Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 08:12:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1955881 times)
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2500 on: July 13, 2009, 06:41:43 AM »

Hi my name is Justin and I'm 18 years old.

I'm a moderator for DZone and an avid programmer.

I first got into games back on the NES but I really started to game hardcore when WoW first came out.  I lost countless hours of my life to that game.  After I got bored at 60 I thought "Hey why don't I make an mmorpg".  Well unlike others I never really gave up and even have a few years of CIS courses under my belt.  I plan to go to college in the fall and major in CS.  Though I'm not currently developing a mmorpg it is what got me interested in programming and within the past year or so I have really taken programming seriously.  One day I will make a mmorpg though...

If anyone cares I have a lot of in-depth posts about myself (look for my early posts) on my programming blog which I post on very frequently.  CodeJustin.com

(I will edit this post later, just wrote a quick little bio for now)

You can see what I'm up to on my programming blog (CodeJustin.com)
akuryo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: July 13, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »

Hello!

To make it short, I'm a programmer.

This my language path through programming :

12 : AS2,basic
13 : using AS2 mainly
13 : xhtml,css,php,mysql
14 : python,perl,javascript
15 : C / C++
16 : staying on C++
17(today) : still on C++. Getting some cool asm skills too.

I almost used to try 3D modeling, pixel art, and the photoshop skills I'm developing since i'm 12/13 makes me a pretty good photoshoper. I already designs some posters, for theater, music festivals, website design...etc.

You can see that i got interested in lots of things, deep or not.

But my artistic talents are still low, i can do pretty neat stuff in photoshop, but don't count on me for drawing, and my pixel art skills are very low.

So, i hope I'll be of any help in this community, i just had to take a look in some thread to be very attracted by this forum.  Smiley
TakeV
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: July 13, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »

Hello, world.

If that didn't get it away, I'm a programmer.

I first started about 8 years ago, with good old DarkBASIC, wanting to create the ZOMG BEST MMORPG EVER! Fortunately, I'm a tiny bit wiser presently.

Currently, I'm working on two project, an XNA game for the 360, and an RPG with the other editors over at TVTropes. Also, I am learning a bit of the iPhone development platform.

I can sort of do art, but I'm not very good at it.

Hmm, as for games, the first one I ever played was wolfenstein 3D, at the ripe old age of 1.5, with my dad.
Didn't actually own a console until the N64 era, but before that, I must say my favorite games were Sonic CD and Yoshi's Island. King's Quest 6 and 7 were pretty awesome as well, and I'm just now discovering the joys of Quest for Glory.

I guess that is all.
robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2503 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »

Hi,

My name is Rob and I did play a lot of games in my days..in the Spectrum, title like The Hobbit, Trashman, Manic Miner, Jet pack..and a gazillion others. Then I moved on to the Amiga and another trizillion games flew by and I had a blast with them.
After all that I started working as I had finished my formal education as an architect so I was managing building sites and tradesmen to get buildings built. As a side note I learned of to weld, pour concrete, drive a bulldozer, some industrial carpentry and how to manufacture reinforcing steel bars so I could earn some more extra money on weekends.
Later I re-discovered 3d applicacions so I started creating architectural visualizations which I found a little tad dull after some years so I  started doing character work, animations and special effects.
These days I am considering creating games just because as a hobby I have learned c++ to a high standard and I know how to do art already..but we'll see about that.
I would like to have a dog at some point of my life as I haven't had one yet.
So that's me...

Happy to be here with you all
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2504 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »

This is me solving a Rubik's cube.

My name's Peter Boström, and I live in Stockholm, Sweden.
You know, where there are polar bears walking on the streets.

I am an artist and wannabe programmer.

I am a programmer and wannabe artist.

Practice makes perfect.

Started with UnrealScript and made some modifications to UT2004, in which I made a remote goo mine launcher. http://lemming.ceri.se/tigdump/goonade.jpg

Went on to learn 'real' programming, with C++, I made some pig-latin like apps, some basic 3d model viewers etc. Hung out in some programming channel and intercepted awesome. Ditched java in programming class and did a (crappy) Blokus clone in C++.

Wanted to learn to program in just C, so I wrote a fast, simple guitar hero clone using C, SDL and libvorbis as a graduation project thing in what'd be 12th grade (gymnasiet here in sweden). I think this was about when Guitar Hero 3 was released for the PC with recommended specs above Crysis, which I thought was BS. http://lemming.ceri.se/tigdump/ttfaf.png (either old screenshot or capped FPS...) Smiley

Still using C, and love it. (lower-level faggotry)

So, how did I get into gaming?

We had a 386-based computer when I was younger, and I loved playing games like Nibbles, Pinball Fantasies and Lemmings (duh?). Managed to finish ~one tier in Lemmings. My two favorite babysitters both enjoyed gaming and they used to play through this awesome game Prince of Persia.

I was too scared to play this myself at the time (traps and screaming when he falls, etc.), but I loved watching them play it. The game is simply stunning.

Over the years I've gathered a Game Boy Pocket, GBA, SNES, PSX, N64, PS2 and an Xbox 360, had a Wii.

I love far more games than I could possibly fit into something that anyone would want to read.

beatmania IIDX is awesome.

A few years I got back into retro gaming. I played through games like Another World and working on Flashback, and finally I was brave enough to play through Prince of Persia. Actually gotten pretty good at the latter. Doom is one of the coolest retro games ever. Also I've played through Lemmings and up to the last tier of its expansion. Good games, play them.

Along came Cave Story, (like for everyone else), and changed my world. Someone was releasing one of the best games I've ever played, solely developed out of pure love for the game itself. This shines through in almost every aspect of the game.  Kiss

(I do still enjoy commercial games too)

I'm not interested in making large-company games made for profit, this is why indie games is right up my alley. This is not a kick in the face against indie developers going commercial, it's not about the money. To me indie games are developed through experimenting with new ideas, and developers being devoted to their creations.

tl;dr: Programmer, wannabe artist, I love you all.

Will read this whole thread.

Edit: And also, I hang out at #tigIRC
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:20:29 PM by Lemming » Logged

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2505 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »

We had a 386-based computer when I was younger, and I loved playing games like Nibbles, Pinball Fantasies and Lemmings (duh?). Managed to finish ~one tier in Lemmings. My two favorite babysitters both enjoyed gaming and they used to play through this awesome game Prince of Persia.

I love the first Prince of Persia game. I like the scale of it (one hour to play!) and it has such epic encounters.

Welcome to the board!

|
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2506 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »

I love the first Prince of Persia game. I like the scale of it (one hour to play!) and it has such epic encounters.

Welcome to the board!

Yeah, the concept "takes one hour, no loading for more time" is really good. The fat guard at level 6. Kiss

Thanks! Smiley

BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #2507 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »

I did play a lot of games in my days..in the Spectrum, title like The Hobbit, Trashman,

Trashman!! What a game.. you have good taste.

:D
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2508 on: July 14, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »

Good evening ladies and gentlemen I will be your newbie for this evening Gentleman. Yeah so I've been a short time lurker, mainly around the tutorial and art sections. My main forte is AS2 in Flash which you can see a lot of at my DeviantArt http://roboprez.deviantart.com/.
I just recently re-discovered gamemaker and I'm now making a platformer engine in it. I really should start converting to AS3 but I always keep stalling.
Oh yes I'm forum goer johnnoz's brother and since he linked to my devArt just returning the favour http://johnnoz.deviantart.com/

robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2509 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:04 AM »

Here is some more info on Trashman:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/ys100/ystop100.htm

number 86 and the whole list is pure gold. Get yourself a ZX Spectrum emulator

Hand Thumbs Up Left
fngkestrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: July 15, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »

Before I get ahead of myself and try to post stuff regarding TIGConf and expect to get taken seriously, I should introduce myself.  Fortunately, this thread exists for that very purpose. 

My name is Russ.  I live in CA, in the Bay Area.  I've been going to SuperHappyDevhouse for a while, which is how I know progrium.  I've been in the game industry since 2001, and currently am a game designer making cell phone games.

I've been gaming for a long time.  It actually is a major influence on my worldview, but I suspect that it's the same for many of you in this thread (all 169 pages).

My background is a bit of a blender, with a mix of hard sciences, an art degree, and parts of a EECS degree.  I've done QA, Art, Scripting, and minor bits of programming (as much as they'll trust me with.)  I've changed gears every 2 years or so, so I'm waiting until I move into Marketing, at which point, I'll ask someone to kill me.

godsavant
« Reply #2511 on: July 15, 2009, 06:37:38 AM »

Oh, you west coasters, you. So crazy.
Wella
Level 0

The Noughties were good, eh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2512 on: July 15, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »

Hey there. I was recommended the TIG Source forums by a friend over at the Poppenkast, so here I am.

I'm a 15 year old gamer, amateur games developer, website designer, musician and artist. I was playing Final Fantasy whilst in the womb and started with RPG Maker before I learnt the difference between real boobs and man boobs. Since then I've moved on to the mandatory Game Maker, which I became fairly skilled at and learnt most of what I needed to know about GML. I haven't actually finished developing a full game for quite some time now (other than a couple of small competition entries made in a few hours), but I'm currently working on a community RPG project with some other guys over at Ultima Island, the forums where I truly was entered into the world of independent games developing. (If you want, check out the thread over there for more info on this project; my username over there is kid27).

Other than the world of video games, I've been designing website for pretty long, but have only recently become skilled at the more graphical side of web design. I have done one professional (i.e. I got payment, mofos) website - http://light-me.co.uk/ - which is now outdated in terms of my skills, but I will be designing a new one soon and I'll be sure to share that with you guys.

I'm also an enthusiastic electric guitar player. I've been going on this beautiful instrument for nearly six years now and I regularly play at school events. I've  played in one performance outside of school but regularly write my own music and go to a songwriting workshop during the summer holidays every year.

And finally, I've been drawing since I was kid, just like every other kid, but unlike many other kids, I got interested in manga at a very young age, and although I'm still not a great manga artist, I love drawing it, as well as random other little cartoon-like scribbles. Check out my DeviantArt profile for more.

So, that's me.

Hi.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: July 15, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

Facepalm

Wella, I don't think you'll make many friends here if you stick with that avatar and (huge!) signature.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Wella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2514 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:28 AM »

's called humour, mofos.

Bah. Fine. I'll change.

Sad

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »

's called humour, mofos.

Bah. Fine. I'll change.

Sad

For someone who fucks his mother and has a split personality, I guess I'm just easily offended Shrug

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2516 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »

They oppress us all, Wella, with their political correctness batons Cry
Though now I'm wondering what made a more offensive avatar than something saying you want to have sex with a teenage girl Durr...? Oh I see, that was the issue Wizard

Welcome, ya'll!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Wella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2517 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »

Lol @ Dacke.

And thanks for the welcome, Inane.

That girl was fucking hot anyway. Don't try and say otherwise. x_x

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #2518 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »

Hello! My name is Daniel. I live in the UK, and I write about video games in my spare time. I am even making two (!) of my own with a friend, and they shall probably be released at some point. One involves mixing colours. It's educational.

You can find my writings at http://cunningslice.wordpress.com , for what it's worth. I have appeared on several podcasts, it's fun, and all you guys should try it sometime.

I have been known, when pressed, to look like this:

The first video game I ever played was Tetris, on my grandfather's gameboy, and to this day it is the only game in which I feel properly comfortable when competing with other people. I kick veritable ass at Tetris.

In fact, pretty much every game I played in my formative videogaming years was on that little grey box with the greenish screen and four AA batteries. To this day I know Pokemon yellow version back to front, and Link's Awakening is pretty great too. Call me crazy, but I have to say that I prefer the Capcom Zeldas.

Nowadays, I mostly play a bunch of indie games because I like being surprised, and I like 2D, two things the mainstream doesn't tend to deliver nowadays. Oh no, I am jaded at seventeen! I am not sure whether this says more about me or the state of games nowadays. Probably the former.

Also, I like stuff that feels like it's been done in someone's bedroom, games and films and music that feel as though I could have made them. The personal touch, you know?

Anyway, I have obligingly introduced myself.
Wella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2519 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:51 AM »

Sexy glasses.

Welcome. I, too, am new to these strange and mysterious grounds.

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic