Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:57:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDevs Getting Fit
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Devs Getting Fit  (Read 40414 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2019, 04:13:23 AM »

(shitpost aside, I hope you get well soon)
i wish i had this man's presence of mind
Pfotegeist
« Reply #221 on: July 21, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »

Flexing my transverse muscle under my abdomen is having some really good circulation benefits. My abs were tight enough to hold my stomach flat for a long time and I don't know when it happened, the side-effect of irrational exercise routines and nerve damage (loss of feeling and weaker autonomic reponses) I stopped thinking I ever had to use it.

For now it doesn't really move my stomach a lot, but I train the slow muscles almost all day so I expect that eventually... Something should happen.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_abdominal_muscle

Looks like I wasn't going to be completely functional until I started working on this after all. I did correct my posture over a long time and train muscle control first. The ability to move a large muscle like this is pretty easy but understanding how your whole body will be impacted is another issue so consult a doctor there are even warnings on the page in case of hernia.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »

This is my penance for being rude on the internet, apologies to those I harmed
As a long time lurker, I can say your antics have been quite entertaining, if not always pleasant or appropriate. Unrelated to that, getting stabbed for whatever reason is pretty horrible. Glad you seem to be well and taking it with a hefty dose of stoic humor.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:39 AM »

This is my penance for being rude on the internet, apologies to those I harmed
As a long time lurker, I can say your antics have been quite entertaining, if not always pleasant or appropriate. Unrelated to that, getting stabbed for whatever reason is pretty horrible. Glad you seem to be well and taking it with a hefty dose of stoic humor.
thank you my friend. i am different now, and endeavour to be both pleasant and appropriate. and also to have a more regular number of holes
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2019, 01:38:04 PM »

going to have reconstructive surgery tomorrow to look marginally less fucked up. or maybe more fucked up, who can really say
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »

Not sure what your situation is so I can't say what's realistic to expect, but I wish you the best recovery. <3

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »

Not sure what your situation is so I can't say what's realistic to expect, but I wish you the best recovery. <3
you know what they don't prepare you for in violent movies and video games is the sheer range of weird coloured shit can come out of a big wound in your body, or how often it smells like unwashed lady genitalia
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »

Yeah, the insides of living things don't tend to look or smell great. Bless the surgeons who have to swim in that stuff all their careers.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2019, 04:58:53 AM »

Fentanyl kicks ass
Pfotegeist
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »

While i was training in sports I didn't have the communication skill to tell the coach they needed to give me better advice.

I wouldn't have known anyway, but the training I was allowed to know about was to work the same muscle hard every day, sink or swim.

Well, the testosterone required to build muscle with such a rudimentary flawed program was accessible but I went bald and many of my unused muscles atrophied, and despite that I didn't accomplish anything, and I never told the coach how much they sucked.

Anyways I'm getting balder now, so it's not a big deal.

What I found online is the slow twitch muscle can be used every day.  What is unwritten is if your slow twitch muscles are too weak for an activity, don't do it, work your way up.

What I found online is fast twitch muscles take about 3~4 days to recover. Well, that's fine.

What else is what they call super fast twitch muscles, or type 2 fast twitch. So the story here is, your body makes a stronger muscle but I only see it when new athletes show off and they burn their type 2 muscles, then they're not strong anymore.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2019, 05:38:53 PM »

Now that I've practiced slow twitch muscle a long time I'm adding more range of motion, positive results.

I have started training my hands so I can work. Basically, I shouldn't be able to feel my fingers move and they need to be strong enough to press each key with a similar or nice feeling in my wrist, that is my immediate goal.
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2019, 09:53:54 PM »

Oh yeah that reminds me, I've been feeling pretty down and just not very good. A lot more often than when I was on keto. I looked to see if others felt the same way coming from a keto diet and it turns out I wasn't alone. So I'm just going to go back to a keto-focused diet again and quit trying to gain fat.

I just don't feel as healthy or as good as I did, despite eating traditionally healthy foods... fruits, veggies, whole wheat everything, etc.

Part of that is probably because I was trying to get 1000+ calories extra a day but I also think a part of that is because of the diet change. I just feel so moody about things I really shouldn't be(like this guy at work is really cute and bi but taken already and was surprised how disappointed I felt)

I hope it's not as hellish going back to it as it was when I first did keto >_> augh I felt like utter crap for like a month...

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
Pfotegeist
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »

I guess it's your unique physical makeup.

Whole wheat is something you want to avoid anyway, based on my experience.
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »

Yeah definitely, my body seemed to do really well with keto. I tried calorie cutting to lose weight the traditional way, I ended up looking a like stick. It's very difficult to build muscle on a low calorie diet... High protein keto diet I've been able to build muscle + lose fat at the same time.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »

I think now that I'm healthier my brain's starting to run wild on its own, I've added video games back to my routine.

Well it was either that, or I visualize that I am the person I want to be constantly to stay positive.
Karlipoppins
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2019, 08:20:02 PM »

Yeah definitely, my body seemed to do really well with keto. I tried calorie cutting to lose weight the traditional way, I ended up looking a like stick. It's very difficult to build muscle on a low calorie diet... High protein keto diet I've been able to build muscle + lose fat at the same time.

I started Keto 3 months ago after starting a bet on HealthyWage (50lbs in 6 months. Waged $600 for $1280 reward!!). I'm down 45 lbs already but feel like I lost as much muscle as I lost fat. I exercice (cardio) a few times a week, but I think I really need to find a way to build muscle back. What kind of exercice do you do?
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »

I started Keto 3 months ago after starting a bet on HealthyWage (50lbs in 6 months. Waged $600 for $1280 reward!!). I'm down 45 lbs already but feel like I lost as much muscle as I lost fat. I exercice (cardio) a few times a week, but I think I really need to find a way to build muscle back. What kind of exercice do you do?

Wow fantastic work :D very nice!!!

The key to keeping muscle and even building muscle on keto is protein if you're training! You'd want to follow the guidelines for keto(high fat, moderate protein, low carb) but if your exercising, trying to build muscle, you'll want to follow the old 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Also to keep muscle from breaking down, I've heard HMB is good for that but it's a bit expensive. I tried some because a supplement place near me was closing and everything was like 50% off. I think it helped? But I didn't notice much of a difference.

Another thing that works for me is taking supplements that assist with muscle recovery. Maca and creatine are great for this(and can also increase workout performance) There's a few other supplements you can take for muscle recovery but those are a couple I cycle. Right now I've been off of all supplements for a week because I'm having my wisdom teeth taken out today... and I really notice that without maca and creatine I don't feel quite the same energy when working out.

As for exercises, I mainly focus on my legs, abs and ass at the gym. My day job keeps my upper body fairly toned and I build chest muscle like absurdly easily and I don't want a big chest. So I usually avoid chest exercises. So I'll warm up with 15 minutes on the elliptical at high resistance(really gets the quads and ass warmed up) and then I do stuff like weighted squats, leg press(sometimes weighted but I prefer the machine) glute press, calf extension, etc... for abs, I just use the ab machine at the gym.

My goal is to have a sweet ass and legs(which I do currently but am continuing to make it better~) so if you're trying to get swole all around then absolutely do bench press, preacher curl, other kinds of dumbbell curls, triceps dips, idk whatever other exercises you want. It really just depends on what you're training for. Do you want more muscle mass? More muscle strength? For muscle mass you want to do like 12-15 reps each set. For strength 8-10 iirc.

Oh also! The more muscle mass you have on your body, the more calories your body burns at rest(and also the more calories your body uses to repair the muscle) so adding a weight training routine could also help with fat loss.

However also know that I'm not a professional at anything so I'm just saying what I do, what I know and what works for me.

Oh yeah also, I'll take my dog for a job a couple times a week but I don't like running, it's a bit tough on my shins so I don't run a lot... Biking/elliptical is a lot better way to get cardio in if you ask me. But my dog likes it so I do it for him :3
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:10:26 PM by velocirection » Logged

Karlipoppins
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »

I guess I mostly need to work on my belly/hips fat and then upper body muscles. I bike to work and regularly jog so I think my legs are OK but I still have as much of a pear shape as I did 3 months ago.

I'll try to do some abs / dumbbell sets and see if that helps
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »

Pushups are also killer for building chest muscle(and the other muscle groups but mainly chest) I used to do a set of preacher curls, 50 pushups, another set of preacher curls, 40 pushups and so on. With 20 to 30 seconds rest between sets.

But like I said, I don't want a huge upper body. I like being a bit more feminine shaped. But if that's what you want, go for it!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic