Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:37:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinesssubscription business model
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: subscription business model  (Read 2463 times)
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »

I want to sell access to my iphone web app, I think a subscription business model would fit the bill, I think what Ill do is have a years access to the web app, what are my options, how can I sell a years access to the app, whats available to me. what services are available so I can do this.

They must be able to give the subscriber access, collect the payments and protect the access of the product, I don't want people downloading the product and then giving it out, I know you cannot save web apps on iphone, but a PC user could potentially download it to their PC, and then put it on a web site for free.

How do we sell access to a web site.

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »

As far as I know Apple doesn't support anything like this.  A quick google didn't turn up much either.  This is probably something that Apple doesn't support with the App Store.  If all you are doing is selling access to a website then there are many ways to make users pay to access sites.  What exactly is your app?  Is it even an app or just a website?
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:36 PM »

I think I've seen apps like that before. They do the subscription thing on their own though. Like, you get the app off the AppStore for free (or even for money) and then IN the app have to log in with your subscribed account to use it.

Actually, I think Remember The Milk is doing it like that. You can get the app for free and use it with your free account for 15 days. After that you either upgrade your account to a PRO account (25$ a year) or the app stops working.

Ironically, the "web-on-the-go" is the worst thing to happen to the iPhone, as pretty much every app wants you connected to something or else. Even completely offline programs (like a recording app) connect to the internet to display ads.
If you don't have a data flat for your iPhone you NEED to jailbreak it just so you can install BossPrefs and disable Edge.
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »

Ive decided to buy a cheap mini mac and convert the app using a program I have to a native app, doesnt run on windows mind, hense the cash outlay on a mac computer, I think native apps is the only real option. Though for some things a subscription business model may be the way, but I think its easier for me just to bite the bullet and convert the web app to a native app.

ShawnF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »

Talked to a guy I know who's been pretty successful with iphone game development (only one title, but it hit the top 10), here's what he had to say:

[20:02] ksfrison: hey, do you know offhand if you can do a subscription based fee model with iphone games?
[20:02] ksfrison: some guy was asking about it here
[20:04] CENSORED: well, i asked an apple guy about that
[20:04] CENSORED: they don't like that much
[20:04] CENSORED: but he was also pretty drunk when i was talking to him :-P
[20:04] CENSORED: however, there are a few apps that do it
[20:04] ksfrison: haha
[20:04] CENSORED: but they're apps, not games
[20:05] ksfrison: hm, interesting
[20:05] CENSORED: check out RTM (Remember the Milk)
[20:05] ksfrison: so probably if it were something really compelling they'd let it fly, but otherwise no?
[20:05] ksfrison: meh, I don't have an iphone, I can't check out any of them Smiley
[20:05] CENSORED: they're pretty loose right now, it's like the wild west, but i'd assume moving forward they're going to start tightening that all up
[20:05] CENSORED: RTM is not just on iPhone
[20:05] CENSORED: it's also for PC
[20:07] ksfrison: ah
[20:08] ksfrison: thanks for the info Smiley
[20:08] CENSORED: np
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »

Yeah, I think most subscription based apps are basically frontends for their web-counterpart to which you already should have subscribed.
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »

* Talked to a guy I know who's been pretty successful with iphone game development (only one title, but it hit the top 10)*

What kind of figures did he pull in, Ive been hearing some big figures from those that are high in page rank.

ShawnF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »

I'm not totally sure... he's reluctant to talk about it, and I haven't pried.  I know it's enough that he wouldn't need his day job anymore if he didn't want it, though.  If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere between $50-100k.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic