Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:05:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDevs Getting Fit
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Devs Getting Fit  (Read 40487 times)
fluffrabbit
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2019, 05:59:05 PM »

Who wanna get swole tho
I second the motion.

No, I was hinting at the importance of experimentation and peer-reviewed studies.
It only takes a single anecdote to see that meditation can work. This anecdote can be you.
I used to meditate for over a year. It did what it did, but frankly I don't care either way. I never felt "great". I could think a little more clearly, but that's not external and quantifiable enough for me to consider it worth the effort. But sure, you go ahead an seek anecdotes, maybe you'll find Jesus or something.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »

I've always tried to use my deltoids while lifting weights and not the shoulder. It didn't work too well.

Recently my deltoids have started to look visible.

No, I was hinting at the importance of experimentation and peer-reviewed studies.
It only takes a single anecdote to see that meditation can work. This anecdote can be you.

I already...

What I do is I flex a muscle and its opposing muscle at about half strength, breathe, for as long as I'm able to, and I rest on one or the other if I need to focus on something else, this has gains in circulation and nerve. Any change in muscle is probably just growth hormone, and normal repair.
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »

Fitness goal: Have an ass like a chick

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »

were gonna have goop com links by page 9 arent we
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2019, 12:17:03 AM »

were gonna have goop com links by page 9 arent we
i am trying to be nice online, but various things have been funny to me
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2019, 01:22:45 AM »

I used to meditate for over a year. It did what it did, but frankly I don't care either way. I never felt "great". I could think a little more clearly, but that's not external and quantifiable enough for me to consider it worth the effort.
You can look at the surface of a building for over a year. You will still not know how it looks like inside if you don't walk in. The way you talk conveys a thick layer of bias inside your mind. That layer is a barrier that prevents you to enter that building (your body). So you may have tried to meditate, pushing the barrier, but it never really let you in. This is naturally the typical problem most people have when trying to meditate.

I've always tried to use my deltoids while lifting weights and not the shoulder. It didn't work too well.

Recently my deltoids have started to look visible.

I already...

What I do is I flex a muscle and its opposing muscle at about half strength, breathe, for as long as I'm able to, and I rest on one or the other if I need to focus on something else, this has gains in circulation and nerve. Any change in muscle is probably just growth hormone, and normal repair.
That's interesting. When I meditate I don't "think" in terms of muscles, hormones, nerves etc. These terms are all just made up wrapper concepts around the actual thing you seek to experience, energy. Such terms are necessary to formalize and structure the world around us. But a concrete real thing is not just a structure, it is also content. That content is for you to experience.

But for a starter, you can still try a hacky shortcut that can  work, called the Wim Hof method. Just to get aware that you can indeed control the state of your body for the better to a significant extent. Then it's up to you to go from there where ever you want. Here it is:

Motivation:

Tutorial:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 02:10:57 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pfotegeist
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2019, 05:04:53 AM »

Why can't humans breathe naturally? All mammals use deep breathing to relax, I read about it on the wiki.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »

I for one am all for exploring esoteric ideas, but I've been practicing a distracted mind for so long, I never managed to keep up with a longer-term meditation practice (am trying to get into a daily habit again, for the nth time, just sitting down twice daily with no timers and be mindful of my breathing...)

Wim Hof's technique is interesting (more so as he dabbled a lot in esoteric matters)... and on that tangent - cold showers are the bomb to get quickly energized, though I don't do the breathing hack.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »

Why can't humans breathe naturally? All mammals use deep breathing to relax, I read about it on the wiki.
There is a fundamental difference between animals and humans regarding mental capacity and "pre-programming". As a rough analogy in this context, animals are fixed function hardware, we are programmable hardware. It means animals are very efficient in what they do, but they are (more or less) bound to function a certain way. On the other hand, humans come with a default set up, which is not necessarily optimal. But we have the (natural) mental capacity to consciously program ourselves to function a certain way in order to adapt to "anything". Depending how we program ourselves, we can affect the processes of our body to operate in a respective way since everything is interlinked. From radiating health to complete system failure, everything is possible. For example, you may notice that certain workaholics who are 24/7 concerned to pursue a career will inherently convey a certain amount of stress in the way they act and breath, regardless what they do. But the default behavior of certain native Africans, who are used to take things slow, will be completely different.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »

i am entering a reasonableness cocoon and will emerge as a more reasonable creature that will not argue about stuff with strangers, not sure what kind of programming style i will have afterwards
Pfotegeist
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2019, 01:46:35 AM »

Code:
Function(null);
Pfotegeist
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:31 AM »

At this rate I won't have to go outside, my body is giving the same feedback as a walk when I'm standing still.  I'll try to dip into aerobic exercises rather than weight lifting, at least until I've balanced what I already have.

I'm pretty sure I can at least balance opposing muscles, without added weight, that's what I meant.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »

Since I'm not being shy about my problems I might as well say that for the first time in recent memory my eyes stayed open without me holding them open. I don't know what does this but it started working again.

i think the circulation to my eyes was not great so for some reason today the eyelids had a partial recovery, now I can feel my eyelids and they feel alright. They used to get really badly dried out and I haven't had a severe itching issue since I was a kid, well this sensation is totally new.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:26:52 PM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »

Now I start to feel bad for the people who saw me outside, it's like they had to face the truth, humans are designed to jog long distances and if we measured people by their ability to move I was hopping like a bunny I was sliding like a snake and their head exploded. Well I don't really know what they were saying, it was that traumatizing for them, they'll probably be awake all week.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2019, 02:56:50 AM »

I think what it is though, it's the Dunning-Kruger effect. Someone who's never gone for a walk can't comprehend what I do outside.
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »

The gym I go to now has a glute press machine. If you wanna work your legs... man you gotta try using a glute press.

Squats are great, leg press is great, but glute press is my favorite for now.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2019, 05:32:00 AM »

If you really want a big butt then the tip I heard is fat deposits in muscle from extremely long cardio workouts.

I also have firsthand experience. My abs got really tough and bulky because the only tip you're ever given while working out is to keep your abs tight, and keep them tight for a while after, if the goal was to keep fat off your stomach this is called an engineered failure.

other source
I don't think this is the right video but it talks about insulin a lot.  Exercise increases sensitivity (to insulin) so it will increase fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpOP_HKeazU?

I don't recommend losing weight... always maintain it, like it's economic inflation, and try to use it in healthy ways.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:14:28 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »

If you really want a big butt then the tip I heard is fat deposits in muscle from extremely long cardio workouts.

I also have firsthand experience. My abs got really tough and bulky because the only tip you're ever given while working out is to keep your abs tight, and keep them tight for a while after, if the goal was to keep fat off your stomach this is called an engineered failure.

other source
I don't think this is the right video but it talks about insulin a lot.  Exercise increases sensitivity (to insulin) so it will increase fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpOP_HKeazU?

I don't recommend losing weight... always maintain it, like it's economic inflation, and try to use it in healthy ways.

The video was informative but from what I gathered you don't want fat deposits in muscle. And I've never heard that tip before, I've done plenty of research and talked to other fitness types, all I've heard was excessive cardio can actually reduce muscle size. I do some cardio to warm up before lifting weights and take my dog for a jog every other day or so but that's about it. My job though involves a lot of walking and stuff so I'm a bit active for most of the day when at work.

I've made some pretty good gainz doing weighted stuff + high protein keto-like diet. Squats, leg press(leg press machines also good for isolating calf muscles btw), leg extension, etc... now glute press. I do core/upper body too but that's not my focus. Pics if anyone wants~ Wink

Pfotegeist
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2019, 05:01:31 AM »

I'm hearing you don't want to get fat.

as a kid I had to walk, my elders told me I had to get fat, and then walk some more, eventually I hopped but there was always the threat of drivers, then I chose to take on the most extreme deprived endurance training of running

I guess what matters is I'll never look thin because of my natural body shape so it was a real shit show.

And also, what can I say, I looked really fat if I ate gluten, that probably made them smile. They had the best of all worlds, a cheap diet, full of lots of sugar, makes the kid look fat, and then he'll fall asleep at the time of days old people prefer to sleep, with just a hint of life sucks so old people will feel amazing that they're not him. I'm speaking about the cynical reality and it's not like they knew anything about gluten, they probably thought I was genetically defective as was the fashion of the 90s.

(I thought it over my body on gluten was probably not a controllable experimental state so the value of advice I can give from that past experience is dubious.)

Moving on...

When an animal's body is perfect, they find ways to make themselves sick. This is why some form of self-control makes an animal godly.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:25:29 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2019, 02:54:47 AM »

So what I'm feeling today I associate with adrenaline rushes, but I haven't done anything. I can't understand these changes to my body.

Naturally I'll avoid human contact and adopt a humble posture.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic