Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:51:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1944083 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 21, 2008, 06:40:39 PM »

Any good tutorials and help would be much appreciated.

Well, there is this thread here on TIGS...

Hope that helps,

Oh and btw...welcome to the forums Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Tiego "TJ" Jontiago
Level 0

Vegan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2008, 03:23:03 AM »

I'm Chris DeLeon, and I've been creating indie videogames for more than 10 years now.  My first game work was in the form of C&C mods, followed by Doom mods, Descent levels, and moving on to learn C/C++ a few games later.

I enjoy every aspect of development, from documentation to project management to system architecture or level design or tool programming, and generally pride myself in hybriding to fit the needs of whatever project(s) I'm involved with.

In 2004 I co-founded the Game Creation Society at Carnegie Mellon University, managing it for the first two years in operation.  Before graduating college I'd played a substantial role in somewhere around 45 videogame projects, 21 of them GCS projects.  During that time I also helped a bit when my fraternity built the shrine to Nintendo by programming two of the booth's three electronic games.

I worked for 11 months at a corporate game development studio (6 as an intern, 5 full-time), and found my way out after coming to terms with my love for little abstract games and working on multiple projects at once.

Since then I've been making a new experimental web game alone every day in AS3, something I've kept up now for around 95 days and counting. They mostly focus on mechanics and compulsions, but the purpose changes frequently.

My favorite games are Bubble Bobble, Goldeneye 007, Gravitar, Warlords, Myst, Secret of Mana, Super Paper Mario, and a handful of games that I've helped make but don't suspect many others will know about.

Outside of that, I've been Vegan for 5 years, used to break dance and serve as the head of a submission fighting group, take notes in my own form of shorthand that no one else can read (also 5 years), and am known among friends for listening to 1.5-60 second loops of original NES/SNES music for hours on end.
Grin
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:57:08 AM by Tiago "TJ" Jontiago » Logged
PeteMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »

Hi, I'm Pete.

My friend "Blademaster Bobo" suggested I join the TIG community, so here I am. Good advice, Bobo.

I'm an art major specializing in animation -- I know a bit of Lightwave. In reality though, I have more fun writing HTML and CSS. No online portfolio yet. I also shoot film photography on the side. Film has lost so much ground to digital that I consider it "indie" photography, ha.

Anyways, my bro and I want to get into game production, and were very inspired by the talks we saw at the Indie Games Summit at GDC 2008 -- if anybody was there, we were the two guys sitting in the right column, second row to the back.

So as it is, I want to learn how to program. I know it'll take a lot of time and patience on my part, especially since I struggle with math anxiety. I'm dedicated though. In the meantime, if anybody needs help getting a site up, let me know. I can, at least, provide whatever self-written templates I have sitting around on my hard drive.

Later,
-Pete
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »

The indie games community is so small... let's get to know each other!  So that when we end up meeting in person it's not too frightening.

I knew I should have joined the forums BEFORE going to GDC. Ah well, for next year(s), here is a short introduction since by page 32 you realy don't want to be reading personal essays about people you don't know. Well, Derek Yu and Petri Purho met me personally and I've had the pleasure to see (but not the balls to introducte myself to) Cactus, 2D Boys and probably many more people I'll find out are members of this forum.

So here is the latest thing I made - last year's Dream-Build-Play warmup entry (click on pretty picture for youtube video):

It's been too long time since then, so I am getting pissed that instead of making games, I just write about them in this otherwise wonderful magazine:

I am also the editor of the DVD that ships with the mag and I put lots of indie games on it - the page is in some strange language, but you can use this search to see if I had the chance to meet your masterpiece: http://www.joker.si/ploscki.php?searchquery=yourgamenamehere. Psychosomnium, Dwarf Fortress, Cortex Command and Audiosurf are just the ones on the latest disc. I gave Derek one with Aquaria and Petri one with Crayon Physics on GDC and that as much as you know about me so far.

Anyway, I'm quiting the writing part of my job so I can make more games and when I make anything new I'll write more. I'm going to keep the DVD part of my job so I'll keep delivering your creations in front of 50.000 slovenian gamers. If you find this interesting at all (I think Petri was like WTF is this guy giving me a strange DVD for) I can keep you posted, which indie games I've put on the disc.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:35:44 PM by Retro » Logged

Erik Svedäng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: February 24, 2008, 03:29:32 AM »

Hi!

My name is Erik Svedäng and I'm a 21 year old game designer from Sweden.

I have been making games for as long as I can remember, but it's only recently I have started to actually complete my projects. I'm deeply in love with the indie games scene and I'm trying to play everything that is released. Right now my favorite indie game has to be Shotgun Ninja, I play it twice a day =)

Other games close to my heart: Shadow of the Colossus, Go (the board game), Tower of Goo, Okami, Settlers of Catan (board game), Worms, Icy Tower.

Currently I'm working on a game called Blueberry Garden. It's an attempt to explore storytelling solely through game play and I'm trying to walk as far as possible into ultra-interactivity-everything-is-tangible-complete-freedom land. In summer this year we will know how it turned out... here's a screenshot:

You can check out more pictures from the game and look at my other work at my web site: http://www.eriksvedang.com. Right now there's one game for download Flipside of the Divine, try it out if you want.

I really like the spirit in this community and I'm looking forward to be a part of it!

/Erik

Latest news about my games: www.eriksvedang.com
Nick Dangerous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »

Okay, here I am, Nick Dangerous:

that's me on stage with Tanzmob2000(www.myspace.com/tanzmob2000).
I got my first C64 when I was 10 got me the SNES shortly after it was released in Germany. I like videogames but I don't like the many of the games that were released during the past years. I nearly stopped playing till I stepped upon tigsource.
The games that I( found there got the freshness and innovation I missed. It was then when I decided to start developing again and actually finish something.

My work here is done!
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »

Hey. My name's Darius Kazemi. I'm a game developer, used to be of the non-indie variety. Now I run a middleware company... but we're totally indie middleware. In spirit. Ahem.

I'm actually here because golds convinced me at a party last night that I should stop lurking TIGSource and register. Also, I have a game that I meant to submit to the last B-game competition, but then I didn't. I'll just have to submit it for the next one.

Also, I was a huge Blackeye Software fan back around 2000 and used to lose a lot of time on Quibble Race.

mrhollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 24, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »

Hello, I'm Aaron.

At one point, I wrote for TIGSource, then life took over and time started coming at a premium.

I grew up loving computers, and learned how to program in basic when I was eleven, with the help of a fifteen year old who worked at the local radio shack.

Professionally I write code.

And (since I'm big on originality) I'm here because Derek convinced me that I should stop lurking and start posting in the forums.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:33:01 PM by mrhollow » Logged

"You should presently be able to deal from a full deck." - fortune cookie
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: February 24, 2008, 02:27:55 PM »

Hey. My name's Darius Kazemi. I'm a game developer, used to be of the non-indie variety. Now I run a middleware company... but we're totally indie middleware. In spirit. Ahem.

Rock on, dude.  Your B-Game concept is a thing of genius and I really want to play it.  B-Games 2008!

@doomlaser, mark johns
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »

I would like to get married to your art style.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Corpus
« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »

I'm with Cake on this one. That art style is awesome. I'm interested to see how the game turns out.

It's pretty cool that GDC has brought in so many new forum members.
Adventureface
Level 0

Gnarth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: February 26, 2008, 01:37:27 AM »

Hi all,
I am Ben an artist at Flashbang Studios.
I love jump kicks, high fives, and drawin pictures.
I also enjoy making games!
<3
Benelope Peppermint Braman

Ben Braman- Artist Flashbang Studios
noisyninja
Level 0

you cannot hear me. srsly.

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »

Aloha. My name's Mark. I'm a sound guy. I'm working on big budget projects as an audio lead, but I play a lot of indie games in my spare time, so I wanted to join up and get to know some of you folks.

I've previously worked on Bionicle Heroes, Tony Hawk's Project 8, PGR4, Boom Boom Rocket and The Club. Currently working away on Borderlands, BIA: Hell's Highway and Aliens: Colonial Marines, and others.

Glad to be here!
ninjascience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

yo!  I'm an aspiring game dev hobbyist.  By day I work on business apps written with Flex.  I like pixel art and platformers, and that's where my own efforts are starting.  After trying out AS3 game dev, MM Fusion, Game Maker 7, XNA and TorqueX, I finally settled on TorqueX as a tool.  I like C# and the component framework that TorqueX uses.  I'd be curious to know what some of the folks here think about TorqueX and XNA.

Currently, I'm using edited, ripped sprites for my own hobby efforts.  I wouldn't use these for a game I wanted to monetize, but what does the tigsource community think of this practice?
Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:12 PM »

I'd be curious to know what some of the folks here think about TorqueX and XNA.
I wish it worked on Mac OS so I wouldn't have to Boot Camp it. Otherwise you can guess how much I like it if I put up with switching to Windows just to make games in it. And since at this GDC the community games for 360 have been anounced, I've just found my audience. This will be so big, Xboxers (ex-boxers?) won't know what hit them.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2008, 11:05:26 PM »

Currently, I'm using edited, ripped sprites for my own hobby efforts.  I wouldn't use these for a game I wanted to monetize, but what does the tigsource community think of this practice?

Quite frankly, I hate it.  If good art can't be made, then I'd much rather see crappy MSPaint stick figures or plain boxes and circles than ripped sprites.

But I suppose this conversation might not be something to get into in the introduction thread.  You could always start a new thread to discuss it Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
yarhalla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »

Hello, My name is Dong.
I'm from Japan, I'm not good at English but I love indiegames!

I make some freeware games with gamemaker.(I love cactus games!)
Especially I love to make shmups!
my works are followings.

http://engrishgames.blogspot.com/
- Boidtrancer
- Nanosmiles
http://homepage1.nifty.com/cheap/untitled/
- SOUP

and I also make chiptune, NES like music.
http://www.yarhalla.jpn.org/yarhalla/16d/index_e.html
- Go square
- Gone square
- 9801st marriage proposals

Sometimes I'm on #tigIRC.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:29:59 AM by yarhalla » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: February 28, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

yo!  I'm an aspiring game dev hobbyist.  By day I work on business apps written with Flex.
Where does your avatar come from? It's pretty pretty.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ninjascience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 28, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »

It comes from a Japanese artist who goes by Gaio, or Peach Class.  He's done the concept work for most of the megaman z games.

http://home10.highway.ne.jp/gaio/index.html

and

http://flickr.com/search/?q=gaio&w=94949891%40N00

EDIT: the piece the avatar is from is a Gundam reference.  The green mono-eye Zaku mecha led by Char in his custom red version, done as fierce/cute girls.
ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 01, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »

!Warning!
An Introduction Approaches

Make Ready With Defense

Ahoyhoy,
Long-time lurker here looking to make himself a bit more noticable, if only so I can ram my horribly derivative (yet lovely) game down your throats in due course. But for now, I'll stick to the required pleasantries and let you know who the hell this is.

My name's Mark (unless I owe you money) and I'm a designer with the popular penchant for starting - yet never completing - a host of various Indie projects. I studied a somewhat dissapointing mix of Software Engineering and cack-handed Art/Design masquerading as Games Computing at University and later went on to teach there for two years before finally taking a leap into the proper industry with Gizmondo Games. That lasted a mere 4 months before the men-in-suits revealed what a sham it was a left us all jobless. Since then I've spent two years working with mobile phone games but am now safely nestled in the bosom of a large UK developer working on world-destroying console titles. Win. For those more knowledgable of this forums populace, I live with the equally world-destroying DrDerekDoctors and he'll no doubt appear on this page to tell me my games are cack, again. So, without further ado, I'll show you things that haven't been completely erased from my past...

First up, Ego Shooter. A silly little vertical shooter where your craft gets bigger as you shoot more of the random red dot thingies. It started as some seminar material but quickly became an excuse to waste time and claim I was teaching.

Next is my grand opus - a football game with a unique little twist that I came up with oodles of years ago while at Uni. Development has been horrifyingly slow but I still hold a little hope it'll get finished some day.

Then there's my current distraction which should stand more chance of seeing completion as I'm getting some of the fellas at work to do the art for me, eventually. Fingers crossed it'll get it's own thread on here some time soon when I unleash a build.

Lastly, you can always go and check out The Hidden - Source. A mod which forms the legacy of my time at Uni. My involvement of that version was more of a 'morale officer' but myself and two mates were responsible for the original on the HL engine. Ah, those were the days.

Anyway, I think I'm done with the formalities. Hopefully you'll see my charm smeared across this forum in due course but for now I'll sit tight and wait for a scathing attack from DrDerekDoctors.

<tv gameshow wave>
B'bye for now.
</tv gameshow wave>
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic