Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:28:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDevs Getting Fit
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Devs Getting Fit  (Read 40065 times)
Pfotegeist
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:58 AM »

I guess I'm finally channeling alpha waves when I meditate.

Although I trained to have this facility for a while my stress hormones prevented it to suppress physical issues. So I've been using what I know to find and firm up weaker muscles and try to train myself to maintain posture.  I guess one objective goal is now that I eliminated a major issue my body needs to relearn to maintain muscle firmness on its own, a problem not everyone will experience.

This marks the next stage in my progress. Eventually I want to have the greatest control of my consciousness.

Some other meditative practice. There's a potential barrier to understanding other people with a problem you'll never have, I've never lacked an imagination but I have practiced not thinking for a long period of time by focusing on inanimate objects and videos it usually results in really vivid dreams, which makes me believe my literal dreams are meaningless electrical discharges in my brain that would stain my perception of reality if I didn't have an imagination.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »

I think people might flex their muscles without resistance differently. So while it might be common sense, it

1. puff up any muscle in place
2. use two opposing muscle groups the same time, only move a little to make sure they're working.

So the story is... if I lost a connection between movement of each muscle and my brain I have to focus extra hard to get it functioning again. I believe there's a pretty big difference between the first type of flex and the second. Naturally I'm practicing breathing while I do this too but it's the ultimate multi-task challenge.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2019, 05:46:05 AM »

I looked up meditation some more and concentrating on how you manage your body is known as mindfulness.

Here's what I've learned: First, I need a better feel which only comes from nerve connections, and practicing muscle control. Once some discomfort went away I noticed that I could find more comfortable positions where I'd take advantage of eccentric muscle movements rather than staying completely concentrated, but this is only to further the goal of strengthening the supporting core muscles.

Second, I've been practicing finding the center, meaning about half a full flex, balancing midway between two movements.

Third, my body seems to change each day, so I need to do everything early.  Although I have plenty of spare time if I don't get the breathing right when I start I can get tired right away and go back to sleep for an hour.

Fourth, everything is more complicated on a subjective level, so although a generalized description can help. Everyone grows different, it's like the Buddha learned when he looked at the leaf, all he could teach were generic lessons for people to copy and subjectively grow from there.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »

Yeah, holy men don't learn much from staring at leaves.

Might I suggest getting some "real" exercise if you're serious about fitness?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »

I looked up meditation...Here's what I've learned:
Here is what I've learned: meditation is not something to look up anywhere else, you have to investigate it inside yourself, for yourself. Meditation is a process and a state of mind where logic and reasoning has no place. To me, the purpose of meditation is to refill the body with life force.

Fourth, everything is more complicated on a subjective level, so although a generalized description can help. Everyone grows different
Exactly.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »

if you, yourself, are a real exerciser, might i suggest reading up on vagal nerve tone, heart rate variability, how vagus nerve stimulation can benefit athletes, and how "mindfulness", "meditation" etc can be used to affect heart rate variability and thus vagal tone? you might find it "enlightening" in a way you do not expect
fluffrabbit
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »

if you, yourself, are a real exerciser, might i suggest reading up on vagal nerve tone, heart rate variability, how vagus nerve stimulation can benefit athletes, and how "mindfulness", "meditation" etc can be used to affect heart rate variability and thus vagal tone? you might find it "enlightening" in a way you do not expect
I saw a documentary on that relating to recent events in gymnastic medicine, but it had a different perspective...
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »

I saw a documentary on that relating to recent events in gymnastic medicine, but it had a different perspective...
what's the documentary called? that sounds interesting
fluffrabbit
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2019, 02:19:21 PM »

At the Heart of Gold: Inside the USA Gymnastics Scandal

Now, I am open to the idea that all this quasi-religious doublespeak is some kind of euphamism for vaginal stretching or some such thing. Maybe there's something to it, it's not like I haven't meditated before, but I am highly skeptical. Fitness is no joke and nobody needs any more excuses to get less than a healthy level of physical exercise unless they're in a coma. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »

At the Heart of Gold: Inside the USA Gymnastics Scandal

Now, I am open to the idea that all this quasi-religious doublespeak is some kind of euphamism for vaginal stretching or some such thing. Maybe there's something to it, it's not like I haven't meditated before, but I am highly skeptical. Fitness is no joke and nobody needs any more excuses to get less than a healthy level of physical exercise unless they're in a coma. That's all I have to say on the matter.
haha, I see. I get the joke. Vagal, vaginal. But seriously learning about the physiological mechanisms through which simple breathing exercises can have effects on so many disparate biological processes really pierced through my instinctive belief that it was bullshit. There's been a lot of really wild results in some very aggressive inflammatory disease models using electrical stimulation, and breathing exercises are so benign and easy to fit into a training program that you lose nothing for trying. I felt it helped me when training for a half marathon last year.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »

I actually thought you meant vaginal. I was going to follow it up with a joke about anal, but now I see that you're talking about something else so I'll have to look into it.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »

Reasonable man on message board absolutely DESTROYS minor misunderstanding about pussies with manners and mutual respect
Pfotegeist
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2019, 07:15:31 AM »

Criticism is fine.

I thought meditation was a more of a mental process before, the desire to escape from reality.  Well evidently that's some pop culture propaganda.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2019, 10:32:47 AM »

But seriously learning about the physiological mechanisms through which simple breathing exercises can have effects on so many disparate biological processes really pierced through my instinctive belief that it was bullshit.
You think it is instinctive, but the lack of relation to meditation related stuff has been indoctrinated by the surrounding society. And the result is actually the contrary, an override of your instinctive self-observation abilities. Conscious breathing control strongly contributes to harmonize the processes of your body. The effect can be observed immediately when you clear your mind of all bias. If you manage to do that, you will see I am not talking about random esoteric beliefs, but about observable reality (it just happens that it expands beyond the commonly known and limited academic knowledge).

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
fluffrabbit
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »

it expands beyond the commonly known and limited academic knowledge
And that's where I draw my hard scientific line. Believe what you want, meditation ain't bad, but if you ask me, the notion that spiritual/philosophical/creative processes do things that current science (or current "mainstream" science in some people's vernacular) cannot explain is dubious at best.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2019, 12:28:14 PM »

This post was about getting annoyed by strangers outside. People want to play moral games. If I can avoid them I do.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:55:54 PM by Pfotegeist » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

And that's where I draw my hard scientific line.
This is another way of saying "I rather appeal to authority than being scientific."

the notion that spiritual/philosophical/creative processes do things that current science (or current "mainstream" science in some people's vernacular) cannot explain is dubious at best.
This subject matter is hard to research, nothing dubious in that claim. However, the "macroscopic" health/fitness-enhancing effects of meditation can be consistently reproduced and observed.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »

This is another way of saying "I rather appeal to authority than being scientific."
No, I was hinting at the importance of experimentation and peer-reviewed studies. If peer review is appealing to authority (and it is; scientific publishing is currently not looking its best) then I don't claim the process is perfect, but throwing out hard science for fringe science is quackery, sorry.

This subject matter is hard to research, nothing dubious in that claim. However, the "macroscopic" health/fitness-enhancing effects of meditation can be consistently reproduced and observed.
I agree with all of this. But I draw a razor-sharp line at speculation beyond established research in this field due to my extreme skepticism on the subject. There's nothing wrong with the esoteric side of it, for what it is. I used to be a fan of Teen Titans and found Raven's meditative practices to be very interesting, but I never took it too literally.
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »

Who wanna get swole tho

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2019, 05:48:46 PM »

No, I was hinting at the importance of experimentation and peer-reviewed studies.
It only takes a single anecdote to see that meditation can work. This anecdote can be you.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic