Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:46:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFailed Competition Spectacular (Bossmen and Space Harriet)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Failed Competition Spectacular (Bossmen and Space Harriet)  (Read 3090 times)
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »

Well, the final results are in, and the judges' responses have been a resounding "no thanks" all around. So before they go where all games of the not-quite-there quality go, I'd like to give them one last hurrah.

Bossmen (DOWNLOAD|

)
ENTRY, IGF Student Showcase

SYNOPSIS: Bossmen has two simple mechanics: jetpack flight and laser shot. Using only these two mechanics, seven boss fights have been designed. In the same minimalistic vein, Bossmen features a retro 3D art style with an all chiptune soundtrack.

Final game made with my college gamedev club before I graduated. Would have liked to add more depth to the gameplay, but as with many student projects, we simply ran out of time. Not before we added excessive amounts of BLOOM and system reqs though!

Space Harriet in the Third Dimension (DOWNLOAD)
ENTRY, GAMMA3D

SYNOPSIS: In the year 20XX, Space Harriet is trapped in the THIRD DIMENSION. The locals are quite ornery, and will use energy stars and DEPTH DECEPTION to stop you dead. Luckily, Harriet’s armed with her jetpack, trusty hand blaster, and THIRD DIMENSIONAL mines, which explode at a variable distance on what some call the Z-AXIS. That’ll show those baddies some PERSPECTIVE!

The game's actually fairly playable without the 3D glasses, which is probably part of why it didn't fare too well at GAMMA. Awesome art by xerus and kicking technologic soundtrack by Adam Lederer.

NEXT YEAR I WILL DO BETTER. I HOPE.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:01:57 AM »

WOW 3D game looks awesome  Kiss Kiss
I'll give it a try when back home

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:46 AM »

WHERE DO YOU GET 3D GLASSES... UGH.

But, all those look great! Downloading bossmen now!
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 01:36:41 AM »

Space Harriet is good eats...
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »

I've got several. Let's see, should I use my Rocketter ones, the ones that came with "Shrek 3D", or the ones that came with "Journey to the Center of the Earth?" Decisions decisions.

I can't download Space Harret from where I am. Same as Spelunky, I get part way in and it dies.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »

I've got several. Let's see, should I use my Rocketter ones, the ones that came with "Shrek 3D", or the ones that came with "Journey to the Center of the Earth?" Decisions decisions.

I can't download Space Harret from where I am. Same as Spelunky, I get part way in and it dies.
Beg

Also, played bossmen.

You MUST make a full game out of that, levels and all. Keep the selection screen like it is, mega man style, but make full levels! It is amazing! Awesome health meters too. Every enemy could have one over it's head, and bosses stay the way they are?
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »

Thanks! If I ever "get the band back together," a Bossmen update would be awesome.

Download problems? Hrm... dreamhost has been a bit finicky these days. Maybe I can put up a mirror...

Rellik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »

No need, Sifu Peng!  I have got your back!  A mirror is here: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~alederer/games/space_harriet-2.0.zip

By the way, I'm the musician from the aforementioned projects.  I'm going to start posting here because I want to work on all your cool indie games  Mock Anger (I saw this emoticon and was in love instantly)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

I can also vouch for Rellik's awesome music-making skills.  Hand Thumbs Up Right He did the three-track song for SnakeBall that changes in mood depending on the snake's sanity and how close you are to winning.
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »

Space Harriet in the Third Dimension (DOWNLOAD)
ENTRY, GAMMA3D

That looks so appealing...

Yeah, where can I find 3D glasses! It doesn't matter, I had to try it out. If I understand correctly, I'll only have to avoid game over long enough to see that awesome thing in the screenshot. The graphics with its colors looks so nice. Ahh, makes me remember playing Space Harrier somewhere in Shenmue.

Edit: I got 67440 points but didn't see that awesome thing in the screenshot. Maybe it dislikes me? Concerned

I replayed some times, and at one point one of the trees looked like it had fallen, and then enemies started to appear upside down and some leaning to the side. That was cool. Intentional?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:56:33 AM by Dim_Yimma_H » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »

I replayed some times, and at one point one of the trees looked like it had fallen, and then enemies started to appear upside down and some leaning to the side. That was cool. Intentional?

Yes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic