Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 08:49:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1937748 times)
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »

Mak-man... glad to see you made it here.

Again, huge congrats on the wins! Very inspiring stuff. Keep on rocking
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 01:06:10 AM »

Aww Derek/othermoderators, you know I love you, but why does Dan get to be a Giant Enemy Crab? I'm the (Self-appointed) Crustacean overlord here.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »

I'm a regular sized enemy Slime.

Albert Lai
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »

stfu, enemy used as low level hero bait
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2007, 06:34:04 PM »

I'm a regular sized enemy Slime.
*merrily hops towards ravuya, holding a wooden sword*
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 06:40:05 AM »

I suspect he is a trap, a polymorphed demon of unspeakable power...

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 10:40:52 AM »

Hello everyone, friends, family,

I'm controlling a human being called György Straub, and for ease sake I call him !CE-9 (taken & twisted from the brilliant novel "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.). I've been born in Hungary and for now I live in the UK.

Game design and development was an old dream of my life, and considering how important it is for me, it's real weird how big a detour I'm taking to get there.

That fatal day was a warm spring day in 1989 (I was 9), when my parents decided that we'll get a C=64 (I know!). I was pretty damn impassive about it - I mean, it's a computer, it's great, hey, it has games. But then we've got the machine (with an 1541-II disk drive, yo!), hooked it up, turned it on -- and ever since I'm turned on bloody damn well.

Consoles have got past me (actually, I'm making myself up for it with zSNES & Fusion), not as much as coin ops. Unfortunately I'm too friggin lazy to look up pictures for my favz. But here's the obligatory list:
Protector II,
Catball,
Beam Rider,
Encounter,
Eliminator,
Hysteria,
Katakis,
Turrican series,
Creatures I & II,
R-type series & spinoffs,
Galivan,
Pang!,
Baal,
Shoot'em Up Construction Kit,
Enforcer,
Ecco the Dolphin,
Might & Magic series,
Abuse,
Magic Carpet I & II,
Tyrian,
Ignition,
Horde,
Pandemonium,
SWIV 3D,
Sacrifice,
MDK I & II,
Half-life I & II,
Axelay,
Wild Guns,
Starfox,
Anachronox,
Bioware RPG-s,
and quite recently indie games like Knytt, Cave Story or Clean Asia.

In my spare time, I'm making music under the guise äkktive cärbön (also hugely influenced by C=64 experiences). Have a listen here: http://myspace.com/akktivecarbon.

Both with game programming and music I'm open for collaborations as hell - drop me a line.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:13:10 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

goo1boy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 04:55:03 PM »

Hey all --

I'm Don from Gastronaut (we made Small Arms on XBLA among other things).

I play just about everything, but lately, only if it's on a console or handheld.  Yes, I'm getting old.

Currently - Phoenix Wright 2, Crackdown, Wario: Master of Disguise
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 08:02:16 AM »

I already posted in this thread, but then I took my post down because I thought it was too mastabatory. But everyone else is doing it, so whatever.

WARNING: This is a fucking boring post to read.

I'm Aubrey Hesselgren. I used to work as Lead Game Designer at 5treamline Studios on HoopVVorld. For reasons I won't go into, I left, as did Tommy Refenes, who is working with me on a game which we hope to get onto XBLA. We haven't announced the game yet, because we don't really want people judging it too early.

I started play games around the age of 6. My dad brought home an office PC and programmed a ski-ing game for me from some dense programming book. It was a welsh computer with a green screen. Not knowing that he hadn't saved the program, I played it a few times, and then turned off the machine. Never played the game again.

Then we got an Amstrad, and I would play Microsoft FlightSim (because my dad liked planes), a truely horrible port of Ghosts and Goblins, Elite (my brother did the trading and I did the flying), and Pinball Construction set. My dad also tried making a simple shooting game, where random blocks are drawn on the screen, and you have to click on them as fast as possible. It was basically the same as an onrails shooter, just completely abstract.

I stopped playing games (apart from the occasional go on my friends' brothers Amiga and Atari - hours of Magic Pockets, Rainbow Islands, Kick Off, The Chaos Engine, leisure suit larry, BatMan: The Movie: The Game, SpeedBall/2, Llamatron) until the Master System came out. Then I had a hissy fit until my parents got me one (spoilt brat). Alex Kidd, Sonic the HedgeHog/2 (I could finish the first level going so fast that sonic wasn't even on the screen for half of it. 17 in-game-seconds), Cloud Master (shite), Rampart, Rampage, Shinobi, Transbot (on a card!!), MicroMachines (Codemasters glory days), Psycho Fox... erm, And some football game where you could win every time by running straight up the pitch, and curling your shot from the penalty box. EVERY TIME.

My sister and her trendy friends introduced me to Doom, which was a real landmark for me. I mean, yeah, it's this really angsty Heavy Metal themed game (which I'm no fan of) but it gave me the impression that games were growing up in line with their audience. And it flowed so smoothly that all I wanted was a 486 to play it on.

My sister knew a guy who worked in the Covent Garden Exchange (famous british videogame shop) (who, incedentally, shared a flat with Charlie Brooker). He gave her lots of really lovely games to play on my machine... but not Doom! He sent Tie Fighter (oh lord that was good), Sam and Max hit the Road, System Shock (which I think I was a bit too noobish to understand at the time), and some other stuff I've forgotten.

I learned Mouselook on Jediknight, and racked up huge (200 quid) phonebills on that BT FreePlay or whatever it was called. I still sucked, but it was my first introduction to the internet.

At school, me and some friends took over the school computers to play Quake 2 at lunchtime, and I ended up modding. My grades dropped drastically as I focussed on learning how to code, and how to be a total dick to people on online forums. I got 3 mods on PlanetQuake, 2 of which got Mod of the Week accolades (Matrix Quake and Leper Quake).

In my gap year, I went to GDCE, but didn't have much fun because I was very shy. I had read Chris Crawford's Art of Game Design, and became a really pretentious lover of games. Watching Ernest Adams was fun as he did his Dogma 2001 speech (though in hindsight some of the stuff is a little off... not hugely, though).

I then went to university (UMIST), had a crappy time until the third year where I started to make friends, and got to pick my own thesis (on non-photorealistic rendering and animation). I ended up doing a bit of writing for something awful. It was mainly bad. Lowtax no longer speaks to me. I also wrote a bunch of ludology articles, but I think they are pretty inconsequential and unprofessional now. I got into GDCE again, this time after being in the IGDA Student Scholarship program. That time around was much better.

During the last year of uni, and for 6 months after, I worked on a full 3D abstract shmup called "K". I never got to finish it because my mum threw me out of the house. I stayed in southampton while trying to find a job. Did a bit of boring data entry at a train depot in southampton, failed to get into Climax Solent (but thanks for getting me the interview, anyhow Haowan!) and then begged and pleaded to get into 5treamline Studios.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:06:29 AM by Bezzy » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »

Here's lookin' at you, kid.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

That's not Ernest Adams. Ernest Adams is a top hat. The body is just a symbiote.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 08:46:34 AM »

Your bio is a continuous loop!  Shocked

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »

10 MASTURBATE
20 GOTO 10

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 08:23:30 PM »

Hmm. I guess Hoop\/\/orld is dead, then.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:09:47 AM by ravuya » Logged

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »

Stay tuned for Infinite LoopWorld.

SPOILER ALERT: It locks up your computer.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2007, 09:51:33 PM »

You can't prove that. Turing will find you.

jake
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2007, 01:17:15 AM »

Hi All,
I'm Jake from Gastronaut.
My first game, Fuzzee Fever, combined my love of Bomberman with my love of SNES-era puzzle games. It was in the IGF in 2004 and later on XBLA (the one for the original Xbox that nobody knew about). Then a couple more guys joined up with me and we made Small Arms.

At Gastronaut, I mostly program. I like to work on art as well, especially shaders and effects.

I have a stack of DS games that Don lent me that I should be playing and besides that I've been climbing buildings in Crackdown and buying too much stuff on Wii VC (even if I only play it for an hour).
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2007, 03:55:21 AM »

I guess I hadn't done this yet.  Here we go.  My apologies it's so long.  I apparently have a lot of history.  Trust me, I'm skipping a lot.

I'm Mike Kasprzak (pronounced like Casper the friendly ghost and Zack).  I run a little team (2 full time + 1 contractor) working on a game.  I half keep the game a secret, but it's pretty blatantly obvious what it is (Hint: It ends with BOMB and starts with Puff... Shhh).

I suppose I've been involved in the indie community for a long time.  Pretty much from when my friends and I moved on from BBS's to the Internet, I've been involved somewhere.  In the Pixelation/Tsugumo's Forum/Console Style RPG Community days I went by "DrAGON MaX", so yeah, that was me.  I suppose I was a moderator on Pixelation, but I certainly went the coder route.

I've also been involved in the Ludum Dare 48 hour competition community since the first one back in April 2002.  I'm usually the one that stirs up shat enough that we have one every April.  You can usually catch me in IRC during compo's answering questions based on the antiquated rules FAQ I wrote.  You can keep up to date via the mailing list at GameCompo.com (website down temporarily).  In case you don't know about Ludum Dare, it's a regular (1-2 times a year) solo compo where given a theme, you make a game based on that theme in 48 hours.  A great exercise is rapid prototyping.

Prior to Ludum Dare, I was big in to console programming compo's.  I did a few games for Bung Gameboy Programming Compo #2, and walked away with some flash carts as runner up prizes.  I was also the only original (i.e. not posted prior to the compo) entry in Bung #4 for a Neo Geo Pocket title.  I came in 3rd place (since the game wasn't very playable), and got a little bit of money for that one.

And more recently, for an 18 month period staring late '04, I was also a regular panelist on the GameTunnel monthly round up.  That was fun, but I wanted that free time back.  I also seemed to really piss off a number of people. Grin

In '99 I dropped out of college to take a game industry job.  Starting at 5andbox Studios, who was later bought by Digital I11usions.  In '04 I left and join a friend at his startup Big B1ue Bubb1e, and in Mid '05 I left for some burn out recovery and to start a company for my team working under the name Sykhronics Entertainment.  Pronounced like Sigh or Psi, Cron as in Cron (?!?), and "ics" like the end of Electronics.  That was what I used called my personal website, so at the time when I was looking for a company name, that was an easy choice.  It's hard to say though, so ... well, I'm sure you'll see.

A fun fact, during my time in the industry, of the more than a dozen games I've worked on, 5 were girl games.  3 minigame collections, and 2 platformers.  Two of them Barbie games.

That's Diva Starz, Secret Agent Barbie, Polly Pocket: Super Splash Island, Barbie Gotta Have Games, and Atomic Betty.

But what was really fun was this quote from IGN about the one title, Secret Agent Barbie GBA (7.5/10 btw).

"Believe it or not, Barbie: Secret Agent is the best Metal Gear knock-off that the GBA has..."
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/376/376162p1.html

My team was the King (Queen?) of girl games. Grin  I like to joke that I had the curse of girl games, since after the first one (Diva Starz), a new one would always seem to roll in.  I essentially had to leave and start my own company to break the curse. Smiley

I've been fascinated by game making from as far back as I can remember.  Things really got moving when my family bought a Commodore 64.  I've played most games of note for the C64.  For the longest time I never owned a console, but seemed to have played just about everything of note on the NES and SNES, and many notables on every other platform available in North America.  And I was pretty good too.  I came 2nd place in a little school organized game tournament of maybe 100 students, playing Super Mario Bros 3.  I could have won outright, but I honestly felt cheap jumping around that 2nd level with the generating goomba pipes, so I went elsewhere.

What's funny is I used to think my parents were cruel for not buying me a NES or SNES.  Today I thank them for it, as I ended up thinking about games all the time, figuring out how they worked, designing them on white reeled printer paper and graph paper, and eventually coding on the C64.  In time I moved to the PC and QBasic/QB.  Then a funky basic compiler called "Asic".  This was pre internet, so I don't have any reminence left due to floppy/HD death.  Then to Turbo Pascal making this in 1997:

Murmur's Dungeon.  A single screen (Zelda NES style) single character Final Fantasy style 2D RPG.  It's a fully playable 1-2 hour quest, but I unfortunately broke the running away logic when I updated it.

Later I switched to DJGPP and became a bit of an Allegro Junkie.  With it I did this:

Islandgates.  My stab at an epic Final Fantasty style 2D RPG.  Working walk around demo, statistics, and prototype combat.

My next epic project was lizard character driven 2D Zelda'esc 2D RPG.  This was also done with DJGPP and Allegro.

Zeb's Adventure.  Alas, I didn't get further than a walk around demo, though I did produce combat sprites.

Then moving to gameboy land, I produced a couple Gameboy/Gameboy Color compatible games for that Bung compo I talked about.

Poke Da Mon, a name that's a play on Pokemon, but a game where you hunt down a character in an arena to poke him with a stick.  You do this as many times as possible in 99 seconds. 

And Combat Soccer.  A pong game with characters, a dash move, cheesy opponent AI, and a missile you could fire to paralyze the opponent.  Both got me runner up prizes. Smiley

Then on the Neo Geo Pocket:

Syko*War.  A turn based strategic RPG inspired by a Neo Geo Pocket game called Faselli (sp?), featuring my "Zeb" and "Booster" universe characters.  Faselli was top down, and my "tweak" was I did it 2D platformer style.  Though I know it's completely unrelated, Little Soldiers reminded me a lot of how the game moved.

And by this time I was in the game industry.  It wasn't until Ludum Dare rolled around did I get around to producing more things for myself.  I'll skip over the lame ones.

In the November 2002 Ludum Dare compo, with a theme of "Construction Destruction", I came up with this.

Sheep Strike.  It's a 2 part game.  In the 1st phase, you build a defensive wall/base to protect a group of baby wolves using tetris blocks, exactly like tetris blocks (dropped from the sky).  You're given a time limit to do this, much like Rampart.  You also get to place gun turrets.  Then comes the attack phase, where you must defend your base for 60 seconds against a barrage of flying kamikaze sheep.  And this repeats until your wolves get killed.

Then in April 2003, with the theme "Preparation - Set it up, let it go", came the epic that defines me, outside my girl game curse.

PuffBOMB.  A physics based puzzle game where you use bombs to get hamsters to an end goal.  It's done the rounds.  Cover discs all over the world, The Underdogs, and then some.  Since this compo, I've been brewing a remake in the back of my head.  In 2005, I changed the graphics to something my new vision of PuffBOMB would look like, and entered it in the IGF and Slamdance.  And the legend continues...

Youtube Video:

In January 2004, for our sister compo the "72 Hour GDC" (like Ludum Dare, but teams of 3 instead of solo), another lesser known yet cool prototype game based on the theme "Food":

Zooble.  It's a physics based platformer with a hose.  You use the hose for thrust, and to push things around.  The game was going to include puzzles and things that required you to water plants (double use for the hose), but having wasted the first day, I didn't have the time.

Youtube Video:

After that, my projects went somewhat private.  You can find details if you know where to dig, but eventually I made it back to PuffBOMB.  This new PuffBOMB is something really special.  The classic puzzle game all fancied up, and something rather fun that's the new meat of the game.  It's developed in HD, so I'll let you ponder over my intentions.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2007, 04:56:12 AM »

Hmm. I guess Hoop\/\/orld is dead, then.
The last I heard it was handed over to a spanish company for some kind of re-jig, ostensibly to cut down file size and fit everything made into 50megs. That's no longer an issue, now, is it? 150 meg limit? But that's all I know.

So, never say never. The official word is that it's on the way.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:24:56 AM by Bezzy » Logged

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »

PuffBOMB is pretty awesome. Smiley

Can't wait to see the new stuff.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic