Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:20:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1907163 times)
EatThePath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: September 19, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »

Let us know what you're all about... how did you get introduced to gaming?  What are your passions?  What makes you tick? Let's go!

I can't remember how I got into video games, some of my earliest memories are messing with demo disks or playing games I wish I could remember enough details of to find again on a laptop that in retrospect I'm surprised we could afford in the back of the car on trips. That was in the 90s. I didn't have any consoles or handhelds until my late teens, in the mid 00s, so to me games are on computers and a lot of the touchstone franchises are still a bit alien. Zelda, Metal Gear, and plenty of others just don't have much hold on me.

But on the other hand it's hard for me to think of a genre that doesn't have at least a few games I love in it. Sports games maybe, but only if you restrict that to only mean games that try to perfectly mimic real sports. But strategy games probably have my attention most of all. Here's the short list of games that are important to me, because the long list would take too long.

Homeworld, the full 3D space RTS from 1999, is probably the most important game in my life. My main interests and most important friendships can be traced back to my time with it, and working on modding it is where I finally found cause to teach myself to model and code. From there I eventually realized that I really could make games, and started making games.

In the indie scene I deeply, deeply admire Dan Remar's Iji, a 2D platformer that is all around fantastic. Seriously, check it out, it's free and amazing if you can let yourself get used to the somewhat simplified visuals and the gamemaker engine fingerprints. Amazing music, great effects, the most effective hit/death voice acting I'd run into until Hellblade, a great selection of weapons, really rewarding difficulty options, and a story that branches just enough to make you feel like you have effective agency over who the protagonist is without calling for branching levels or feeling hamhanded in keeping things on the rails... I could go on, but on to...

Path of Exile feels too big for to be that indie now, it still is and I've sun absurd amounts of time into it. I can't think of much more to say about it here besides that I play too much of it and it's quite good.

Crusader Kings 2 is how I realized that people will still gobble up amazingly baroque simulation based games if you have the right hook, and that going after a niche isn't a death sentence.

And leaving indies behind entirely, I also love SSX3, the arcadey snowboarding console game from EA, quite a lot. It's sort of the odd one out next to the rest of this list, but if you asked me to name my favorite game it'd be in the multi-way time for the top spot. Probably started me on some musical tastes that are still with me.

I like the idea of games built on simulations, or heavy verisimilitude. That's not all I want to build, but a lot of my focus goes there. I mostly make games to create something that I want to experience that nobody else is going to create, rather than to make something marketable, and that's the niche that seems least filled. Glitzy action or arcadey games can be great fun to make and play, but there's a lot more people making them than there are people asking "How can I make a game out of plate tectonics?", so I tend to lean towards the open space there.

So that's my gaming background in a nutshell.

Making Atomic Space Race:
 Devlog thread | Project site | Youtube page
cstg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10421 on: September 20, 2017, 07:49:04 AM »

Hey there,

I've been a software engineer for a long time and a gamer for a lot longer. I went through a lot of phases, starting with a handheld brick game, then a knock-off NES, and then finally in 99, a PC. The games that I remember most fondly are: Dune 2, Quake 2 and Quake, Half-Life, Caesar 3, C&C Tiberian Sun, Thief, Outcast, World of Warcraft. There's probably a lot more great ones that I'm forgetting.

Whenever I loved a game, I wanted to write one just like it, but better. When I found  Quake 2 I wanted to write an FPS. I didn't have 3d acceleration back then but I loved the pixelated 320x200/320x240 graphics. Then I stumbled upon Thief, and I wanted to make a stealth game. A few years ago I discovered roguelikes and since then I've been trying to make a roguelike, something similar to Brogue. It seemed like a good bet since it doesn't need fancy graphics. I have a prototype of a moving @ in a procedurally generated world on Android. Until a couple of months ago, that was the closest I got to making a game of my own. Back then I didn't have the skills nor the discipline to follow through. Also the Internet wasn't what it is today. There weren't so many resources for aspiring developers.  Still, I think it was mostly a discipline issue, since I had a lot more free time back then. But hey, had I  worked on my own games, I would have missed out on some of the ones I mentioned above :D

It wasn't until I started playing a casual game on Android that I was motivated enough to follow through with releasing something of my own. There's this game that used to have a very annoying pop-up whenever I made a combo or something (it's been updated recently). I was so annoyed by it that I had to do something about it. And something I did, and it's now released, and I'm already working on my next project, a spin on the olde snake game. Unoriginal, but it's doable in a finite amount of time, and the next step in my learning to ship completed projects. I've never been an artist, so I'm mostly looking into games with simple graphics, open source assets or procedurally generated content.

So I have about 20 years of trying (not really trying, more like day-dreaming but never doing anything about it) to make games and one small mobile game to show for it. But I did it, and now, working on the second one doesn't seem that hard.

The hardest part right now is making the time to work on it. Between family and work, it's really tough, but I love it. The second hardest is marketing, but that's also something I can learn to do well, I hope  Concerned

Long-term, I plan on making a single player, WoW-like RPG with Ascii graphics.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10422 on: September 20, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »

Hello again!

I signed up here in 2008 and made a few Flash/Actionscript games for competitions, but I've been away from these forums for many years. This year I've been getting back into programming thanks to App Game Kit, so now that I've produced my first AGK game and suddenly feeling like I'm a friggin' big-shot indie game dev and all, Cool I'm back here again for inspiration, motivation, and the general game dev fun atmosphere that I remember. AGK as a tool for making games is a breath of fresh air after Flash, and it takes me back to the QBASIC programming of my misspent youth... Back then I used to make stuff as "AK Software" (AK being my initials), which I can't anymore because a real software company with that name has since come into existence! However, to reconnect with my programming roots I've updated "AK software" to "Absolute Kobold interactive". Sounds very convincing amirite?

Primarily I'm an animator and secondarily a musician, so I prefer to make all my own graphics and audio when I can, and they're a big focus for me - often bigger than things like genre and game mechanics. Presenting my artwork through the medium of video games (not to imply video games aren't works of art themselves) is what motivates me to keep pushing my artistically-shaped brain right on through that math/programming-shaped hole. (Also being an animator makes me a bit of a masochist I guess.)

But I don't think I've ever considered making a game without one of its purposes being to make somebody chuckle. All of the games that I enjoy (and some that I don't) seem to have some kind of joke or at least rib-elbowing wink at their heart.  Giggle

-AK (Toomuchsparetime)
TheArcadeStriker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: September 22, 2017, 05:37:55 AM »

Hello everyone! My name's Cesaniel, but I prefer being referred to as TheArcadeStriker (here anyways Tongue) and I also have used many nicknames before (more on that later). I'm a 15 year old student in my last year on high-school, and I have at least 4 game ideas I have been thinking about that I wanted to share here! (after this intro, of course)

I have grown up having a Famiclone, a Nintendo 64, a PSX, a Gamecube and a GBASP (with my 2 brothers also having GBASPs and GBCs), eventually losing the Famiclone and PSX (no idea what happened with them), my original N64 getting broken but soon after receiving a Pikachu Special Edition N64 (the one with Hey You Pikachu, funnily it was that one because it was the only new N64 remaining when looking for new N64s) and gaining a NDS (currently not working), a NDSL, a Wii (not working atm either sadly) a PSP, a DSi (which I also lost) and a O3DS. Probably a bunch of games that were influential in me were Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Top Gear Overdrive, Tetrisphere, Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (from one of my brothers), Super Mario Advance 2, Sonic Advance, Smash Bros Melee, and a other bunch of games.

I remember having a fascination for SEGA arcade and PC games, like Virtua Fighter, Daytona, etc, and I also liked (and still like) to play Sonic games a lot (despite that I never owned a SEGA console), and probably my fascination with retro games and the fact that I had to play in a not really strong PC (and currently, a not really buff laptop) has made me grow up with being good with old games and dismissing most of the recent games (not all of them though, because some are just because I can't run them, like Sonic Generations  Sad ).

I have played and like a lot of games, and I could say that I have a diverse amount of types of games I like (action, shooters, racing, fighting, etc.), though I don't like Horror games a lot ( Shrug ). Probably of many people I know (in real life), I happen to be one of the only ones that enjoy most puzzle games (Tetris, Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack, PuyoPuyo, etcetc).

About the nicknames I have adopted before, I have been known as ZeroZankuro (Tetris Friends), Maxivideo87 (a rather old YT channel I made when I was rather young), PhoenixBlast64/BusterFang (former YT channel before/after rename), KingOfHedgehog (in Roblox), DaytonaFan (in the Supermodel emulator forums) and TheRobloxianHedgehog (my current channel when it begun, before it changed focus from Roblox to anything else). Even then I'm not sure if those are all the nicknames I had before Smiley

Now about where I came from to get here, I was looking for a place to get feedback of my game ideas, and from a Quora page I got to reddit r/gamedev, and from it's discord I got told to go here if I wanted game feedback.

I have at least 4 game ideas, and they are mostly in different levels of realized concept (one is getting documents and concept sketchs, another is a fighting game with 2 chars having a moveset already, another is based in a already existing game, and the last one does have a prototype), but I'm going to be saving that for the next times I get seen around here, but at the moment...see ya later!  Grin
Mad Scientist
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: September 22, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »

Hi! I'm a Technical Director and a new Indie NSFW developer. Is cool to be here!
ThreeGuysYesh
Level 0

Programmer, Three Guys Game Studio

View Profile
« Reply #10425 on: September 25, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »

Hey, I'm the programmer for Three Guys Game Studio.  The 'studio' consists of myself, my brother (artist) and our buddy (musician).  We're all self-taught in our respective fields (which generally means we fly by the seat of our pants and make mistakes often), have full-time jobs, and love video games enough to spend a significant amount of our time making and/or playing them.

Loot Run is our current project and it's been in the works for a few years now.  It started as a fairly small idea but turned into something bigger.  The concept behind it was to make a great RPG for Android and iOS, something we would actually play.  It seems that the RPG market hasn't been tapped very well for whatever reason on those platforms - I for one am always looking for a good RPG to play on my phone, but always find games that have huge turnoffs (such as those silly on-screen joysticks, no engaging story, infinite item upgrade grinding substituting as actual game play, pay to win, etc...)

So, we made a game to fill a hole.  Hopefully!  Now that we're close to finishing, though, we're going to Beta first on the web (Kongregate) and probably also release on Steam because we think / hope it's good enough for that.  At the moment it plays (controls) a bit better on the phone, but we'll add controller support which I think will help with that considerably.

I'll post the Beta thread in a couple days!  Have a few more things to do before publishing on Kongregate...
ManuGunstar
Level 0

PR Manager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10426 on: September 26, 2017, 02:42:49 AM »

Hi! My name is Manu Delgado and I work as PR Manager on Gunstar Studio, an indie team based in Seville (Spain). We're working on Phobos Vector Prime, that is a third person space shooter singleplayer + MOBA. I think that I can like every game except the horror ones. I can't play any. I also like pasta, rock and cats.

Candescence
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: September 26, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »

G'day, folks! I'm from Sydney, Australia, and the head of Candescent Blade Games, which is, well, not much of a studio since it's basically me and maybe a couple of other guys who don't have the time to contribute regularly, but oh well.

I'm a designer and narrative writer, mainly, though I am basically an amateur programmer as well. I'm currently prototyping my major game project, Trapped With Us, and also basically failing miserably at finding team members who don't just drop out or drop off the face of the earth, haha. But I'm trucking on regardless.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:24:56 AM by Candescence » Logged
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: September 26, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »

Ello Candescence, good to see you again here lol :V

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Candescence
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: September 26, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »

Unfortunately, either I don't remember you or you're using a handle I'm not familiar with, lel, so I can't say the same right now Shrug

But, still, hi!

Edit: Oh, right, it's you, now I know. I suspected but wasn't quite sure xD
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:03:49 AM by Candescence » Logged
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »

Toast Right
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:05:35 AM by Oekaki-Sama » Logged

Devlog<br /><br />[/
SLotman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10431 on: September 28, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »

Okay, not much of a talker, but here it goes...

I've already registered here a few years back (around 2005), but apparently my login was deleted (probably due to inactivity...)

I'm a lone developer from Brazil, making games since I can remember. Started back in the 80s doing some crappy things in BASIC on a computer called MSX. Only many years later on I would release my first games, a pc remake of "Attack of the Timelord" (a game from Odyssey2) entitled "Revenge of the Timelord", and a second one, called "Frosted" (an Atari's frostbite remake).

Time passes by and around 2005 I released my first commercial game, called "Virtual Marbles", published by Oberon Media and Contendo Media (on CD!); Made some other not-so-successful games, and after that, in 2011-2012 made "Mahjong Max", published by Oberon Media, iWin, GameHouse and other casual portals.

Moved on to mobile grounds, where I published games like "Escape from Alcatraz" (selected on indie Prize Awards USA-2014) and later "Mister President" (elected 4th best mobile game of 2016 on SlideDB).

I guess thats it. And I do have a new mobile game I just published, but details on that are for later Smiley

Icon Games - You just have to touch it!
lowebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10432 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

Hello, my name is Trevor and I am a pixel artist/game designer who left the AAA industry to start making indie games! I was employed by Zynga straight out of school and learned a TON about game development but wasn't super happy with their "fast-follow" process.  So here I am, 3+ years later working on the indie crossover of my dreams!  Gomez

I'm a self taught pixel artist and absolutely love waking up knowing I can keep improving upon my games. It hasn't been an easy road to go indie, due to lack of financial stability. It's been a tricky road working on other creators' IP, but it's been beyond fulfilling to hear how respectful they feel we've been with their properties! I'm hoping to become part of the TIGSource in an effort to get closer to the indie community that has been so supportive of our adventures!

Favorite games include: Super Mario RPG, Skies of Arcadia, ExciteTruck, LoZ: Majora's Mask, & Donkey Kong Country 2!
tetract
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: September 30, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »

Hello everyone, i like to make simple games for fun, i mostly write code in c or c++, and i mostly use sdl. Just recently in tigsource's discord though, i had a very interesting discussion about software complexity and immediate gui.
The_J_C
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10434 on: October 01, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner solo developer from Hungary, who is working on his second game at the moment. I'm not a professional by any means, I have just started developing games in 2015. But I enjoy it quite a lot and want to become better at it, learning as much as possible. This also means that I have to improve my art, sound and programmer skills, but I'm working on it. Smiley
GivetBoyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: October 01, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »

HI it is very nice to get to know you. Like you I did grow up with Zelda and Mario Titles. The first 3 games I played was Ocarina of Time, Windwaker, and SuperMario Sunshine. I was too inexperienced at the time but over the years I saw myself conquering the game of DarkSouls 3. One of my favorite game franchises was the MidnoghtClub Street Racing Franchise. Midnight Club 3 was my first racing game and I loved it.

I am even playing those games today betting Midnight Club 1, 3, and almost finishing up the 4th installment.
So I have been coming up with a game inspired off of Midnight Club and the anime known as initial D which is my fave anime so far. This is the Title.

My real name is Skyler... I am a blonde Caucasian Male and I have worked on games,stories,music, and art for over 3 years.

The main dev of TDV( The Diamond Voyagers)
NoahDJ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10436 on: October 01, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »

Hey everyone,

My name's Noah and I've been lurking on this board for around 10 years now.  Back in 2001 I started a small indie game studio called Complex Games in my hometown of Winnipeg with a few friends.  At the time there weren't any platforms that you could really sell a game independently, the web was pretty new, the whole Flash & Online games craze hadn't started yet and PC was suffering with the growing dominance of consoles.  The whole idea of starting an indie game studio back then seemed way more impossible to succeed than it does now, and that's even taking into account the discoverability problem/Indieocalypse, etc..

Pretty soon after we started Complex I was contacted by another local Winnipeg indie game developer named Alec Holowka.  Alec joined up with us for about a year to work on this crazy multiplayer hand-to-hand melee combat game we had come up with, but it was far too big and ambitious for our totally inexperienced crew to finish on our own, so eventually we had to figure out what we were going to do to survive.  Alec moved on to do some pretty awesome things a lot of you are already pretty familiar with, and the rest of us at Complex ended up slowly building it into a business, working on games for other studios, and then eventually large publishers and brands.

We did that for close to 15 years (I'm old!), but man that's waaaay too long to be on a sidequest, the XP and Loot just isn't worth the piece of mind, so we're officially back on the main thread: Just focusing on our own projects and going back to our independent studio roots.

Like a lot of you here I grew up with videogames, going from friends house to friends house playing all sorts of early systems: Vectrex, Colecovision, Atari(s), Trash-80, C64, Apple II, Mac, PC-XTs, etc...  There were so many weird and wonderful worlds to get lost in!

I'm passionate about how videogames can express ideas and meaning through storytelling, whether via mechanics & play experience, the game world and/or its characters, text and dialogue.  I hope to eventually release a game out that is as meaningful to its players as some of them have been to me over the years.

Chris K
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: October 02, 2017, 03:01:56 AM »

Hi, I'm Chris and I love video games from a wide variety of genres. I'm currently playing League, Guild Wars and Yakuza 0.
In my free time I also love developing games with friends. Nice to meet ya all  Smiley
ZGrab
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »

I'll give this a shot, though I wonder how many people will actually read it.

I'm Zoran, and I've been playing games since I can remember. I'm not a programmer, far from it, but I've had an interest in developing games for a long time.

My goal here is to learn and see what others are doing, and give feedback wherever I can to help out. Eventually, I want to develop a small concept game using tools that are made for people like me who have no programming background and hopefully build it out from there.

Look forward to talking to you all!
CactusGameStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10439 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »

Hi there y'all. I am Caio, CEO, Co-Founder and Programmer at a small (4 members currently) Indie Game Studio from Brazil called Cactus Game Studios.
I got into games really early, I mean it. I learned how to spell my name because there were those old games in my dad's computer that when you died you could enter your name in the scoreboard. After that it was a roller coaster of games, from SNES to N64, to PS, etc.
When I was 13 I decided to do a B.S. in Computer Science because I also loved computers and during the course I got into Game Dev.
Some time before graduation we managed to get together to create Cactus and as soon as we graduated we started developing games almost full time.
Annnnnd here we are.

We are a small Indie Game Studio with four members working full time from Brazil.
https://cactusgamestudios.com
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic