Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:16:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLorn Vale [System driven bounty-hunting in an ancient desert city]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Lorn Vale [System driven bounty-hunting in an ancient desert city]  (Read 6701 times)
Phoobs
Level 0

jlmg

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:10 PM »

Lorn Vale  is a systems driven top-down action *buzzword* roguelite set in a low-fi/fantasy universe.

Alot of the features are still up in the air, but the core game is:

• Character advancement through traits, that are gained on character creation and through gameplay, similar to Crusader Kings II. Traits allow you to go from a generic human to a 3 eyed Wizard-barbarian with claustrophobia. There're also randomly generated weapons and "pre-built" item/artifact system massing not unlike that of BoI.

• Each pseudo-randomly generated level has a little eco-system, ie. A merchant hired pack of greedy mercenaries want your head, in another part of the level some sewer fishmen have emerged from a well, looking for prey, but have disturbed a nest of mutant cultists and are now running for their lives. Meanwhile, you're in the thick of it and looking for your target.

• An overworld map of the city (Explored either freely, node by node or per region)

• Some sort of persistence on top of unlockable items, characters, level segments, etc.

Fun is also a feature.*

skellingtons

We’re a team of 2 people, me on the programming side and my buddy - Achrileg doing art and animations.

Will add gameplay as soon as I figure out how to record and convert to webm with decent frames. I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding screen capturing and converting software, thanks!

big explosion
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:38:24 AM by Phoobs » Logged

dszordan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »

I really dig the color palette and the overall theme. Almost like a Mad Max or Fallout.

Check out OBS for some free screen recording software. I wouldn't know what to make gifs or webms with just yet, but OBS may even have that feature and I'm not aware of it.

Are you developing from scratch?
Phoobs
Level 0

jlmg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »

@dszordan

Thanks! Will check out OBS. And the game is being made in GM:S.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »

This looks really REALLY cool, I dig the environments, the animations and everything you said so far about the mechanics! Looking forward to more updates Smiley

Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »

@dszordan

Thanks! Will check out OBS. And the game is being made in GM:S.

Have you made any games in GM:S before? How long have you been working on it to get to the state it is at now?

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »

I don't know much about webm but licecap by cockos is the go to for gif capturing.

This game sounds neat and I can't wait to see it in action.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Phoobs
Level 0

jlmg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »

@Netsu

Thanks, man.

@Pezomi

I've been working with GM:S for a year now. I've made a couple of prototypes, but this is my first game and we've been pursuing this concept for around 2-3 months.

@Aldo

Appreciate, it. Also - I've been tinkering with licecap, but I just can't get smooth fps from it. Might be due to my rapidly ageing pc, though.

some mercenaries

binaryboi01
Level 0

Toy-like people make me boy-like

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »

Posting to follow  Wink

Phoobs
Level 0

jlmg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »

Everything is very WIP, ofcourse.

tiny plasma explosion
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:34:21 AM by Phoobs » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »

The colours are wonderful. The particle effects look beautiful too! What platforms will you export to from your copy of GM:S?

premonster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

@OP: You do realize you're making a game, right?

As much as it looks pretty, could you please tell us how it is going to PLAY?

What buttons do i push and what happens on the screen when i do so?
Phoobs
Level 0

jlmg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

@JctWood

Thanks! The game is developed with PC m+kb in mind, but we're open for controller support and other platforms down the line, so who knows.

@premonster

It's a fast-paced m+kb action game with permadeath, lots of loot and character traits/perks. Combat is important and Bounty hunting is the central mechanic. If you're looking for arbitrary game comparisons - dark souls + hitman + something from Bullfrog.

premonster
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »

Should be turn-based. Too similar gameplay to Nuclear Throne.
binaryboi01
Level 0

Toy-like people make me boy-like

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »

You mean every 2d roguelike with guns is similar to Nuclear Throne and should be changed because of that? I strongly disagree with you.

TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure there is more than enough room for another real time action game... big world out there.
premonster
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »

Set in a post-apo desert setting.
dszordan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

As an indie development forum, I would figure indie developers would makes games without needing to desperately concern themselves with market saturation. I would hope that as an indie developer, yourself, that you would realize that if you enjoy something, just do it. I found your comment pretty rude, maybe there's a language barrier here, but to assume that developers shouldn't make games because there may be overlap from another game and to bluntly say they should change direction feels rude.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »

As an indie development forum, I would figure indie developers would makes games without needing to desperately concern themselves with market saturation. I would hope that as an indie developer, yourself, that you would realize that if you enjoy something, just do it. I found your comment pretty rude, maybe there's a language barrier here, but to assume that developers shouldn't make games because there may be overlap from another game and to bluntly say they should change direction feels rude.
Hand Clap
premonster
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

Oh sorry i was thinking that as an indie community we should be trying to make slightly original games. Sorry!
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »

I for one didn't think of Nuclear Throne at all as a first reaction. The art style reminds me slightly of Hyper Light Drifter though, in a good way. I really like the setting, and the smoke effects and explosions looks really cool.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:45:54 AM by kruxus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic