Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 05:23:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject BW-1 [Sci-Fi]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project BW-1 [Sci-Fi]  (Read 1017 times)
pedroArtbit
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »

Guys it's still very early into development but I'll be posting info about the game we will be working on for the next couple of years.

It's a sci-fi game for desktop. The first ever desktop game we're making.

Right now, it's shaping up to be like a mix of Another World and Hotline Miami. The mood of the first with the pacing of the latter.

2D side-scrolling action game.

We will be working with Unity or GM:S. Right now I'm gearing more towards gm, even though I've never really used it. With Unity I just get the feeling all the time that I'm way in over my head..

www.bw-1.org

This project has evolved into this http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47166.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:53:39 PM by pedroArtbit » Logged
pedroArtbit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:20:40 AM »

Here's a few key points floating around in my head right now:

-Moody soundtrack. The guy I work with loves the stuff Reznor does for movie soundtracks, so expect a similar style.
-70's & 80's science fiction aesthetics. Think Alien, 2001, Blade Runner, Total Recall.
-Hard Sci-Fi story type. I used to work as an electrical engineer studying electro-magnetic fields, so I'll try to work some of the cooler concepts into the story as rigorously as possible.
-Reduced dialogs and general text-reading. We've got a good amount of time to make this game, so if we can show something instead of saying it, we will.
-Run & cover action.
-Some 5hr of gameplay.

edit:typos
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:13:10 AM »

This sounds really cool. What aspect of Another World are you going to try and capture? It is one of my favourite games and does an incredibly good job as using visuals not words to convey a message.

pedroArtbit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

Another World told a story in an incredibly cinematic way with very little resources. There's no single aspect that I'm focusing on. Just the general feel of the game and try to make progression less about trial and error and more about skill and flow.

Also, I love that smoothness and realism of the rotoscoped animations so a big challenge will be to go for that look without the somewhat unresponsive controls of AW, Flashback, Prince of Persia and alike.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:50:19 AM »

That sounds wonderful! I attempted to make a small prototype with a similar Rotoscoped aesthetic which felttighter but it was basically a less enjoyable Nidhogg. Which if you haven't played is definitely a source of inspiration you could tap.

pedroArtbit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

ok first things first. any decent 80's sci-fi need some kind of megacorp, so we'll start by that.

ours will probably be something like Xyacom, or Webbertech. You need a logo that transmits the solidity of a big company, so big squared letters, but that could be a symbol for something, so some kind of symmetry. This is because of the direction the story will be taking.

we should be going with something like this:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:40:32 PM by pedroArtbit » Logged
pedroArtbit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »

That sounds wonderful! I attempted to make a small prototype with a similar Rotoscoped aesthetic which felttighter but it was basically a less enjoyable Nidhogg. Which if you haven't played is definitely a source of inspiration you could tap.

Yeah Nidhogg came to mind a few times. Speeding up the animations gets rid of the lagginess of those kinds of rotoscoped characters but doesn't really fit this game though. Is Nidhogg worth the 12$?
Loop Gain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »

Is Nidhogg worth the 12$?

Eggnogg is a free Nidhogg-esque game. It's quite fun, too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic