Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:46:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShe Remembered Caterpillars: Release Date > OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: She Remembered Caterpillars: Release Date > OUT NOW!  (Read 24529 times)
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2016, 12:35:43 AM »

I always wanted a water effect for those water forest levels. I had a look at a lot of the shaders in the unity asset store but most of them are geared toward 3D. Too much of everything. Fortunately there is one that actually works quite nicely so far: Water 2D Kit by Raving Robots.

Here is a GIF of a test in action. I might have to amp it up again a bit. Almost too subtle.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:18 AM »

I did not notice the water at first, everything else looks much more interesting in that gif. Grin
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2016, 01:07:14 AM »

I did not notice the water at first, everything else looks much more interesting in that gif. Grin

Haha, I take that as a compliment. Thanks. Though, yes, the effect is a little too subtle at the moment but at the same time I don't want to detract the attention from the main area of the game. ^____^

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2016, 01:53:44 AM »

I did not notice the water animation. It's totally clear it's supposed to be water so this way it's perfect. It's not dragging too much attention but when you look at it you see the nice water animation. It just does not scream WATER, which is fine. Smiley
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2016, 06:19:41 AM »

It actually quite beautiful with that subtle water effect. Really compliments the hand drawn look of it.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2016, 02:28:12 AM »

Hey, all!

Thanks for the kind comments, @and and @zorg!

I haven't posted much in the past weeks. First my son had fever and then my MacBook died. Fortunately all is well again, my boy healthy and happy, my MacBook repaired at almost no cost because of an Apple acknowledged defective mainboard (and that a year after the end of extended warranty). Yay.

So, without any further ado – I made a little GIF showing off the process of Level 13 from my first sketch to the final background painting.

Here is a still of the above mentioned level:

And, last but not least a sketch for a new world in She Remembered Caterpillars – the dark gloomy underwater cave with coral skeletons! 0___0

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »

Another little update. This is for Act 5 in the game. Somewhere in the middle of it.

This was the first background illustration I made. I really like the sci-fi data visualisation juxtaposed with a data-cloud-sphere-polygon thing.

Testing it against the level design and it became clear that his was not going to work. I removed the data-vis but now it looked too empty.

Too empty not good. I tried adding the data-vis into the background. That gave the whole illustration a nice depth but the fun of it was lost. No use either.

And the final result. On a whim I decided to go a bit into the deconstructive direction and include the actual hexagon grid we use for the game. At the same time it is a nod to the sci-fi-ness of the original idea. The water was another quick idea that turned out nice, especially with our water shader.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2016, 01:05:06 AM »

And then, we are super proud to finally offer you all the demo, on Steam no less!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/470780

Let us know if you experience any weird issues. Anything! We love to hear from you. <3

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »

And then, we are super proud to finally offer you all the demo, on Steam no less!

Congrats, Daniel! Hope it does well!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2016, 02:50:45 AM »

@DireLogomachist, thanks!

Screen Head Media
Level 0

Digital games in all shapes and sizes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2016, 03:48:27 AM »

I played through the demo and its outright beautyful! I love the illustartions and animations, as well as the simple mechanics and puzzles Smiley

The atmospheric sounds are also great.

I noticed some minor issues which I will list below. But even those did not affect the beauty of this game Wink

1. Icons in the games menu (lower left corner) were not clear to me. I accidently closed the game the first time.
2. The ingame menu lags a bit when you open it.
3. If you go back to the title and start the game the Icon for the ingame menu (lower left corner) is missing.
4. Characters and enviroment sometims have incorrect z-ordering, when a character crosses a bridge.
5. An effect, that shows to which tile you sent the character would be nice (like in Monument Valley)
6. Sometimes the background sounds are so subtle, that I thought there are no sounds at all.

Keep on the awesome work! Smiley
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2016, 05:00:42 AM »

@Screen Head Media thank you for the good words and the feedback. Very much appreciated.

> 1. I need to think about this. All of them are based on the symbols found in the game combined with conventional icons for the specific purpose. I can see that this is not immediately apparent. The easiest option is probably labeling them.
> 2. I will pass this on to David (already have Smiley )
> 3. same as above
> 4. uhmm. same as above
> 5. That is on the to-do list. Thanks for the reminder.
> 6. The sound is not mastered, yet. That is another thing on the to-do list. However, there are parts that are intentionally very quiet.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »

The demo is lovely! The artwork is stunning and i like the gameplay premise. I'm interested in additional gameplay and the mechanics you'll come up with. Smiley

My only critic would be the menu.

This is your short ingame menu within a level. The first button is obviously the quit button. The second button is something like a replay button which restarts the whole game, including the logo screens (i doubt, anyone wants to see them again at this point, sorry). The third button restarts the current level and the fourth closes the menu. But i think the menu icons could be more distinct. Here are some suggestions, to show which (more conservative) direction i have in mind:

I believe, you need a home screen which prominently offers the possibility to continue, like you did. But it's not a complete home screen without level select, settings and credits (that's the place for those who want to know something about the creators beside the logos, imo).

Edit:
Maybe you should move the quit button to the home screen and remove it from the level menu. People will quit the game accidentally.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:28:26 PM by zorg » Logged
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »

Hey zorg!

Thanks for the good words and the extensive and constructive feedback.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I like the idea of the arrow pointing towards a 'home' and switching the direction for the 'reset' button makes a lot of sense. I will use that.

The home screen (and the demo) is still a bit WIP. A page with credits is in the works. A 'resume game' button for the home screen is an excellent idea.

For the demo I do not see a level selection screen as essential but there is no doubt that we will need it for the full version. Below is an untested rough sketch, a bit like a progress bar.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »

I'm sure this is going to be addressed, but for me right now under 1080p I sometimes feel the screen to be a bit small. I really want to see those art and animations up close (they are gorgeous!), so if the player can zoom in/out it'd be great.

The level selection sketch looks great.  Is the Evacuation text part of the level text or exlusive to the level selection screen? I hope it's the in-level text.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »

I'm fully aware of the WIP status of the demo. I just wanted to know which menu structure you have in mind. I like the idea of having a very short in-level menu (exit -> home screen) in addition to a more traditional home screen (exit -> quit). The timeline progress bar is a nice idea for level selection.

Which target platforms do you have in mind beside Steam/PC? I'm not sure if the game is suited for smartphones, maybe it is with zoom and pan controls. But i guess it would perform great on tablet computers.

Instead of the right click, you could use double-click/double-tap. Would be pretty intuitive for merging or splitting two characters, wouldn't it?

Edit: Added an additional menu mockup.

Open main menu
Resume

Close main menu | Level select | Audio | ? (About, Controls, ...) | Quit
Resume

Open main menu
Level timeline
Cancel/Confirm

Open short menu

In short: I love your minimal UI, please keep it! :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:58:17 PM by zorg » Logged
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2016, 01:53:51 AM »

@fall_ark, I am happy to hear that you enjoy the visuals so much! <3

What resolution are you playing at? 720p? Parts of the background get cut off in this case. My 5-year old MB Pro is at an awkward 1680x1050. Same there. A solution I am not 100% happy with. I was thinking about just zooming out far enough that no letterbox is visible.

All visuals are developed at 4k resolution. We will release a retina build a bit later after the release of the full version.

The text for the level selection is actually a left-over from our old demo. Dummy text, sort of. My idea was that you would be able to re-read the story when you open the mini-in-game-menu.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2016, 02:03:06 AM »

@zorg, wow. So much love. Thanks for all the mock-ups and input! <3 Will consider your thoughts.

The only other target platform that we will definitely aim for is mobile tablets. I think releasing the game for phones will be tricky. However, all levels and backgrounds are designed in such a way that there is a lot of room for trimming. In the image below the small blue rectangle is the safe 16:9 area that could be used on a phone. I have not tested this extensively but technically it should work on a modern smartphone (iPhone 4 might be too small).

PS.: The above is a screenshot of what I am currently working on.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:10:04 AM by danielgoffin » Logged

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »

Dear all, it's been a while, hasn't it?

Last week we showed SRC at gamescom. It was interesting. We got a bit of media coverage and it showed us once again that just by the aesthetic alone the game is quite attractive for families. In this regard gamescom was more successful than PAX East which seems to have more of a "core gamer" crowd.

Shortly before gamescom we got interviewed by Nicole Carpenter for Kill Screen. The article focuses a lot on the narrative and the inspirations for the game. Have a look at it here: https://killscreen.com/articles/remembered-caterpillars-turns-personal-grief-pretty-puzzles/

In the meantime I have been steadily working on the backgrounds of my last post. I am still at it, some parts are already ok, others I have yet to be happy with. Fortunately, I decided to step away from that particular section and work on something I started more than two months ago. Remember this?

I opened the files, reworked the background gradient here and there and suddenly everything fell into the right place. I managed to finish four background paintings in less than two days. That felt really good. Here is one of these:

And then there is this: WE WON AN AWARD WITH OUR DEMO! — The Intel Level Up Game Demo Contest, in the category Best Puzzle Game.

Which leads up to the final part:

We will show the demo at three locations at PAX West! The Ysbryd booth (our publisher), the Indie Minibooth (Sunday and Monday) and on Monday from 2-6pm at the Intel booth.

Welp, that turned into a lengthy update! Lots of exclamation marks.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »

Congratulations! :D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic