Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:32:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1908139 times)
Qwerku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10980 on: May 14, 2019, 05:28:08 AM »

Hello World!

My name is JC (at least that's what my friends call me), but online I go by Qwerku (my friends call me Qwerk, and since you're all my kind of people, you can call me Qwerk)

Gosh where to begin...

I fell in love with computers when I was 2, and I've been programming and playing computer games since I was 6. Many of my first attempts at using a new computer language were to create games, and I made my first shareware game in C (a Galaga clone with 640x480 sprite graphics) when I was 11.

I continued programming and even took some computer science in college, but then I went on to become a successful electrical and optical engineer. Despite all of the engineering going on, I always found myself using computers and programming to solve most of my problems. Eventually I became the lead on a few teams that were half engineering (crash testing, lasers, etc) and half programming (automating facilities and production unit testing).

But enough of that. If I wanted to people to describe me in one word, it would be...

GAMER.

I love life and nearly everything about any topic or activity (I also love just about every sport out there), but games have a special place in my life and soul like nothing else. I've been playing for over 30 years now, and I think it's safe to say I *live* for games.

I know it sounds weird, but something tells me that games are the future of humanity. Once technology has stripped away all of our problems and requirements from actual reality, I think all that will remain is us choosing a reality for ourselves.

I think that reality is what we call games today. Tomorrow it will be called "life".

I know it's hard to think of games being so incredibly important when we're now surrounded by terrible AAA titles and a deluge of crap on Steam, but things are changing around us very fast.  Very, very fast. It won't be long before we look back at these times and view them as archaic, backwards, and even barbaric.

I think I know where the future can lead, and I'd like to try to move that way. It's a future where all of us can contribute to our shared reality, where we aren't being tracked, monetized, and exploited by large soulless corporations. It's a place we can always call home and can always connect to others when we desire.

I think our future out of our mess of depression and being lorded over by rich people will start soon, and I think it starts with a game. A game that never stops growing in possibilities, is controlled by all of us, and will always be there for us. It exists solely to serve its players in every way possible. Some games have gotten close to this idea in the past, but I think their lack of vision in this direction lead them astray. Regardless, technology has progressed to the point where we can start this now and never look back.

As such, I've quit my job as an engineer/programmer, and I'm now doing game development full time for the first time in my life. I've made a few smatterings of small games over the past 9 months to prepare myself, and now I've finally managed to strip away the clutter in my life so that I can concentrate on this almost 100% exclusively.

Looking back on it, I think I've always waited for this moment. Back when I played Privateer, I anticipated the idea of living in the ultimate space MMO, and that anticipation returned when I interviewed for a dev position on Star Trek Online or when I played Earth and Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies, Starquest Online, No Man's Sky, Starbound, and yes, even Minecraft. Unfortunately, all of them fell short of where they could have gone. In the end, they weren't about becoming a new reality for us. They were just games made for entertainment and (ultimately) profit. I'm not waiting any longer for someone else to come along and get this right. We're running out of time before a corporation comes in and makes a Facebook in this space that tries to control and exploit us as we live our virtual lives. I've been designing a game idea along the lines of what I'm talking about as early as 2010, and gave up in 2011 when it seemed too expensive at the time to accomplish.

Despite having a crushing day job, I somehow still had the excitement/energy to prototype a space game during my train commutes in late 2016, and by 2017 something had changed inside me. Somehow, I knew it was finally time for me to take my lifetime of knowledge and gaming experiences and apply it to the technology that has finally come of age. Ever since then, I've been prototyping and designing the game on paper (well notepad.exe actually, computers > paper), and now it's finally time to make good on the promises I've made myself.

I'm taking the plunge. As of May 2019, my job title is now "Lead Game Designer/Developer."

May God have mercy on my soul.

Thanks for listening everyone.  I need to get back to work if this thing will ever see the light of day!
Archive Factory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: May 15, 2019, 11:27:14 PM »

Hi!
I'm new here and my team and I love to create indie games!
I love games and I've been playing any kind of games since I was little!
Nice to meet you all!!
lambdacube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: May 16, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »

I have arrived.

Here at this time and specific forum because of the minecraft history. [notice the date] Not that it is the only reason, but, remove that as a cause, and I likely wouldn't be here.

I will share something with everyone tomorrow.

Me? Too much to list on here. Coded commodore 64's in childhood. Started a series in '13 on the YouTubes teaching people calculator programming since that's what I enjoyed doing in high school. Did Java coding back in like '06 and returned from the military to finish my schooling in '12. I would have done a lot more python and javascript in college, but I actually got way too addicted to minecraft starting when I was 23 in '12. Actually leaned more on the math interest for being a math and computer science student. Used to blab about AI and neural networks back in 2010 then noticed that they became a well known thing, finally, after one of my 'friend' classmates had gone to work for Google. Became more interested in formal verification and programming languages in the recent years. Interested in Cic logic system and pure type system theory. In 2014, I was working on a graphics project related to one I recently started, but then I was trying to use some unsupported c# opengl libraries then, but now using webgl. Worked a lot of non-programming jobs my entire life, but hoping to do something fun or special or lucrative in the unselfish sorta way with my technical interest someday. I'm almost 30. Birthday is at the start of June. Did I mention 'minecraft history' and dates here? Yeah. Precisely 10 years younger than notch..  Who, Me? Other than this project, I want to make something in addition to an app I published in 2014 which allows you to edit code using menus on your iPhone, except that it's not available because I have to pay a yearly fee and the app is free and isn't downloaded a lot.

Anyway, that was a ramble.

I should communicate with indie developers, not only for a specific project, but to learn how the community works and how people balance working on and valuing their projects. Right now, I don't really know much about it. A lot of my past friends from online were minecraft, TF2, Portal 2, and starcraft classic friends. I've even had issues asking questions which were unwanted on stack overflow when I was working for a research company because people thought it was hilarious that my question essentially claimed to systematically find bugs in c better than any other known method. I'm telling you, it's true, but that's its own conversation. I love indie games because there is so much room for different game play mechanics and there is so much to be made.

I loved when games like Portal, Antichamber, Sim City, Minecraft, Starcraft, Cookie Clicker/Paperclips, TIS-100, The Incredible Machine, and Stardew Valley came out. Of course, many of those are among 'bigger' titles compared to a side project. But, when I had money in the military, I thought I was donating to some college project when I bought minecraft. I think it was because I heard the story about how the guys who made a portal indie game got hired by Valve. Watching a timelapse of Notch creating games on the fly back in 2009 still feels a bit intimidating. But, I know that my theory background and mathematics interest can be intimidating in its own way to people, so I realize that I shouldn't be afraid but just do my best.

Honestly, I'm wondering if most people will silently go 'TLDR' because I tend to do the same with paragraphs like this.  Embarrassed
Adipson
Level 0

Adipson Studio Point and click Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10983 on: May 16, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »

Hello everyone.

I am Romuald (Adipson), 47 years old, french and generation gamers on Commodore 64, Atari ST etc.

In recent months, I came back on my first love by making a game that was buried in me since the 80s. Strongly influenced by flagship titles like Monkey Island, Lucasarts games, Day of the Tentacle or the Big Bang Theory series. and the movies The Hangover, I will suggest you to discover my very first point and click independent 2D cartoon 3 GEEKS!

I develop these point and click all alone (graphics, programming, scenario ect) and invite you to discover my universe on http://www.adipson.com or this first game on STEAM : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1023410/3_GEEKS/

Adipson Studio
Point and Click never die !
Qin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: May 19, 2019, 04:26:00 AM »

Hello !

We are a team of French devs and we have been working on Qin for several months now, even years for some of us. We are joining TIGSource because we think we finally have something worth showing. We also want to start a Devblog and organize playtests ! We hope to meet nice folks here Smiley

All the team will participate in Devblogs so we will cover different fields from various angles, as much as possible.

We’ll have a proper presentation for Qin but for now, we can tell you that it’s a tactical in the spirit of Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or more recently, Wargroove.

Do not hesitate to join our Discord if you're interested : https://discord.gg/Z99MhDf

See you around ! Smiley

wyverin_ent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: May 22, 2019, 01:07:54 AM »

Hello Guys,

We are making games with Buildbox for over 2 years. Making games is our passion and our last game, City Danger, is one of the best games we created with Buildbox so far.

We also have a community in Romania in which we promote game development and encourage young people to start creating the games they want with the Buildbox Software.

Thanks and wish you all the best,

Wyverin Team.
CJM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: May 22, 2019, 05:19:27 AM »

Hello all,

My name is Christopher, and I am an indie game developer living between Sydney, Australia and Toronto, Canada.

I grew up playing mostly Amiga games, which I consider to be the golden generation for games.  Favourites include Stunt car racer, Chase HQ, Barbarian, IK+, Moonstone, Cannon fodder, Another World, Chaos Engine, Supercars to name a few ...

There was nothing more exciting than loading up a floppy and having no idea what to expect!  Pure game designers and pure creation...

I also loved the NES and SNES that my friend had, favourites including all the Mario games, Punchout, Zelda...

The PS1 was an amazing step up in graphics, and games like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, the Die Hard game which has a completely different game for each movie...wow!

There have been numerous great games since then but I am losing excitement with these big production games and the big business approach to the industry.  People need to make a profit, no problem, but trying to appeal to the widest fanbase as possible has resulted in most games (in my opinion) losing their charm, being predictable and generally not that great.

The indie game scene is now my source of excitement!  

Glad to be on the forum!  Tongue

Thanks

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1032070/Mostly_Scared_of_Spiders/

https://gamejolt.com/games/MSOS/395062

https://www.facebook.com/heroheadstudios/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:05:28 PM by CJM » Logged
samspot
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: May 24, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »

Hello! I'm Sam and I was a NES kid.  I took a long time but I finally made my first complete game for 7DRL 2019 - https://itch.io/jam/7drl-challenge-2019/rate/380420.  I've since been working on a 1.0 release.  I'd like to keep making hobby projects in my spare time. 
NikitundrikDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: May 27, 2019, 12:59:37 AM »

Hello world! Im Nikitundrik, a hobbyist game dev! Im know java and learning ruby!
FuxMuldor
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: May 29, 2019, 03:06:13 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I use to work for smalls and big studios but got tired of it, now I try to make a living out of my Art for games. I'm creating atm some pack for the Unity market and unreal engine.  Coffee
dreamstrata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10990 on: May 29, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm Velocirection and I like making NSFW furry stuff and games(yes I'm one of those kinds of people ;3) At the moment, I'm working on a dating sim adventure called Gator Or Zebra.

Where you(a bisexual dino guy) date a sassy gator babe or a really sweet zebra guy.

This would be funny with a pun if you reversed the genders. Gaytor and Z-bra.
leafboatstudio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: June 03, 2019, 03:11:48 AM »

Hi, I'm Michael. I've been working in the gaming industry for 2 years now and am currently working on my third game. It's been an incredible learning experience and I hope to learn more.
david_serrat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: June 03, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »

Hi!

My name is David Serrat, a recent university graduate in videogame development. Currently working on the finishing touches of my fist game. I kind of regret not knowing about this comunity earlier, seems very nice and useful for getting feedback. But better late than never, here I am!

My favourite videogame generes are platformers and puzzle adventures. My favourites include Braid, N++, classic Mario platformers, the adventures of LOLO on the NES, Myst, The witness and To the moon. As you can see, I'm into retro and indie games.

Looking forward to sharing my work and checking out yours!

Happy Gaming/Developing!
aare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10993 on: June 04, 2019, 05:48:03 AM »

Hello there!
Name is Filip, living in Poland and making video games.
I enjoy hiking mountains, learn how to skateboard (turns out it's really hard when you start at 25yo) and play way to many games.

Day job is at SUPERHOT and my spare time activities also include making games. Though I work hard on keeping that work-life balance in check Wink

I feel no shame in linking my personal webpage as I spent good chunk of time on making it look just right
http://filiploster.com
GurbrinderSingh
Level 0

Gurbrinder Singh

View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: June 04, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »

Hello brothers,
Myself Gurbrinder Singh a.k.a Mr. Singh a.k.a SardarJi Shrug. I am an indie game developer by hobby and pharmacist by profession. I started my journey three years back. I was successfully able to unfinish atleast 6 titles  Cheesy. But finally i unsuccessfully launched my first android game  Tongue on Google playstore under the title "Glossy Balls". Kindly take a look by searching its title on google play store and playing it. It's published by Singh Bros Who, Me?.
or download Glossy Balls game on play store by visiting https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SinghBros.GlossyBalls
Thank You!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:34:13 AM by GurbrinderSingh » Logged

Mr. Singh
aforslund
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10995 on: June 04, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »

Hi all,

My name is Andreas from Sweden (lived in the US for a long time), 45 years old, grew up on NES and Zelda is still the best game series in my opinion. I started developing casual online games for Disney online as "applets" back in 1996.  I wrote over a dozen single player and multi-player games (with names like Goofy's Freaky Freeway, and Tarzan Jungle Adventure, but also non-Disney branded games like PopUp, Circuit Breaker, RoboBug, etc).  Since leaving Disney in 2000 and getting "real" corporate jobs, I did some mobile game ports on the side in J2me and Brew like Sony's Spiderman vs Doc Ock, and some original titles for Konami as a side gig (Rollo's Tuck and Roll and PushOver).  I've also ran my own sites (magnetisland.com and nebulagames.com) featuring 4-5 casual games each.  Lately I'm writing a casual trivia game on Cordova as a hybrid app as a side project, and making experimental casual games like mazesaga.com as a pure html 5 game.  I still continue working on games for fun and perhaps some potential profit.
Plummet Studios
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10996 on: June 09, 2019, 06:53:36 PM »

Who am I?

Well, it's more of a "we" but I'll talk about me. I am Aiden Rodriguez, the lead developer and creative director for Plummet Studios. All choices for our games go through me and most are done by me so I guess I can represent the team. For reference, Plummet Studios is a very small team involving a few friends who got into game development. Now, some of our team has switched out and such but many have stayed. I'm the sole programmer of the game, I find the assets and write the code but we have a few members to make additional assets, beta-test, judge the decisions, and manage the community side.

As for me, if you're talking to Plummet Studios, you'll probably be talking to me. I'm really big into the horror genre as a whole, I've been watching slasher and horror movies since I was 5! When I was a kid, my favorite books were the Goosebumps books. Anything that makes people shiver and squirm is my specialty. That's why I began creating horror games but even more so, I was inspired by SCP Containment Breach, as most can tell from the similarities in the story of government group keeping strange things under wraps. SCP Containment Breach was a unique game, I was never sure why but for a long time I COULDN'T play it. I was terrified. I had never been unable to play a game before but this was something different. I wanted to replicate my experience with the game. Also, I was always fascinated by expansive and immersive worlds that you can get lost in. I write stories myself in my free time and have heard that I can tell a great story. It's my goal to tell everyone a story... is it a happy one? No. But I think it's one that we all need to hear. What I've prepared is something that can be applied to deeper elements of our lives...

That's my story. I'm super excited to be part of this and can't wait to see some of the stuff on here.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walter E. Disney
TanukiDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10997 on: June 09, 2019, 07:53:18 PM »

Hello!

My name is Saphir, I am 32 years old, originaly from France but curently living in Canada.
I just started learning to make games in Unity and C#.

My favorite games are Last of Us, Uncharted, Life is Strange, Days of Tentacle, Suikoden and the FromSofware ones.

Nice to meet you !

JavierRayon89
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10998 on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »

Helllooo everyone.

I'm Javier and I adore great stories. I'm a video game designer and writer, I work hard to create a better world. This has taken me from evaluating a diplomatic career; VR training for high-risk incidents; and now to our video game, Dream of Darkness that combines Lovecraft+Aztecs.

I met video games with Mega Man X on the SNES when I was around 6 years old. At the same time my father shared his love of History with me. I realized while humanity has struggled a lot, progress is possible. Therefore I considered studying to becoming a diplomat and was invited to several organizations, including the the European Parliament and the International Court of Justice. But I found out bureaucracy was not my cup of tea.

At the same time, I discovered titles like BioShock. That opening! In less than 10 minutes it told us how to improve societies: experiment, create your own city.

I resolved to use the power of video games and storytelling to inspire positive change. I studied my BA in video game design and worked on making VR training to prevent high-risk incidents in Oil & Gas. We used the Oculus Rift DK2.
https://www.unotv.com/noticias/portal/negocios/detalle/estudiante-propone-usar-realidad-virtual-crear-mundo-mejor-251676/

Now the team and I are working on our game startup developing Dream of Darkness, a story-driven game mixing Lovecraft+Aztecs. We're designing a unique story with surprising twists, well-written characters, and an amazing setting. We're using Machine Learning, Ken Levine's narrative legos, and the real mysteries of the ancient Aztec Empire.

1517. You shipwreck into the New World, only to find something awakening. Find the Truth, no matter the sacrifice.

Do you love story driven games? We'd love to hear your input! Find us at:
Patreon Dream of Darkness
Twitter
Facebook

Working hard on Dream of Darkness, Lovecraft+Aztecs game!
JavierRayon89
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10999 on: June 10, 2019, 07:38:52 PM »

Hey Saphir! Good to see you here. Suikoden absolutely rocks, especially II.

Hello!

My name is Saphir, I am 32 years old, originaly from France but curently living in Canada.
I just started learning to make games in Unity and C#.

My favorite games are Last of Us, Uncharted, Life is Strange, Days of Tentacle, Suikoden and the FromSofware ones.

Nice to meet you !

Working hard on Dream of Darkness, Lovecraft+Aztecs game!
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic