Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:56:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRectangle Rodeo preview
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rectangle Rodeo preview  (Read 3033 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »

My newest tech demo had went terribly wrong. It turned into an experimental sort of game ish. I'd like to offer it to every TIGerSaucer for the purpose of tearing to shreds and probably gluing random stuff on top of it. That'd look nice, won't it.

Controls are left right and up. Scoring goes like so: every consecutive jump on top of the big grey rectangle is one point. if you touch any other tile, floor, wall or ceiling, the points are reset. Touching of any other side of the grey rect results in bruising. Bruises have no significance at this point.

P pauses the game.
F5 switches between full screen and windowed mode, but you'll want to pause the game beforehand, because, well, you'll see anyway.

We got menus, presscape.

Screenie.

The stage is freely editable (41x36 tiles for one single screen, I haven't tried it with smaller values), you'll want to edit tilerenderer01.lds and world01.lds in the DATA subfolder, they're pretty much self explanatory. No matter how big your tile bitmaps, the rendering will go by the grid size values in the map file (world01.lds), 16x16 by default.

The start position and size of the two rects are hardcoded, x is the middle of the map, y is 2/5 for the grey, 1/2 for the red one, all of them based on the map's dimensions.

Downloads:
OS X:
Windows:

Ole! Beer!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:41:34 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »

updated; links are in the first post.

letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »

For some reason, I can't see anything but the background. Which sucks cuz this looks fun. Sad

increpare
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »

i thought it was pretty diverting; have a highscore of, like 5 though.  I don't see what use their is really to the level above the main level.

slowing down the bull, and making this multiplayer, where people can push eachother off, could be quite interesting...
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:57 AM »

For some reason, I can't see anything but the background. Which sucks cuz this looks fun. Sad
I'm afraid it does happen when initialization takes too long; please press Escape and hit "restart" from the menu. (what FPS (and CPS) are you getting?)

i thought it was pretty diverting; have a highscore of, like 5 though.  I don't see what use their is really to the level above the main level.

slowing down the bull, and making this multiplayer, where people can push eachother off, could be quite interesting...
thanks.=) the top level doesn't have a lot of use; I've left it there from the game's techdemo days when I wanted to see it scraaawwwwllll (to test camera clamping and the parallax effect).

I definitely want to make this a bit more progressive, starting off with a slow bull that accelerates slightly after each successful jump (then resets after falling of). But the real deal is the multiplayer, I really like the idea; I'll look into it.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:03:38 AM »

I definitely want to make this a bit more progressive, starting off with a slow bull that accelerates slightly after each successful jump (then resets after falling of). But the real deal is the multiplayer, I really like the idea; I'll look into it.
Great; I think it would be really worthwhile to do so.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:04:47 AM »

the other day I've sketched up some skeleton code which will help me with my first couple of games. today I've started working on the reimplementation of the Rectangle Rodeo based on the skeleton. Just devising the main menu structure spawned some ideas, I'll shovel them in here:
- bull is playable in one/two player(s) game
- multiple bulls / progressive bull fights with more difficult enemies
- cowboy mode (chase bull(s) to and keep them at designated area)
- customizable entities (texturizing those rectangles)

let me know what you think!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic