Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:41:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKerfuffle
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Kerfuffle  (Read 96878 times)
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »

Played by myself and I think I won. Really like the flip you do after attacking. Cool stuff!

PXLForce
Level 0

I don't really know what I'm doing.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »

Only been able to try out the first build as Chrome blocked V0.0.5 as malicious...  Huh?

I think the art style is really nice and I love how the character changes shape as he jumps about! Combat is also nice and fluid! Do you plan on adding any dangers to future stages, such as spike traps, lava, falling off the stage, etc?
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »

Tell Chrome to shut up. You can do that.

It wants to say its malicious because its a random ass exe from dropbox.

Anyway, yes I'm gonna add stage hazards.

PXLForce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »

That's what you'd want me to think...   Cheesy

All is fine, just tried it out. Dashing works great! Also just noticed how the screen shakes when you're killed, neat stuff.
PXLForce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:23 AM »

Just been messing about with the latest build and me and a friend found a bug which stops the player from moving, attacking, etc.

To reproduce the bug, whilst in the air quickly press attack then dash in rapid succession and the player will glide across the screen and just get stuck. To get out of it, the player has to be killed.

If that didn't make sense, here's a GIF of the bug:

Hope this helps! Smiley
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 03:36:21 AM »

If that didn't make sense, here's a GIF of the bug:

Hope this helps! Smiley
He's just surprised the blue guy disappeared!

Also, it's really fun :D Just messing around is enjoyable, good job!

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

Ah cool, thanks for the gif. I have seen the bug happen a few times but was never able to replicate it.

I'm refactoring everything right now and it *should* fix that when I'm done.

That is of course if I ever finish setting up these I̴͖̳͈̓ͬ̃̇́̎ͥ͡N̴̖̳̤͚͕̦͎͔̆ͪ̔͊̉́́ͨͅF̗̲̫̖̘ͭ̍ͥͣͦĒ̷̘ͭ͆͗͛ͫ̅ͣ́R̻͉̻͚̜͚̈͑ͭN͍̝ͣ̈́ͯ̈̇ͥ̓͟A̴̼̱͈̺̬̯͙̐Lͬ̀̑̀̐̀͏̬̦̪͙̯͚ ̫̳̇̑͒̿͒̈́̄̀͊M̯̺̣͂̾ͫͮͧ̐ͩ͗̚E̦̖̻͓̼͂ͨ͊̎͆ͨͯN̵̵̥̘̺̖̤̄͌̈͑ͥ̔͌ͣƯ̵̲̩̥̟̠̋̑͂͝ͅS̢̘͓͎̭͎̰̤͖͉ͣ̓̅ͭ̇͐
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:58:42 AM by Rat Casket » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »

I am working on adding two new characters along with refactoring everything.

The circle character has a slightly higher base move speed, and slightly higher acceleration. His weapon is a sai, and as such, his range is shorter than the square. He is also locked in his attack animation for less time than the square, making him seem incredibly fast.

The triangle character has the same base move speed but lower acceleration, which makes him feel slower without handicapping him too much. His weapon is a battle axe, which has a much taller hitbox than the sword and sai but it has equal range to the sword. He his locked in his attack animation longer than the square, making him the slowest character.

PXLForce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »

I am working on adding two new characters along with refactoring everything.

The circle character has a slightly higher base move speed, and slightly higher acceleration. His weapon is a sai, and as such, his range is shorter than the square. He is also locked in his attack animation for less time than the square, making him seem incredibly fast.

The triangle character has the same base move speed but lower acceleration, which makes him feel slower without handicapping him too much. His weapon is a battle axe, which has a much taller hitbox than the sword and sai but it has equal range to the sword. He his locked in his attack animation longer than the square, making him the slowest character.

Nice! I look forward to playing the next build! Me and my friends have been having a blast playing the current build at college, it's a simple concept but executed so well! :D
Canned Turkey
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »

Not try'n to tell you how to make your game, but if you added taunts, grabs, and just more ways of interacting with the other player, it would make the game more engaging.
Not saying you have to just throw'n out an idea.
Throwing would be fun too.

It's really fun anyway, I've beat my dog 10-0.
I don't think she gets how to use a keyboard.

I'm so sorry I couldn't help myself...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:53:31 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Monthral
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »

hey there, im one of PXLForces friends and i have played this game with him and we find it so much fun! Grin keep up the good work!
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »

Not try'n to tell you how to make your game, but if you added taunts, grabs, and just more ways of interacting with the other player, it would make the game more engaging.
Not saying you have to just throw'n out an idea.
Throwing would be fun too.

I'm so sorry I couldn't help myself...

Throwing/grabbing has no place, since every hit is a kill. If you're close enough to throw them you are close enough to stab them. Normals beat out throws. Its just science.

Taunts would be cool.

I'm adding stuff like a shield, level hazards, and items/power ups.

Also about your edit... I'm telling Mono and hes gonna beat you up IRL. My advice? Stay outta Sweden for a while.

hey there, im one of PXLForces friends and i have played this game with him and we find it so much fun! Grin keep up the good work!
Sick! I'm glad you guys like it.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »

Oh okay cool.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »

Oh okay cool.

I like your edit btw. <3

Canned Turkey
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »

Thanks, I do too.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »

Lets talk about frames.

Startup Frames:
How many frames the move takes before its capable of hitting your enemy.

Active Frames:
How many frames the move is capable of hitting for.

Recovery Frames:
How many frames it takes for your attack to finish, and to return to a state in which you can input another command

This is the basis for all fighting games. This is how normal fighting games are balanced, more or less. Fast moves with low startup/recovery frames deal less damage than big moves with more startup/recovery frames. Compare a round house kick to a quick jab. Jab is obviously much faster right? Right.

Kerfuffle was missing these frames in the jam version. Your weapon was always active. Which is fine for having only on character and one move set. This became less fine when I added faster/slower characters. Its not a problem for faster characters for the most part, but for slower characters it introduces an interesting problem.

The amount of time the weapon remains out determines the amount of time you are frozen in the air, which means you're a sitting duck the entire time. However this also means that your weapon is on the field for an extended period of time which isn't always a negative. Often times you can slam right into a players extended weapon without meaning to. The longer its out the more of a chance that has to happen. Which might be cool actually but I decided to fuck with frames anyway.

Considering I have no real animations here (everything is animated with code) I had to add some motion to the weapon to indicate startup, active, and recovery. My first attempt was simply scaling the weapon up, holding it at its max scale, and then scaling it back down. It looks okay but feels really soft. If that makes sense.

Problem 1 is that the weapon is appearing and disappearing out of literally nowhere. It doesn't come FROM the player, so it feels disjointed and awkward.

This is much better. I added some super fast forward motion on the startup, slower motion forward on the active, and a fast retraction on the recovery. It feels a lot better but only time will tell if its a better design decision than my previous setup with none of these frames.

Also, for fun, here is an slowed down gif of the startup(white), active(red), and recovery(blue) frames.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »

Look'n good, glad to see you pay attention to tiny details, this kinda stuff is really what defines good fighting games.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 03:58:46 AM »

I'm not sure if that tomato red was a good change. Other than that, cool stuff.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »

i like tomatoes  Angry
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »

its only that color because i havent added different colors to the new build, and that is the default red that game maker uses.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic