Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:26:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Items
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Items  (Read 139585 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 09:04:35 PM »

I thought items were going to come from games that didn't have a character already?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 11:12:15 PM »

What about making Curly an item? She is strapped to your back and fires in the opposite direction with her nemesis.
godsavant
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 04:14:53 AM »

What about making Curly an item? She is strapped to your back and fires in the opposite direction with her nemesis.

Goddamnit, I just thought of that!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 11:24:25 AM »

I thought items were going to come from games that didn't have a character already?
I don't think we need to restrict ourselves like that. It doesn't really serve any purpose to avoid good ideas for items just because they come from a game we already have a character from.

And I like Chutup's Miasma idea. It wouldn't be hard to draw up, either, just a big purple tilde.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »

This is a great suggestion. It might even work better than Curly as a playable character.

I don't play DF, so I'm not really sure what the miasma does. Otherwise, it sounds like a suggestion that could work.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »

Basically, like a smoke cloud. You wouldn't be able to see well in it, and maybe your damage would be reduced.

"Miasma" in Dwarf Fortress is just a cloud of purple gas from whenever something rots. Refuse management in DF isn't all that great yet, so it tends to show up often.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »

Gotcha.  Smiley

To separate it from the electro-mine, it could be picked up and thrown again.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »

I dunno I kinda wanted her to be a character.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »

Trilby should have a laser sensor item as a thrown item. When thrown, it either moves up and down a wall or along the ground. When it detects someine, a rent-a-cop steps out of an invisible door in the background and alternates between firing a gun and cowering.
shig
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »

I think that would work better as an stage hazard than an item.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »

The carp is the thing that immediately comes to mind when I think of Dwarf Fortress (besides temper tantrums and fiery explosions).

Don't forget the thermonuclear catsplosion. :p

As for suggestions...

Support-

: Doesn't actually do anything useful, apart from distorting the stage and music, freaking everyone out immensely for a short time.
godsavant
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »

: Doesn't actually do anything useful, apart from distorting the stage and music, freaking everyone out immensely for a short time.

Why does this 'Uboa' look like the Scream mask as interpreted by a three-year-old.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »

Exploding cats are very Dwarven. I almost forgot about those. They could act kind of like bob-ombs.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

Are you sure? Cats only explode in that mod where they increased the cats' body temperature. I think a much better cat item would be the one we discussed in the Dwarf thread - you throw the cat at the enemy, and they get cats clinging all over them, which slows them down and can gradually be shaken off by attacking. This would be more true to vanilla DF.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:59 PM »

You know, we really don't need a DF-related item. We already have a DF character.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »

Actually, the true danger from cats in Dwarf Fortress isn't explosions. Cats don't explode, silly!

But..... if you ever. EVER. have a male and a female cat in your fortress, at any time, you will have another 10 within a month.

The "catsplosion" refers not to literal explosions, but population explosions which will quite nearly drag your framerate into the negatives.

A "cat" item, the way I see it, would cling onto any player it hits, and then start multiplying, slowing you down as it continues producing.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »

OK, items from top games in TigDB that don't have a character:

Ball of Goo (World of Goo) - When thrown, sticks to the floor. Any player that steps on it is stuck for a few moments.

Wine Glass b/w Manitoba Beast Bug (Gravity Bone) - Subject burps green smoke constantly and slowly loses some health for a while.

Gun (Karoshi) - Ammo 6. Deals moderate damage and some knockback.

Rope (Rescue: The Beagles) - Climb up to a ledge at any height above.

Mimic Potion (DROD) - A ghostly mimic appears beside you, mimicking all your movements.

Pterodactyl (Dino Run) - Carries you to another point of the level.

And some more:

Armadillo (Armadillo Run) - Rolls in a physicsy way until it falls off screen.

Axe (Banana Nababa, You Have To Burn The Rope) - Thrown in an arc, does a lot of damage.

Basketball (Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden) - Bounces with different strength depending on how it's thrown.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »

Mimic Potion is a good idea. The only thing about DROD that I could remember was that huge sword.

Most of the others have been mentioned earlier in the thread. I did the same thing you did yesterday  :D

I still think there ought to be something that symbolizes the shmup genre. Maybe a buddy ship, which goes to the right or left of the screen and starts firing lasers at random?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »

Shmups are hard to fit in. A Tumiki Fighter support character and Clean Asia stage have already been suggested.

We should also probably include something that references a lot of shmups at once. Either:

Deep Space (stage)- A simple stage with a few platforms. Every so often, a ship from a popular shmup flies by, using some attack unique to its game.

-or-

Shmup Storm (support character)- A swarm of dozens of ships flies across the screen, Unown-style.

I also had a bizarre idea for a support character today-
Anthony (Bytejacker)- attacks with Free Indie Rapid Fire.

It's probably a little too weird to actually include.

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »

I'd like to step out of the shadows and make a few suggestions ! Noir

-Toriningen (Yume Nikki): Runs in one direction until she falls off of the stage. Hits several times for light damage if you're run over by her.

-Star (Hoshi Saga): Activates when picked up. Turns the user almost totally invisible (maybe a shimmer or some sort of refraction could denote where you really are), and also removes that player's marker (IE P1, P2..) from enemy view. This would only really be feasible in online play, if that's incorporated. Lasts 8-10 seconds?

-Strange Musical Note (Eversion): It's the only graphic I could think of. Activates when picked up. Stage music/color dulls, more unsettling music plays quietly. All buff/health items are reduced in effectiveness. All damage dealt by players is increased slightly. Lasts Huh? seconds. Could be stacked?

-Sumo Wrestler (Sumotori Dreams): Slowly walks around the stage for a while. Falls over if hit. If he falls on top of a player, they receive heavy damage with no knockback. Dissapears either after falling twice or being ignored for a certain amount of time.

-Cancer (Mondo Medicals): Small , nondescript rectangular monitor buzzing with static. Thrown item. Reverses the controls/significantly lowers the speed of the recipient.

That's all I've got at the moment.
I like Pigbuster's Uboa idea, too, I'd love to see him implemented.
And both Shmup ideas sound great, Shade. If the stage were to be put it, not all of the ships could attack in the course of one match, I don't think -- maybe a good portion of them could be flying through the background?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:25:41 PM by Karuvitomsk » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic