Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:38:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954174 times)
Conker534
« Reply #3980 on: October 31, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »

Yo.

I'm a beginner game developer. I use gamemaker. I guess it was always meant to be this way, because when I was a little kid, I would make games on paper, and host them at school. Everyone loved 'em. I am a pixel artist, and can do simple things with game maker.
rebellion534
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3981 on: October 31, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »

Hello everyone! Smiley

I am Albert, my first step into game development was around 7 months ago, i wanna try and see if game dev can be a start of my career path, i love playing games since i was born, so why not try game dev. I started to study programming 7 months ago along side game dev to test it. Im using the Unity3D as of now because i simply love the ease of use. My first attempt to make a game was an RPG, my plan for that game was huge for a newbie like me, i had to give up. Now im working on my 2nd attempt and this one is way way smaller so im hoping that someday I'll finish this game.

currently working on a spaceship-building, crew-management, space-exploration game. http://universe-edge.com/
Alberto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3982 on: October 31, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »

Hi everyone, my name is Alberto and I've been into games since I can remember. I got started back in the days of arcades and pumping quarters into the machines to play through a game. I later got into computers and learned you could program and make games on them, the rest is history.

I've worked in the games industry in a previous life, it's been over 10 years now. I was a self-taught programmer and worked on a few AAA titles on the PC before returning to school to get my CS degree. During that time I took a break from gaming and focused on school and getting a job outside of the entertainment industry. Now I've come full circle and am going back to my gaming roots but this time taking the indie route.

My partner and I formed Adventure Works, an indie game studio where we'll work on story based games for mobile (iPad/iPhone, etc) and possibly other platforms. The inspiration is to revive the point and click adventure game genre which has declined with the focus on 3D and MMORPG's.

We're just getting started but I'm super excited about getting back in the game and participating in the community here on TIGSource and getting to know everyone.

Alberto

voiceofrae
« Reply #3983 on: October 31, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »

Hey all!  I attended Tigjam this week on Saturday with a friend (known to me as Anthony, known to you as X3N) and I decided to start lurking on these forums.  I'm Renee, currently a senior at Berkeley studying English.  I enjoy games when I have the time for them, and aspire to get into a hobby of gaming/programming/creating after graduation.

It was nice to meet you all, I look forward to reading your posts (or meeting you at next years Tigjam)
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »

Hey all!  I attended Tigjam this week on Saturday with a friend (known to me as Anthony, known to you as X3N) and I decided to start lurking on these forums.  I'm Renee, currently a senior at Berkeley studying English.  I enjoy games when I have the time for them, and aspire to get into a hobby of gaming/programming/creating after graduation.

It was nice to meet you all, I look forward to reading your posts (or meeting you at next years Tigjam)
Welcome Renee! Glad you enjoyed the jam and joined the site Ninja

destiny is truth pre-op
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: November 01, 2010, 12:17:51 AM »

I go by AaronLee everywhere because it is obviously massively amazing (or perhaps it's just slightly less revealing than my actual full name.) This is what I look like with currenlty nonexistent facial hair;

I've been a gamer as long as I can remember, likely starting somewhere with windows 3.1 and the N64 era. In highscool I discovered game maker and never looked back. Since then I learned C++ and have eternally been planning a 2d OGL engine in that language (and primarily failing due to la ck of time.)

In between, I code sci-fi games and SHMUPS, one of which got into a cage match at Game Maker Community against a game about castle defense where all your minions talked in 1337... I lost.

Right now, I'm working on

It's a Confucian rocketpunk roguelike. Try saying that three times fast!

Right now I'm trying to hang on in California in the hopes of getting to UC Santa Cruz to study computer science. I've been on this track since highschool and have tried to stay the course as best as I can.

Up until recently, I thought TIGsource was some massive enclave of awesome within the indie community, and thus thought I was too lowly. Much to my surprise, after checking out the site after reading C418's interview, I discovered it was open registration. Yay accidental cross promotion!

Martin Prochazka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3986 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »

My name is Martin Prochazka. I'm developing (mostly indie) games for more than 10 years as coder, producer, game designer.

I list them as youtube links, maybe you know some:

- top-down racer with legendary DDR vehicle

- medieval online strategy
Aquadelic GT/Powerboat GT - powerboat racing with wacky weapons
Top Gunner - rail shooter for coin-ops

We have formed Hammerware, s.r.o. with guys I'm working now and did some projects for clients. It did not work well for us, so we are back indie! We have an office and self-publish our current title Family Farm.

a guy from Hammerware, developers of Family Farm
follow us: @hammerware
cbuster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »

Hello everyone, my name is Yu Pan and I just started game programming, but I have been a gamer and a programmer ever since forever. I think the first pc game I played was actually qbert, and I started programming in basic and maybe even logo(not sure which came first). Besides a few silly hobby games, I haven't really done much serious game programming in the past, my friend and I just decided one day to try and write one, since we like games so much.

Our first project is a 3d flash mech game at http://alpha.battlegeist.com. It's in alpha and we are still trying to figure a lot of things out, so looking forward to getting help and feedback from everyone here.

Oh here's a screenshot, in case anyone is interested:

annyfm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3988 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »

hay guys. i'm anny. been making shit for a few years, but bear the curse of permanent lack of motivation.

see some of aforementioned shit @ http://anny.fm/ if you care. i guess of particular relevance to the tig community is beatship, my final year game project mashing together rock band and some shmup influence. i like to think it's pretty original and wack but it also kinda sucks so i'm trying to force myself to remake it in openframeworks with a more refined concept. until i get a job anyway.

l8rs

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3989 on: November 02, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »

PUT THAT MOUSE DOWN, USE YOUR KEYBOARD

<3

PUT THAT COMMA DOWN; USE A SEMICOLON

-- but seriously, a keyboard-controlled website? I am feeling so much love for you right now

<<33333

annyfm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3990 on: November 03, 2010, 03:00:56 AM »

:3

Rasputin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: November 03, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »

what up..

im a solo (so far) game designer.

or atleast: I have lots of ideas and wish they could be games so I try to develop them.

Gentleman

im more into business, marketing, and can program php+mysql

captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 03, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »

Hello. I'm from New Zealand and am mostly a web developer but I want to do a javascript multiplayer game with lots of achievements and virtual goods because I'm into that kinda thing. Nice to meet you all!

My game is called hutch - http://playhutch.com/.

Slayn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 04, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »

Hey everyone!

I'm a video game lover and my first system was the NES. Just recently, actually for awhile now, I've been interested in wanting to learn to program video games. Bought GM 8 and am currently trying to learn GML. I can't draw, or program, but I'm working on both of them a little at a time, hopefully one will stick. 

Use to love RPG's but not much anymore. Platformers is where it's at now!
IQpierce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3994 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

Well I've been following tigsource.com for a while (and have been following indie game development in general for years before that)... and especially over the last year I've become increasingly determined that I want to make a serious go of being an indie game developer, and hopefully supporting myself and my wife doing it. Thought it was about time I got involved in the TIGsource forums, it seems like this is a hub of activity for a really active community.

I started programming games when I was about 12 years old when my dad brought home a copy of GWBASIC for our ancient DOS box on 3.5-inch floppies. I would check out books on BASIC programming from the local library and painstakingly type in the code line-by-line, with no idea what I was actually doing... my first program was a simple text choose-your-own-adventure game with exactly one decision, which would result in you either dying horribly or achieving spectacular victory. I still remember the incredible thrill of finding such a programming book that actually explained how to draw simple 2D graphics - lines and circles - on the screen, and realizing the fantastic world of possibilities that had just opened up...

Well fast forward a few years to C++, a BS degree in Computer Science, and a lucky break landing a job with a PC games company in Houston right out of college. I was completely a stereotypical exploited intern there and worked many 90-hour weeks a multitude of times for a criminally low salary... but again I was thrilled to actually be a professional games developer.

Fast forward several more years to me working as a programmer for Midway Austin, then Blizzard, then SOE Austin... and to me finding that the appeal of working for huge companies in huge teams on huge projects had worn off quite a bit. In particular, being a tiny cog in a very very big engineering team is demoralizing... especially because of the impossibility of actually contributing anything to the design or creative side of the project at that point.

Because it didn't take me long in this career to realize that it's not so much that I like programming... I like making games. I'm plenty left-brained, but I'm also strongly right-brained and creative. I found more and more that I wasn't just interested in creatively solving the problems of implementing a game design (though God knows those problems are tricky enough), but that I was interested in solving bigger creative problems... like how to create "Fun". It was actually pretty early in my game development career that I realized this, and began educating myself on game design as a discipline, as much as I was able to. (Unfortunately finding a role in the industry as a "Programmer/Designer" - without taking a huge pay cut as a Designer - is much more difficult than you might think.)

When I discovered Flash programming, it was a revelation. At the time I was working in UnrealEngine3 every day - changing a line of code, hitting Compile, and then pulling up a YouTube video to watch while I waited before I could actually see the effects of my code change. Then I got into Flash and could iterate on my code - and my game designs - in seconds. I suddenly remembered the old thrill of quickly making my own games in the good ol' BASIC days.

Suffice to say that since about 2006, I've never not been working on some little independent side project. It turns out that developing a game on your own is a very, very different skillset from developing a game as part of a big team/company... and forcing yourself to work on a game at home, after working on someone else's game all day, is extremely difficult... But I've found it to be worth it.

I find that I make games compulsively, it's something I'll always do. And finishing a game project that I created entirely on my own is one of the most thrilling experiences I've ever had... I'm thoroughly addicted to it.

So this year I decided that I would make a go of doing several things, and one of them is developing games independently, as a microstudio called "Deep Plaid Games." I've been doing game design blogging at http://DeepPlaid.com/, propagating that to Gamasutra as well. So since the start of this year:
- I put out a silly Flash game, "ClickCraft". It was the first game since I was a teenager that 1) I made entirely on my own, and 2) I actually finished... I'm proud of it for those reasons. It's a simple joke game - if you've played some Starcraft then hopefully you get the joke - but for me, I finished it and that's what was important at the time.
- I participated in a Flixel Game Jam here in Austin... I proposed a game idea ("a game about falling", inspired mostly by the long falling-based segments in Super Mario World, my favorite platformer). After about 6 hours of coding (I worked on the random level generation), we had Terminal Velocity, playable here. A playable game, if not an outstanding one, and it was thrilling to watch my idea come together.
- I got a Mac Mini and spent 9 months jumping into the deep end and teaching myself Objective C while making a game (a port of a friend's game) in it. It's called "The Great Land Grab": http://www.thegreatlandgrab.com. My friend Jake Gostylo (an amateur game designer who's particularly into board games) made this, a unique Android game that plays like a cross between Monopoly and FourSquare... you can buy properties in the game, but only if the GPS detects that you're standing in that property. (The comparison to FourSquare is loose - Jake hates FourSquare, this game is actually competitive and much more "gamey.") It's waiting on App Store approval now. Jake and I will also be showing this off in person at the "Game On!" festival for Austin game development in a couple of weeks, look it up and drop by if you're local.
- I left SOE and decided to jump into the social games space - again I had done a lot in Flash, and figured I could do a "big fish in a small pond" sort of thing being an experienced traditional game developer within a small web game company ("Electric Bat Interactive"... I know). This kinda worked really well: I pitched (and wrote the design document for) a Facebook game concept...(something quite a bit different, and in some ways simpler and more truly "social", than the typical Farmville-style game. It got greenlit and, for 4 months, was in production. It was the closest I've ever come to being Designer/Programmer on a project and it was pretty thrilling to see. Then that company was suddenly shuttered 4 weeks ago. So much for that.
- Luckily that iPhone experience has worked out, and I'm now finishing up my first week as a contractor for an iPhone developer, NewToy, working on Words With Friends. I'll just say that this is a fantastic studio and I'm thrilled to be able to work for them (particularly since I'll be able to work for them from home soon).
- During all of this, I've also been working on an intriguing art game with a prominent game designer friend of mine in Austin. I've been doing prototyping of it in Flixel most recently. Can't say more about it yet but it's very experimental and I'm excited about it, though it has zero potential for making money I think.

I guess I should actually list the types of games I like... I'm pretty eclectic and like a little bit of everything... read my "personal canon" of games. Although I like a little bit of everything, I especially tend to like anything that lets you face a challenge over and over and hone your skill until you conquer that challenge... which actually describes a wide range of games, from Tetris to my current obsession, Super Meat Boy. Creating the next Tetris would probably be my dream - although I've enjoyed games that try to tell stories and so on, it's not really the type of thing I'm very interested in making.

Anyway... it's been quite a year! And I've been working on other little things and game-development-related stuff as I've had time as well. But oddly enough I've been so busy developing games that I haven't had time to join a community like this one where people actually talk about the craft and the process and their love for it! I'm hoping to change that... I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spend on these forums but I'd love to be able to become part of the community and keep in touch with what's going on the cutting edge of the art form, which I think indie developers are exploring better than anyone else - which is something I hope I can be part of.

One guy trying to make some interesting decisions.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 04, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »

IQpierce, you have a very interesting background- welcome among us!
IQpierce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3996 on: November 04, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »

Thanks Guillaume! Sorry for what a wall of text that ended up being, but I figured this is a place to "put yourself out there", and when it comes to game dev, I guess I have a lot to put out there. Smiley

I hope that my experience from pro game development can allow me to do some "mentoring" for the community and particularly for people just getting started, but I also think that even old pros like me have a lot to learn from the crazy experiments happening on the cutting edge.  My Word!

Man, I feel like everything I'm writing is really earnest and formal. It's been too many years since I've been an active art of an internet forum, I think. I'm sure I'll be my old sarcastic/trolling/flamebaiting self within a few weeks of hanging out here though.  Durr...?

One guy trying to make some interesting decisions.
akbjker
« Reply #3997 on: November 04, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »

Like any insignificant person would say, I always thought games required mid-sized to large teams to create. And then, while web surfing, I randomly come across this site. I swear it's a godsend.

...Well, I say that, but I still like to work on random games by myself when I'm not busy with school. It's always kind of fun suddenly realizing that I've been staring at program code for three hours (and not so much the subsequent numb legs XD), trying to figure out why something doesn't work.

And I make myself sound so hardworking when I never actually finished anything. XD

I program mainly in C and C++, but my favorite language is still Java since it's so much easier to configure and use.
Makiyivka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 04, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »

Heyo, I lurk.  Now I'm less of a lurker.  Go me!
leek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3999 on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:37 AM »

Howdy!

I'm Matt and here's a screenshot of me:

Currently after studying for a year I'm unofficially gaping a year and trying to kick off with webdev freelancing and indie game developing full time. We've been doing that for a past few years with a couple friends of mine and that's basically who we/me are and what we do.

Some of you may recognize http://warpspeedgame.com or http://pordesign.eu names, I'm one of the guys behind it.

Recently we've been developing simple but entertaining game called Woohoo Drive which is a mouse controlled top-down racing game (http://woohoodrive.com), which I'm going to make a separate thread of shortly so enough said for now!

Hope you'll enjoy our contribution to this great community!

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic