Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:40:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1949440 times)
relsoft
Level 0

shmup addict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 12:07:32 AM »

Hello,

My name is Eric (Although people call me Relsoft. "rel" cuz I got the high score in strikers 1999 for like 4 years before it was broken).

I'm a part of a game dev team called "bleeding edge". We usually make opensourced and  free games.

Found out about this site from the2bears.com.

Cheers.

Some projects of mine (and bleeding edge)...

Project K.A.R.T

[bar]

Marvelous Twilight

[bar]

Space Impakto

Hello
Matt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 08:30:07 AM »

My name is Matt. I come to this site because I love games and I know you guys do as well. I've been playing games ever since I assembled an IBM PCjr with my dad. I was weened on DOS games and became a gamer for life one christmas as my brothers and I learned of the miracle that was Nintendo.
  There are a number of games I have loved but these have a special place in my heart:
Commander Keen - a treasure of the shareware days. My friend and I felt like explorers just finding this game through a BBS. Playing it was even better!

Super Mario - I still can't do the infinite lives trick with the koopa troopa and my girlfriend shames me with her prowess every time we play.

Archon - I could always beat my brothers at chess, but I couldn't always beat them at Archon. Was the most fun and most fair way to even the playing field.

Quest for Glory - So you want to be a hero? Who wouldn't after slaying monsters, saving the barony and surviving wacky hijinks.

Master of Magic - The first great time sink of my life.  When I wasn't playing it I was often discussing tactics and strategies or swapping stories with my brothers and friends. With the hot-seat shell things got even more heated.

Instead of making computer games I spend my game-time playing them. I use my creative energy largely in live theater instead. I believe games have as much validity as an art form as any other (although as an art form it is still in it's infancy).
  Thanks for the great site and all the great games. Keep making them and I'll keep playing them.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 07:45:30 AM »

my name is phil fish.
by day i am a level designer at some big montreal studio, and by night im a game designer, artist, organiser, promoter and media whore for KOKOROMI, a game dev collective i co-founded with my friend heather kelley. we make games and organise game jams/awesome danse parties built around experimental and artsy games.
the first of which called GAMMA 01 took place in november and was organised with the montreal international games summit and the arcadia fest, a kind of local ,mini-e3 for the masses

here's a bunch of people enjoying the games.

and this is me and heather chatting up with the fucking MIZ, who was in town to give a keynote for the summit.

i harbor a particularly intense hatred for the game industry in general.
im working on an escape plan and im trying to go indie fulltime, sometime in the next year.

and this is what i look like on good days.

i am interested in new kinds of games.
i believe videogames to be the absolute most kickass awesome medium ever and im sick and tired seeing 99% of the people who make them, do nothing with said kickassmedium but explosions and fast cars. i believe that videogame as a medium will reach its full potential via independant, experimental and artistic endeavors rather than strickly commercial.

some of my favorite games of the "last" generations include what i consider the ps2 tri-fecta, ive named katamari damacy, ico and rez. cliché perhaps but i will never say enought good things about these games and the impact theyve had on me.
recently ive been playing a LOT of crackdown, by far the best game ever about jumping really high.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:47:07 AM by fish » Logged

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »

Here's my entry:

Grew up in Sweden enjoying old quality games and the local demo scene (didn't contribute much though). It has struck me how there's a disproportionate number of people with skills and passion relevant to game development coming out of a that small country... what's up with that? Maybe the long dark winters and ubiquity of computers?

I started teaching myself programming in high school by making a game engine dubbed the Retro Terrain Engine... which later morphed into the game project "D.I.R.T."... which is now known as Cortex Command. (http://www.cortexcommand.com)

I moved to the U.S. at the turn of the century and have since been in and out of universities, retail game industry jobs, and entrepreneurial ventures without finishing any degrees, game titles, or businesses... but learning a lot in the process. Now I'm back to my old work of passion (Cortex Command) - and I'm in it to finish it, damnit!

Following the trend set by the Yu, here's my messy hair photo:

An incomplete list of games responsible for me being here:
COMMODORE 64:

M.U.L.E. - Great multiplayer and intricate strategy.. intro to economics!

Archon *nod at previous mention in this thread*

AMIGA:

Virus - I loved the mouse control while none of my friends could handle it

Traders - M.U.L.E.-inspired game which added a lot of character and real-time robot battles!

Sim Ant - I just love ants in general

PC-DOS:

UFO / X-Com - Amazing atmosphere, strategy, and two well-executed games in one

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans - One of the last great hand-pixeled RTS's! Dune 2 was also a fav

Rampart - Funtastic same-computer multiplayer, up to three people

Liero - Inspired me to make Cortex Command
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:22:20 PM by Data » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 06:56:49 PM »

Damn, Data just set the high mark for introductions!  Look at all those beautiful screenshots! *creams* Kiss

Also:

Sorry, ladies (and gentlemen), he's taken. Cry
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »

I know...

Talk about the Beautiful Man Club.  Wink

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »

Just don't ask how my right arm got so big...  Huh?

Also, BMcC, where's your intro, eh!?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:57:45 PM by Data » Logged
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 08:17:09 AM »

So yeah, go ahead an kill me, but I updated my post at http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.msg825#msg825 to include some screenshots Tongue

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »

I am Janko. I am from Slovenia. I didn't play games much until I started making them. In my secondary school I was madly into digital electronics and hated computers. In my  high school I was reading a lot of Osho, Alan Wats and similar, had biogard studied permaculture. (and reasonably hated computers). Then after flunking high school I became a programmer and am still that. I work on various contract jobs 80% (most are web-apps) of the time and I started making games at some point. I have bravekidgames.com page and I will soon activate timeeaters.com .. Althougth I tried a toons of (indie) games in last 2 years I haven't played 99% of them for more than 1/2 of hour (well some are also very good). The only game that I almost 100% will come to finish is Cave Story. I am playing it right these weeks.

because I am soooo beautiful, you can look at the pictures of me on this page: http://www.bravekidgames.com/about.php
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:27:13 PM by jankoM » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »

I am Paul & I'm a game-design terrorist.

I want to use games as bombs to explode happiness into people.

I like weird experimental games, like Chris Crawford's games.

But I also like mainstream games.

This is a really great thread btw.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 12:15:37 AM »

I want to use games as bombs to explode happiness into people.

Quote of the fuckin' year right there!
lexaloffle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 01:02:38 AM »

Hey, tables. Kewl.

G'day, I'm Joseph White. You might know me as the monk from Zen Puzzle Garden, or as the voice of Bee 173 in Swarm Racer. You can see me here to the left in my natural habitat after a hard night's coding.

When I was a wee lad, I had a religious experience after my parents accidentally exposed me to Elevator Action inf a fish and chip shop. After desiging games out of cardboard for a few years, my dad let me have a go on his BBC Micro that he used for controlling pigeon memory experiments. Now I make shareware games for a living and it's all swell.

Influences: Elly Action, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Knightlore, SFII, Flashback, Liero, Spheres of Chaos, William Soleau's old puzzle games, Pixelation dudes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:05:35 AM by lexaloffle » Logged

███ Joseph White
███ Lexaloffle Games
Gibbage
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 07:50:01 AM »

Hello!

I'm 'Dan' from 'Dan Marshall' from 'Gibbage.co.uk'.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 08:50:38 PM »

Tell us, "Dan."  Should we buy Gibbage?  :D

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »

Right, once more with feeling! Tidied up and fscked links fixed.

Hi! I'm Alex. I took a picture of myself for you.

My father tells me that one day when we were walking past a computer-type shop, I saw a computer in the window display and just stopped, mesmerised. So later I was given a Vic 20 to mess about with - being too young to really understand it, I played a few games, typed in magazine listings with my dad, and generally that was it. The best game was Serpentine. My dad has enduring memories of Blitz, and still does the noise of buildings being bombed occasionally.

Serpentine:

Then we got a BBC. I played tons of games on the BBC, but didn't get too far making any. Highlight games that changed my life after playing them (Repton games got me into development in a way, as they were the first games I played that had editors):
Repton
Exile
and of course Elite

Then came the Amiga. This was when I really started down the developer road. I had AMOS, and Deluxe Paint, Pro Tracker... it was all that was needed. Somehow I never finished a game. I did tons and tons of sprites in DPaint. I never really understood about tiles and sprites, from an engineering perspective. I wanted to do vectors but the Amiga wasn't powerful enough. I played a lot of Frontier and Syndicate. And Settlers, and Lemmings, and Wizkid, Megalomania, Populous 2, Speedball 2, Rainbow Islands the list goes on. The Amiga was something pretty special. This is where the good nostalgia is. Later, when the Amiga was as dead as a platform as it is now I played through the excellent, masterful same-author remake of Exile. I was a filthy pirate though, too young to know better. I played dozens upon dozens of games.

Frontier
Syndicate
Settlers
DPaint

Then we got a PC and games that changed me were Transport Tycoon, UFO Enemy Unknown, demos of games I couldn't run, and tons of shareware. Years after getting it, during University, I finally finished games. A tetris game and an asteroids game that got me a job in the industry. I have attached it to this very post (the mouse control is poor under XP/2k unfortunately).

TTD
UFO

University (I used this telescope!)
+ The Internet

= My Asteroids game

Then I got into the games industry and made some games, Stolen is the best of what didn't get mercilessly canned, and it should have been much better than it was. I took my frustrations with my job out by coming up with game designs I could never finish. Having started and never finished many more projects I finally decided to do something I could actually finish when XNA came out, and the results are coming along nicely - see my gge page for info.

NickWaanders
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »

Hey guys,

Just joining this forum from my hotel room at GDC, on a crappy as hell internet connection. So, NO pictures for you!
I'm Nick, programmer, 31 years old. Worked in the industry for about 8 years now. Most notably at Relic where I shipped Homeworld2, Dawn of War, the Outfit and Dawn of War - Dark Crusade in different programming related positions. About a month ago I decided that the whole indy game scene started to become way to nice to miss out on, and I quit to start my own company Slick Entertainment, co-owned by Klei Entertainment. I'm currently working on n+, the port of the game n to Xbox Live Arcade, and so far it's an absolute blast.
I met a few of you today at GDC, and it's been fun already. I'm looking forward to meeting a lot more of you guys!

Cheers,
Nick
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »

Feels like everyone's worked in the games industry at least a little compared to me  Cry

Then again, some people would say that's a blessing! Wink

GetAGrip
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 01:20:20 AM »

Hi all,

I am Swedish human called Thomas and the most "known" projects I have worked on are Fiend and Penumbra (TechDemo). Been doing games and stuff for like 10 years and started out on my Ti-83 calculator.

Right now I am co-owner of Frictional Games and will be releasing Penumbra Overture - Episode 1 shortly. Currently I work from a corner in the living room, often while my girlfriend watches TV (which has made me an expert on shows such as "Top Model").

That sums my life quite nicely.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 03:02:31 PM »

Hey everyone, I am Alevice. That obviously is not my real name, but I have been paranoid as of late of revealing it in public places that can be cached by a search engine, partially because I fear the places where I take my job interviews start mining info about me from t3h internetz.

I am 21 years old, soon to be 22 on May. I live in Mexico, studying IT with a half-time job at an accountant's firm. More about all that crap on my Hi5.com page.

I don't really recall what was the first video game I played, as I remember being a very little kid playing my brother's Atari, with games liek Asteroids and ye olde Mario Bros. When I was about 6 or 7 years old, I got my first NES, and you have no idea how much time I spent/watsed on it. I really loved that machine. Later on I got  SNES, my favorite console of all time, and got great games like Pac Man 2, Animaniacs, Mario Paint, Yoshi's Island, Cool Spot, and SMW of course Wink. I couldn't afford to play much games during its era, but thankfully that was solved by means of emulation later on :D

I never got a real PC of my own until I became 15 yo. I got games like Tomb Raider 2, Resident Evil 1 & 2, and then the game that changed me the way to see games: Starcraft. That game was so incredible, i spent countless hours on it. Not later on, I became a Blizzard games fan. The rest is story.

Some of my favorite games:

Yoshi's Island

Killer Instinct

Fallout

Starcraft

Diablo 1 & 2

And many others I was just too lazy to mention.

I have always the interest to make games, but I really lack the commitment to do so, limiting myself to attempt some game mods, mostly Starcraft and Warcraft 3 campigns, none of which I ever finish.

I also have a gerat interest in visual arts, and i wanted (well, still want, sort of) to be a cartoon animator. Life and its cruel fate lead me to study IT :/

queasy
Quite Possibly Jon Mak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 01:29:53 AM »

my name is jon.  everyday shooter sucks.
aquaria is da bomb.

-j
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic