Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:41:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTHE GREAT EMOTICON (a science-fantasy zelda-like)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: THE GREAT EMOTICON (a science-fantasy zelda-like)  (Read 6510 times)
David Stanley
Level 0

I make animations and games for human consumption.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »

Flash is the best. Makes tilesets so easy to work with and edit! Also, just checking it out now and oooooh - Skelattack looks amazing. Love the main character, such a cute style! :D

Woo! Thanks so much!  He spent a long time not looking quite right...I'm glad I kept working with it.  I'm taking my time to try and get things right, as well as pay attention to some details that should really bring the world to life. 

But back to The Great Emoticon, you've really juiced it up and I can't wait to play the demo. I noticed on Twitter that it shouldn't be much longer...  Well, hello there!

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »

even though it looks completely different and is a different kind of game it reminds me of panic on funkotron because theres something wrong with me

I loooove Toejam & Earl, so that's a huge compliment. Thank you!  Grin

Woo! Thanks so much!  He spent a long time not looking quite right...I'm glad I kept working with it.  I'm taking my time to try and get things right, as well as pay attention to some details that should really bring the world to life. 

But back to The Great Emoticon, you've really juiced it up and I can't wait to play the demo. I noticed on Twitter that it shouldn't be much longer...  Well, hello there!

Well, it's looking great so far, and I'm excited to see where it goes! :D

As for GE, we're aiming to do Kickstarter/Greenlight and release the demo somewhere around March, though we'll be doing earlier demo playtesting before that... if you're interested, I could send along a link when the time comes! Could always use more people to playtest with us!

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »

Workin' on a town this week! The town is called Pareidolia, and it's the first main town the player will find. It's where a lot of the Citibots live.

Also, we settled on a much easier way of making levels. Instead of starting right in the engine and then having to tweak/change chunks of the level later, it's a lot less work to come up with the final, perfect level on paper first, and then copy it directly in engine. It seems really obvious now, but... at least things are going a lot smoother now? Iterating on paper is way, way faster than making something rough in engine and then tweaking it to death.

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 04:25:40 AM »

Prototyping on paper does seem easier...I'm gonna need to try this out more on my own stuff!  It all looks good man, great work!  Is the Pareidolia sign being reduced down to basic emoticons??  o:  c:  o:  If so, that's really awesome and makes sense with the definition of the word haha  Corny Laugh

And yes, I would like to be added to the list to play something from this when you have it ready!

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:44 PM »

Prototyping on paper does seem easier...I'm gonna need to try this out more on my own stuff!  It all looks good man, great work!  Is the Pareidolia sign being reduced down to basic emoticons??  o:  c:  o:  If so, that's really awesome and makes sense with the definition of the word haha  Corny Laugh

Yup, the o: c: o: faces are in the sign - the first time we tried making the town, a lot of big areas ended up looking like huge faces. Like, trees and buildings and signs looked like eyes and mouths -

so we just embraced it and named the town after it. Maybe we were just going insane? But it fits with the whole idea of emoticons, so why not! Tongue

David Stanley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »

Yup, the o: c: o: faces are in the sign - the first time we tried making the town, a lot of big areas ended up looking like huge faces. Like, trees and buildings and signs looked like eyes and mouths -

so we just embraced it and named the town after it. Maybe we were just going insane? But it fits with the whole idea of emoticons, so why not! Tongue

It's very clever!  Even cooler that it wasn't really intended but ended up working with the theme of the game Smiley That's a pretty creepy tree face you posted...take it easy man, Halloween's over!

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 09:34:33 AM »

A town level means lots of robot NPCs! We're making lil bot citizens, shop keepers, and a bunch of protesters.

Plus a bunch of walking botsigns -

And here's the Botsmith - a reoccuring NPC who handles your sword upgrades.

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »

Made a couple more robots earlier this week, including a coffee server and some securitybots:

And now I'm moving onto a different enemy species - crystals! The tileset for the crystal levels isn't finished yet, but here's an idea of how it might look:

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »

This week we worked on a little trailer about humans 2.0 (AKA robots)! We wanted to try a narrated style video, and had a ton of fun with it. Would love to hear any opinions about it from fellow devs!  Grin

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 07:54:15 AM »

Great premise, fun world and joyful art! Would love to see more translucent things and emitment of glows, maybe even animated tiles/textures? Very funky and organized, big fan of paper design. A+ thread

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »

Great premise, fun world and joyful art! Would love to see more translucent things and emitment of glows, maybe even animated tiles/textures? Very funky and organized, big fan of paper design. A+ thread

Thanks kraed! And yeah, good eye, the world's a bit flat at the moment. We've been adding more particle effects as the art improves, but also aiming to further juice it up in other ways as we go, specifically with flourishes of animated tiles as you said. Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!  Grin

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »

Workin' away on the demo! Starting to add some polish and effects (yay godrays)!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic