Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:58:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUntitled zombie stealth survival horror
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled zombie stealth survival horror  (Read 2905 times)
HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »

Hi guys and gals,
I have recently been working on a 2D top down survival horror game.
It's going to be mainly stealth, but with a tiny bit of action thrown in.
Still a long way to go but it's shaping up nicely.

Video can be found here: 

And more details/media here: http://hellaciousgames.com/?p=36

I am hoping to be releasing early next year on OSX and Windows, with linux and iOS coming a bit later.
It's still a bit rough, but a lot of the mechanics are in there. Let me know what you think.
Cheers

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »

Hey,

I think we have a lot in common! Smiley Love your line of sight and lighting system, is it GPU based? And are you using an existing engine?

HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:37:44 AM »

Hey,

I think we have a lot in common! Smiley Love your line of sight and lighting system, is it GPU based? And are you using an existing engine?

Hehe, thanks. It's my own 2D engine that I have been working on for many years, just C++/OpenGL(ES). The LOS is just projecting points away from the player to turn collision lines into black quads, plus some textured triangles for the penumbra. There's a little more to it (projected midpoints) so I will probably discuss it in a blog post sometime.
Anyway, glad you like it. I am currently working on a aural/visual model for the stealth aspect.
 Gentleman

Edit: I just saw your devlog. Cooooool! That's basically where I am heading. Your system seems a lot more sophisticated than mine. Nice job!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »

I just saw your devlog. Cooooool! That's basically where I am heading. Your system seems a lot more sophisticated than mine. Nice job!

Thanks! Smiley I'll also make a devlog about it as soon as I find some time!

And the blue lines we're seeing in the screenshots, what are they? You're using a sort of grid based system for the pathfinding?

HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:00:05 AM »

I just saw your devlog. Cooooool! That's basically where I am heading. Your system seems a lot more sophisticated than mine. Nice job!

Thanks! Smiley I'll also make a devlog about it as soon as I find some time!

And the blue lines we're seeing in the screenshots, what are they? You're using a sort of grid based system for the pathfinding?

It's my semi-dynamic navigation mesh. It is basically a bunch of circles (initialised in a grid but soon move out of it) that jitter, grown and shrink within the environment and perform line-of-sight tests with neighbours. They are all put into uniform grid buckets for fast lookups. I want to have quite a dynamic world, with destructible walls, doors, windows, moving obstacles, etc, so I wanted a robust/dynamic system that I could just forget about and be confident that it will eventually find the right path.
Then I use A* pathfinding on the mesh and pull it taught to find the shortest path between any 2 points. It's pretty fast.
The mesh is constantly being updated so it adapts to any changes. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to give a rough path, which gets optimised later.

Sirowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Visuals are very nice, I am jealous of your nice shadows.

Do you plan to focus on the stealth-and-escape-if-detected part or will there be other mechanics as well? "Tiny bit of action" = shooting? Escaping?

HIVE21 [Squad-based Tactic]
Devlog | Website | Twitter
HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »

Thanks. The shadow are pretty easy because I can just splash black over all the screen. hehe
Yeah, escape is better than fighting for the most part. I am planning to have a kind of resident-evil-like limited ammo. If every bullet is precious and shooting a gun draws the enemies, I tend to be very very cautious about using it. That difficult choice increases the stress I think, so it's actually better than simply having no weapon.

HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:27 PM »

For those that are interested, I have written a short blog post about how I do the wall shadows.
http://hellaciousgames.com/?p=49
It's pretty basic, but the result is blisteringly fast and perfect for my needs.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:38:28 PM by HellaciousPuppy » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic