Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:34:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKerfuffle
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Kerfuffle  (Read 97005 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »

melee character gets stunned, knocked away, and potentially killed EVERY time a shield is successfully used.

projectile character casually jumps over the returning projectile IF they are even still on the same axis as it is.

the only way to make this work is to shield against a projectile at such a close range that it would kill the attacker, which is still not equally as balanced as melee which isnt always guaranteed to die.

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: April 22, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

Maybe you don't even need to change the shield to balance things out, but change something else to make projectile based chars more dangerous. A way to potentially do so is by making it so that melee attacks reflect bullets too, so the ranged dudes are on a constant run for the melee chars, waiting for the perfect moment, like when he's able to shield and thus stun the melee dude to shoot him. These are just ideas though, there are probs more waysto balance things out between range and melee without changing the shield, just pointing that out

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: April 23, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

nice to know that this fucking bug is back, and the previous fix doesnt work.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 23, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »

Wait, your entity count somehow increases the speed of your animations!?

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »

Check in your "with()" statements...

Sometimes I get this bug by accidentally having multiple "controllers" in a room, too. 
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: April 24, 2015, 04:03:37 AM »

i have no with statements in any of my code, in any object.

there is only 1 controller object, and even when its deleted, the problem persists.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 24, 2015, 04:13:09 AM »

Either something is calling the draw event of your player multiple times from outside of it, or Game Maker is broken. I'd like to take a look at your project file this afternoon if you don't mind, this bug really intruigues me. And it has to be something from outside the draw function, because all I can see in your pastebin link is prefectly functional, if a bit redundant with functions Game Maker already provides.

Edit: Try to remove all the code from your draw event and replace it with a draw self function along with code that manually increases the current frame. If it still increases the animation speed when you spawn multiple instances, you know it's from outside.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: April 24, 2015, 04:24:27 AM »

i try not to use any functions that game maker provides unless i absolutely have to.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:02 AM »

Why? as long as you understand what they do, they just make your life a whole bunch easier. Except for x_speed, y_speed and move_contact. Those ones suck.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:58 AM »

because, if for some reason they should break, *cough*, i cant do anything about it.

and because a lot of them are already broken.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:58 AM »

Well, there are a lot of obsolete fucntions that just do nothing. I just think that learning to properly use the tools you're given is more effective than programming everything yourself. You just have to make sure you understand what you're using 100% beforehand, either by reading up on it or testing it in a test game. Anyways I'll stop ranting now.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: April 24, 2015, 04:48:52 AM »

lol okay. except basic shit in game maker is LITERALLY broken and its 100% in your interests to use your own code. also, using things like alarms is really dumb and inefficient when you can just write the same thing in like 2 lines without having to open yet ANOTHER window in game maker, and you arent limited on how many you can have.

for example. using image_speed requires that i dont manually draw my sprite. which means i need to used image_xscale if i want to flip the sprite. which means the mask gets flipped. and since game maker is gutter trash, even if the mask is centered, its off by 1 pixel and can flip you right into walls/floors/other objects and get your characters stuck. not drawing and animating the sprite manually is simply out of the question.

i understand how to use the tools given to me.

which is why i choose not to use them.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 24, 2015, 05:02:14 AM »

Uhm, I think it only does that if you have an odd number as your sprite width, because I've never gotten stuck in a wall and I use image_xscale.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2015, 05:09:39 AM »

Daniel Linssen saved the day.

i feel so stupid. i had no idea that was even there, or how it would have gotten changed. fuck everything.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2015, 05:11:58 AM »

Oh wow

Yeah you know what screw Game Maker.

Edit: Like seriously that's so redundant it's sad. Why would you ever have that there when you have the "with" statement? That was a disaster waiting to happen, I'm glad I can look for it now if it ever happens.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:17:51 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: April 24, 2015, 05:18:32 AM »

also, as for the image_xscale thing, it happened on my first game and no matter what i did it just wouldnt work. i changed the size of the mask, the sprite, the origin, and it always had the same problem.

hell, i brought it up here and multiple people confirmed it was a built in problem with gm.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #576 on: April 24, 2015, 05:31:50 AM »

//xpost from your other thread

Have you been referencing ids too? Those are helpful for this kind of setup.

for instance:

Controller game start event:

global.p1 = -1
global.p2 = -1
global.p3 = -1
global.p4 = -1

Player create event:

if  global.p1 = -1 {global.p1 = id}
else
if  global.p2 = -1 {global.p2 = id}
else
if  global.p3 = -1 {global.p3 = id}
else
if  global.p4 = -1 {global.p4 = id}

That way you don't ever have to target oMomo, you can just target global.p
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: April 24, 2015, 05:38:57 AM »

i have all of that stuff set up already.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 24, 2015, 05:41:04 AM »

That actually seems like a really elegant thing to do, will use in the future!

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 24, 2015, 06:15:41 AM »

Out of curiosity why image_speed does it require that you don't manually draw your own sprite?

http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/drawing/drawing%20sprites%20and%20backgrounds/draw_sprite_ext.html

Sounds like that is what you're looking for. Let me know if it's not!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:22:33 AM by Grog » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic