Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:05:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHorror in an RTS?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Horror in an RTS?  (Read 8971 times)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 02:50:58 AM »

This WILL, of course, leave transitional (e.g. into/out of Domain) movement a bit confusing (currently the engine simply crashes, I'm working on that) but I'm sure I'll come up with something.
You could possibly solve it by making it so the further away from your domain, the longer it takes for messages to be received by (and reported in by) the squad? A gradient instead of a sharp line... maybe?

I AM FREE!
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 02:56:06 AM »

That's more difficult than it sounds, unless you want the units going in slow motion and getting slower with distance. Which while an interesting idea for SOME RTS, somewhere out there, waiting to be made, does not fit mine.

I've got an idea. While leaving/entering Domain there's a three second "silence" while they turn on/off the equipment?

EDIT: Oh, crazy idea. Qlippoth (AI-controlled hostile units) could have some units that can really screw with time. I'm thinking "magical artillery", aging buildings and etc, mixed with "buffing", with wide-scle time vortexes and other crazy stuff. Which I can actually do just by altering movement values.

Or maybe instead of units that cause this, maybe breaches will do stuff like that. I already want them to have anomalous weather patterns, including weather that just ain't RIGHT -- one example was a "storm" of bullets: falling straight up. Maybe breaches could have the time-warping as another sort of "storm".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:02:57 AM by Qelippot » Logged
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

It seems as though the only way to have a viable attack with that is to just horde up as many units as you can. [Or build your domain up to your opponents base] Since your opponent will always have advantage of being able to defend from their domain. You won't be able to really do anything to actually conduct a reasonable attack because of the 3 second lag, while your opponent will decimate you due to not having any lag. Basically the whole thing becomes more of a turtling game. Maybe instead you could have areas with high atrocity become laggier universally for both parties. (Which makes a strategy of luring enemies into the atrocity and then attacking from outside of it. Maybe even creating your own atrocity in order to do this, at the cost of the penalty of having atrocity.)
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »

I like your idea better.
Fuzz
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

I was going to do that (the static) anyway. Plus, anything outside of your own Domain (e.g. with fog of war) will require radio to stay in contact... It won't be too awfully hard to keep track of where you lose normal contact and switch to radio.

This WILL, of course, leave transitional (e.g. into/out of Domain) movement a bit confusing (currently the engine simply crashes, I'm working on that) but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Lastly, I've been thinking about this radio thing and for all of you who clamoured for squads... Looks like we'll have them. Sort of.

My new idea is this: while in Domain, each unit can be controlled individually. Before a group can leave Domain, one unit has to be equipped with radio stuff and several units "assigned" to it. While in the field, you can directly control the "commander" unit, and relay general commands to the rest of the group.

Electronic countermeasures are finally important, and the "magical scouts" I have designed for each faction will be far more useful. Especially think of a scenario where you don't have the aformentioned "seers" (due to an attack, maybe) and suddenly one of your field units loses all contact. You have no idea what's going on, it could be a minor radio malfunction, simple communications jamming, or your soldiers could be reduced to smears on the ground.

Thoughts on this one?
I like the idea of having personalized commanders in the Domain, which makes it more scary, but then having a squad in the field for practical reasons. Otherwise it would end up being more like an RPG. The radio idea could also really heighten suspense and make it so you're never quite sure what the enemy's doing until it's too late.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic