Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:17:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954139 times)
Willseph
Level 0

Code monkey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4000 on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »

Ello ello, my name's Will (or Willseph) and I'm new here :D. I study Computer Science at CSU Pomona and I hope to make a modest living making less-than-great video games someday. Until then I'm still mooching off my parents.

Here's yours truly:
Ajezard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: November 05, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »

Hi, my names Ash and I'm a british artist Tongue
I used to love playing video games, I would play them all day to death and if not doing that I would be drawing.
Then one day I though to myself wouldn't it be cool to make my own games?
A Google search brought me to GameMaker where I taught myself how to use it, then every now and then I would build little engines and not do anything with them. I had a really good go a trying to make a whole game myself and I just couldnt cut it.

I HATE PROGRAMMING!

And so I decided to focus more on my art, 3 years and one purchase of adobe creative suite later and here I am... a game artist  Wink

^ I drew that with a FRIGGIN MOUSE!

ink.inc
« Reply #4002 on: November 05, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »

@Will

Nice sticker.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: November 06, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »

Since an introduction is apparently "obligatory", I decided to post here.

I'm an aspiring video game artist, to say the least. The creation of the graphical side of video games comes much easier to me than say, programming. However, I'm still attempting to learn some programming so that creation of my own games would be possible in the near future.

In reality, I'm much more of a lurker than a poster. Additionally, the fact that I don't know very much about indie gaming will most likely prevent me from posting. However, I'll be soaking up information on a regular basis.

And I like pixels.

Edit: I decided that maybe a bit more information might be beneficial. My favorite video game series is the Mother/Earthbound series. I play the bass guitar. My favorite video game genre is the jrpg. Turn based has always been my preferred method of playing. That doesn't mean I don't play other genres though. It's just that for the most part, I can't stand wrpgs.

I've played a few indie games, but I don't have much free time because of school. I'm attempting to play more though.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:01:10 AM by cynicalsandel » Logged

HDSanctum
« Reply #4004 on: November 06, 2010, 04:18:55 PM »

Hey,

Well I guess you can call me hd or hades, maybe ? Well, hello there! hd are my initials, 'ha' 'de' are the first two letters of my names. I kind of like my privacy so for that reason I don't like to share my full name. *double checks that whois won't reveal me*

In my real life I am a student studying structural engineering. I don't spend as much time as I did in high school doing game dev, however I am planning a serious game dev year in my upcoming break and subsequent semester (I will take easy classes for once).

I like making games. In the past I only programmed and designed games, but I have recently decided that I will round out my skill-set and learn to make music and improve my art abilities so I can cover every aspect of my game development. You will be able to see my stuff in the coming months in the Art and Audio sections of this board. I used to put heavy emphasis on making beautiful code, but now I would like to deemphasize that and emphasize making beautiful games Smiley

As far as game influences go, I really enjoy bright, happy action adventure/rpg, open world kind of games. I was never very skillful at playing games, although I can be quite mean at FPS's. To me, games were about taking it nice and slowly and enjoying it at my own pace. For that reason I mostly enjoy games which can give excitement without high skill levels or learning time. An example of that is the PSP Ridge Racer game, I loved how you could pull off impossible highspeed manoeuvres by the way the game helps you around corners. The game almost plays the game for you, except that you do have to have some level of skill to perfect your lap times. If I had to pick one game to describe my childhood, it is definitely "Pokemon" Cheesy

I am still undecided about what my first game as HD Sanctum should be, I have another month to decide before I am free of uni. I want it to be something that looks, plays and feels different from other games so that people will associate my games with me (hopefully in a good way  Tongue).

Thanks
traingamedev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: November 07, 2010, 05:00:24 AM »

Hi,

we're three guys from Germany and Finland that have assembled to write an Android game. We're blogging everything we do and you can read our blog here: http://traingame.tumblr.com/

TigForums was recommended by a friend to us. We're here to get feedback and learn about other projects.

Cheers!
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4006 on: November 07, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »

Hello, my name is Nick and I am an alcoholic.
er.. programmer, same difference though.

Anyways, I'm one of those disgruntled types that's actually worked in the software (but not games) industry for many years.  I love writing code, and I absolutely love games, and coding FOR games (or anything related to) I just find a blast.

I grew up typing in BASIC code on the C64 to play new games (press play & record on tape...), and both being a gamer and being a programmer has stuck with me ever since.  I did a lot of modding and hosted custom mod servers for Half-Life TFC which ran for years, then UT2004 after it was released (I rebuild my UT2004 mod server recently and it's back online again). I love experimenting, trying out new platforms and new ideas, some of my later "releases" are actually psp homebrew games, "jewel" a bastardization between columns and bejeweled, and the aptly named "platformer" which had no point, but did have a pretty awesome entity system where I could chain waypoints, set a trigger on a elevator, and make it move in patterns while riding it.

I have as much fun writing tools as the games themselves in fact, and if I were to count my "level editors created"/"games finished" ratio would probably be around 25/1. No matter though, I still have fun doing it. I have a dislike of doing things such as art or music, or general design. 

Code is art in itself and I'd prefer to do nothing but, which is what drew me to TigForums. Unlike the other surviving indie dev sites, things seem to actually get finished here, and this seems to be a good place to get to know people and concentrate on what I like best.

-Fuzzy Spider
ink.inc
« Reply #4007 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »

This is funny because it is true.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »

This is funny because it is true.

(couldn't find the Liz Lemon one Sad )

Drink of choice? For me it's Gin & Tonic and beer.
ink.inc
« Reply #4009 on: November 07, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »

Fuckin, 30 Rock is so awesome. 50% of it's awesomeness quotient is because of Alec Baldwin, and the other 50% because of how ridiculously attractive Tina Fey is.

Redien
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4010 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »

Hello TIGers, Jesper is my name and I just recently started making games instead of just coding game-related stuff.

Got interested in game development 10 years ago and started making some crazy games using Javascript/HTML. (This was back when none of the cool kids were doing it and everyone just had to have an animated clock on their site.) Moved on to QBasic and later C/C++ and I've been coding random stuff ever since.

Grew up with games such as Super Mario Bros, Ikari Warriors, Little Big Adventure, Diablo, Quake, Final Fantasy etc.

I recently attended Blekinge Tekniska Högskola's Game Jam and met some really awesome people which gave me the motivation to finally join this community and do some real game development. Smiley

I'm currently working on a small puzzle game... oh and I also draw occasionally. (http://redien.deviantart.com/)

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: November 08, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »

Fuckin, 30 Rock is so awesome. 50% of it's awesomeness quotient is because of Alec Baldwin, and the other 50% because of how ridiculously attractive Tina Fey is.

I think you're being too conservative here. Baldwin is awesome, Fey is attractive and hilarious, Tracy Morgan is fucking crazy, Jack McBrayer (Kenneth) is just perfect in his role, and the rest of the cast is usually just dead on.

30 rock is one of my favorite shows ever, up there with Arrested Development.
vorpaldinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4012 on: November 08, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »

My name is Wiley. I'm currently hunting to hire a 2d artist/animator for an iPad adventure game. The lead developer is a very nice english gentleman named James Curry.

I met a bunch of folks here this year at Fantastic Arcade, which was held in Austin, where I live.
I do a lot of other artsy stuff, like live visuals here for a band called the Octopus Project.
http://wileywiggins.com
Gwinnell
Level 0

A C/C++ guy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4013 on: November 08, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »

Hey folks,

My name is Ashley; I'm male, 20 years old, and looking for... Well, hello there! *clears throat*

I'm currently on a placement year at a games company based in London, UK. When I finish my placement in July 2011 I'll be going back to sunny Bournemouth where I study Computing with a Games module. I started game dev some time during college where for one of my pieces of coursework I decided to write an online turn-based strategy browser game (using PHP, JS, XHTML/CSS). My teacher thought it wasn't feasible - let's just say that I proved her wrong.

I went from there (web dev) into real time games using Java. I tried to write a game in pure Java2d (overriding JComponent, you know the drill), but it proved very slow. That pushed me to check out various hardware accelerated game libraries. I idled at Slick2D for a while as it's architecture is pretty sweet, the rendering is pretty smooth (hard to avoid using the word 'slick' there) and the community there was very helpful. It's a good library worth checking out, I'd say!

More recently (partly due to Java's slug-like garbage collector) I've been getting into C/C++. I've slowly but surely been developing a game with a very slick-influenced underlying architecture.

I'm also a moderator over at Game Jolt. Most of my (for lack of a better word) games have been created for the contests held there.

I've met up with a few of the London indies and they've all been pretty awesome. Not one of them has seen my work yet, it's all too shameful right now. I did however get the general impression that I should be looking for some feedback sometime soon, hence this post.

With that over, you'll be hearing from me sometime soon (probably).

Ashley

sixofour
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: November 09, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »

Hello, You can call me Bob.

Well, about me. I like long walks on the beach during sunset. I like turtles. I want to be an awesome when I grow up. I probably won't post much on these forums. As I am really only looking for a game and was consequently told to post here first. I don't know why, but what ever works. Ninja
capnbubs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

Hi, capnbubs introducing.

I'm a UK based artist and programmer attempting to make a name for myself by completing a game of high regard. My ambition is to one day own a small games company with a few close friends.

I'm 27 and have been playing games since I was in a highchair.

Although this is my first time on the TIGForums I have heard a lot about it, looking forward to meeting all of you.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:20 PM »

As I am really only looking for a game and was consequently told to post here first. I don't know why, but what ever works. Ninja
We like to know who our members are. Makes the place more friendly  Smiley

Also, so that we can stalk you if you ever wrong us.  Cool
chumez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:06 AM »

Chumez reporting in  Gentleman

Nice to meet you all, I'm from Croatia and I'm a 20yo college student.
The games that I played throughout childhood were Spyro, Crash Bandicoot,
Pokemon (gba), Digimon 1,2,3 (PS1), Serious Sam ...

Back in the elementary school I didn't know about programming or making
games ... since I had no sources (internet). But, I had two tools that
I did use and those were Serious Editor (map editor for Serious Sam) and
Microsoft PowerPoint. Now you might be wondering about PowerPoint ... but
strangley enough I made "games" in it, where you would walk forward,
followed the story and shoot creatures that spawned at you.

That was pretty fun, but it lacked control over what I could do in
the game. So before I started high school and throughout high school,
I began learning programming in C++, made a few console games.

Later on, I learned about SDL so I began working on 2D pokemon-like
and zelda-like games, but would usually give up halfway through.
Usually due to lack of resources, people, willpower, since I had
to do all the graphics,script,etc myself.
And doing engine from scratch would prove buggy time after time.
Still, I learned alot about game engines and what it takes to make
a game and I began to really appreciate all those commercial games
and their complexities.

Right now, I'm in the pre-development state of a game I want to
create, planning out all the details. Hopefully, this one will see
it's first playable release someday around newyear...

Chumez Out

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
PiD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:18 AM »

Hi all!

I'm Scott, I'm 26, from the UK.

I've been playing games as long as I can remember, my first steps were taken on a ZX Spectrum +2 and it's all been downhill since then. Currently i'm playing ARMA2(with the fine bunch of gents from RockPaperShotgun.com), Super Crate Box and Trials HD.

I lurk quite a lot, but i'll try to post and be a useful member of the community :D
hanson
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: November 10, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »

Hey all!
I'm Sam Hanson.  I'm 18 and have had an interest in developing games since I was about 10.  Learned HTML/Javascript/CSS, then BASIC.  Found Game Maker and used that quite a bit, then learned some C++.  I have completed a couple small games.  Looking forward to being part of and learning more about this community!

-hanson
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic