in stone.
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2016, 08:27:19 PM »

New animation!  This one took almost a full month to make, which is pretty insane, but it's also five to six times longer than almost any other in-game animation will be, so that's fine.  I just wanted a fun idle animation.

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »

DevLog 30: Redesigned Jump Forward Cycle-

DevLog 31: Making the Running Stop Idle Animation-

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »

Guinea Pig Parkour DevLogs 32-35:

Engine Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElguO4XGsYo

Experiments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZnpM5z5itg
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2016, 11:28:32 PM »

Why does the main character always look super exhausted and stressed? It seems he does not like parkour at all. What motivates him to do it anyway? Fitness? Running from something? Cheesy

Obiously i was assuming/interpreting that he has fun, while having no-face-expression (no mouth) in the previous version. The new version tells me, he's not enjoying parkour (or sports in general).

P.S.: Clive 'N' Wrench https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40472.msg1149604#msg1149604 is an perfect example to me how (mainly) face expressions can change the whole character and game. msg1149604 marks the start of the redesign.
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2016, 11:47:20 PM »

Why does the main character always look super exhausted and stressed? It seems he does not like parkour at all. What motivates him to do it anyway? Fitness? Running from something? Cheesy

Obiously i was assuming/interpreting that he has fun, while having no-face-expression (no mouth) in the previous version. The new version tells me, he's not enjoying parkour (or sports in general).

P.S.: Clive 'N' Wrench https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40472.msg1149604#msg1149604 is an perfect example to me how (mainly) face expressions can change the whole character and game. msg1149604 marks the start of the redesign.

Haha love the snake!

The plot has shifted around, but the basic premise now is that he is a guinea pig in a lab, and the experiment he's involved in gives him parkour abilities.  However, he's still a chubby little guinea pig, so even though he can do this stuff with aid of the experimental formula or whatever it is, it still exhausts him.  That's the central irony of the concept, and will be played for comedy.  It's probably important to note that the game is based on a pre-existing comedy series, so the tone will be different than a generic happy-go-lucky platformer.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »

If the face expression supports your storytelling it's something different and well-made. Smiley The street scenery lead to my impression that the main character is doing what he's doing for fun.
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »

If the face expression supports your storytelling it's something different and well-made. Smiley The street scenery lead to my impression that the main character is doing what he's doing for fun.

Ah, I see.  Yeah, that was from the original concept, but I've been retooling it.  Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate the input!
Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2016, 05:07:26 AM »

It looks cool, but I'll join the club of people who liked first animation iteration more.
I don't want to sound rude, but IMO pants is too much: jacket gives fun sportive vibe, but pants feels a bit like uncanny valley (not to mention that at running animation I can't stop thinking that pants full of something beside guinea pig, sorry).
Second animation "over elastic" for my taste, first one makes me "believe in it" more. First one was like parkour runner on workout, with some muscles, who can jump and fall and roll, while second is gelatine wimp, who unlikely can do tricks like those by himself (oh, well, all I see him doing in the video is to ate some floating foodstuff, right Sad).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:20:56 AM by Shirsh » Logged

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »

It looks cool, but I'll join the club of people who liked first animation iteration more.
I don't want to sound rude, but IMO pants is too much: jacket gives fun sportive vibe, but pants feels a bit like uncanny valley (not to mention that at running animation I can't stop thinking that pants full of something beside guinea pig, sorry).
Second animation "over elastic" for my taste, first one makes me "believe in it" more. First one was like parkour runner on workout, with some muscles, who can jump and fall and roll, while second is gelatine wimp, who unlikely can do tricks like those by himself (oh, well, all I see him doing in the video is to ate some floating foodstuff, right Sad).

Thanks for the input!  It sounds like you may just not like the premise of the comedic approach I'm taking, but it's interesting and useful to get other perspectives.  It's also interesting to see how many people here don't like the new design, but everywhere else I've posted it's all been positive.  All useful data points, though.
JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2016, 02:08:15 AM »

Sorry, I just now realized you were referencing the two GIFs from the first post on the thread.  I agree about the jump being off, it will be getting changed, it didn't end up coming out the way I expected.  Thanks again for the comments!
Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »

That's my bad I didn't point at it and I think my expressions were a bit rude, sorry. You should follow your vision of course, it was just an opinion/impression. Yep, thought there's latest ones on first page, watching latest devlog now.

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »

Latest DevLogs, testing new animations and moves:

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »

Sketch tests from this week

alpha_rats
Level 0

mip mip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »

Thanks a lot for sharing your animaiton process, it's very interesting and instructive!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2016, 07:49:05 AM »

These animations are mind blowingly fluid! Thank you for sharing!

JoeGP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »

Thanks a lot for sharing your animaiton process, it's very interesting and instructive!

No problem!  Glad to hear it!

These animations are mind blowingly fluid! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks a lot! :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic