Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:50:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralde-makes
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: de-makes  (Read 36809 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »

arne's thread of faithful oldgen to newgen remakes got me thinking.
what about the opposite? relatively new 3d games being remade for lesser platforms.
like that guy who ported ocarina of time to SNES, or turning doom into a cellphone RPG.

there was also that 8-bity katamari minigame that came with me and my katamari.
as if katamari was a 20 year old franchise that debuted on NES.
i though it was so great to see the game's aesthetic devolved into 8-bit sprites.
it worked SO WELL.

i fint it highly interesting to see what happens when that happens.
see how far you can push a game backwards, and see what gameplay elements remain intact. what got cut, what got added? does it play better?

can anybody think of other downgrades/de-makes?
can anybody think of a better name for those games?

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »

Is that homebrew NES version of GTA out yet? I could search for it... but I'm tired. Sad

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 02:07:09 PM »

There are the total conversion mods where people port, say, an older version of Quake to a newer version of Quake. Quake 2 in the Quake 3 engine and so forth.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 02:39:52 PM »

What about various famous games being made into lo-tech roguelikes? Doom and Castlevania come to mind (DoomRL is awesome, by the way. And addictive as hell).

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 02:42:42 PM »

Maybe not the best example, but I think Minish Cap probably qualifies.  A lot of the look of the game was pretty heavily influenced by Wind Waker.  Grand Theftendo was the first thing that came to mind as well, but the site appears to be...well in a holding pattern at least.  Can't even find the dude's blog anymore.

DISCLAIMER: apologies if I wander offtopic here, just something I've been thinking about lately...

Also, just want to throw out there that I friggin LOVE the idea of de-makes in general.  There are very few games that I think actually benefit in any tangible way from being in 3D; namely racing games, and a subsection of first person shooter and third person platformer games.  I think that nearly every other game that has ever been produced since the PS1 and the 3D wankfest began could have been equally engaging in 2D.  However, new game designs and new gameplay ideas HAVE emerged since 2D was sidelined to the portable systems, and I love seeing them integrated into traditional tiled games.  I also love seeing 2d games with 3d graphics; the viewtiful joes, the treasure shmups, etc.  these games warm my heart Smiley  2d gameplay is an awesome, beautiful thing, and it deserves to be back in the spotlight again, regardless of the general visual quality.

cup full of magic charisma
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 02:52:27 PM »

I think mega man sort of fits into this catagory. A 3d Mega man was made for playstation, mega man legends, and then afterwords they went back to making the original platformer 2d mega man games.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »

There is a reason why so many of the first 3D games were crap. They just jumped on the novelty bandwagon. Megaman went back to 2D cause the 3D game was crap. Same with Castlevania.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:59:05 PM »

Is that homebrew NES version of GTA out yet? I could search for it... but I'm tired. Sad

http://www.grandtheftendo.com

I don't think it's ever coming out. Undecided
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 03:43:13 PM »

I think mega man sort of fits into this catagory. A 3d Mega man was made for playstation, mega man legends, and then afterwords they went back to making the original platformer 2d mega man games.

and coming back full circle, the two psp ports were both 2D gameplay in 3D engines.

If I could vote for one demake, it would be Metroid. I played Prime and really disliked it. It's a good game, but it's not Metroid to me. I really wish they'd go back and do an orthographic 3D version for the Wii.

wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »

Is this the KD minigame mentioned in the initial post?

I don't know the origin of this one, either.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »

If I could vote for one demake, it would be Metroid. I played Prime and really disliked it. It's a good game, but it's not Metroid to me. I really wish they'd go back and do an orthographic 3D version for the Wii.

Definitely, Metroid needs new proper side scrolling games for the DS and the Wii. The DS Prime was awful. (I'm really looking forward to Prime 3, but Metroid still works best in classic 2D gameplay).

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 04:53:01 PM »

whoa! i wonder if that ico de-make pic is forreals.

judging from that alone - it doesn't look like it is accurately translating some of the core concepts of the game. why is there a time limit, and health?

cheers, rey-o
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »

Halo Zero and Codename Gordon are demakes of Halo and Half-Life respectively. Neither of them is very good. At first I was thinking FPS games don't translate very well as sidescrollers, but games like Soldat, Cortex Command and Stick Soldiers did a good job of getting a "FPS feel" in a 2D game.

It would be interesting to see a FPS demade as top down shooter.  A top down Gears of War with cover system intact could be pretty cool.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »

That's what I was gonna say about half-life... Now I gotta find another Wink

Oddbob
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »

There's a couple more oddities out there, but my brains frazzled and I'm off to bed. I'll try and rummage some out tomorrow if I don't forget by the time I wake up.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »

Holy hell... I'd love to see a 2d Shadow of the Colossus platformer. Shocked
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »

I totally see what you guys are talking about.
I currently exploring what Team Fortress would be like a platform game.

ALSO: Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GBC) wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for Metal Gear Solid (PS). While it's not a demake it certainly borrows elements from both Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:18:20 PM by robotacon » Logged
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 12:35:31 AM »

:-)

I couldn't find any better video, the guy who plays the game there sucks and takes a decade to make a single move.

~bs~
LineOf7s
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 03:49:45 AM »

It would be interesting to see a FPS demade as top down shooter.

Counter-Strike 2D

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 01:25:32 PM »

There's also Doom2D which is really old, i think it came out some time in the 90s.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic