Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:04:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1953209 times)
djafwe
Level 0

I am the Zaikman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 18, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »

Oh, I'm so there!
justinfic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »

Hey all!

My name is Justin Ficarrotta (Fic for short). I'm 27, live in Las Vegas, NV, USA, and I've been an indie developer since 2004. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Been enamored with games my entire life: got my start with the NES when I was 4, and my heart still belongs to games from the 8- and 16-bit era. I got my start programming with Pascal in the third grade, and later Hypercard around 4-5th grade. The Hypercard section at AOL still has a few of my middle school games.

My biggest influences are the classics starting with the NES, through the Genesis and TG16, and up to the SNES, as well as the Marathon series for Macintosh. Specifically, games like Metroid, Contra, Zelda, SMB, Castlevania, Megaman... they share a quality that modern games just can't replicate, whether that be the discrete game logic, the fluid controls, or just the simplicity that comes from not having to deliver an epic 50-hour gaming experience. My goal as a designer is to evoke the same feelings you would have playing these old classics, and I'm thrilled that it's a goal that seems to be shared by the people here.

In 2004, I entered into the annual uDevGames contest hosted by www.idevgames.com with a game called Kill Dr. Cote, billed as a "relentlessly insane top-down-shooter. With zombies." It's got over-the-top violence and gore, lasers that take up the entire screen, and waves of enemies that could number well into the 500-750 range. It was an instant hit with the people at iDevGames.

It took first in the gameplay category, and was later picked up and published by a company called Freeverse software, and had all of its graphics, sound and music replaced, as well as the main villain (and therefore, the title):

During this time, I created another mentally disturbed game called "Arachnoid: Predator of Worlds". It was part of a 3-week iDevGames contest called "21 Days Later" and had to feature a predator-prey theme. It was a kind of cross between Rampage and Godzilla for the NES (you know, the one where the giant squid boss pins you against the left side of the screen for like 5 freaking minutes and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.)

In Arachnoid, you played a giant camel spider on a rampage. At your disposal you had radioactive laser eyes, two arms to grab and eat passerby (or pound tanks and orphanages into the ground) and you could always just walk over stuff and stomp on it. Eating pedestrians, soldiers, and baby carriages restores your health, and reaching a certain point total allows you to level up and increase your max health.

Aside from my indie games, I've had a few brief stints in the industry proper. I've worked for Petroglyph here in Las Vegas for a little under a year, working briefly on Star Wars: Empire at War and Universe at War. I also worked in NYC for Freeverse to bring Marathon: Durandal to XBLA. I am also one of the three hosts on a podcast called the Best Damn Podcast Ever (http://www.bestdamnpodcastever.com), a gaming/comedy podcast where we fail miserably at bringing you the latest gaming news. 

Right now, I work as an independent contractor to help fund my plans for world domination, and if I'm lucky, another indie game.

Twitter | Current Project: Heavy drinking
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »

HEY. I've been here for a while. I havn't posted. that's some MajorBullShit right there. anyways. From Oakland (the other side of San Francisco), Ryan Armstrong is my name, and pixel art is my game trade. when I have time. Havn't done anything lately Sad Anyways, thats me. or someone almost like me. or something like that Cool

up down left right upper cut.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 21, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

And I figured this would be the right place to put the post. I'm GeneralValter, and I enjoy platformers, Shmups, and Dwarf Fortress. I am of the few who have beaten I Wanna Be The Guy, and I'm currently working on FLaiL.

Favorite Game (At least right now  Tongue): Phantasy Star 4.

I've been checking up on TIGSource for a while, but I only decided to make a profile just now. Anyway, hi!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: March 21, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »

Welp, it's not!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

But welcome anyways  Grin

cup full of magic charisma
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 21, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »

Hi, I play games and I get mosyt of them from links on this site.  I mainly registered so I could vote for the optional boss for Noitu Love 2.  I voted for the castle.  I'm not a developer but I will be one if the castle doesn't win, because Someone needs to put that in a game.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:56:11 PM by december » Logged

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Corpus
« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »

Well, you're here now. Better start posting! TIGSource is like Hotel California.
neems
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 21, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »

Evening all. I actually just stumbled in off the street, because I discovered a game called TIGduels and I demand that everybody in the world play it NOW! (It's very good).

Other than that, just browsing the indie games. Some amazing stuff around here, the number (and quality) of talents is quite scary.
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 21, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

Hey everyone! 'Bout time I posted something in these parts of the forum too  Wink

Been busy with game development for a good 9 years now. It all started long, long ago with qbasic and GORILLAS.BAS and with an interlude in Visual Basic I bumped into Game Maker in January of 2005 and have been hooked to it ever since. I'm part of Poppenkast since 2006, a real fun group of young creative game makers.

Playing games is a whole different story. To archaic devices form my early (gaming) childhood, namely:
- the Amstrad Word Processor Computer with some classics such as Head over Heels  Kiss and Ocean's Batman
- The Atari Video Computer System, with games such as Asteroids, Night Rider, Dig Dug etc.

Without delving to deep in what happened after that, it basically comes down to that I haven't bought a console since the Super NES and I do everything on a 6 7 year old computer. Some other titles I have to mention as shaping games:

- TES: Daggerfall
- Secret of Mana
- R-Type III
- Wizardry 6,7 and 8
- Super Metroid

I'm still amazed how much gameplay people managed to crunch into limited room in the past. I never really liked that there was this transition to make everything 3D somewhere in the late 90's as in many cases the third dimension still has to prove itself with respect to function, playability and aesthetic.

Anywho, I'll tig along here for a while, like the place already  Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: March 21, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

Head over Heels! Awesome! :D

I'm pretty sure that's the first computer game I ever played. First one I have any memory of playing, anyway.

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 21, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »

Well, you're here now. Better start posting! TIGSource is like Hotel California.
I don't know about that.  Leaving is the main thing I do with my time.  I just play indiegames on my way to the door.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Kvalsternacka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »

Hulloes.

Been a regular on tigsource for I don't know how long and thought that I'd register on the boards. I was kinda surprised to see that my nick already was taken however. Turned out that I apparently registered back in july last year but forgot about it. So yeah, I've been a member here for about eight months, and here comes my first post Embarrassed.

Anyway, introductions...
I'm from sweden and work as a 3D artist in the industry. On my spare time I paint and make games I never finish. I've played games for my whole life, dating back to when I was only a few months old and were trying to imitate the sounds from the vidoe games my parents played, Needless to say, I grew up with games, have owned all kinds of consoles (I kinda missed the whole computer side of it when I grew up though) and have wasted loads of money in arcades.
I have played and plays (and likes) just about everything and have no real preference in genre.

I dunno what else to say really. Thanks for your time.

chiavelli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 22, 2008, 12:08:39 AM »

I've lurked here for a bit, and felt like posting something. Thus, the ancient ritual of the introduction must be observed.

My name is Steve. I'm originally from New York, and currently reside near Seattle. I grew up playing mostly NES. I was a big fan of Little Nemo because I loved the art style, music, and the idea that feeding candy to animals made them fall asleep so you could use their abilities.

The golden era of gaming for me was the days of Saturn and N64. My friends and I used to sit around all day playing Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix.

Space Station Silicon Valley will always be one of my all time favs.

Apparently, I really like games where you subdue enemies in order to steal their abilities. Come to think of it, Kirby on the NES (and Gameboy!) was pretty sweet too.

When Diablo came out, I was instantly addicted and pulled into PC gaming. I pulled many an all-nighter playing on Battle.net before the rampant hacking ruined the experience.

Then one day in the game store I saw a box that reminded me an awful lot of Diablo:

Knowing nothing about the game, I bought it on a whim. That's how I got accidentally introduced to my favorite PC game of all time. I still play Dungeon Keeper 2 sometimes to this day, and even managed to get my fiance addicted to it even though she is a pure console gamer.

The last game which I'll mention is another one which I picked up quite a few years ago but still play to this day: Moonbase Commander.

It is the most perfect blend of multiplayer awesome I have ever experienced. Nobody I talk to ever knows what it is, but once we sit down and play a game they are hooked.

Newer games are not as much fun to reminisce about, so I'll just skip those. This has been going too long anyway Smiley

There are a few games which I've actually made myself over the past few years. The first one worth mentioning is Paper Chase 2, which is a brutal stick figure fighter/platformer.

It has some bugs and other issues due to not getting fully polished, but it makes me happy for two main reasons:

1. You can dispatch your enemies by upper-cutting their heads clean off of their bodies. You are rewarded for performing this task not only with watching their body slump to the ground clutching at where its head used to be, but also with the ability to use the head as a projectile weapon. This always makes me smile.

2. You can snap off enemy legs by grabbing their foot and stomping down, forcing it to snap off at the thigh. After this, your now one-legged enemy will attempt to hop away as you beat him to death with his own leg. This also makes me smile.

I'm not really a violent person, so I have no idea where this game came from. Also, according to my bandwidth logs, this game is insanely popular in Poland. I'm not sure what this says about Polish people in general.

The next game I worked on was Toblo. It is a CTF game in which the world is made up entirely of blocks. As a player, your only source of ammunition is the blocks which make up the world, so you literally tear the place apart trying to get the flags. There are also super-sweet explosions.

After Toblo I worked on Drawn To Life for the DS. The idea behind DtL is that you can draw your own hero, as well as many of the things you interact with in the game. This was an extremely fun project to work on, mostly because I could draw inappropriate things while testing my code.

I have also worked on another DS game which is currently still unannounced, but hopefully will be revealed soon. I have actually left the game industry for the time being to sell out and make financial software. The real benefit of this is that I have a chance to get back to working on my own independent projects. I'm currently working on a flash game with a couple of other people which will hopefully be in a playable state some time in the near future.

I've met some of you at GDC and elsewhere, and it will be nice to hopefully get to know some more of you in the future. Wow, that was waaaaay longer than I originally intended it to be. Reminiscing about old games is a dangerous time sink.

I'll leave you with one picture of me looking like a dork at IGF:

and another of the headshot I used in the E for All programs last year:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:57:32 PM by chiavelli » Logged
djafwe
Level 0

I am the Zaikman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: March 22, 2008, 12:11:36 AM »

Oh man, that headshot is fucking sweet.
Kianis
Level 0

self-portrait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: March 22, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »

Kvalsternacka, what company do you work for?

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: March 22, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

Hello!
I'am Paul aka. X-Tender. I visit TIGSource since a long time and decided now to take the next Step and Register her at the Forum Wink

A bit about myself:
I come from Germany and work currently for a Advertising Agency as a Trainee developing Advertising Flash Games and Applications.
Before that I worked at two Game Companys for about 6 Years here in Germany as an 2D/3D Designer & Scripter, created some (not really worth to mention Wink ) game Titles for PC and DS.
In my free time I try to finish some of my Flashgame Projects.

My Game addiction Career started with the Amiga 500 where titles like Turrican and Hunter catched me and never gave me back to the outside world Smiley

After some Years I switched to a PC with a 386 Core -_- After I get in touch with Turbo Pascal at school I started coding games on my Lame machine too Smiley

After many Years and some new PCs I discovered Flash and started to Build Games on that platform, don't ask me why I doesn't switched to C or other Programming languages, I don't know.

Between that an Today I made some Levels for the Half-Life Engine and the MOD Counter-Strike (At the time i worked at the Game Companys) But that was kinda odd after a time, now I falled back to Flash where I currently developing a new Game.

Some picures of my little Flashgames (notfinished,)
Honeypunch - Punch 'em Up with a Fat Bee - Demo on my Website

Outnumbered - Top down Shoot 'em Up - Demo on my Website

Codename: Gorden - Jump 'n Run

At the end, a creepy Picture of me. - Also still WIP

Corpus
« Reply #556 on: March 22, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »

Whoa, did you make Codename Gordon?

That was great. It used to be offered for free download on Steam in the run-up to the HL2 release, didn't it?

Welcome, anyway!
X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: March 22, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »

Ah, Yes. Smiley But I've only done the Crappy Coding Part Smiley

deku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2008, 06:28:47 AM »

um lets see I'm Australian from quenbeyan (a city near Canberra)
ive been gaming since i was 3 when my dad bought me a super nintendo i grew up on donkey kong zelda and metroid
although i must admit I'm a child of the n64 age theirs always been a place in my heart for 2d games
anyways when the other kids in kindergarten wanted to be poilice or footballs i wanted to work in the games industry
I'm 15 at the moment doing year 10 I'm gona go to the aie (academy of interactive entertainment) next year
i have chronic a.d.d. so sorry anyone who has to endure one of my crazy rants on the irc
i hope to develop both my drawing skill and my coding skills (although I'm yet to wright a line of code)
basically the whole independent gaming scene came to my attention during this years gdc
id always been living under the idea that i was going to have to start off as a tester work my way up to director but it never acured to me that i may be able to work by myself (i was never a team player)
i hope to develope my skills and maybe make a full game
oh and check out my deivient  http://deku1.deviantart.com/

procrastination is the best part of game design<br />http://deku1.deviantart.com/
darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: March 24, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »

Hello,

My name is Robert Lupinek, but I have gone about the interweb as darthlupi and bitpimp for the most part.  I am a game development addict... ...Good I feel better now.

I have never worked in the "industry", but I think it would be a fun thing to try if I could convince myself that starting out on my own wouldn't cause my wife to choke me in my sleep from some starvation induced insanity that I couldn't help but take the blame for.  Yes, I fear being killed by my wife because we won't have enough money to buy food. Smiley

It would be fun to say that I truly became interested in video games when I finally got my hands on my first computer (A radio shack tandy) all to myself and was introduced to the oh so fun Canyon Climber:

Sadly that is not the case, cause that would be a cool story.  Like so many Americans before me, I caught the NES sickness when I watched the first metroid commercial ever started making paper cut outs little creatures and a hero in a big helmet dreaming of how the game played.
Here is the commercial that sparked my young imagination:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nZxrvxJrg4A&feature=related

Games I've completed that I think are barely worth mentioning amongst all you great folk are the following:
Winter's Heart, The Cleaner, Legend of Shadow and Raging Skies.

They can all be found at my never updated site:
http://darthlupi.com/?page_id=4
All except Winter's Heart, cause I am too lazy/busy to update my site.  Here it is though!

http://darthlupi.com/games/winters_heart_v1_2.zip

Here is the most embarrassing picture of me I could find in all my pale pasty glory!
http://darthlupi.com/images/Honey_Moon_Pics/Under_Water/IMG027.JPG
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:58:00 PM by darthlupi » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic