Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412104 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 27, 2024, 08:01:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlux - A Magnetic Platformer (Free Download)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flux - A Magnetic Platformer (Free Download)  (Read 534 times)
vfqd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »

Description (in brief)

Stranded and alone in an eerie series of caverns, a lone robot hopes to find his way to the surface. Surrounded by the discarded industry and production of a once great factory, he must make his way through a treacherous labyrinth of grottos. Many obstacles lie ahead, but he must overcome all of them to ever have a hope of seeing the sunlight again. Flux is a puzzle platformer based around the idea of magnetism. The robot you control has the ability to both push and pull objects and you use this ability to navigate the levels and fight enemies (Ok I wrote that for my submission for my course, sorry if it's a bit over the top  WTF)

Download

Here is a dropbox link to the download, it's an executable .jar so you'll need java installed to run it.

http://goo.gl/Zf1Vfc

In any case, some images:

You can see some basic pulling (blue) and pushing (red) of the purple spheres

Some later stages

And one of the enemies

Some notes about me Huh? Hand Point Left and the game  

I am a second year games design and Comp Sci student at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa. I created Flux as part of my course work this year, to be fair I think I went seriously over the requirements Facepalm but I just had so much fun making this that I couldn't help myself. I used the LibGDX framework http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/ for java. Despite LibGDX having great physics libraries (Box2D) we were encouraged not to make use of it, so I wrote my own physics Shocked This, while not perfect, turned out pretty well (I think?). The main criticism from people who've played Flux is that it is too damn hard. Being new to level design and all, and having watched many of them play I think I have to agree Shrug  

Beyond that, I am not an artist and this game would not have been possible without the wonderful people over at OpenGameArt http://opengameart.org/ and I have included a full credits list with the download (scroll up for it).

Controls are simple:
 - X to push, Z to pull
 - Arrows to move
 - Lanterns act as checkpoint and save points so you can reload there at a later stage
 - Play with sound!

Currently I have two complete levels and an ending cutscene which really should have come after more levels but I ran out of time to make them before my deadline was due.

From here

I have a vague plan of making this into a fully fledged mobile game for Android (LibGDX is supposed to be very good cross platform) but I haven't started work in that direction and to be honest I'm not sure how to begin. I think I need smaller bite-size levels and that I can handle, but the controls really don't map well to a touchscreen. The only plan I've come up with so far is doing away with the arrow keys and simply allowing the player to push and pull. Any feedback in this area would be much appreciated, in fact, any feedback at all would be wonderful Grin

Thanks to you all for reading this far Tongue and I hope everyone who downloads this enjoys it Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:10:09 PM by vfqd » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic