Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:32:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInto Deep
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Into Deep  (Read 2746 times)
AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:43:12 AM »

Latest Update: I've posted a blog update on my progress with the fluid simulation. I'm done with it for now!

http://www.6stringsand16bits.com/2015/02/a-dynamic-2d-terrain-system-in-unity.html

About the game:

Into Deep is a single player and co-op rouge-like cave-flier where players pilot their a little ship around procedural cave environments, mining ore, fighting bad dudes and exploring.

It's super early days, so far the build that's available just allows you to fly around the as-yet-incomplete environments, the map layouts aren't done and there's no enemies yet, but have a look and see if you like where it's going!

Now with Laval!

Coming soon is better cave systems, AI bad dudes to fight, co-op, items to find when exploring and a proper game loop.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:04:39 PM by AdamBradders » Logged

Follow my games non-sense twitter, @BraddersAdam
AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »

We're now on GameJolt, over here;

Edit: I've removed this from GameJolt, I decided to just post builds myself until the games in a better state.

I've also uploaded a gif Smiley

I'll post more info on who we are and what we're doing this week for next weekend's build in the coming days,

Let us know what you think!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:24:34 AM by AdamBradders » Logged

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 03:41:40 AM »

I started a blog recently, and have posted the first in a three part overview of how the destructible terrain system used in the prototype works. What I feel is the most interesting part (the debris and re-forming terrain) is yet to come, but someone might find it interesting in it's current state.

To check it out head over here: http://www.6stringsand16bits.com

Some more info about who (or indeed what) "we" are. I'm Adam Bradley, a pro games developer trying to get back into making my own games. I recently started working with Michael Manning on trying out prototyping some ideas in the downtime we have around working on the platform game Orbit.

You can check out some of Mikes other prototypes on his blog at http://www.crudepixel.com if you're interested in such things.

RocketArena is my attempt to just make and finish a simple hot-seat multiplayer game, with Mike helping out in design and audio. Hopefully with some feedback from the community pushing it in an interesting direction.

Anyhow, I'm planning on having another build ready for the weekend, now with the beginnings of a front end with a ship selection screen, though this may be a little barebones at first.

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »

This weeks build isn't quite ready yet, as I haven't finished the ship selection I planned to get in. I got somewhat distracted putting in the beginnings of a water simulation Tongue

It's a bit 'stodgy' at the moment, still needs a bit of work.

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »

We're toying with the idea of turning this into a single-player + co-op rogue-like, with an emphasis on exploration. Possibly with the name "Into Deep".

I'm reworking the map layout generator, adding in different kinds of materials and also I'm continuing to mess with the fluid stuff, now with Lava.

theotheoderich
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »

Very interesting, reminds me of my old Amiga game "Gravity Force".
I like the idea to modify the map.
The landscape needs to be much more smooth, it is way too blocky compared to the small ship. But I hope this will change during development.

The box label said, "Requires Windows 7 or better.", so I bought an Amiga Computer.
AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »

Thanks!

The main influences for the cave-flier aspect are thrust and roketz, which are similar to gravity force. I'd highly recommend checking out Roketz (its available to download here http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/roketz/ but you'll need dosbox to run it).

I'd like to make the style gel more, we're toying with ideas as to how to blend the ships and terrain to fit together better aesthetically. I'm concentrating on gameplay for now but and definitely keeping this stuff in mind!

LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

Looks pretty cool, and quite similar to an idea I've been toying with! (though, instead of a ship, you would control a guy with lots of gadgets). Your game reminds me of PixelJunk Shooter. Keep the good work!

henrYoda
Level 0

Me no speak like Yoda, do I?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

I'm really digging the art style of this game!

I am henry. I am Yoda!
Btw I made an app. It's dumb but check it out!:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.henrYoda.dodgeitrocket.android
Donutttt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 02:14:46 AM »

Looks cool, I suck at flying in gravitation type games so I'd be interested to how that works as a rogue like.
AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 02:38:35 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm interested to see how it turns out too! At this point I have no idea if it's going to work as a game or not. It feels quite nice to fly about the caves, but it's going to hinge on whether there is enough diversity in the environments/weapons/equipment and whether the combat with the AI is going to feel good. I'm hoping to release a new build shortly for people to try out, at least so people can fly about in the levels and get a feel for what it might be like as a rougey thing.

This past week I put the map-stitching in, so it will procedurally generate caves and stitch them together into an endless labyrinth. There should be no loading screens in the game at all, everything gets built procedurally in the background, so when you're flying about it's building the next environments behind the scenes. This seems to work quite well, there's a few performance hiccups I need to iron out by tweaking the threading setup that does all the procedural stuff, but overall it's working well.

So this next week will be making said tweaks, and taking a look at some basic AI behaviours.

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »

So the performance issues are ironed out - the game struggles a bit on low end machines (I've been testing with an old core 2 laptop and it judders a bit), but I think with some more work it should be fine. The hiccups caused by generating level segments on the fly is gone. Now I'm onto both generating much more interesting cave layouts, and the beginnings of the AI!

Also, the second part of my overview of how the destructible terrain stuff works in this game is up on my blog
http://www.6stringsand16bits.com/

The posts are probably a bit too technical and aren't revelatory at all - it's all stuff that's described else-where on the wide wide world of web. They also don't have enough pretty pictures. But someone might find it interesting! I think when I get onto how the fluid stuff works that it might become more interesting. I'll try and put some pictures in with that to illustrate!

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »

OK so I've posted a new build
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/2wylm6vazej3dqk/IntoDeep_08_12_2014.zip

There's no real gameplay in yet, and the environments are super basic (the layouts need a lot of work), but it's quite cool to just fly about between the caves and get a feel for the ship.

Still working on those layouts, and waiting on Mike to get done with his AI concepts.

Edit: Also, the new name "Into Deep" stuck, so I've renamed the thread as such.

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »

The tile's size is an issue because it has performance implications. So I'm toying with the idea of either making the ship more 'blocky' - perhaps voxelising the ship models - or investigating techniques for hiding the voxel nature of the environment. There's a few techniques to achieve this, but I think I'd have to come up with my own approach to get the kind of look that I think is needed. I'll have a think!

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »

Righto, there's a newer build. Not a huge amount of change;
-Some performance gains on lower end hardware, still a lot of ground to cover here.
-Fixed dodgy texturing issues
-Stability fixes
Edit: Forgot that I've also added an A* pathing step in the cave generation which makes sure there's always a path between entrance and exit. We may in the future force players to drill through bits of level to get to the exit, but for now I want to make sure if I choose to generate an entirely metal cave that players don't get trapped anywhere!

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/bfx0ecdvx59w8n6/IntoDeep_11_12_2014_2.zip

We're talking a lot about doing humidity and heat maps for the levels, which drive placement of decorations, AI and collectible objects. We like the idea of the worlds being very organic in their structure, so plants tend to grow near water, fog tends to form where there is lava and water nearby, perhaps certain AI prefer dry, cold areas of the map, etc. So I'm spending some time putting that stuff together before we get too far into AI design.

AdamBradders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »

Finished the water simulation for now, check it out:

http://www.6stringsand16bits.com

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic