Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopRequesting Title Screen Help - Pixel Art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Requesting Title Screen Help - Pixel Art  (Read 2751 times)
EpicVesselGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:32:13 PM »

I'm no artist and I'm not sure that I am doing this right. I'm putting together some open source stuff and making some modifications to fit my game's art style. I found a nice looking font to go with a terrific background that fits my game, but the title screen is very important to any game and I would like to do it right.

The game is called Zombie Safe Zone (the developer log thread can be found here) I started with a simple edit. I put the title in my font on the background. The font has a blood effect, and I am coloring those parts in red.

This seems to be the right direction, but from here I am somewhat lost. I feel like it needs to be more robust, have more polish, or look more "finished". I started adding a darker red and giving a black outline to the letters.

The outline doesn't seem right. I like the darker red where the blood would be "thicker" as it slides off the letters. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance for reading.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:55:20 PM by EpicVesselGames » Logged

Alicecomma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »

As creator of the background image I would like to note you the image is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

Otherwise, using some colours close to the background palette for the font might work.
EpicVesselGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Alicecomma. With the red colors it just seems to get lost! I'm pretty much back to square one. The idea of a city-scape background with a prominent name seems to be what I am going for, but it isn't coming together very well.

I apologize if I offended your or was too liberal with the term open source. This is just a WIP thread to get my general idea of a logo down.

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »

It seems you need more contrast between the font and the background from middle upwards. Easy way is outline it in a dark colour picked from the image so it pops or darken the orange a lot more. More than 1 px, I used 3.

Cool background by Alicecomma

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:31:08 PM by Devr0s » Logged

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:31:46 AM »

I think also having a gradient on the letters would really do the trick. Either do it Light (top) to dark (bottom) or also inverting that would look really cool I think too, and make it stand out from the gradient of the background! Continuing the red blood on each word would also improve (not sure if you were planning to do that o not).
EpicVesselGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

I took another shot at it. This uses a background with less color and easier contrasting colors for me to work with.

@Devr0s and @beestings:
I took your advice, but I applied it to a new font choice. This one came with a better outline and colors with a texture as well.

The bottom 60 pixels or so will be used up by platform logos (android/ios/win/etc). This is still a work in progress and I think it is still missing something. Not sure what though.

Feedback and ideas are more than welcome.

EpicVesselGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »

I did a small edit to increase the contrast between the title and the background.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »

[CHEESE INTENSIFIES]

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic