Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 10:56:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDevs Getting Fit
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Devs Getting Fit  (Read 40380 times)
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2014, 02:07:08 AM »

I took those Neila Rey posters and combined Samurai and Super Saiyan into a workout more fit for my size and preferences

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2018, 05:18:16 AM »

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »

where's super joe :[
im not buff anymore actually i just dropped 4 kilos training for a half marathon (running is the puny coward's exercise)
BlueprintofAgency
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »

Just finished college and man the journey my body went through. Used to be real fit freshman and sophomore year but thesis work and game dev took over. Now that I'm done I think taking the summer to gain a healthy body back is my best bet. Here's to getting back to it so we can work longer an harder.  Beer!

If there is nothing but what we make in this world, brothers. Let us make good.
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2018, 02:37:48 AM »

After almost a year of systematically ruining my body, I went into full overdrive, running, cycling and mountain hiking... Now my leg below my knee hurts like hell... and I have a forest battle larp on weekend. Dammit! D:

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »

where's super joe :[
im not buff anymore actually i just dropped 4 kilos training for a half marathon (running is the puny coward's exercise)
i did the half marathon and felt like i was going to shit my self so in 10 days im going to start lifting weights again because i never feel like im going to shit my pants when i do that, and shitting my self is as holy to me as the sanctity of the marriage bed is to a mormon and i will NOT have it forced upon me against my will
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2018, 01:18:36 AM »

in 10 days im going to start lifting weights again

Hell yeah, lets do this!

Dre Reid
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »

I do some moderate weightlifting, yoga, and walk everywhere I go.
Bernord
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2018, 11:27:22 AM »

I run 10km distance every 3 days and do some exercise with my own weight, don't like gyms much, they are stuffed with people and you gotta share sweaty instruments XD
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2018, 04:55:23 AM »

im buff as heck
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »

im buff as heck
keep killing it brother
Pfotegeist
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2019, 08:03:19 AM »

So I've been working on my body because it's the cause of a lot of my down time.

Since I hate giving half explanations here's the full recent history:

I don't eat gluten more than once per week, I guess it's been 4 years. My nervous system was at risk if I kept eating it, and I'd probably be permanently disabled by now without this change.

I've been focusing on my back muscle posture, it took a while because my back muscle was pretty crap. Although with my eyesight I habitually lean in to read, I'm working on that I'll explain my method at the end.

I increased the amount of fat soluble vitamins I eat daily.

Most recently I've been able to strengthen my aerobic muscle, and apparently I've only been working anaerobic muscle so I think I'll be able to train an appropriate posture.

I practiced meditating to strengthen my posture for a while. I don't relax my mind, I gauge how much tension is in the muscle. When I breath in the aerobic muscles engage, and I flex, straighten out, or lift. When I breathe out I disengage, relaxing as much as possible.

I haven't walked much and my calves have some fat on them now. It's unusual.

So my eyesight's not all there and it's obvious it's because the muscle doesn't focus longer than a moment.  So I train them with breathing, still bad eyesight.  Hopefully I can fix this and start coordinating breaks from work with my eyes getting tired since they're obviously the most sensitive aerobic/ slow twitch muscles (are these still muscle terms?). I'll bring it back up if there's a change but the eye problem started early, so it'll probably be the last thing.

edit--
Over time I learned about posture subjects like:
flex your muscles (it's common sense)
stretching
cardio, eg walking
tai chi from China hinted at proper breathing
meditative posture that started in India also strongly hints at breathing
body building tips were ok for training anaerobic muscle
neck exercise
mewing

It doesn't help if there's an underlying problem, it became a back and forth game of building muscle and seeing it vanish in a week... It may be normal for everyone but believe me that's not how muscles are supposed to work. There's a blatant correlation to the memory fragility, and long term memory loss that forces people to go relearn things over and over.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:28:08 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »

Ya' boy Velocirection keeps his body in check~

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
Pfotegeist
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2019, 07:54:02 AM »

I've been focusing on breathing and I found out my chest and lung related muscles were not really working as well as they should have so it's official nothing on my body wasn't affected at some point.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »

Good news. I don't want to talk about it but the changes have been good.  And my eyesight has gotten a little better but what I learned is it has something to do with how I blink, like I should blink slower, and it doesn't really work if I want to stare... ok I'll admit it, at this rate I'm unbecoming a bunny, but I can try to remain true to the ideas I had for a little while.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2019, 10:05:52 PM »

I've been lifting weights for ~3 months and dropping fat weight. Am usually walking a lot. Alongside walking everywhere I enjoy taking long-ass hikes a couple of times a week.

Picked up rucking recently and started replacing walks with it (10-20kg depending on the day/distance) and I'm loving it so far. Seems to be a pretty decent supplement to leg days after my lower muscles are already pretty spent.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »

I'm not a dev but I compose music and make sound design for games and films. On the side I've also started learning JavaScript to upgrade my website more and make it more responsive, hopefully somewhere this year.

I have a daily routine where I do a set of pushups, pullups and crunches. Very simple stuff but it gets the blood flowing. Afterwards I do some stretches and I also walk and/or cycle regularly. Tomorrow I'm actually going to incorporate another exercise to my routine, jump rope with intermittent exercises like pushups and crunches. I'll start with 10min, if I can even get that far for at least a few weeks and build it up from there.

Cheers,
Sid
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:12:47 AM by sidbarnhoorn » Logged

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Pfotegeist
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »

I'm assuming I'm still unhealthy. There were some obvious symptoms but whenever they lessen it's easy to jump to the falsehood that there was a complete recovery. Even yesterday there was a set of muscles on my back, I don't think I ever used consciously before, so I flex them and it helps support my chest and shoulders, so like oh those are important where were they all my life.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »

I'm actually going to incorporate another exercise to my routine, jump rope with intermittent exercises like pushups and crunches.
As someone who has been jumping rope regularly for 20+ years, I definitely recommend to incorporate it into your routine at least 1-2 times a week. Jumping rope is a pretty scalable exercise. I personally jump 40+ min straight with few intense intervals in between. Benefits: great full body exercise to build up stamina and strengthen the joints. For that, my choice has been a heavy 4mm thick steel rope (you can assemble your own if you cannot get it otherwise), not the lightweight speed ropes boxers are usually using. But for a starter, any rope will do.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1132738172314537984
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic