Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1372123 Posts in 64705 Topics- by 56839 Members - Latest Member: Whales

January 27, 2020, 08:47:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDesolus: A Surreal First Person Puzzle Game
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Print
Author Topic: Desolus: A Surreal First Person Puzzle Game  (Read 61602 times)
Mark Mayers
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: December 22, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »

It looks like this project has been around for a while, but I'm just finding it now. It looks fantastic! Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this one.

Toast Right

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
clickbecause
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 24, 2020, 02:46:20 PM »

Hi Mark,

Amazing work! I stumbled on this devlog while doing research on GPU based "portal" implementations. I'm working on a project that revolves around some similar ideas (periods of time instead of alternate universes). Would you be willing to talk a bit about how your universes are organized? For example, are both universes located in the same physical space and only rendered differently? Or are they actually discrete terrains that are offset in world space? Are they both present in the same Unity scene file?

I've been throwing tons of ideas at the wall and found a few promising solutions, but you are soooo much further ahead of me and I would love to learn from your experience implementing this idea. Thanks!
Mark Mayers
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: January 26, 2020, 03:06:22 PM »

Hi Mark,

Amazing work! I stumbled on this devlog while doing research on GPU based "portal" implementations. I'm working on a project that revolves around some similar ideas (periods of time instead of alternate universes). Would you be willing to talk a bit about how your universes are organized? For example, are both universes located in the same physical space and only rendered differently? Or are they actually discrete terrains that are offset in world space? Are they both present in the same Unity scene file?

I've been throwing tons of ideas at the wall and found a few promising solutions, but you are soooo much further ahead of me and I would love to learn from your experience implementing this idea. Thanks!

Hey! Thanks for reaching out.

I've talked a bit about how the rendering works in Desolus in previous posts, such as this one from last March.

The very first prototype of the alternate universe mechanic which is the basis of the game was back in May 2016.
This was a simple stencil buffer mask done with shaders.

However, recently I've been moving over to Unity's Scriptable Render Pipeline and completely building one from scratch.
The new pipeline is almost finished (I'll post about it over the next week or two), but it changes the rendering system a bit.
I talked a bit about my motivations to switch to SRP in the last DevLog entry.

Over the years though the portal rendering in Desolus has become pretty sophisticated, as the technology needs of the game improved.

I'm not sure exactly how deep down the rabbit hole you would like to go.
However, I would probably start out with researching shader tutorials on the stencil buffer.

Mark Mayers
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: January 26, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »

Update 150: 01/26/2020

SCRIPTABLE RENDER PIPELINE, PART II

(PART I)

Over the last month I've made a huge amount of progress in creating my own Scriptable Render Pipeline for Desolus.

At the beginning of January, I completed my lighting model and added shadows to Desolus.
Since then I have been porting all of my shaders over to HLSL, and have been building the rest of my SRP.  

---

FINISHING OFF THE LIGHTING

Earlier this month I finished off my BRDF lighting model for Desolus.
The lighting model is superior to Unity's standard shader, as I'm using my own custom BRDF which I discussed in the previous post.

You can see the gradient of metallic and specular values of materials in the above image.
Compared to last update, I fixed a few mathematical errors in my code which led to incorrect lighting.

Although the function is tweaked with a art-directed values (like the small amount of Fresnel) it's still primarily physically based.
This physically based rendering workflow allows me to create a diverse set of materials, simply by tweaking the metallic and specular properties.

---

CREATING SHADOWS

Implementing shadows was a large amount of work (about 3 days of programming).
However, I was able to implement a version based on Catlike Coding's SRP series.

Again, I would highly recommend Catlike's SRP documentation series, and Unity's own SRP documentation is practically non-existent.

These shadows are high-quality cascaded shadows, with tweakable resolution and shadow filtering.
Because they are still using some of Unity's API, they integrate into the existing shadow functions which can be set per directional light.

---

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic