Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411802 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 11:27:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1990509 times)
suiraclaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 06, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

Hi everybody :D .

Lately I've taken interest in the indie game industry, after playing fantastic games like cave story, iji, aquaria, exit fate, wesnoth, teeworlds and dofus arena (although the latter might not be considered an indie game).

Searching more great games like these above, I ended up here Smiley .

You can never get enough of something you don't really want.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1961 on: March 06, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »

Welcome Solarblade, Ataraxia and our newest member suiraclaw!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Kasran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 06, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »

Welcome, fellow newcomers!
B. van Stokkum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 06, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »

What's up, TIGSource?

I'm Brian van Stokkum.  A 23 year old Canadian, living in the GTA.  I've grown up scribbling in the margins of notebooks, and in various sketch books, as well as playing games on all sorts of systems.

In high school I played with the idea of drawing up my own comic, but I'm my own worst enemy.  I started dabbling with programming in a high school course (Visual Basic ftw...) and half made my own Tetris.

Fast forward a few years, and I stumble on this site which I've found to be a great source of inspiration.  The amount of talent on this forum is astounding!  The group of you have gotten the itch to code, draw, and be creative back in me.  For that, I thank you!  Happy to have found this place and look forward to participating in this community!

...now where'd I put all that motivation?  Huh?
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1964 on: March 06, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »

Welcome B van Stokkum!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Johhny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: March 07, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »

Hi everyone, Johhny here. Yes, that's double H! :3

I'm just going to hang around and lurk a lot probably like I have been for a while now, but hopefully I can get involved in something here.

Don't ask the reason behind the double H. If I told you, you'd tear your insideystuff out in terror.

indie-dev wannabe, that's me
poetic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1966 on: March 08, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »

Hi all.

I got into games as a 4 years old kid on ZX Spectrum. I hear a lot of people that got hooked into games, by being fascinated, that they can control, let's say, the little spaceship, or whatever. What really hooked me, was when I realized there is no spaceship. There is no spaceship, it's only an illusion. This meant you could create an illusion of whatever you would dream of. This is something I remember very vividly, even now.

I like all kind of genres. The one thing I'm really into are story based games.

I got into mainstream game development after university and learned the hard way how bad games are made. I always wondered, how in the world, with all the funding, technology and talent, can you screw up a project. Now I know. It's really not that hard, believe me Wink I got out at the first opportunity and I'm full time indie for 4 years now.

I'm trying to unlock the storytelling potential in games, and create a new kind of RPGs where personality gives meaning and depth to every aspect of gameplay.

I have many hobbies beside games, mainly writing songs for guitar, rock climbing and traveling. I live in Europe, but I really like the west coast national parks in US and Canada.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:03:27 AM by Andrej Vojtas » Logged

Sacred Fire: Psychological RPG about revenge and loyalty
www.SacredFireGame.com | Support Sacred Fire on Indiegogo
ChevyRay
« Reply #1967 on: March 09, 2009, 02:20:45 AM »

I live in Europe, but I really like the west coast national parks in US and Canada.
Aren't they the best? Grin

West-coast Canadian here. Anyhow, welcome to TIG!
rogerlevy
« Reply #1968 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »

Hi hi -

I've introduced myself already but, I wanted to call attention to the link below, in my sig.  It's a blog I just started for my game dev tool project.  You could say that this project is sort of my "calling card" , so that's why I thought it would be appropriate to post it here.

Check it out if you like.    Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:30:14 PM by rogerlevy » Logged
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1969 on: March 09, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »

Huzzah, another Python-ator!  It'd been feeling kind of lonely around here. Smiley  Though I've been using Pyglet and Rabbyt for some extra speed.

IBC rootbeer for me.   Beer!

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1970 on: March 10, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »

Hi all.  I've been working on-and-off on a small game project for the last several months.  I'll probably continue in this fashion for quite a while.  The image I have in my profile is the main character graphic in my current prototype.

I'm part of a (probably) very small group of people who have chosen to build a game engine out of Perl.  Yes, the choice was made willingly, and yes, I made this choice despite having a strong background in C++ and graphics programming.  So far things are rolling along nicely and slowly - just the right pace for a west-coaster, some might say.

When I feel I've made significant progress, I'll start a thread in the Developer DevLogs section so you can see screenshots, maybe play a demo, and most valuably; provide some feedback.

I might poke my head in here or there in the meantime.
Codemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 10, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »

Hey.  I'm just another game developer with no motivation.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

I bet if I filled this up with 300 characters someone would bug me about it.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1972 on: March 10, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »

'Ello, I'm... me. Made the mistake of missing the rules to the announcement forum and posting there before here... probably gonna get yelled at or something... Anyway, 'ello again.

My games on  GameJolt.com

Kasran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 11, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »

Hello, fellow newcomers! :3
takvor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 11, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »

There are so many pages! WTF

Well, hello everybody!  I've wanted to make games ever since I was a kid, probably around Genesis era.  But when I got to college, I decided it made more sense to major in something I could get a job in, so I did Mechanical Engineering.  Well it turns out that I graduated and don't have a job regardless, so it looks like that was a pretty good decision on my part. Cry

So now I'm learning AS3 and have started on my first little game, http://tbrinson.webhop.org/game.html complete with amazingly bad graphics (art make head hurt).  I've also foolishly decided to host it from home, so it goes down every night.

I like most genres of games.  As far as favorite games go, off the top of my head... Final Fantasy VII, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star Online (I put waaay too much time into that game), Smash Bros., Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Beyond Good and Evil, Chu Chu Rocket, most of the Zelda games, and a sea of rhythm games, most notably Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, Samba de Amigo, and (oh, heck, why not) Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

Oh Dreamcast, I will miss you so.

I also play many board games, the likes of which you've probably never heard, such as Carcassonne, Race for the Galaxy, Zooloretto, Hive, Arkham Horror, and Go (I'm so terrible at Go, but I love it [not being terrible, but playing]).

Well, that's me, I guess.
Proc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: March 11, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

Hi, My name is Chris I’m a groundhog developer.

First I’d like to give a shout out to all the relatives’ especially the uncles of the world that left their Nintendo behind for a few weekends that got us all started on this path to eternal salvation.

To my mom that cut the power to my room when she discovered “sending me to my room” was like sending me to my own private arcade of awesomeness.

Every game since pong has been an inspiration to my life, even the bad ones.
I could go on and say how much I love Metroid or any other of the classics but those are obvious.

I’d without a doubt say Blaster Master was my first real “omfg” experience.

Think about it for a moment, some dude chases his escaping pet frog that lands on a conveniently placed radioactive safe in his backyard. The safe mutates the frog instantaneously making him so heavy he punctures the surface of the earth and falls down a hole. The kid then decides “Oh nos, My frog!” and jumps after him only to land on a super hi-tech tank which he then uses to pursue his frog.

Jerry Stop! Don’t do it!

I’ve been into game development a long time but only in the last 2 years have I come to understand what it all really means to me.

Make a polished, excellent game experience and enough money to fund your next project. (This may include turning in pop bottles or doing something in dark alleys you aren’t proud of.) But Mario as my witness I will crap out a gem one day.
I get so submerged in my projects I hardly come up for air but it always benefits the games I work on and isn’t that what it’s all about?
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1976 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »

Woah, tons of new kids. Hey guys, and welcome to the shire.

Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 11, 2009, 05:19:22 PM »

Greetings, gentlemen!  Gentleman

Been reading both the front page and these forums for quite some time and figured it was time to join the action. So here goes:

26 year old Dane studying philosophy and computer science. Been playing games since I was able to starting with my dad's Amstrad. I play almost anything except sports games and managers and such and have too many favourites to list here. Definitely a pc guy since I've never owned a console. But I've had friends with consoles and emulators enough to know most of the classics Smiley

Started coding in the basic-like language on the Amstrad when I was about 12 but never really got anywhere until I learned Delphi (ugh) and Java in school. I prefer Java these days (mostly because it's what I know best and it works perfectly for me) but will probably move on to C++ or C# some time in the future. My interest at the moment is AI as my main motivation is putting little pixellated characters to life and see them move around on their own.

Obviously I didn't join just to tell a bunch of strangers about myself so I plan to put up a dev-log or similar about my latest project (my first really) taking the form of a strategy-zombie-invasion-simulation-game... of sorts. Basically I have a 2D top down view of a city with zombies and humans running around, reacting to each other in different ways. No real gameplay yet but the plan is to let the player guide the zombie-infestation trying to take over the town while the AI controls the humans as they become aware of the zombies and little by little gather weapons and courage to defend themselves... much more on that later!
Nessiah
Level 1

Today is a gift that's why it's called the present

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1978 on: March 11, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »

Hello my name is Nessiah~  Coffee

I'm 18 (turning 19 this April) and I'm currently in the last year of highschool and planning to take Game Art course in college if we could stay in Australia. My very first games were...Tetris and Maniac Mansion for the PC where there were this huge floppy disks and I remember getting annoyed when I can't open the door because the house explodes! The game I got very addicted to was Cave Story...sleepless nights...must defeat speed run...

The very first engine I used was Sphere because of my uncle, unfortunately, I was too young for it and never learned the engine, then I moved on to Rpgmaker and never moved forward ever since which is a sign that I'm hopeless  Embarrassed

I want to learn Java to make some games someday but right now I'm trying to hone my pixel and art skills so that I could be useful. I joined Tigsource because a friend of mine recommended it to me and I'm getting tired on how the forums I visit are barely interested in game making at all, so here I am!

Nice meeting everyone  Cool

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1979 on: March 11, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »

Cute artwork in your blog, I'm guessing you're the artist of your group?  Welome. Smiley

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic