Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:37:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshoptop-down 2d environments plx help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: top-down 2d environments plx help  (Read 1245 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:25:40 AM »

/accidentally posted in a wrong category

I am completely lost, I have never done any environment art and I have no idea how to even approach this

I want to make enviro assets for top-down 2d alien planet

after a few hours of messing around I've ended up here, and I feel like it's a dead end

thoughts? advice?  ideas?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »

That's looking pretty good so far. The colors are pretty good, and the fauna looks alien enough. I think you might want to try changing the palette of certain things (so, for example, the wood of the trunk is more of an odd color, the ground is less of a normal color, etc).

I think you should continue just making stuff to give yourself an idea of what to do and how to approach the environment. If it starts looking too much like Earth, you can push more alien stuff in it. If it looks too alien, you can add some Earth-like features.

You could also look at another game that's already done a top-down alien type environment, like Notrium (which looks really Earth-like, by the way).

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:08:25 AM »

Okay, I had a look at other games in this type (and true, Notrium looks really Earth-like) and this is so far my progress, I think I'm going in the correct direction (?)

CreativeEd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:50:39 AM »

Well, if there's a problem, I think it's in the palettes. Some assets don't seem to merge very well with each other, mainly the characters.

There's also a problem with the plant on the first screenshot, it seems to be a little side viewed, it's a little odd.
As for the characters, try to add them feet, and shadows below them to make them look less "floaty".

This is a common issue with top-down HD graphics though, as you have no perspective to put them in, they allways end up looking a little off.

I could tell you about some alternatives to achieve a better look, but it may get you off the road you're trying to pursue...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic