Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 10:20:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVatnsmyrkr【submarine exploration】
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Print
Author Topic: Vatnsmyrkr【submarine exploration】  (Read 42736 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »

Why haven't I been following this all along?

(Also, regarding "Song of the Deep", it starts as a pretty blatant Song of the Sea rip-off, only  to have violent submarine combat as the main gameplay element. Narrative dissonance much?)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »

Why haven't I been following this all along?
Well, I'm getting few replies in general, so maybe I'm doing something wrong? Tongue Suggestions are much welcome!

(Also, regarding "Song of the Deep", it starts as a pretty blatant Song of the Sea rip-off
Oh, I've listened through the OST to that, but I don't really know anything about the movie itself. I'll have to watch it some day.

only  to have violent submarine combat as the main gameplay element. Narrative dissonance much?)
Yeah, I don't like that either... I know other games that did similar things, building up an emotional attachment in the intro, only to send the player on a killing spree after that. :/

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:49 AM »

Well, I'm getting few replies in general, so maybe I'm doing something wrong? Suggestions are much welcome!

i lurk all the time, but should probably post more. this has turned into one of my favorite devblogs, the progress recently is absolutely fantastic. im especially loving the modeling and light shader stuff. anyway, keep up the good work Coffee

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2016, 08:11:15 AM »

Oh, I've listened through the OST to that, but I don't really know anything about the movie itself. I'll have to watch it some day.
Oh dear, why have you denied yourself the beauty that is this movie?
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »

This. It's one of the best cartoons I've ever seen...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »

Quote from: jamesprimate link=topic=44264.msg1222624#msg1222624
i lurk all the time, but should probably post more. this has turned into one of my favorite devblogs, the progress recently is absolutely fantastic. im especially loving the modeling and light shader stuff. anyway, keep up the good work Coffee
Oooh, thanksss. ;~;

Well, listening to the OST happened quite recently when YT suggested it to me. I'd never heard about it before that.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »

Ah, it's not exactly a mainstream movie I suppose.

The same people also made The Secret of Kells, maybe you heard of that? Both movies have gorgeous Irish animation, I highly recommend them! Just don't go in expecting too complex a story and it will be fine.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »

Nope, never heard of it. :c

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »

Looks really cool!

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »

Well, well. Seems I made a "positive jinx" by my wording up above. So many people!

Thanks again. c:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2016, 06:04:45 PM »

Step aside, Rain World! Vatnsmyrkr is here with Fish AI™ that will blow your CoD away! Mock Anger

UPDATE 81

Well, not really. Wink Rain World is fantastic and I'm just starting out with this kind of stuff, tho I've dabbled before. But they gave me some neat tips on AI. And I read up a bit elsewhere, just to get a basic idea on how to tackle the issue, because I was about to implement something that can only be summarised like this:

FISH AI™

Well, jellyfish. Have a gander:

Finding their way around the submarine to get to the glowing magnet, which attracts 'em. And when the submarine drives through the group, the poor jellies are flung aside! Mean.

What's this for?

Like I told you at the end of the last update, I was going to be working on something that would take the game even closer to the concept drawing mentioned recently when I realised that the game was starting to look like it. That drawing had blue, bioluminescent jellyfish in it! And here we are.

Since the jellyfish in the GIF don't yet look all too much like those in the drawing, but are just fairly static placeholders, here's a reminder, since the drawing has fallen back at least a page now:

At the time of drawing this, they had little purpose but looking nice and fulfilling the environment, and it was just days ago that I finally connected the dots and found some use for them in a segment that had itself been planned for a very long time. I did in fact connect at least two other old ideas to this segment, finally giving some purpose to it all.

All I'll say for now is that sometimes one will need the aid of the glowing jellyfish in exceptional darkness.

And they'll look beautiful congregating around the submarine, of course.

How does AI work in the engine?

Like I said, I got some tips from RW people, and I read up a bit myself, on general principles on AI. And I sort of ignored a lot of them to some extent, at least for now, but I might need those concepts later.

I started working on a little AI system for the engine. Planned it out a few times on paper before I had a good foundation to work from and then it unsurprisingly changed a bunch anyway as I was implementing it. I realised I could solve certain things by using already existing systems in the engine, and a few things not originally planned were added along the way.

There are four classes for now.

• AI system and AI groups

In practice, a singleton. Each level/scene has one of these accessible. In it AI's may be registered into groups that may want to talk to each other and so on. For this particular use, I've created a group called jellyfish and registered all of the jellyfish objects in there.

• AI

The main class, of course. It's a component that can be added to objects. States can be registered and assigned priorities, tho priorities don't do anything yet, but the idea is that in the case of conflicting possible actions for an AI to take, the one with the highest priority will be chosen. It sends an update event to the parent each frame there is a state to be handled, and allows for custom implementations there — no states actually exist or do anything in the engine by default; that's up to the user to implement.

• AI trigger

This is also a component. It gets put somewhere and an AI can register it. Each frame, the AI will ask the trigger what to do. In this case — for now — the submarine's magnet has a trigger that tells the jellyfish AI to start following the submarine if close enough, tho that's not how it's really supposed to work in the end. Rather, it's supposed to attract them only when glowing.

Worth mentioning is that the jellyfish code is in an AS script, and not in C++! Quite neat.

What's missing?

For now, the jellyfish have only two states: wander and follow. The former currently does nothing, so they just stay still, but they're supposed to be moving around and doing their own thing in this state. The latter is of course the one shown in the GIF.

There will be more states, however. They will sometimes flee. Sure, real jellyfish might not exactly be an animal with such instincts, but it's more that they're getting disrupted by something and start moving elsewhere. The action of speedy animals itself will also fling the poor, lightweight critters away as seen at the end of the GIF.

There's also an element missing to this section: something to cause this fleeing. More on that later, but you can check my Twitter out if you want a hint.

And of course, at some point, proper graphics need to be added to the jellyfish.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:34:33 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Raveaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »

Looks great and I like the concept. It's impressive that you wrote the engine by yourself. C++ scares the shit out of me.

It's hard to distinguish the submarine from the dark background on some screenshots. I would suggest adding some fake rim/fresnel light within the shader to make it stand out more.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2016, 11:49:21 PM »

Looks great and I like the concept. It's impressive that you wrote the engine by yourself.
Thanks!

C++ scares the shit out of me.
If not the language itself, error messages from most C++ compilers and debuggers sure are frightening..!

It's hard to distinguish the submarine from the dark background on some screenshots. I would suggest adding some fake rim/fresnel light within the shader to make it stand out more.
Now, GIF is a horrible format to show this game off with, of course, so it looks even worse than it is. Tongue

And well, the area with the jellyfish is literally supposed to be pitch black, deep down below, since you need the jellyfish to guide you in this segment. I did make the range of the jellyfish glow reasonably wide, tho, but again, it's hard to see in the GIF that they're actually lighting up the submarine.

(I'll edit a static screenshot into this post as soon as I get back to the PC)

There's the submarine's glowing jellyfish motor and the light from the window and so on to show where you are, but nonetheless I have considered things along the lines of what you've suggested here before, and a rim light would indeed look quite nice if I can make it look convincingly caused by the lit parts on the submarine.

It might be necessary anyway since the glow map on the window doesn't interact with the normal maps, anyway, unless perhaps I just put a point light on the window, letting it do its magic... But a faked, hand-made rim light mightn't hurt in addition, since it'd look so very pretty. *-*

So I've been meaning to play around with that eventually! Thanks for your suggestions!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »

Don't make the jellyfish too smart, lest they start plotting to take over the oceans.

@GIF format complaint: yeah, I really wish we could embed mp4 and webm in the forum; I mean we can link youtube these days so there's no technical reason to not allow it.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2016, 01:02:13 AM »

Equal opportunity video format embedding!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »

Here we go — a static screenshot:

Don't make the jellyfish too smart, lest they start plotting to take over the oceans.
Behold! The brain of a jellyfish:

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2016, 02:02:57 AM »

What is this? A code for ants? :I

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2016, 02:05:38 AM »

What is this? A code for ants? :I
It's from the neat side pane of Sublime Text where you get an overview of the entire document in miniature. e:

I hate using bright text on a dark background, tho, so I should really try and figure out how to change the theme...

EDIT:
Figured it out, and all of the default bright themes are awful... Maybe I could download one, if that's possible. Sad

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2016, 02:14:40 AM »

Sublime Text FTW! Smiley

But yes, getting the right colour scheme for it can be a pain in the butt
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2016, 02:29:26 AM »

Sublime Text FTW! Smiley

But yes, getting the right colour scheme for it can be a pain in the butt
I could go back to Coda, which has a great colour scheme. I only really started using Sublime for my scripts recently, because I installed it to try out Haxe not long ago, and Sublime is presented as an option when I right-click the .as files to open with a program, but Coda isn't there, so I started clicking Sublime pretty much for that reason only. But after using that for a while now, I do realise it's quite practical, because it autocompletes any name that has been written in the file before, which is very handy and speeds things up.

Most preferably, I'd just want to edit the files in Xcode, like the C++ code, but Xcode treats the .as ending as some kind of archive and doesn't display it in a text editor. t-t I can probably find a setting to change that, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic