Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:50:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLode Runner: The Mad Monks' Rewrite
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Lode Runner: The Mad Monks' Rewrite  (Read 21835 times)
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »

Hey!

I finally got back on my linux computer, continuing with testing now Tongue

For the record I'm running a 32bit Ubuntu 14.04LTS, but my graphics card is kinda sucky (supports openGL up to 1.2 or something). I doubt that'll be an issue, but that's my first bet if there are problems getting this to run.

I also tried the mac version, but when launching, it only flashed the screen and shut down. I suspect the reason is that I'm running os X 10.6.8, but I don't know why it would be so :D

- - - -
quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »

The only other bug I found was saving progress. It seems to be stuck then. I'm downloading the patch now.

EDIT: Hold on, that's a .exe file? Should I remove the extension? Because otherwise Wine just wants to load it.
Saving isn't done yet, the save button when quitting playing a game is just for show at the moment.
No, don't rename the execute. Just replace the exiting LODERUNN execute and it should be fine. Are you able to try it without Wine, rather using the native Linux copy?

Hey!

I finally got back on my linux computer, continuing with testing now Tongue

For the record I'm running a 32bit Ubuntu 14.04LTS, but my graphics card is kinda sucky (supports openGL up to 1.2 or something). I doubt that'll be an issue, but that's my first bet if there are problems getting this to run.

I also tried the mac version, but when launching, it only flashed the screen and shut down. I suspect the reason is that I'm running os X 10.6.8, but I don't know why it would be so :D

Hmm, could you please email me your ERR.LOG file to hello at quarkrobot dot com? You can find it in /Library/Application Support/LODERUNN

Thanks to both JobLeonard and TheWing for testing for me. I really appreciate the feedback and time you spend. Cheers!

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »

For those interested, head over to the downloads page and try out the Windows, Mac or Linux builds.
This was another bumper update with loads of bug fixes and compatibility quirks resolved and some monk related fixes. Well worth the download.

I've decided to bite the bullet and redo the monk AI from scratch. It isn't working at the moment and it is as far as I can take it. That's my goal for the next few weeks until the next update.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2015, 02:49:02 AM »

Downloading at the speed of wifi

PS: I shared your website on facebook, it was met with quite a few positive replies. Lots of Win95-era Lode Runner fans in my age group (30-something)
quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2015, 04:15:10 PM »

Thanks for sharing and caring JobLeonard!

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »

not sure if this bug has been found, but I bumped into it quite straight off:

Climbing up a ladder, ready to go left to another ladder when I reach the top, as in, pressing the right key before actually at the top.. so, when I reach the top, first of all, the guy sidesteps (like on two adjacent ladders) onto the 2nd ladder, but then when he should be at the bottom of the 2nd ladder, instead he jumps back on top of the 1st ladder, unable to move.

Holding both keys

Still holding

After a side-step animation

This was on Win7 64-bit

- - - -
quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »

No, you are the first to find that one. I've fixed it now. Thanks.

Turns out in the original he never did the cross ladder animation when coming off the top of a level to ground level so I've modified mine to match.

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »

I had some time off recently so I decided to do another bumper update. I got quite a lot of work done and a lot of new things added. Monk AI still needs work and I'll do that for the next update. I've decided to do monthly update so the next one will be July 28th.

If you've got the time, please head over the downloads page and try the June update. As usual, Windows, Mac and Linux are available to try out.

• over 30 fixes
  • minor AI tweaks
  • improved two-player stability
  • editor saves the toolbox position on exit
  • eyedropper tool will go back to the last paint tool (brush, line or block) instead of the brush

I've also rewritten the exiting select/cut/copy/paste from the ground up. It's now much faster, better performance and better matches MS Paint in regards to functionality. Also, you can now flip a selection horizontal (CTRL+<) or vertical (CTRL+>) which allows for much faster creation of symmetrical puzzles. You can read more about the process on this blog entry

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2015, 01:03:49 AM »

Hand Clap
quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »

It's been a big month for my Lode Runner Online: The Mad Monks' Revenge rewrite. Lodes of fixes and new features were added. Most importantly, monk AI got some attention and the source of the constant crashing was tracked down and fixed.

Please head over the downloads page and try the July update. Windows, Mac and Linux are all updated and ready to try out.

You can read a summary of all the updates made in July here"Quirks Mode" was added to allow you to play with most of the quirks from the original. You'd be surprised, like I was, the quirks mode was requested by several people.

Gamepad support was added. You can now use a supported controller to play. So far, Xbox One and Xbox 360 controller have been tested. Force-feedback is present too; you'll get a shake when a bomb goes off, when you get strung up in a rope trap, drill with the jackhammer or get buried under rubble.

The options dialog was updated to support Quirks Mode, gamepad support and basic language toggling.

Only English and French are available and the French is only partially on the file dialog for now. The original Lode Runner font doesn't have any non-English characters so I will have to take the time to draw them.

And finally, a new single/two-player dialog. The original had far too many buttons, was too complicated for a first time user and had too much empty space. The new dialog focuses more on choosing a puzzle to play without having to click more buttons.

I know changing this dialog breaks my "keep everything from the original" but the original wasn't very good... The new dialog does match the style and theme of the rest of the game nicely.

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

The August update of my Lode Runner Online: The Mad Monks' Revenge is up and ready to download.

Some of the features;
  • basic LAN gameplay - very experimental at the stage
  • new LAN join/host dialogs
  • updated player movement to closer match original
  • updated options dialog
  • fix bug that stopped puzzled made in this rewrite opening in the original
  • AI fixes
  • 40+ overall fixes and improvements

Next update will be the end of September. This will see better LAN and here is a little sneak peak of a future update...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2015, 02:20:35 AM »

Will there also be a mode where one player is the Lode Runner, can see everything, and everyone else is a monk, and has limited vision? Like that Pac-Man multiplayer mode back in the day?
quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »

Good idea, that can be added. Maybe add it to a lobby where you can choose to be a Runner or a Mad Monk.

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2015, 05:11:34 PM »

The September build is up and ready to download for all platforms (Windows, OS X and Linux). You can read a complete rundown of September build on my blog here. This month was a big one - over 70 updates and major fixes to monk AI.

• LAN game improvements
  • LAN games use 70% less bandwidth than last build
  • you can now save and restore games
  • fixes to monk AI to make puzzle solvable
  • 7+ fixes to the editor, making puzzle creation easier
  • partial support for older Gravis Gamepad Pro models + others
  • bug fixes when playing secret puzzles
  • code clean-up
  • audio crackle in AVI videos fixed
  • YOG cheats fixed
  • fixes to monk AI when climbing out of blasted holes
  • rope trap now matches original
  • fixes to some sound issues

Next months build (October) will improve upon the monk AI and LAN games. If you'd like to have a sneak peak before then, just email and I'll send you over a test.

Easily see where a teleport connects to

Save and restore your game

Easier to see what you are clicking or painting

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »

I like making puzzles for Lode Runner but I'm quite shit at it to be honest. I'm not very creative so it takes me a long time to come up with anything playable.

To fix this, I've added a random puzzle generator feature to paint in some random items to give you a helping hand. The results are not perfect and a lot of manual tweaking is needed but as you can see in the video below, I create, edit and test drive a puzzle in five minutes.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2015, 04:03:49 AM »

Always liked playing Lode Runner back in the day and this is looking like a great remake  of the original. Impressed with the amount of detail you're going into.

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »

Thanks Franklins Ghost! That's my goal - try and replicate obsessively Smiley

quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »

Another bumper month. Despite just one dev working on this project this month, over 100 fixes were made. You can download the October build and read a full summary of the changes. 37 bugs were found by testers - thanks a lot.

Nutshell:
  • Mouse control added
  • major overhaul of player updating and animation code
  • several monk AI fixes
  • monk only teleport - this was suggested by TIG member, Lavi
  • fixes to goo and pick-axe
  • LAN is now stable and playable
  • dozens of bug fixes

Monks climbing out of holes

More key bindings added

Monk-only teleports

Mouse control support

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2015, 02:19:19 AM »

Nice!

I just realised that this will be an awesome two-player hot-seat game on longer trips. Games like that are so rare these days
quarkrobot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »

Yep, hardly any have co-pilot support which is a bit of a shame.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic