Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:57:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1950270 times)
xaritscin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10200 on: April 27, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »

hello, im "Xaritscin". i've been around on webforums since 2008 i think. im currently finishing a career in multimedial engineering but i was mostly interested in game development, for which i have only made a few prototypes in my free time (im not really good at programming). most of my projects are actually in paper as documents and concept art (im more atuned to writing and sketching).

just joined this forum to see if i could find relevant resources for making at least one of my projects. nice to meet you.
Blacklight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »

Hello, I am Blacklight! (aka Perygryn in some places)
I'm a hobbyist developer from Australia. I've been using mucking about Unity for a few years and I've studied Game Art and Animation at the Academy of Interactive Entertainment. All in all I've become somewhat of a generalist, doing a lot of both programming and art.

If you've been active on the Unity Forums for a few years or /r/unity3d recently you may have seen some of my work. I've made a lot of unfinished prototypes but never really completed a project. Recently, I've resolved to fix that.
Silverspook
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10202 on: April 27, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »

Hi there, I'm a game developer, teacher and social worker from Hawaii.  I've been making games for about two decades on and off, starting with Half Life 1 and Unreal Tournament mods in the 90's and noughties.  I've just recently launched my first official game company, Silver Spook Games.

I've just released a dystopic cyberpunk adventure game in the style of LucasArts / Sierra point-and-clicks called Neofeud, and am currently looking at future projects, including potentially a sequel.

I did essentially everything on Neofeud (writing, art, programming, music, etc.), with the exception of voice acting, although I did voice the main character.

Anyway, good to meet you all!

NielsBross
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: April 28, 2017, 05:38:00 AM »

Hi!

I am a programmer/computer scientist by trade, but have been working on games in a hobby-sense the past 2 or 3 years.
I haven't released anything of note yet except some jam games I was pretty proud of, but have worked on Deadliners, which is now on Greenlight Smiley

Hope to be a bigger part of the community!

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »

Hi all! I've been around for a couple of days, but I'm still very much new to the community. I am interested in game development but most likely will not make it into a career. My genre of choice is the puzzle-platformer.

Here are a few games which I consider to be absolute perfection:

-FEZ
-Rain World
-Super Metroid
-Undertale
-Portal 2

I intend to begin work on a puzzle-platformer with emphasis on exploration soon, but in the meantime I've begun development on a couple of minor mods and a major expansion for Rain World.

I also do music, so message me if you're looking for someone to compose a soundtrack! Most examples aren't online, but I do have this: https://soundcloud.com/mikronautproject/cs-barren
Bálint
Level 0

@hellobalint

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10205 on: April 28, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »

Hello! My name is Bálint, and I'm a designer from Hungary.

I love techno, coffee, making techno, making coffee…uh…

I like to create in general, whether it's painting, design, illustration, music, cooking, or programming. I dabble in web development and I've recently picked up gamedev as a hobby. I keep a mile long note of ideas for stuff to create that I will never get through.

Way Beyond
| @hellobalint | Discord Balint#3631
Ungrateful Dead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: April 28, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »

Hello everyone, my name's Ungrateful Dead. Not legally of course. That would be weird and I'd have to have a very long chat with my parents about their priorities in life.

I'm primarily an artist and have dabbled in pixel art, raster art, vector art, and all of that good stuff. I also dabble in music and make ambient/synthpop. I can sort of program, which is to say, I'm very good at working a roll of duct tape and hoping everything doesn't catch on fire. I'm receiving my degree in Graphic Design in Interactive Media very soon.

Making a list of games that inspired me would be tough because there are a lot of games I hold in very high esteem for very different reasons, but I will say that nothing gets me pumped up like good writing in a video game. Fallout New Vegas, Zero Escape, Persona and Drakengard/Nier are a few of my favorite games/series. As you can imagine, this year has been a very good year for games for me as a result.

It's a pleasure to join the community, and hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys who have posted in this thread around.

Portfolio: njfarren.com
Twitter: @ungratfuldead
u7-committee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10207 on: April 29, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »

Hi everyone!

My name is Nick, and I'm a member U7 committee - a bunch of people who came together from all over the world to make games in the universe we created. We used to work on game and video projects for other companies or for someone else, but it's time we did something of our own.

Our chairman is an abusive penguin with a 60% implant rate (that's him on the right):

He's smiling, but in truth he's always angry.

We came a long way from drawing maps on paper...

(I was going for final frontier look... I'm so sorry.)

...to lots and lots of artwork...

...and to finally working on our first game together.

There are many games which scarred us for life, and most of them come from Japan.

The game I mentioned, called Minotaur, is greatly influenced by Zero Escape and Danganronpa (hi there, Ungrateful Dead from upstairs!) and LucasArts classics.

Thanks for reading! We'll see you around Blink

Cheers!

Phevnil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: April 30, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »

Hey everyone!

Just submitted the last project of my Hon. B.Sc. Physics-Mathematics degree the other day. Not planning to go on to a masters like 90% of my class mates, but I plan to angle for a programming-realm career.

Have a bit over two years of web app dev experience from full-time/part-time contracts during my undergrad, but I don't want to live on the front end forever. Thinking of taking some time to step in to some other hobby projects over the summer, maybe some game stuff!
ricekeks
Level 0

Supporter of a totalitarian penguin party

View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: May 01, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »

Hi everyone,

you can call me ricekeks or simply rice, whatever you're more comfortable with.
I'm from Germany and in my spare time I'm learning game development in Unity.
As for now I have not released a single game yet, but already worked on dozens different concepts of mine during my learning process.
I would like to tell more, but right now there isn't any more to say then I'm still learning day to day and I'm super excited when I do so. I hope I can show you some more stuff later this year..

Best regards from Germany

Twitter @ricekeks
Youtube c/RiceKeks
Twitch ricekeks
Fiz
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: May 02, 2017, 07:08:41 AM »

Hi everybody!  Gentleman

I'm Fiz aka Federico, computer engineer from Italy! I play videogames since I was a kid (and that means '80s-'90s) and I love to dream about new games and possibilities. I like to define myself a game designer more than a programmer and that, I suppose, is why I worked for 10 years in the IT field as a programmer and never felt satisfied.  Facepalm

During those really sad years I couldn't stop myself from making game projects and basic prototypes instead of, you know, actually doing my job, so one day I realized that maybe all that IT thing was not for me. Long story short, I made my decision in a drunky night and a few weeks later I quit my job, studied Unity and game dev basics for a few months and BAM! Yeah baby, ready to kick off my first real game! And that was a year ago...

Obviously I didn't know what I was doing at that time, we (that means me, my old time friend Tanek and a girl that helps us with graphics - together we are Abyte Entertainment! *Power Rangers background music*) worked like crazy for months and never saw the end of it. Now we still do not see the end of it but at least we managed to get something up & running! You want to know what it is? Well, not now  Cheesy I read the rules in here and I know I'll die if I tell you what I'm working on in my first post. I suppose nobody gets hurt if I just tell you it's a mobile game and it is greatly inspired by "Papers, Please" by the mighty Lucas Pope. Lucas, can you here me? We love you, you're a f*****g genius.

That's all for now! I hope... no, I KNOW I'll enjoy myself in here, I really hope we all get along!  Smiley My Word!
DrVex
Level 0

My avatar has one heck of a reverse image search.

View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: May 02, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »

Hey all!
I've been trying to integrate into a few communities to...socialize more? I guess that's the best way to describe it. This was highly recommended. This and one other forum (unless you include the something awful forums, but that's more of a catch all on subject matter), along with rpgmaker.net.

Now, for the longest time, I always thought rpgmaker games were always lame after the several I had bought and played on steam. A few years down the road, I have tinkered in Unreal Engine, Unity, and of course Source.  I decided to toy with an older RPG maker and found that there were a lot of tools to do a lot more than what I had played in any of the games I have tried.

So I had the thought; there are a few really good RPGmaker made games.
Maybe it's far fetched, but I've been working with that engine on one sole premise; my team is small. I know a lot of people have made games single handedly, but I feel they've had a lot more experience in the technical side of things.  While I understand basic to low-intermediate programming concepts, I found it harder to break into the 3-d engines due to the fact that a lot more work has to go into it, in either art assets and programming.

So, I'm starting here, to talk, to learn, to help, and in general, maybe be less of a solo life person and learn to socialize, albeit through magic tubes of light.

See you all out there in the fray.   Beer!

Probably.
FrostByte
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:04 AM »

Hey all!

I am an embedded software engineer by trade and have always loved programming. I have been working on learning/developing low level game engine components for the past couple of years. The technical engineering side of game development has always been a passion for me. I like to know how all the amazing features of a game are created, from graphics to AI to game systems interaction. For that reason, I have spent more time programming game engine features than actually working on any game.

I feel I have enough experience now to know what makes a game engine tick (pun intended) so I am starting to learn Unreal Engine with the goal of making some plugins/engine extensions to support 2D development in Unreal.

Everyone here seems nice and friendly so I thought I'd jump in and interact with the people here. Being part of a community will help me direct my development efforts and keep me motivated!

As for my gaming history... I have always been in love with new graphics technology. I am terrible for picking up a game, playing for a few days then putting it back down after I understand all of the mechanics and have seen what the game had to offer visually. The games I have spent a lot of time in though are any of the elder scrolls games and the zelda games. They all have a wonderful blend of visuals and gameplay which is strong enough to hold my attention to play through them fully.

That's a quick intro to me.
I'm looking forward to hanging around these forums!

Cheers,
FrostByte
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10213 on: May 03, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »

Hi everyone!

I’m Ross Przybylski, the founder of D20Studios and the creator of the YouTube channel “Game Dev Chats”. I discovered TIGSource through a colleague of mine, Nicholas Lives, who recently launched “We Need to Go Deeper” and highly recommended this community as a place to connect with other developers.

My journey into indie development began in 2006 designing a tabletop board game called “Hero Mages”. A friend of mine challenged me to program it into a digital game, and in 2009 I launched it as a browser based strategy game, and again in 2011 as a cross-platform mobile game on Android and iOS. From there, my travels took me to Salt Lake City, where I worked at Electronic Arts for almost four years as an engineer manager and producer.

I’m proud to say I’m back as full-time indie developer and have built a small team that’s helping me create an exciting top-down RPG/strategy adventure called Summoners Fate. What I enjoy most about being an indie is the community. In the AAA industry, competition can be ruthless, but in the indie world, folks have a genuine desire to see one another succeed. In my own experience, I’ve found that my greatest success is the impact I’ve had supporting others with their projects. On my YouTube channel, Game Dev Chats, I share industry insights like how to start a game company, how to build production pipelines, and how to program artificial intelligence for games.

I look forward to being a part of your community. Hit me up if there’s something I can help you with!

Game Dev Chats https://gamedevchats.com
Summoners Fate https://summonersfate.com

~Ross

Developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
TIGForum DevLog
Senseinsn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: May 04, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm an indie developer in Infvernal Studio making videogames since 2014
I focus on virtual reality video games (gear vr, cardboard..) for android devices but in the near future I will also launch pc games Smiley
You can see some of my works on my youtube channel and follow me on twitter and facebook for more news.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd36oG10aNgWS4JtWUJO6Kw/videos
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Senseinsn
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InfvernalGamesStudio/
joqlepecheur
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10215 on: May 04, 2017, 12:49:47 PM »

Hi there,

I'm Clement, aka joqlepecheur.
I am currently a test engineer in finance sector in Paris.

I play a lot, and since 3 years have been developing a lot, with 2 major projects and some minor ones.
My prefered genres are survival, platformers, and I have been very interested in indie scene for the last 10 years.

Right now I am working solo but after current projects I think I will try to find partners. Who knows, maybe I will go out some day and go to a gamejam outside my home.

If you want me to test your game, just let me know. Let me warn you, I can be as critical as my first game is ugly Wink

Nice to meet you all Smiley

Kind regards,

joqlepecheur
Agreeing Machine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: May 04, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »

Hey TIGForums!

Agreeing Machine AKA Tim, here as a hobbyist with a day job, hoping to learn, be inspired, as well as soon start logging my own personal projects. I am a cinema graduate with experience producing short films in Maya, though I've long been out of practice (expensive yo). Definitely a terrible generalist with fingers in digital art and illustration, traditional animation, 3D modeling and sculpting, and programming as one of the weakest parts of my skillset. I'm a bit of an outsider to development, but I've always harbored the ambition! What experience I have had in design I remember as profoundly fulfilling.

Growing up I was a devoted Nintendo kid, beginning with the SNES, and broken only by the PS3. Truthfully I should count PC games too, which have always been a part of my life. Animal Crossing and Pikmin remain insurmountable classics to me, while on the PC I look back on titles like The Sims, or Black & White, for giving me my God Complex fix. It's hard to remember the last time I really saw a game through to the end- it may have been Fallout: New Vegas.

I want to finally build something that excites me. I want to learn the all the theory there is. I want to do it myself, because I'm a massive control freak.

Hope to stick around!
megainformatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10217 on: May 05, 2017, 02:30:53 AM »

Hello ! My name is Andrey. I'm intresting games from 1992 year, when I have first computer - Electronica BK-0010.01
From these times i intrested games and want to make my own game. Years. I gained experience.
Upgrade my computer - after BK was a IBM PC 286 - in 1997. Than 486SX in 1998, Pentium 100 in 1999,
Celeron 1000 in 2002, Celeron 2667 in 2004 and so on.

I studied all aspects of creating games. Graphics. Musics and Sounds. Scripting. Programming.
I wanted to do everything myself.

So gradually I learned to draw 2D and modeling 3D. Create sounds and music, invent and document ideas and of course programming.

I greet everyone, and you Derek !

Thank you for you attention.

I do not write here about the games I played or that I liked.
This is all well-known and popular games.

And yet it was much more interesting to me not to play, but to create, and then to play already created.

Maybe that's why I'm still interested in this topic.

Probably do not call yourself another indie developer.

I'm an ordinary person, the same as many.

Why did I come here?

To talk about my project. It has been going on for many years.

He underwent all sorts of metamorphosis and his development then stopped, then continued again.

I decided to call him fle game engine.

By the name of the game, the first major project that has become part of this engine.

Well, meet - Balls and Holes Green Ball Holidays maked on fle game engine.

ZebraInFlames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: May 06, 2017, 01:25:53 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm ZebraInFlames, and I've been a hobbyist game programmer for quite a while now, starting back in college in a programming course focused on C++. There we built with a team a blatant Super Mario knock-off, and I loved the project.

After a few years of hiatus from game programming, I got back into it after graduating and moving to working life, mostly doing small arcade projects in Unity, in addition to graphics and shader programming. I decided to join this forum as I participated in the Ludum Dare 38, and really loved the community that's ongoing around it and other indie and hobby game designers. I hope I'll get to discuss game design, game programming and current games with enthusiastic people here  Smiley

In my working life I work as a team lead in an IT company, in quite a devopsy role. As other hobbies in addition to games, I'm very much into astronomy and embedded systems (in college, most of my programming was actually low-level interaction with HW, usually done in C) Smiley
Skarnor
Level 0

Laughing all the way...

View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: May 07, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »

Hello everyone, my name is Jesse aka Skarnor and a couple other names.

Whew. Where to start.

Probably by showing my age.

I got in to computers fairly young. When my family bought our first personal computer I was quite excited. A friend of mine had owned one for about a year and so I was very interested in the things he could do and wanted to match that. I ended up learning quite a lot and experimenting quite a lot.

That PC was a C-64. My buddies computer was a TI99a. I started off by buying a book that had a bunch of games written in basic that you type in and save to floppy, and play them. I think it was the second game I was typing in I started to experiment. What if I change this. What happens here? I learned pretty quickly. I started to make my own games from scratch shortly after that and spent a lot of times making new games to completion. About a year later I managed to get my hands on a book that explained assembly language and machine coding. I had already become very familiar with addresses and peeked and poked my heart out, trying to find exactly what I could and could not do.

My first machine code project was to take a game I wrote and make it in machine language. The game was a multiplayer game where  one person was a diver armed with traps, and the other player was a faster large shark. I had the shark moving 2 pixels a cycle and the diver 1. I didn't like how chunky the movement was on the shark and I heard that writing in machine code was faster.

So I planned it all out, writing my architecture in a notebook. Keep in mind that I was poking numbers directly in to memory, so I had to know exactly how many addresses to jmp etc. I made it so that the shark would move 1 pixel an update, and the diver every other update. That way I can judge if it is that much faster and adjust, right? I got done writing out my code, converting it to numbers and wrote the basic program to poke in the game, debugged a little bit and ran it.

I was quite happy with the shark and diver on screen. I picked up my joystick for the shark and pushed left. As you may have guessed, the shark zipped across the screen, looping across the x coordinate so fast that the blur looked like 6 sharks on the screen at once.

Instant mind blown. Completely blown. Concepts, ideas, all sorts of things raced across my mind.

I immediately and literally dropped the joystick to the ground, jumped to my feet and screamed at the top of my lungs "I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!".

I had just turned 11 years old just before this event, and I was sure I could conquer the world. As I grew up I got a couple hand held computers and I still remember planning and writing a full game on one of those in it's 1k memory (my upgrade had 16!). I moved from the C-64 to the Amiga. I couldn't churn out games as fast on that, but I still made a decent number. There was no internet, and gaming was far from mainstream, but I had fun with my hobby. I started to program professionally in the late 90s, but the industry and hours and other factors caused me to burn out.

My profession changed to developer support and other support including IT work. I would still program here and there as a hobby but small projects.

Fast forward to 2016. My company I worked for had a very small budget but needed a couple educational games made. They looked at the cost of outsourcing the work. I told them to hold off and a couple hours later I had a working concept for them that they liked. (Really simple game). It was about this time I was contemplating making another game, this time for release to the wild. Making 4 small games for work convinced me it was the right choice, so I started down that path again.

That is my journey back in to the programming chair.

I have been playing games for around 35 years now. I like all kinds. The ones that do it for me the most are heavy teamwork multiplayer games. Competitive or co-op. I like using my brain in a game and making meaningful decisions that reward me later. Also as you can guess I am no longer the fast twitch gamer of 30 years ago. As such I tend towards games that don't require extreme twitch skills, but I still enjoy ones that require, or reward, very fast thinking on the fly and reacting to things intellectually.

Probably my all time favorite game is one that is surprising to me. Dungeon of the Endless. I think the game is balanced so fantastically and really punishes you for poor choices. After playing it enough I can see that there is a balance in their shuffle bags that allows you to realize if you can squeeze through a rough stretch you will be rewarded with an easier stretch to recover. It really is a blast for me.

I have been lucky enough to lead a very interesting diverse life in between the programming and even during. I hope that the interesting sticks around and I can rub it in to any projects I am a part of, so others can experience it. Nice to meet you all, and I apologize if this was excessively long.
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic