Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:42:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Iji [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Iji [DONE]  (Read 110874 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »

Stats:
Iji is a hardy warrior who fights well at both short and long ranges. She is a little slow, but has great jumping abilities and a wide variety of weapons.

Move List:
A - Kick: A powerful, close range attack.
A> - Shotgun: Fires a burst of weak projectiles, similar to Liero's shotgun but faster and weaker.
A^ - Resonance Reflector: Strikes all enemies in a small circle around Iji, and also reflects projectiles.
Av - Rocket Launcher: Iji fires a rocket downwards at a 45 degree angle. It creates a small explosion when it hits.
S - Shocksplinter: Iji fires a single powerful projectile which explodes after a short distance.
S^ - Nuke: Iji fires a Nuke, creating a circular explosion around herself and also being propelled upward.
S> - Crack: Iji touches a target, electrocuting it and temporarily disabling its special attacks.
Sv - Velocithor: After a long charge-up time, Iji fires a massive laser that travels the length of the screen and goes through walls.

Sprites:
Portrait -Nooks
Idle -Godsavant, Soulliard, Veo
Walking -NineVSquid, Veo
Jumping -Moth, Veo
Hurt - ARdentSideburn
Throwing - ArdentSideburn
Shotgun -ArdentSideburn
Kick -ArdentSideburn, Mogget
Rocket Launcher -Veo, NineVSquid, Mokesmoe, Rostiger
Velocithor -Veo, Finals, ArdentSideburn
Crack -Shwart, E rac, Soulliard, Veo
Nuke - ArdentSideburn
Resonance Reflector -ArdentSideburn
Shocksplinter -ArdentSideburn

Original Post:
Well, there was no opposition in the Who Next thread, so I'm going to create a thread for Iji and start coding her. This is the movelist I propose, somewhat different from the one we've been looking at before:

A -  Kick: A powerful, close range attack.
A> - Shotgun: Fires a burst of weak projectiles, similar to Liero's shotgun but perhaps faster and weaker.
A^ - Shotgun (Up): Same thing, just firing upward.
Av - Resonance Reflector: Strikes all enemies in a small circle around Iji, and also reflects projectiles.
S - Cyclic Fusion Ignition System: Shoots electricity at a short range. Can be held down for a constant stream of damage, but has no knockback.
S^ - Nuke: Iji fires a Nuke, creating a circular explosion around herself and also being propelled upward.
S> - Rocket Launcher: A powerful projectile with a big explosion if it hits a player or a wall.
Sv - Crack: Iji touches a target, electrocuting it and temporarily disabling its special attacks.

The main change I have made is taking out the velocithor. I think it would just promote camping and nothing else. Likewise I took out the high kick because it didn't seem to be very distinct from the normal kick. In replacement of these two attacks are the two shotgun attacks, giving Iji a slightly greater focus on projectiles. I also shuffled around the attack designations a bit to hopefully make them more intuitive.

Comments/feedback/etc?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:00:43 PM by William Broom » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:35:54 AM »

Hmm... I thought the Velocithor (or at least the Plasma Cannon) would have been more unique. If there was enough of a warm up time, I'm sure it could be balanced (also, slow projectiles, like Quote's fireball, tend to promote camping more than fast ones).

Otherwise, it looks pretty good, although the Shotgun seems like a bit of an odd choice. I only used that weapon once after getting the Machine Gun.

Also, I think if might be more intuitive if Iji's A attacks were all relatively close-ranged. Maybe.  Shrug

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:22 AM »

I picked the shotgun because it seemed more memorable to me. You don't use it that much, but it is the first weapon you get and of course you need it to beat Asha.

OK how's about this:

A -  Kick
A> - Shotgun
A^ - Cyclic Fusion Ignition System
Av - Resonance Reflector
S - Crack
S^ - Nuke
S> - Rocket Launcher
Sv - Velocithor

The only problem I see with this version is that it doesn't really make that much sense for the CFIS to be an up-attack.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:57:54 AM »

That's a good point about the shotgun. I looked over the other weapons in Iji, and the shotgun is probably the most unique.

You could switch the controls for Kick and CFIS if you think that would make more sense.

One other thing- Even if we get permission for Quote, his Missile Launcher is the attack that is most likely to need to be changed. It's a really cool attack though, and it could work just as well for Iji, especially since the shotgun gives her a good horizontal projectile. If we gave Iji a Quote-style Rocket Launcher, it's controls would probably need to be switched with the Velocithor.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:34 AM »

How about you add a slow charge time for the velocithor, or in some other way make it so that you can't just use it whenever you want. It's supposed to be the most devastating weapon in the game.

When you actually fire it, it takes a second to load, and then you fire a massive beam of energy either left or right. Anybody caught in the beam will take large damage.

If you add a charge time between velocithor attacks, it'll prevent camping. If you add a short set-up time between pressing the buttons and the attack actually going off, you'll give the opponent time to get away. The Velocithor would make a very nice weapon for catching the opponent off guard, but would be simple to avoid if the enemy knows what he's doing.

Also, the kick should also be a fairly slow attack, but it should knock other enemies away from Iji. Pretty much all of Iji's attacks are long-range anyway, so she'd need some method of keeping them at a distance.
Neo1493
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »

well I now know what charecter Iam gonna use the most
.Vic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »

Just made something I wanted to share with you guys
Fuzz
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »

Yay! I really like that.

Edit: The one bad thing about the portrait is that her hair gets in the way of her left arm and makes it look a bit cluttered.

Edit 2: I don't mean her left arm, I mean the arm that is one the left when you look at it. I think that would be her right arm.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:33:23 PM by Fuzz » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »

That's perfect!  Kiss

Please stick around. Indie Brawl needs more talented artists.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »

That does indeed look very nice, nooks.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »

Wow, nooks this looks great! I'd love to see some more Iji sprites!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 06:43:06 AM »

nooks, that is looking great!

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »

Please stick around.  Kiss

Really, great job. It was obvious from the games that she was supposed to be pretty good looking and all, but you really made her adorable  Kiss Kiss
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »

Maybe you could replace the rockets with spread rockets, because the velocither already attacks strait forward.

godsavant
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »

You have just earned a notch of my respect.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 09:19:53 PM »

Maybe you could replace the rockets with spread rockets, because the velocither already attacks strait forward.
If it shoots straight forward, it's a bit redundant with the velocithor.

If it shoots in a spread, it's a bit redundant with the shotgun.

I still think the best solution is to have it shoot down at a 45 degree angle. Anyone who's played Quote knows how much fun that attack is, but Quote's missile launcher is probably going to have to be replaced. It would be nice to pass the attack along to Iji.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 03:29:10 AM »

Well, every weapon Iji has in her game has one upgrade. We could use this! If we give Iji a charge bar like GK, her weaker weapons can be replaced by the more powerful ones when the bar fills.

Also, we must have the banana gun. It's obviously her most powerful weapon!
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 04:16:21 AM »

Well, every weapon Iji has in her game has one upgrade. We could use this! If we give Iji a charge bar like GK, her weaker weapons can be replaced by the more powerful ones when the bar fills.
WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE POOR SPRITERS!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41:31 AM »

Iji's sprites won't change. In fact, most of her attack are her pointing her weapon at something, and some kind of projectile coming out. In fact, most of the "upgraded" projectiles are just variants on each other (missle shotgun is just 3 missles instead of one, auto-shotgun is just a fast firing shotgun). It probably wouldn't effect the work load by more than three sprites.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »

I don't think it would work. The nuke and reflector are integral to Iji's movelist.

Plus, Bonesaw-level power at a range? That's scary.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic