Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:16:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJalopy (Formerly Hac) Now on Steam Greenlight!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Jalopy (Formerly Hac) Now on Steam Greenlight!  (Read 36605 times)
MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »

I'd like to have a bigger playable alpha before I start asking money for it, but thanks so much!

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 06:45:12 AM »

Development Update
#13 Truth Prevails

Small update as I've just finished building the first go at the ČSFR routes. That now leaves Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Turkey to go...

So.
Much.
Work.

Thanks,
Greg

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »

Development Update
#14 Engine Upgrades

Engine Upgrades - If only upgrading your real life car was this simple!

Implementing the first step of the car customisation feature; the engine components.

Under the hood of the car you’ll find your engine block, carburettor, ignition coils, air filter, battery, fuel tank and water tank. Each of these components have their own unique attributes which effect vehicle performance.

All components also have weight, durability and condition properties that effect their own performance. For example, let your fuel tank degrade enough and it will start to leak fuel.

Each component under the hood can be replaced from a catalogue of hundreds of unique components that each effect the car in unique ways, but you’ll have to scavenge ruined parts along your journey (and substantially repair them) or purchase parts between each leg of your journey.

Building the system like this allows players to build thousands of unique engine set-ups, but the customisation doesn’t end there. Expect exhaust, steering, storage and visual customisation in the near future.

From here I think I need to focus a little more on the UI elements. I want to create something where you can easily compare any two components and know which one is more beneficial to you. I'll be drawing a lot of inspiration for the Diablo games here, as they deal heavily in loot organisation and stat reading.

Anyway, any questions / suggestions let me know and I'll get back asap.

Thanks,
Greg

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2015, 08:28:47 AM »

Development Update
#15 How To Change A Tyre

Everyone should try to change a tyre at some point in their life.

You can now change tyres out in the game! Hurray!

Something I've been promising to work on for some time now, I finally found time to get it in this week. So yay for that.

So why change tyres? Well, like all components of the car, tyres have a durability value that degrades with use over time - and at different rates depending on whether they match the terrain.

It's hard to keep on top of maintaining your Laika 601 deluxe, so no doubt at some point you'll need to swap out a flat for the spare. Have no fear though, as it really is as simple as it looks.

Heading off-road, into miserable weather or just fancy splashing some of that glorious capitalism-earned money on some luxury wheels, you'll be happy to know how easy it is to swap over a set of tyres, no matter the location. Just make sure to pack a car jack and a tyre iron and you're good to go.

That's all to show for this week, but next week I should be able to showcase an interesting approach to loot crates.

Thanks,
Greg

sonjool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2015, 02:04:10 AM »

Hey this game sounds real neat. Looking forward to seeing more stuff!

Made some color schemes based on your post a while back.

With this knd of style, I think keeping the skin and clothes separated to make for easy read is a sensible choice. It avoids visual confusion of clothes morphing into skin. Is why I think it feels a little weird.

For the environments it seems like the 5th one is reminscent of like an early foggy morning with the greens being a shade greener. 4th one looks the most naturalistic in terms of lighting.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:16:03 AM by sonjool » Logged

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »

This looks lovely!

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2016, 03:59:37 AM »

Development Update
#16 Improving Presentation of Budget Dialogue

Example of ellipsis slower typewriter effect and 'yell' state.

Improving the dialogue system in Jalopy (Name change, I'll go into it next week when I've done a formal announcement).

So the dialogue system in Jalopy is something that’s been a right pain to get right.

Budget restrictions meant that recording VO for the game was out of the question, which poses some challenges for a game where player attention is focused towards the driving and maintenance of their car. So reading while driving is something that would need to keep focus on the car.

So essentially, this means no dialogue trees, and no direct replies. I’m a big fan of the silent protagonist in games. It’s far more interesting to communicate with a games systems through the manipulation of embedded mechanics - Half - Life 2′s pick up the can proved this a long time ago.

So the foundations of a solution are there for me, thanks Valve. Dialogue in Jalopy will work in that, characters will monologue to the player, while the player’s actions whilst driving will affect their delivery. Drive too fast and you’ll make them nervous, don’t want to listen to them talk any more, then turn on the radio and whack it up to full volume - they’ll soon take the hint.

These kind of ambiguous interactions are hard to pick up on, or understand mechanically, but when you notice your actions having an affect on AI it feels really magical.

With this foundation in place, next comes the presentation.

Without VO, I need to really focus on presentation. Started with text on the screen but without the aid of surround sound it was difficult to detect who was saying what. So then I added in the speech bubble, which points towards each characters mouth to show which actor is currently talking.

I originally didn’t want the player to have any agency with conversations, but this would lead to missing reading some of the dialogues, so I added a typewriter effect that can be sped up whilst holding the L mouse button, and the requirement to accept a read message by pressing the L mouse button. I don’t feel it’s too demanding for when you’re driving, you still maintain full control of the car.

Next I fine tuned the presentation. I made exceptions for when the system finds an ellipsis, bold or italics in the script files, and narrates them accordingly (ellipsis slow down the typewriter effect [fig 1], bold appears bold [fig2], etc). Added transitional effects, Yell state [fig 2] (bubble shake) and audio and called it a day.

I thought I’d share the process for this because it was a right state last week, so much so that I just didn’t want to be involved in the narrative of the game. Now I’ve improved the presentation and polished it up a bit, it’s something that I enjoy being involved with.

So yeah, hope that was insightful.

Greg

deab
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2016, 04:18:16 AM »

I like the appearance, but in that last gif I find the text moving (to stay centred as new words appear) makes it hard to read, all the shifting about.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2016, 06:56:19 AM »

Does the dialogue bubble "infer" its state based on the sentence you give as input?

As in, when it ends with an ellipsis or exclamation mark it changes state automatically?
MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »

I like the appearance, but in that last gif I find the text moving (to stay centred as new words appear) makes it hard to read, all the shifting about.

Thanks, It did indeed look rotten with the central alignment, I've moved it to be left aligned now and restricted text growth.

Does the dialogue bubble "infer" its state based on the sentence you give as input?

As in, when it ends with an ellipsis or exclamation mark it changes state automatically?

The dialogue bubble basically checks for fullstops, takes a note to do another check at the next letter and, if it finds another fullstop, then it reduces it's print speed by about 8x. It's set up so it can read the way I've written the text and act accordingly. Makes my life a little easier.

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

Development Update
Steam Greenlight!

Woo hoo.

Jalopy hits Greenlight!

Jalopy is now on Steam Greenlight, give us a vote if you'd like to see the game on Steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=614350862

Thanks,
Greg

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »

Voted - good luck on Greenlight I look forward to driving through your world Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2016, 01:56:59 AM »

The dialogue bubble basically checks for fullstops, takes a note to do another check at the next letter and, if it finds another fullstop, then it reduces it's print speed by about 8x. It's set up so it can read the way I've written the text and act accordingly. Makes my life a little easier.
Nice!

Will give you a Greenlight vote
MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 07:08:04 AM »

Hey everyone, just a quick update on greenlight.

First of all, thank you so much for the votes. We're currently sat at #12 on Greenlight after 4 days. The response has been really overwhelming and we've had some great feedback on the game. I'd have never thought a game about pottering about in an old car with your uncle would have such a positive response. Really, thank you so much for the votes.

Talking of the Uncle, I've finished up the dialogue filled tutorial this week, so hopefully I have a new video to show some showing how the interactions with him will work. I'd been quiet about him recently as I was worried the response wouldn't be strong enough to justify the extra time and work of having an AI companion throughout the game, and also struggling to find a good solution to dialogue without VO that doesn't hinder the driving experience, but doesn't pass the player by completely.

I've got the start of something new now, that I've previously shared, that should be worth the effort and work well. It's not complete though, and can always be improved, so any feedback is, as always, much appreciated. I really do value the feedback I get here, and it's helped immensely in making the game a better experience.

Anyway, thanks again for the support, it really means a lot.
Greg

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »

That's great, bt I think there is much more experience driven players this generation, those who embrace the mimicry part of game as if it was toybox in wxhich you make your story, generally playing with your friend the dev.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »

Congrats on the release. It seems that you're doing well for an Early-access start.
I remebered this was an interesting devlog.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/446020/
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2016, 12:19:38 AM »

Purchased. Looking forward to going on a roadtrip as soon as this Kickstarter is over!

You should do a spotify playlist for us all to listen to as we drive through the beautiful landscape (saves on having to pay for licenses!)

Good luck!

MinskWorks
Level 0

Greg Pryjmachuk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »

Hey, thanks for the purchase!

I've not had time to post here as there's been a lot of bug fixes to get through in these first two weeks, but as soon as I'm back to adding significant content I'll be posting my processes and answering questions here again!

Thanks again!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic