Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 01:09:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDestinyQuest Infinite - D&D meets Choose Your Own Adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DestinyQuest Infinite - D&D meets Choose Your Own Adventure  (Read 1272 times)
interrupting cow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »

They say the last 10% is the hardest...

DestinyQuest Infinite is a digital gamebook, based off of Michael Ward's DestinyQuest series. If you're familiar with Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Sorcery!, or the Gamebook Adventures series, this won't need much of an introduction. Otherwise, imagine a book...

Where you make choices...

And you fight monsters with your wits and dice...

DQI is unique in particular because of its length (it's a 600+ page book we've got here)...

And its equipment and special abilities (you can mod the dice rolls like crazy)...

A little problem though. We don't know how to market it.

The pre-mortem.

DQI is released! It just went on sale. But we've been selling an abysmal number of copies. So, what do we do?

Life is like a roguelike. All men must die, and all companies must fail, eventually, but I'd rather not die on Level 2 of this dungeon.

In this DevLog, we're going to learn marketing and we're not going to stop until we have answers. We'll go through every possible reason DQI could fail, one by one. Either we'll find out they're bad reasons, or we'll find out they're good reasons and fix them.

Our theories.
The victim lies on the ground. Cause of death is uncertain.
I have a few theories about why we might not be selling:

• Our product isn't a good enough gamebook.
  • Not enough people want gamebooks, period.
  • Not enough people who want gamebooks know we exist.
  • There aren't enough people who want it on desktop.

We'll go through them one by one. Our plan is to approach this like mathematicians. Take each possible explanation, and either prove it's right, or eliminate it. No hiding behind "bad luck," or "convenient explanations for failure where I inexplicably don't fix what I just claimed was the problem." Just going through each reason systematically, like a machine.

Reason 1: Our product isn't a good enough gamebook.
Based on the feedback we've gotten from our testers, it seems unlikely that our book just isn't polished enough. It's certainly possible, but the people who do read DQI are reading hundreds of pages. You probably wouldn't do that if you didn't like the UI. We might need to revisit that theory later, Watson, but we'll leave that off for now.

Reason 2: Not enough people want gamebooks, period
I'm not one for reading lots of dialog when I game...I can't say I'm really excited by your idea as it is.

Explain this.

I'll be totally honest...most of the time, personally, I'd rather play Deus Ex or Civ rather than read a book. But I have to be careful not to read my opinions onto every single human in the universe. GA shows that there's at least some market for gamebooks, so it would be lying to myself to claim that lack of interest in them was what caused our sales to be low. No, I'll have to find a better excuse than that.

Stay tuned as we eliminate other theories on DQI Mysteries...
Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:00:38 PM by interrupting cow » Logged

|| Strayed ||
An interactive story about a lonely drive in the woods, and one small mistake.
interrupting cow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »

I was gonna finish this devlog entry, but every Buy Now button on our site broke. brb.

OK, back. Our buttons work again.

The investigation continues...

Having eliminated two causes of death, the investigators begin to check off the rest, simultaneously communicating how cool murder investigation is with the debonair attitude of professionals who've done more interesting things before breakfast.

Reason 3. Not enough people who want gamebooks know we exist.
Watson looked askance at his charge. "I know better than to assume you haven't thought this through," he said, at once casual and deliberate. "But are we going about these theories in just the right order?"

"Whatever do you mean, Watson?" Holmes replied.

"Well, don't we know the fourth theory is true? We looked at the usage numbers for Appointment with F.E.A.R. on Steam, and they seemed to prove our desktop hypothesis correct."

"Seemed to, of course, being the operative phrase," Holmes said, picking at his fingernails with a ballpoint pen. "I hope you didn't assume that that little extrapolation we did was the final word on the matter."

"Well, extrapolations are always somewhat prone to differences in genre and something similar to sampling bias," Watson said with a thoughtful air. "But it seemed pretty clear that, within broad parameters, the estimation was correct."

Holmes looked knowingly at Watson. "From what I can tell, there is nonetheless still at least an order of magnitude difference in the sales figures of our victim and those of the games we've looked at. And besides which, there is a more important rule to follow."

He continued without waiting for a response. "Always investigate the avenue that requires the least coding first."

This is quite possible. Google Analytics says destinyquestinfinite.com has a few hundred visitors a month. Granted, somewhere around 50% of them are going to our Buy Now page, which is amazing, but even if every single visitor to our site bought the book, we would hardly have a satisfactory amount of sales.

So to prove this isn't the reason we're selling so few copies, we're going to have to get a larger, five-digit number, looking at our homepage. If the numbers don't improve after that, then maybe we'll be able to cross this suspect off our list.

How will we do that? Stay tuned for more DQI Mysteries...
Gentleman

The investigation continues... (part 2)

Perhaps the nicest thing about launching first on our website, instead of an app store, is that you can see exactly who visited your website, and when they left. Did we lose customers because they can't pay in USD? Because the price was too expensive? Because they don't like the color brown?

Google Analytics tracks all this. If you have a homepage that you plan to use for anything more than giving press something to read, I'd highly recommend installing it or something like it. We used that data to start narrowing down our suspects.

In our last episode, we determined that if we got 10-100x more visitors on our website, that would get us enough visitors to get a decent number of purchases (or prove that visitors are not our problem). However, through Analytics, we realized that, before we try fishing in a bigger pond, we should fix our net.

Fixing our net
When we did our analysis of Google Analytics data, we discovered something interesting. About 90% of our UK visitors were leaving right on the buy now page. Did they leave when they saw the price was in dollars?

We saw a similar pattern at the checkout page - people would leave just before checking out. Were they confused by the address forms, since they weren't in the same form in their country as they are in the US? Were they worried about foreign currency fees?

We decided to add some extra words to support our overseas users, before continuing on the goal of getting 50k visitors. Our new lists of suspects to eliminate:

• Customers don't understand or are overwhelmed by the purchasing process.
  • Many customers are from countries where they can't purchase our product.
  • People don't have enough money since it's the holidays.
  • The price is too high for what people want to pay.
  • People are waiting for reviews before they buy.
  • People are waiting for the official launch, for the bugs to be fixed and Acts 1-3 to be ready.

"But Holmes," Watson said, "doesn't this contradict our previous statement, that we should always choose the option that requires less coding?"

"That would certainly be true," Holmes said, puffing on his pipe, "if the options did not interact with each other. And in the case of mobile purchasing vs. more advertising, that is somewhat true. But here, if we bring more people to the website, only to find that they can't purchase the book in their currency, we would be driving fish to a net with holes in it."

Watson was about to protest that bringing people to a site with no mobile option would be driving fish to a net with holes in it just as certainly as bringing people to a website that didn't accept a proper currency. Knowing Holmes would be unlikely to listen, he held his tongue, considering the possibility of subtly doing some additional marketing on his own.

The investigation continues... (part 3)
(October 8, 2015)

Finally, the full game is out! We got a lot of great write-ups, some good reviews, and a mention on GeekDad. No more sales than before though.

The question still remains: where are the customers? Back to our list of theories.

• Customers don't understand or are overwhelmed by the purchasing process.
  • Many customers are from countries where they can't purchase our product.
  • There aren't enough people who want it on desktop, and off Steam.
  • People don't have enough money since it's the holidays.
  • The price is too high for what people want to pay.
  • People are waiting for reviews before they buy.
  • People are waiting for the official launch, for the bugs to be fixed and Acts 1-3 to be ready.
  • People want to play offline.

(We also ruled out purchasing process, since those people would at least be on the website to begin with, so we would see a lot of cart failures on Google Analytics.)

So, what now? Onto Steam and Android, I suppose?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:56:25 PM by interrupting cow » Logged

|| Strayed ||
Savick
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

I'm not one for reading lots of dialog when I game. I think, for your graphics, you could use some better font choices. Right now they look pretty boring.

I can't say I'm really excited by your idea as it is. Before selling something like a game you should also at least build a little hype, with like a trailer or gifs, something to get people wanting your game.

If you just made this and are selling it now, I think very few people are going to buy it. I hope you continue to work hard on your idea.
interrupting cow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

I'm not one for reading lots of dialog when I game.

I have some very bad news for you.

Before selling something like a game you should also at least build a little hype, with like a trailer or gifs, something to get people wanting your game.

Yeah, sorry, I just added the trailer link now. Was busy panicking about site broken stuff. We've done a lot of PR legwork but I didn't explain it here.

|| Strayed ||
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »

As I understand it you play online even in singleplayer? I do not buy/rent such games. So that is one reason, even if I am in a small minority perhaps.
interrupting cow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »

Hey pelle, actually I'm in your club as well - if it were me I'd probably wait to buy it Coffee. It does require online right now, but offline mode is coming up soon on my development timeline.

I suppose I could add it to my list of theories for why we aren't getting more buyers, but I agree that we're probably in the minority here.

|| Strayed ||
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »

Hey! Fellow gamebook developer here as well!

Thanks so much for sharing your retro so far. I realize how hard it is to share something that isn't doing as well as you dreamed.

But keep at it - especially the mobile versions. Based on my marketing research - that's the best chance of survival. It is certainly where I play my interactive fiction!

interrupting cow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »

Hey, good to hear from you! I think I've tested your gamebook, too. Smiley

|| Strayed ||
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic