Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:29:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGame Music Tutorials
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Game Music Tutorials  (Read 134359 times)
charles.lott
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »

I really wish I'd known about this site when I started creating my game - trying to piece together even a simplistic BGM was a royal PITA, but might not have been so difficult if I'd had some of the information in here.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2009, 07:15:52 AM »

there is an assumption here that music is "created" and or "programmed" instead of just played and recorded as is.

Hi there, I am not sure who exactly you are saying makes this assumption. Are you referring to people whose main profession is not musicianship? I.e. it is true that some game developers do not fully appreciate the process of composition and arranging an accurate and well thought out piece of music, that ties into their game, it's image, it's events, quite brilliantly, or terribly. But this is not a stamp that i'd give all, if even many game devs. They're mostly quite a cheerful bunch Smiley Never worked with somebody I don't still talk to now.

Many musicians have their own process of writing, but there can be good thought in a lot of it, and as long as there is conviction within the process, something good can come out of it.

I think sequencing and programming aspects of music writing are being more integrated into my writing, I don't sequence melodies or chords, but I will seek some help from the software I use after writing the tunes basic form, to write the drums, and there is nothing wrong with that. I am a drummer myself anyway, so I have already played out the form grooves and change fills before sitting down to sequence it in via MIDI. I think good music has a very organic growth to it, from it's raw beginnings behind an acoustic piano or guitar or whatever, until it's final export, wheather orchestrated in a full string section, or accompanied by a brass funk band, or assembled with rock guitars, synths bass and drums.

However, heavily sequenced chromatic lines of blistering speeds just shows something that is purely a machine capability, and that's fine, but it's not the definition of music composition, or good music composition, in my honest opinion. So yes, in that aspect I can agree with you on that.

PLAYING and WRITING music has been around for MILLENNIUMS. i mean, people go to college for it. and making music, as opposed to playing and writing, is something that people still hardly go to college for at all.

Everybody has a different way of doing things. You don't need to go to college to learn any of the compositional and arranging skills that some of the greats have today. You CAN, and sure it'll all be arranged and collated and taught to you in a much more straight forward manner with support and assistance from those who have studied it enough to become lecturers in that module. But again, if you are committed and determined you can learn it all from home. Just find the right books.

here's a good one actually: http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/048007/details.html Brilliant for analysing the techniques used in proper orchestration. Especially film music.

Also playing and writing as opposed to making music? I don't understand that. If you write music, you're making music. You've written something, writing it into it's basica essence is making it into the form of a musical piece. The differing line between these two meanings is rather vague to me, could you re-explain it in some other way?

you DONT have to make music with software. please, someone who doesnt know how to make music for their game, just go pick up a guitar and find a chord book. furthermore, maybe sing some thing. and the producing part of that, once you have compositional and harmonic material, goes much much further. if you just record two tracks with different effects it can sound great.

Without getting into the time and effrot debate that many developers will use to learn how to develop better games, you must realise that you would need some degree of software in order to record and develop a good convincing mix of music. Even if that means bringing it back to an egg shaker and an acoustic guitar. Rejection of technological history to a high degree is just going to leave us with .. well not that much, technology-wise. Which isn't really gonna help you convince a game developer that your great compositions belong in their game. From a work musicians perspective. It is different when you are writing music for yourself, your expression 100% your product of creativity. But if you're working in a team, and they need to express a certain emotion, or inscribe a certain signature of sound to the game that makes you go "hey, that's like the music from (game you just made music for), just not as good!" or whatever, it's not a rock solid quote but you get my meaning, it's nice to put a sound to something that people can taste the difference in.

This might seem like too small a thing to make this big a deal of, but the thing about melody and harmony is that its really really hard to figure out how to articulate it and write cohesively if youve never ever played an instrument before. instruments are incredibly amazing! do not undervalue them! your sound card probably has a latency of at least 30 ms, and thats something you can hear. that means that there isnt a direct connection from when you make something and when you hear it, its such a distant thing.
all that said, if you want to learn about form and composition, which is really the heart of music, there is a way to do it. there are ways to create music without really writing anything yourself. you can sample simple melodies, use stock beats, and you can also edit it all in a modular way and use lots of effects. its a great exercise in perspective. and, i think tools can be very usefull to exxplore... all you have to do is make sure you arent creating anything other than music.

You keep going between playing and writing, and then creating music, I'm trying to understand you take on these two things. I think they're the same in most aspect if I am honest. Maybe not when you're cutting samples and beats and putting them together without any theoretical knowledge, but even then, you must be able to realise when a certain sample will not work with the rhythm, or key signature, or another sample, and that there, is important in making it right, and if you can do that, you are creating music. You're re-writing in such a way, that, you don't play the note, but you create a new sound, a new song. But these things come in all the programs that you wish to avoid, samples, beats, everything, in sample form to a point you can just hold down a button and a beat will play.

If anything, ALL of these aspects of music making should be used in a fine mix of the creators own preference. And that's what keeps music fresh, preference and opinion and personal taste of each person who makes some. I think this thread is good for sourcing out multiple ways of making music, you don't have to take one way and follow it by the letter, but infuse all different ways, pick out styles of writing you likes, disregard the ones you don't, find stuff other people may not have found yet, merge things, make hybrids of the original two sounds into a brand new one sound. These are things you have also touched on, but rejecting any technology that helps you out is just an opinionated piece of advice, and although it's not wrong, it can't be seen as a serious option in a world were technology has begun to ease up all the frustrations of previously not being able to have a guitar in your mix because you can play the guitar, or have a drum kit thats not that great because you cannot play the drums well, or whatever.

All these tools should be used and appreciated for their abilities, and the new advantages they pass on to anybdoy using them! I'm not a technology freak, I still compose behind my piano and my drum kit, sitting with a block of manuscript writing out my melodies and chords and changes and forms. But when it comes to writing for a computer game, I use the tools i've got that make me create sounds that otherwise could not be done with an acoustic guitar or an egg shaker or whatever. The production value you can achieve out of programs like cubase studio 5, is out of this world. And I'd never pass up a chance to record with the technology that is available to us all today.

i hope this helps someone, possibly struggling with what it actually means to create music.

there is an assumption here that music is "created" and or "programmed" instead of just played and recorded as is.

Honestly, I am not sure if you're using creative in a more serious tone by the end of your post, so you'll have to explain wheather you are for or against the term created. I think created, played, written, all come under the same roof when composing. Though I think composed and arranged is a safer term to describe the basics of the music writing & making process. But there is not set term for it really.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »

hyperduck, can you recommend some good composition tutorials or lessons? like online stuff? some kinda advanced stuff regarding emotions and stuff? you seem like a knowledgeable guy(s) about this kinda stuff  Smiley

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2009, 02:49:30 AM »

Gee, the talks here are pretty serious.

All i know about music is that i open FL studio and use the piano roll. Oh, and the mixer sometimes. I'm pretty much oblivious to any and every musical term ever conceived, if you asked me what was the difference between harmony and melody i'd stare blankly at you for five seconds, then reply with an "eh". I've had clients who've paid me to make music for their games, and they haven't asked me once about the tools i use, or how i make it. Some of my tracks sounds better than some tracks from people who've studied music properly.

I don't really understand the problem with this is, yet some people have shunned me because of that- if it works for games, then isn't it good?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »

TL;DQ
So you signed up just to make an "electronic music isn't real music" post?  Huh?

Most people don't have the time or willingness to learn how to play an instrument just to write a 2-minute piece of music for their 8bit-style retro platformer. Also, most people don't have the facilities to make a good-sounding recording of an instrument (save for things like plugging an elecric guitar directly into a computer).

Another thing, why do people always reduce music to melody and harmony? There are other things that are just as important, if not more.
Kekskiller
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2009, 06:06:13 AM »

If I would use and record a "real instrument" (my gameboy is a music instrument, too, by the way, but another kind) I wouldn't get the sound I want. And what's my motivation for making music? The sounds I want, custom music and dismantling of unwanted emotions. There's much more than just "the proper way of making, learning and mastering music". If you're taste says you it's music, it's already music. In addition, if you're able to figure out how the stuff work you just did (independent from instrument, medium or whatever) you can make a system out of it. And maybe it becomes a genre, a style. I played keyboard when I was very young, but it didn't help me to make or even understand music. But the computer helped. It's system of synthesizers and programs - NONE of your "your" instruments.

So, in the end IT DOESN'T MATTER. I've seen dudes making music with their bicycles while riding on it. If you think the classical music instruments are the only real way to go, you're a blind, narrow-minded person.

I feel like a noise fanboy.

Another thing, why do people always reduce music to melody and harmony? There are other things that are just as important, if not more.
Good question! I'm not sure, but as I always say - there are a lot of narrow-minded people in the world. And some of them make music.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »

because melody and harmony are the one thing that affects emotion the most, which is pretty important for game/film composition. Yes, there are many other important parts to music and i agree they are too much looked over, but melody and harmony are pretty much the most important parts.

but tbh, i compoase by ear, not rules Smiley

Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

I've been playing and writing music for many years. I can play the piano, drums, guitar, and bass. I also go into electronic stints and write tracks in FL studio. I have written a few pieces for games.

Here's my advice for people who want to write their own music: learn to play an instrument. Really. There appears to be a debate going on in this topic about the benefits and detraction of electronic versus recorded music, but I can say that this is a false dichotomy. Knowing how to play an instrument will help you write music regardless of what kind you are writing.

Learn to play an instrument, and you will learn what sounds good and what sounds bad by pure instinct. Particularly, you should learn to improvise on an instrument to a pre-recorded track or with a band. It will vastly improve your ear for good music, and will give you key insight into how to compose melodies and arrange harmonies, and will greatly improve your sense of rhythm and coordination.

Knowing theory helps, of course. Having good software and good instruments also helps, but there is no substitute for a good ear and many hours of practice with a band or against pre-recorded tracks.

Then, if you still want to do electronic music, you can use a cheap MIDI keyboard to input parts into your program. Trust me, this will greatly improve the soul and quality of your music.

Music is not like programming. It is more like drawing, or some other art. It is not something which you can just read a book about and then get into.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't "read the books" i.e. study music theory. Studying music theory can do nothing but help you. But no amount of music theory can be a replacement for talent and practice.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:50:31 AM by Theotherguy » Logged

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »

Well they miss out on rhythm. Theoretically all aspects of music can be distilled into elements of melody, harmony, and rhythm.

Also, having a good ear is MOST important. The reason music theory is highly desired for players and composers is that it makes the job easier, regardless of any other explanations. It gives a musician knowledge of what has been proven to be effective in the past and allows them to accomplish what they want quicker because they know what works and why.

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »

^ what that guy said. i know some great composers that dont actually play any instruments (well, they can usually plonk a few piano keys, but notthing significant) and they write some phenominal music, just using Reason or Fruityloops. there are no real requirements for being a good composer, you dont need to know how to play an instrument, you dont need to know about melody harmony rhythm or bass, all you need to know is whether what your making sounds good or bad, and thats opinion, so you can get thta shit wrong, you  konw?

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »

I typed quite a lot but if i was going to summarize it all, I'd say that you do what you feel is right and nobody in this day and age can tell you it's wrong. To be honest, no method is wrong anymore. No method was ever EVER wrong. And it's opinions that try and make it wrong, if somebody wants metal techno, you can do it, then it's done. If somebody wants a string quartet, you can do it, then it's done!!

All of the above posts proceeding my way-too-long-post make more than enough sense and I agree with all of the very simple and valid points made. We're derailing the topic of game Music Tutorials, here should be a resource facility of game soundtrack tutorials, not a debate of what is right and wrong. Sure thing, have that debate, im game for it, but lets keep this as the great library of knowledge and opinions it has always been! I love this place!

Also JMickle, I have been out merrymaking for the last 7 hours so I'm gonna rain-check on that post you made, I will post some more useful information when I can, and thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them greatly. (Irish people do tend to celebrate christmas x5 as much as other peoplez, glugwinZzzzZzzz) It's just Chris Geehan, I, who post through this profile. Dan doesn't correspond as much as I with the Indie Game Community. He will though, in time Smiley just shy!

Nite!

Dave Matney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2009, 06:27:40 AM »

So, going back to what I thought this thread was about to begin with...

For those of us that know how to write music, and use whatever software we decide to use, can any of you think of tips and tricks for writing video game music, specifically, vs. writing for film or writing for bands?

"Have we grown so hard we can't feel right or wrong, or have we grown so cold we just don't care?" - Dave Matney
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »

So, going back to what I thought this thread was about to begin with...

For those of us that know how to write music, and use whatever software we decide to use, can any of you think of tips and tricks for writing video game music, specifically, vs. writing for film or writing for bands?
ooh ooh me i know this one!i have had a few bands and wrote the music for them, and also compose game music, just to give you a bit of background.

The first thing is you are writing looped music (most of the time). I once heard DannyB say that you need to make it like an M C esher impossible waterfall kind of thing; that is, when it loops round, it seems to be even stronger than last time, pushing the music and game onwards, and you dont do this with film or band music, since the music is played once, not many time.

an example of this is the soundtracks to Meatboy and Canabalt, you kind of don't notice when the music loops around, blurring where the start and end of the pieces are, instead just noticing the different sections. and making you rock the fuck out.

so yeah, thats one thing. obviously there are no rules so this isn't always applied, but its a good thing to note. (for instance the music for Iji is all 3 to 4 minute rock songs pretty much, and i can easily see a band playing them, in the form that they are)

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »

Iji was not written with the true intention of successfully looping. Since every song dithered into silence except Kinda Green. I think..

LOOPING!

Looping is important for a level track to flow, you don't want a point in a song that feels awkward, like ending in a keychange from the original and then it jolts uneasily back to the original key, if you want to go back to the original key naturally, do it before you loop.

Also, with this in mind, another point can be addressed, sure you can keep the section the same throughout and make looping a lot easier, but write the tune in terms of how long the developer feels it should take to complete that level, or kill that boss, or play out that cut scene. In terms of level tracks, if the level takes 12-15 minutes to complete and you will not hear that track again, there is no harm in making a 2-3 minute track. If it takes longer, say 25+ minutes, a 3-4 minute track is a good idea.

If you write a tune that loops and is 2 minutes, but stays on the Gminor and moves to the Cmaj and back and forth and bla bla bla, make sure you make it dynamic, and rhythmically intriguing, or if it is ominous, make sure it spreads out well, and doesn't fall TOO thin on the ears, you want to convey the feeling the developer is looking for in that level basically.. so listen to them, and you will overcome a lot of confusion, find your methods through their words.

'He's fighting in a deep dark damp cave this level, it's pretty eerie and there's not an incredible rush of action happening all the time' ok what does that mean to you? Distant percussion? spaced out sections? Rhythmically sparse? It's all down to your own interpretation, if you feel it is right, then stick with it. Conviction is the key to nailing these obstacles to the wall so you can turn around and say, 'that's how i like it'.

SOoo...

It's dependant on the game you're writing for, if you listen to JetsNGuns, Machinae Supremacy wrote the music for that as rock tunes, which, like Iji, you could maybe imagine a real band playing. There is nothing wrong with that element, it's one of many that are available.

On a less looping side and more compositional side, one thing I find that is important. Get into it, if you want to convey an emotional for a particular level track, that's good. In TrashMan the intensity of the music goes from 1 to the top throughout the levels. With the final level track being quite intense and dramatic, it runs with the storyline, it reacts to the situation the character you are playing, is in. Almost trying to convey what that character is experiencing is half way to making a track with real conviction.

This is just a lot of rambling, but should be something in there. Maybe.

EDIT: I was reading this recently, I think it's worth the read. So check it out. http://nwn.bioware.com/players/profile_david_john.html Interview with David John, composer behind NeverWinter Nights OST.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:29:32 AM by HyperDuck » Logged

Dave Matney
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »

On a less looping side and more compositional side, one thing I find that is important. Get into it, if you want to convey an emotional for a particular level track, that's good. In TrashMan the intensity of the music goes from 1 to the top throughout the levels. With the final level track being quite intense and dramatic, it runs with the storyline, it reacts to the situation the character you are playing, is in. Almost trying to convey what that character is experiencing is half way to making a track with real conviction.

I think there are a couple gems in that paragraph, especially when you're trying to back a story-driven game.  

First, build the game in intensity... don't have every level at intensity 11, even if every level is basically the same thing, start at, say, intensity 6 and slowly work your way up.

Second, follow the mood of the story.  Playing a ridiculously happy tune right after Aeris died would only be wouldn't have been fitting, for example.

"Have we grown so hard we can't feel right or wrong, or have we grown so cold we just don't care?" - Dave Matney
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

Yes, exactly! Could you summarize my posts from now on? You do it so well   Beer!!!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2009, 04:19:08 AM »

Summary : Hyperduck agrees.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2009, 05:45:44 AM »

Actually, I like going for juxtaposition. For instance, I like the idea of an intense, difficult action game having a kind of calm, quiet soundtrack (see Linley's shmups, and to a lesser extent Touhou for examples of what I mean).

I also did something like this in Pinknoise. The game's soundtrack is meant to go along with the progression of the game. During most of the time, it builds up in intensity, but during the mostfinal minute, which is the most frantic in the game, it goes all ambient and contemplative with warm synth pads. I like the effect of that. I think it enhances the "zen feeling" inherent in difficult shmups helps the player stay calm and focused. My new game Snowscreen also has a really calm soundtrack.

Speaking of warm synth pads, that's one of the things I meant when I said people reduce music to melody and harmony. Instrumentation and timbre are incredibly important.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »

Great point and also 100% correct. There are so many great approaches to writing game music it's incredible, I lurve it.

A calm soundtrack can def help in times of high stress lol. So yes, that's one to consider, the players reaction to the game without music, before you add it. Will it enhance the mood or make it worse? What are you working for or against in the mood of the player?

Instrumentation and timbre are essential, and in many cases, more important than (but not to obliterate the significance of) harmony and melody.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »

I think the reason why instrumentation and timbre are often ignored in indie game music specifically is that, let's face it, a lot of it is chiptunes. And rather generic ones too. When your choice of sounds consists of square waves, triangle waves and lo-res white noise, what kind of timbral decisions are you going to make? That's not to put down chiptunes, in fact I like a lot of them, it's just that I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to this stuff. I rarely use presets I didn't program myself, I like messing with the parameters and trying to find a certain sound.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic