Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:39:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Sound Effects
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Sound Effects  (Read 32174 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »

Hey everbody!

While working on the last animations of GK, it came to my mind that we don't have any kind of soundeffects for IB yet. I was wondering which way we should pursue with their style and which things need to be set in sound at all.

There are many different characters each with unique moves and I think their personality should be emphasized by matching sound effects, thus acting as another part of the association to the original character.

A possible option would be to use sfxr. I'm not sure if the 8-bit flavor fits too well to the overall style though, but an advantage would be that you can have a high output pretty quickly and cover many different aspects of a character.

A feasible better solution would be to get as many sounds from the original games and re-use them as they are. I don't think there would be much sense in "remixing" the originals, since many sound effects don't jump at the player as much, thus making a collage a thinkable option. But I could be totally wrong here too...

Also that would mean contacting all the developers again and begging for their sound effects, which doesn't make it sound a too appealing option.

Another way would be to find sounders who have played the original games (and know what it sounds like) and want to have their own take on the sounds and record, mix.. and whatever is necessary to get new and fresh sound effects.
But this is probably the most involved way and I can't imagine many people wanting to take that task upon them.

So what do you think?  Shrug
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:07:20 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »

Another possibility is to use edited sounds from sources like FreeSound (with proper crediting, of course). I think it would be best to use the original sounds where possible and permissible, but these sounds could fill the gaps.

For characters that use 8-bit sound effects (like Lameza), sfxr could be used instead of FreeSound.

Honestly, I think the best possibility would be to try to get the developers to give us a few of the most distinctive sound effects for the character (like Naija's beast roar and plant growth), and use FreeSound resources for more generic sounds (like Naija's kicks).

I'm no audio guru, though, so someone else probably knows better.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »

I think we should at least try to get some distinctive sounds for each character. One of the things I really liked about Smash Bros was the authentic sound effects like the 'dingdingding' of coin blocks and the the 'hyaa' of Link's spin attack.

Some of the sound effects I think are memorable enough to be worth seeking out:
- The bonesaw sounds, obviously.
- The 'shing' sound from Lugaru that plays when you kill an enemy. This could be the sound effect for Turner's counter.
- The 'chugchugchug' of Quote's Machine Gun
- The 'pyeeew' of Quote dying
- The rapidfire explosions of bomb blocks in Bonesaw (which, admittedly, was originally taken from Kirby)

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but it will be harder to get some sounds than others. For example I can't imagine Nicalis giving out sounds (if Pixel permits Cavestory usage at all), but I guess someone needs to get back to them anyway, since things have fallen asleep quite a bit in this department.

Another example where it might be hard to get original sounds for is Nikujin, but I might be wrong.
Anyway, this would be a perfect task for people who want to contribute, but don't know how. Just the question how to communicate this to the community?

Clemens Scott
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:53:45 AM »

So, yeah, before this thread disapears in the forums abyss, I wanted to ask if there are people who would like to help us out on this?

Here's a list on the characters and creators we could start out with:

Naija (Derek or Alec)
Golden Knight (Xerus)
Nikujin (Uta a.k.a. Ikiki)
Dwarf (Bay12)
Turner (Wolfire)
Trilby (Yahtzee)
Liero (Joosa Riekkinen)
Xoda (Konjak)

Clemens Scott
godsavant
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

I think we should start at home w/ GK, Naija and Xoda.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »

First milestone should be done soon. Could anyone make some basic collision sounds for the release?

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:34:14 AM »

What about just getting the sounds from the games themself? And if we need some effects that aren't in the games, we'll simply find them or make them.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Yes, that would work fine. So long as we have sounds one way or another, it's all good.

Yellowboy
Level 0

Hey, hey, whaddya say?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

I think that we should also include crowd effects, and make sure that they are right. I looked around in Freesource, but I didn't find anything near as good as we can make it. I've got a Rock Band microphone that works well for voices, but then we'd need somebody else to do clapping. (I guess if we make crowd effects then we're including chants?)

The reason why I suggest this is when I played the original Smash Brothers. Anybody who played Melee/Brawl first never got a chance to hear what a good gasp from the crowd does for the game's addictiveness. When I think about it, I played a lot more matches on the original than on Melee; the crowd sounded better. BRING BACK AWESOME CROWDS!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:40:24 PM by Yellowboy » Logged

Well, well, how can you tell?
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »

^^^ Oh god would this be rad.  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:06:32 AM »

I will give crowd effects a go next week after my last exam if you like, sounds like a good experiment, might not work but i'll do what i can.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »

Cool idea, but we're really getting ahead of ourselves here. We don't even have basic punching sounds yet.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »

I could punch somebody if needed.. just need to remember to record it.. might just do it anyway.

O_O

Nah but i hear ya, i'm gonna be experimenting with this anyway, so if i get anything worth hearing, ill throw it on here for the game. Otherwise, keep working on the steel frames of this motherfugger.

Yellowboy
Level 0

Hey, hey, whaddya say?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »

http://www.stonesbucket.com/sound-packs-flash-animation-sfx-free-sounds-free-sfx/action-pack/

This is perfect.

Well, well, how can you tell?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »

Those are some great gun sound effects. Combat sounds aren't perfect, but will do for now. Explosions are a little complex, but that's nothing Audacity can't fix.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »

Could anyone point me in the direction of good sound effects for Naija's seed summon and shield song?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:10:54 AM »

Now that I think about it, I'll also need a sound for the death worm exiting the sand, and a quaking sound for right before he exits.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »

2 things:1) BONESAWWW IS READY! (i got the sound directly from a video so maybe you'll listen the public yelling) http://www.mediafire.com/?5uzrroynoog
2)[N the way of the ninja] sounds http://www.mediafire.com/?zzzzoizjmc0

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »

I think we should just have someone with a powerful voice redo it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic