Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:52:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShe Remembered Caterpillars: Release Date > OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: She Remembered Caterpillars: Release Date > OUT NOW!  (Read 24525 times)
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2016, 02:19:59 AM »

Dear all,

a new post, long overdue with pictures and important announcements:

Like every year, the holiday season combined with sales makes visibility and competition a challenge. After careful consideration and with support of our publisher we have decided to push back the release date to early next year. Competition will remain tough in 2017 but the additional time will give us the opportunity to polish the game further, add a few localisations, and prepare a beautiful new trailer.

And...

the past few months have been intense. We went to PAX West, enjoyed the attention and the game is in a stable pre-release state now, entered into the IGF competition. All background paintings are done (in 2560x1440 no less) and the UI has been implemented almost completely. Many of the remaining tasks are polish: fix tiny animations issues, add a few beautiful fx, and the above mentioned translations.

After many so doubtful months I am happy to see everything come together like this. Below a few images:

The main menu, chapters (or levels) unlock in sequence, each with its own tiny quasi-scientific diagram.

Chapter 15: Moldy air, preserved in crystal halls.

Chapter 25: Petrified, reaching out, never touching.

Last but not least, if you haven't played the demo
— it's on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/470780
— it's on itch.io: https://thejumpsuits.itch.io/she-remembered-caterpillars
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:43:40 AM by danielgoffin » Logged

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2016, 04:37:34 AM »

Hey Daniel, is the demo different to the build that was at Rezzed earlier in the year?

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2016, 04:42:09 AM »

Hey Daniel, is the demo different to the build that was at Rezzed earlier in the year?

Only slightly different (apart from having Steam achievements). We updated the demo October 1st with a few fixes but most of these were cosmetic.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »

Decided that it would be good to highlight the inclusive design of SRC in a single image:

What do you think?

Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »

The purple shape sort of looks like a circle at an angle. I get that the characters fit those shapes too but I'd rather see the shape actually on them in the same way the caterpillars have the shape on top.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2016, 07:05:54 PM »

Decided that it would be good to highlight the inclusive design of SRC in a single image:

What do you think?

That's pretty cool and also made me think about using shapes on the color based things of own game Smiley

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »

Everyone seems to be talking about Pokemon Sun and Moon these days; we feel justified in our decision to postpone the release of SRC. It definitely relieved us of some of the stress we were under and it gives us enough time to implement a few effects in the game ... (which otherwise we would have implemented after release)

This click-effect really helps while playing the game. It is a good feedback of where you are directing the character and even if you are not paying attention to the character itself you can see the currently selected colour by the top part of the click-effect.

And, as mentioned above, we have implemented a few shiny visuals: most notably light rays and dancing particles. It really adds a nice layer to the atmosphere of the game. The other levels will receive moving clouds and such.

ckimbrough
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »

This click-effect really helps while playing the game. It is a good feedback of where you are directing the character and even if you are not paying attention to the character itself you can see the currently selected colour by the top part of the click-effect.

The click-effect is definitely helpful, and the click-effect's design in the GIF obviously fits the aesthetics of the game, but I do feel like it may be too small or could benefit from colour.

And, as mentioned above, we have implemented a few shiny visuals: most notably light rays and dancing particles. It really adds a nice layer to the atmosphere of the game. The other levels will receive moving clouds and such.

Looks absolutely fantastic Kiss Kiss
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2016, 01:08:31 PM »

Wow! I really love the art style here, beautiful!

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments.

The click-effect is definitely helpful, and the click-effect's design in the GIF obviously fits the aesthetics of the game, but I do feel like it may be too small or could benefit from colour.

Actually, there is a bit of colour. The top part of the effect shortly shows the currently selected colour/character. We tried making the effect more obvious but that felt distracting.

The purple shape sort of looks like a circle at an angle. I get that the characters fit those shapes too but I'd rather see the shape actually on them in the same way the caterpillars have the shape on top.

Certainly, at angle the shapes are not as easily readable as presented on the side of the image. It is basically a result of me wanting to have interesting characters and at the same time give colour-deficient players the ability to play the game without adding filters or extra UI. So, the result is a trade-off: the shapes and symbols inform the design but they are not supposed to overpower them.

So ... rub, rub, polish, rinse, wash, dry, wax, soft cloth, rub, rub, repeat ... and I find time to post another bit of GIF. Little things we are integrating to make the game more lively.

One thing are the position lights in the city zone. The red ones have been in the game for a while already but I think they really start to shine in combination with the white flash lights.

The other thing are those weird eye-like mushrooms in the forest area at the start of the game. I always wanted to do something with them, something that added to the weirdness feeling. So now they squint whenever a gammy (character) encounters an obstacle. The effect is great, I think. The first time you see it you are not even sure what happened because it is mostly visible in the periphery.

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2016, 04:22:13 PM »

The water in the bottom is some shader trickery?

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2016, 03:03:16 AM »

The water in the bottom is some shader trickery?

Yes, it is a plugin for Unity called Water 2d Kit > https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55290 It was a wild guess that it would work for isometric view as opposed to the advertised side view. Now we are also using it to deform clouds and fog.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2016, 03:07:20 AM »

As we are nearing the end of the production the part where I can post new sketches and illustrations gets smaller. I am now working on a new trailer for the release.

One of the finishing touches in the game is the localisation. Next to the original English version we have implemented German and French, a few more (Russian, possibly Chinese and Japanese) will be added as well.

Below a GIF of our options screen

noomnau
Level 0

let's do this, quick and painful!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2016, 07:40:30 AM »

I like your art style very much, and the puzzle mechanics in demo are awesome!

Kernel Bug - action platformer\runner\adventure videogame https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47957.0
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2016, 08:58:01 AM »

I absolutely adored symmetrain and I have been hoping to see your name on a new project ever since. This looks absolutely gorgeous especially the animation and background work. Love puzzle games and cannot wait for this to come out. Best of luck with the release.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2016, 01:24:52 AM »

I like your art style very much, and the puzzle mechanics in demo are awesome!

Thanks a lot. If I am not mistaken, you have been following me on twitter for a while. Thank you for all the RTs and support. I really appreciate it! <3

I absolutely adored symmetrain and I have been hoping to see your name on a new project ever since. This looks absolutely gorgeous especially the animation and background work. Love puzzle games and cannot wait for this to come out. Best of luck with the release.

Ohhh! Thanks for the big compliment. I am always happy to hear that. Financially Symmetrain was a big disappointment but comments like yours make it all worth it!

Most likely we will release She Remembered Caterpillars in January. So, the waiting time will not be long.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2016, 02:40:24 AM »

I'm scrolling through the thread and I'm mesmerized by all the gifs. The game is wonderful in motion, just such a joy to look at!

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »

I'm scrolling through the thread and I'm mesmerized by all the gifs. The game is wonderful in motion, just such a joy to look at!

Ohh, thank you.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2016, 02:59:03 AM »

First time on this thread.
The mechanic is super cool, and those background looks sick!! I loved your choice of colors for them, definitely makes the characters pop.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »

First time on this thread.
The mechanic is super cool, and those background looks sick!! I loved your choice of colors for them, definitely makes the characters pop.

Thanks a lot! We are getting close to release. Excitement is building!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic