Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:58:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954092 times)
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3940 on: October 16, 2010, 02:00:28 AM »

Hello everyone!
My name is Primož('89) and I'm from Slovenia.

My role in game designing is programming and art (pixel artist more or less).

I've started with game developing early in secondary school with two project. First was small newbie game where you were catching some apples and pumpkins, second one was Tower Defense made in Delphi using glScene library.

On my game development path, I spent lots of time around various ORPG makers to make a "great ORPG game" - yeah right, I soon realized what reality is and I continue making small games like tetris etc.

At the moment I'm developing big arcade action platformer project.

Why developing indie games...because I have big passion for games since I first played a game (It was pentix and sokoban around 1995).

Dreams: Set my feet on game developing career either opening small company of my own or joing to another.

Big question about game developing: Am I doing things right

Trivia: Blodyavenger is spelled as it is, no additional "O", I got this nick name from one game where I couldn't chose name longer that 12 characters, so I kept that for everything else since it's unique because of wrong word Smiley

wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3941 on: October 16, 2010, 05:41:20 AM »

Good day, gentlepersons Gentleman

I'm William, 20-year-old wannabe indie-game developer born in England, raised in Australia, educated in France and currently in Italy. I've been making games for about 5 years now, but only a handful of people have , so I'm here to find out whether they're undiscovered gems or so bad they're beyond criticism Undecided

I've been interested in video games for as long as I can remember, but never had much money, so spent less time playing them and more time thinking about them. I made a lot of pen-and-paper games for my brothers, or lied to them about this "cool new game I just heard about", so that I could get their opinions.

It never really crossed my mind to write my own games until years later, which is a shame really because game-programming feels very "right" for me. That said I'm sick of the commercial industry's creative bankruptcy, so I've decided to either work as an independent developer or find a "real" job and make games as a hobby.

Nowadays I'm at university and on Linux, so have switched from Gamemaker to C++. I don't know if there's much hope for me of every making a living out of my games, so I'm planning on a Master's degree in AI, and may try to get into research and/or lecturing afterwards.

You can generally find me here or here.

sm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3942 on: October 16, 2010, 06:55:21 AM »

Hi everyone!

I've posted few posts here and I guess it's time to introduce myself..
My name is Simo Martikainen and I'm the coder of the game development group called The Royal Elite Ninjas Inc. We've released something like 3 games and we're aiming to make even better games in the future ;-).

Nowadays I develop games with C++ feat. some fancy libraries making the development somewhat easier. I'm an university student studying mathematics as my major and making games is just a hobby for me. I hope that making games will stay just as a nice way to have fun with friends..
smokingspoon
Level 0

Fran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3943 on: October 17, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »

Hello ! My name's Francis and I don't have any game out there yet .

(This is me with a street lamp globe on my head)
I've been introduce to videogame by my older brother.He rented them and when he was done ( I was 5-6 years old) I could finally try them !(If they were not 2 player co-op game ) I'm not sure which game I first played,  but I think it's this one:

I remember playing it a lot. But not understanding a single word of it ! (haha, I could not speak english yet). Having so much interaction in videogame , quickly made me mesmerized  Addicted . I had this Nes cartridge with 50 game on it, but none were better (IMO) than mario 3 ! Then one day my brother had this incredible machine , which cost hundred of dollar  to to turn on with it's 4 battery system. The Gameboy , Yeah man , too cool for school Nintendo is the rule !(probably the feeling to it back in the 90's, haha)! On this I played Zelda for the first time,  METROID for the fist time and another game not very popular , all good memento...

Radar mission , I very liked this game , the fact that there is 2 game in it is wonderful!
Zelda link to the past . My first adventure with Zelda , and I was in love , but again I didn't understand a single word of it , so I could never solve the final dungeon labyrinth , my brother would solve it for me , but I always died at the final boss, so my big brother eventually got tired and I was never able to finish it ,haha. Then METOROIDO 2 , this game scared the shit out of me as a kid  Hand Shake Left Screamy Hand Shake Right , and I loved it !

Then , again , my big brother arrived with something new , the Snes this time ! And those where the first game I played :
I was so amazed by the fact that Mario , Zelda and Metroid had a sequel !! This added much to my perception of videogame. Chrono Trigger... The day I finished this game ( understanding 50% of it) , I was in love! And I finished it again, and again untill one day, a friend of my brother stoled it  Facepalm , Chrono was to be my cult but my second game was Super metroid , even today I'm a metroid fan  Kiss . But super metroid too was stolen later , haha...  ( Star fox too was my favorite !)( And recently discovered this game named GUN HAZARD on snes! Best commercial game I played since a long time !!!

Well anyway , I will keep this post short! Later the 64 came out, I played Zelda and was marked for life by it's magic , and Star fox 64 by it's incredible gameplay and it's VOICE!! Then I eventually played Chrono Cross , (Understanding 75% of it )and was again marked, both by it's philosophic aspect , and it's beautiful music , I became a Chrono Trekkie( first time I heard music with this quality )  . And much much later I played my first indie game. Cavestory , incredible game , It's gave me hope to make a game too!
And The last big indie game I played is a Belgian one ! Entitled " OFF " magnificent game! At first , the graphic seem so-so  , but we quickly learn of its majesty, and of its incredibly well written story !

Now I'm working on my big game named " Side Effect " and 3 mini-game named "Depth" "Crusader" and " Cubical Rage" . I hope this wonderful forum will help me accomplish the programming !

Check out my creations https://twitter.com/Smokingspoon
I'm also known as Xena.
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3944 on: October 17, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »

Hi,

my name is Jochen. I'm gamedeveloper at Gameforge - one of the the leading publisher and developer of browser based multiplayer games.

Besides that I'm working on my own private game projects. My games Absolute Blue, a 2D Shooter and Psychoballs, a puzzle game, are available for free at my webpage: www.intermediaware.com.

I hope to give and receive useful feedback here, and connect with other developers and gamers.

mitridas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3945 on: October 17, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »

Hi,
nice to meet you to all.
I'm 25, my name is Federico Sauro and I live and study in Italy.
When I was 15, after playing Halo on the Xbox I decided that I wanted to be a game developer.
I chose the path of the programmer because it seemed to me the most obvious way to get there.
So I started to study by myself C and DOS graphics progamming with the infamous mode 0x13.
I made a couple of small games for DOS and then I passed to Windows and DirectDraw.
Than it became time to choose a university and I obviously enrolled in a computer science course where I had the chance to learn a lot of things, 3D graphics being the most useful of them.
Now I mostly work with C++ and Opengl and I'm a huge fan of linux and cross-platform development.
I'm looking forward to get my MSc this december and then I'll jump into the industry, but sadly I will probably have to leave my country and relocate because here in Italy there aren't too many AAA game studios.
But before, I will try the indie path.
My thesis is about a 2D physics simulator and I'm using it to power my first big project,
Escape from Quaoar (www.escapefromquaoar.com), a game that i'm developing with three people (a graphic artist and two sound designers).
We submitted it to IGC & IGF this year and we really hope to get to the finals!!

zengeek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: October 18, 2010, 07:26:58 AM »

Hi, i'm Rafael Vasco, nice to meet you all.
I'm 23 and live in Brazil.
Well my passion for games started when i first played the Atari 2600. Man it was pure magic. From then it were long years of pure joy with Master System, Game Boy, Megadrive(Genesis), SNES, PSX, PS2... But my other passion that is programming began a little later, when i enter university. Maybe it's a bit late but i don't care. I was lucky at the time because my first college work was about making a simple game with Pascal. And then a simple game with C. At this time all my games were made printing characters on screen. I remember i made a jump and up game with just ascii characters ... it was fun. An adventure clone from Atari was the best i did at this time Smiley  Then i moved to Allegro. I didn't make much with it because it sucked at the time... Then i moved to SDL. Much better. I made some simple games just for testing, bought a book about SDL and all. But one thing bugged me: I wanted to make good looking games. But i couldn't because i didn't have the skill. I am now, just as i was at that time, a programmer obsessed in giving the best impression for the others that played my games. The games should look good, first requisite. But coming back to the story... From SDL i've experimented almost all 2d game engines that exists. At least the more known ones. And some not so known... I improved my skills in development of 2d games. Yes, i were and am a big fan of 2d. I got lot's of source codes from game libraries and engines in various languages. This triggered another hobby of mine: Learning new programming languages. But not that much just sufficient to understand what the thing does and how it does it. From all the programming languages that i played with the best for me are C# and Ruby. And a little C++ too... But my major language today is C# and i'm happy with it. The days when C++ was the best and only options are gone. Well, after using XNA for a long time, it's a great framework btw, i settled with another c# engine called Vortex2D. I wanted a substitute for XNA on 2d games , and opensource. Now i'm helping the dev of this engine with what i can. My first contribution was a collision system using SAT with rectangles, circles and polygons. It came up pretty well... Making games is great, and making tools for making games is just as great after all. I keep improving my artistic skills in hope for the day when i'll make my own real game and be satisfied with it. Well i program for me first and for others second after all. While i learn how to draw, i'm involved in the development of tools that aim to help others making games. The first of those tools is called Sprite Vortex. You can guess more or less what it does with the name Smiley. Well that's it. Other than programming i like all things about Japan, history and culture, fantasy books, animes, etc, your default nerd stuff  Smiley
Sam English
« Reply #3947 on: October 18, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »

Greetings, all!  Coffee

I guess I should have done this earlier but I'm Sam, and I'm an aspiring composer. I've been a musician for about 14 years and writing music for about 6. My biggest inspirations are the works from Uematsu, Sakimoto, Mitsuda, Yamane, Stravinsky, Debussey, Williams and also my favorite band, Radiohead. I'm also in a band which plays around Nashville, TN and other surrounding states, called Vinyl Thief. Give us a listen sometime.

If you'd like to hear some of my work and give me some critique here's my thread: LISTEN HERE!

I'm excited to get to know people around here and see all the indie projects moving forward!

Thanks!

Sam English
skaven
Level 0

Addicted to gamedev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3948 on: October 18, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

Hi all.
I'm skaven. I'm 33, interrested in gamedev since my childhood and worked on 2 games on PS2 and PS3. I mostly worked on tech side like rendering or general engine stuff.
Now, I want to invest more time in gameplay and story telling things.

I have a day job not related to game development anymore. So, I spend my evening coding and taking care of my family. Since few months, I'm working on a 2D side shooter wich looks a lot like Pixel Junk Shooter.

Cheers!
Kuppo
« Reply #3949 on: October 18, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »

Greetings, comrades.
My name is Dylan, I am 18, yet I have been doing "game-dev" since I found an old Commodore 64 in my attic about a decade ago.  After I got a "real" PC, I messed around with OHRRPGCE(Yeah, back when it used BAM and such), but have since been sort of on and off with various development tools, going through phases of intense programming, then nothing, repeat ad infinitum.
I am currently in one of those game-dev phases, so I hope that my involvement in this community will provide me with inspiration and motivation that I did not have before.
As for games of my own, I have probably started and abandoned as many projects as most of you veterans out there Wink, but as I said hopefully that will change in times to come.
Quasar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3950 on: October 18, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »

Hi TIGSource!
My name is Dustin Quasar.  Gentleman

I got my start in games playing D&D and old boardgames as a youth.

I started coding games during my university days, about 8 years ago now.

I was the main developer of the RISK-inspired game Lux Delux, and we did a couple of spin-off versions of that game also.

I just released a new game Castle Vox, that's a combo of Diplomacy with Axis & Allies. It's fresh out of the code-mines now.

I've recently been thinking more about how games can elicit emotional responses in people, or share cultural thoughts (or propaganda). I'm hoping to make games in the future with this quality in them.

Wizard
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3951 on: October 18, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »

I'd never heard the name Dustin before I came to TIGForum. There seems to be loads of you here. Is it some sort of secret Dustin cloning program? Oh, and welcome to all the new manbabies.  Gentleman

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3952 on: October 19, 2010, 01:42:31 AM »

Dustin Hoffman?
deadZed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: October 19, 2010, 02:13:16 AM »

Hello forum!

I come here for inspiration, the creative forum is a goldmine. I do flash games and draw vectors, two things i see are uncommon here (all the cool kids seem to do them pixels). I once started out doing QBasic games. Since a game series ive released has gotten undeservingly popular i recently cut down om my "regular" coding work and took me some time making more games. Sometimes i do 3d to, but not for games. Favorite era of games: SNES

Current flash work

Previous 3d work

Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3954 on: October 19, 2010, 04:42:12 AM »

Hello everyone.

My name is Matias Christensen.

I am currently a 3D Animation student with a great passion for game design.
I have not created many games yet, just a couple of small Unity games. But i am currently working on a bullet hell iPhone game.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: October 19, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »

Previous 3d work

Good stuff.  The spider robot rocks, did it get ever get used in a game?
rptb1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3956 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

Hello!

I'm Richard and I'm running a teeny tiny unfunded indie studio in Cambridge, UK. I try hard to be able to do a bit of everything, but I'm originally a programmer. These days I spend a lot of time thinking about design and just how to make things fun for as many people as possible.

The mighty Acorn Atom

I wrote my first game on some sort of early release Acorn Atom in 1979. That machine had no way to save games, so ironically I still have the source code written in pencil on a sheet of paper in shaky nine-year-old block capitals! It was a kind of upside-down lunar lander, I suppose. The Atom had four colours: black, white, and two identical shades of grey. In those days, processors only had one register, and that were t'program counter. But you tell young people that today and they won't believe you.

This thing weighed a ton.

The first actual computer game I played was Colossal Cave on an Osborne-1 CP/M machine, off of 5.25" floppy (160KB each!)  This led a few years later, around 1986/87, to me making an adventure game compiler ROM for the Amstrad CPC. That's a hand crafted compiler in Z80 assembler. I can't quite believe I did that.

It had a logo and everything!

I also made an early version of Photoshop for the Oric-1 sometime around 1984.  I kid you not.  The source code is lost, sadly, though I did write a full user manual which I have in a box somewhere.

After all that I didn't really make another game until 2006, though I can claim to have inspired Martin Hollis' seminal 1990 title "Turn the Worm", which lead to a series of great sequels such as  "Spurn the Worm" and my personal favourite, "Adjourn the Worms".

Oh, and I designed the instruction set for the Wireworld computer. (If you investigate you'll see why that's not such an amazing claim.)  Other fun things we did at Cambridge include TETRIS in one line of BBC BASIC, but I didn't help much with that.

In 2006 Martin asked me to find a developer to implement the sound and music system for Zendoku on Nintendo DS.  I decided to do it myself and learn about modern game development.  Well, DS development is a lot like hand crafting a compiler in Z80 for the Amstrad CPC, so I was right at home.  Having done the sound and music, he asked me to do the menus. Then lead the programming. Then develop for Wii, which led to Bonsai Barber.

Since that leads on to the current stuff and I'm not a spammer, you'll have to figure out the rest!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:37:11 AM by rptb1 » Logged
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3957 on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »

In those days, processors only had one register, and that were t'program counter. But you tell young people that today and they won't believe you.

I don't believe you! You are quite clearly lying Tongue

Welcome to TIGSource. Lots of awesome stuff in that post Wink

rptb1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3958 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »

In those days, processors only had one register, and that were t'program counter. But you tell young people that today and they won't believe you.
I don't believe you! You are quite clearly lying Tongue
Aha, a young person!
Welcome to TIGSource. Lots of awesome stuff in that post Wink
I think you mean "ancient history". Thanks for the welcome! I hope I can contribute a bit, now and then.
deadZed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: October 19, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »

Previous 3d work

Good stuff.  The spider robot rocks, did it get ever get used in a game?

Nope, but it was never intended for a game. I just got an idea about leg design and had to try it out, there are more animation/rig tests with the same model in that youtube profile

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic