Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:09:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Iji [DONE]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Iji [DONE]  (Read 110883 times)
godsavant
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

I do condone giving her some variant of "super guns" as a way to represent upgrading, but keep in mind that there's no precendent in the original game involving 'charging' her guns to upgrade them. If anything, her 'charge' should lost when a.)she dies b.)she runs out of the "special bullets" (I believe this is a better way to limit her upgrade duration and balance her ranged advantage in powered mode, rather than a Bonesaw meter - just give her a special clip of ammunition), or c.) she upgrades a different weapon. She can never have two 'super' weapons at a time, so I think this should balance out that fact that it's a long-range Bonesaw.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »

I do condone giving her some variant of "super guns" as a way to represent upgrading, but keep in mind that there's no precendent in the original game involving 'charging' her guns to upgrade them. If anything, her 'charge' should lost when a.)she dies b.)she runs out of the "special bullets" (I believe this is a better way to limit her upgrade duration and balance her ranged advantage in powered mode, rather than a Bonesaw meter - just give her a special clip of ammunition), or c.) she upgrades a different weapon. She can never have two 'super' weapons at a time, so I think this should balance out that fact that it's a long-range Bonesaw.
I like the idea of special ammunition, but having her start with ammunition would cause balancing issues, in my opinion.

If we could arrange for such a thing, how about having successful hits knock ammo from enemies? She could then walk over to them and they would be added to her ammunition bar. For the purposes of simplicity, I figure there should be only a single type of ammo.
godsavant
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 12:33:02 PM »

I like the idea of special ammunition, but having her start with ammunition would cause balancing issues, in my opinion.

Sorry, I was typing that at the bus stop, so not very coherent...I never meant that she should have limited ammunition all the time; obviously, when she's in normal mode, she can shoot all she wants, but when she upgrades a weapon (i.e. 'goes Bonesaw'), her upgraded weapon has only a certain number of shots before going to back to normal. That's all I was saying.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »

That sounds like a lot of trouble for what it's worth. Iji's already got a few unique tricks up her sleeve. I don't think she needs another gimmick, especially one that's only loosely based on her game.

Giving her only one special weapon at a time does nothing to balance things out. One super weapon is just as overpowered as a choice between six. The only difference is it promotes spamming more.

godsavant
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »

That sounds like a lot of trouble for what it's worth. Iji's already got a few unique tricks up her sleeve. I don't think she needs another gimmick, especially one that's only loosely based on her game.

Giving her only one special weapon at a time does nothing to balance things out. One super weapon is just as overpowered as a choice between six. The only difference is it promotes spamming more.

That's why I suggested limited ammunition, but since this doesn't seem to be a very feasible addition, let's stop talking about this.
shig
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »

Is she going to walk slowly - and jump ridiculously high?  Durr...?
If only we could include ducking to avoid projectiles in this game...

Also, I am expecting her to be a LOT more close-ranged than Quote and Liero.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »

Maybe you could replace the rockets with spread rockets, because the velocither already attacks strait forward.
If it shoots in a spread, it's a bit redundant with the shotgun.
It would shoot in a spread.
I was assuming the shotgun would have limited range, like in the original game.
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

My attempt. Not so great  Durr...?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »

I like it! But it's pretty small right now. Liero's currently bigger than Iji, and that just seems wrong somehow.

I figure Iji should be around the height of Golden Knight, but thinner. Right now she just looks... minuscule.
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »

Hmm... I tried to scale her to Nikujin, but I guess it didn't turn out so well. But yeah, bigger would be better. I'll try to work on that tomorrow.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:17 PM »

It looks pretty good, but from the game and the icon I'd say that her hair should be a bit longer and it should look more like straight hair.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »

Actually, the scale is almost perfect. Compare it side by side to the other sprites, and you'll see. The gun should probably look a bit more impressive, though, and her hair is probably a bit too tall. The outlines should also be a more consistent 2 pixels wide (except for her feet and interior outlines).

Overall, though, it looks pretty good, and with just a few touch-ups, Iji will be fighting fit!

PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »

Actually, after I deflate her giant hair (D:), she probably will need scaling. Also, what does her gun look like? Is it rectangular, or more like in the mugshot? I wasn't sure.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »

The gun looks pretty much just like it was drawn only a little larger.

EDIT: I couldn't resist...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:38:04 PM by Soulliard » Logged

PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »

Looks good, but it needs a highlight on the gun, at least on the barrel. My new version:

The face wasn't edited, but then again, it's late here. Tired
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 05:58:30 AM »

Yay! Here's my edit of Iji:

I liked the original haircut, but it made her look too boyish. I think in Soulliards version of the hair, her feminity is presented better.

I'm not so sure about the eyes though. The black blocks might be the current style rule, but on her it looks like black holes, which irritates me a bit. I'm quite font of Plasma Man's version, so I stuck to it.

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:15 AM »

I think her torso made her look boyish, too. It's too broad and angular. That's another thing I changed in my edit.

As for the eyes, I think they're necessary for Iji to fit in with the rest of the sprites.

And I'd recommend keeping the highlighted pockets on her pants. They were a recognizable feature in the original game.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »

Alright, another quick edit then. Smiley

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 08:42:46 AM »

Yep, that one looks like a good compromise.

If you add another bar alongside Iji's health to act like the cooldown bar in the original, but for all the weapons, the spamming problem would be solved. For example, the velocithor (if it gets in) requires the bar to be full to be fired and continuously drains it, the shotgun can be fired any time and removes a certain chunk of the bar, etc. 
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »

Attacking times already take care of the problem. No need to overcomplicate things with a new mechanic.

EDIT: Compromise...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:17:28 AM by Soulliard » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic