Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:35:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhy don't I see rts indie games?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Why don't I see rts indie games?  (Read 9587 times)
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »

Isometric/3D Art

Eh, I disagree on this one, a top-down view can work just as fine (and it'll be probably easier to program, at that).

And I agreed with @Sit. An example of this is a game someone made in the Low-Rez Jam hosted on GameJolt. And a good one.
http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/cmd-kill/26318/

Suminsky
Level 0

mehhhh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »

Dunno if anyone mentioned it, but I think implementing the ai for an RTS is a humongous task, and a very important one, since stupid enemies or troops will most certainly ruin the gameplay.

You need the "god/general" ai controlling the enemy, with requires all sorts of analysis of the current game state, and the ai for the troopers, with decent pathfinding and steering behavior. Those things also tend to be computational intensive, requiring performance optimizations.

If you compare with 2d platformers for example, a simple patrolling left to right for an enemy can be satisfying enough.

The other thing is balancing...balancing certainly can be the most time consuming aspect of game design, and RTS suffers a lot from it... Indies dont have access to a bunch of paid play testers like huge companies.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic