Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:18:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1907660 times)
basic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5760 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:32 AM »

Hey. Im new. Super excited to do something for sports compo. Never finished a game before. Hope i can make it :D
Slaktus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: November 04, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »

Hello,

I'm Erlend, and I make games. I've been doing it "professionally" for a couple of years now, and I'm one of those dudes who prefer to call themselves a "designer" despite really being more of an artist-programmer-writer hybrid, but too inept to do any of the labels justice so I just say "I'm a designer, dig?"

I used to run Strongman Games (strongmangames.co.uk) with three of my friends, but shit got real about two months ago and we realized our cash flow was too horrible to really call a business, so we split up.

I've designed a bunch of web and mobile games, led development of an ill-fated web-based game dev suite called OhMyGame (omga.me) which will likely go open source once we find the time to do documentation and make it any kind of useful) and now I'm sat at home looking for work and rebuilding my confidence.

I prefer making abstract, non-narrative systems-driven stuff because I'm a fucking nerd and I like playing meta-god. I'm not opposed to storytelling in games, I just don't think they're particularly well suited for the purpose -- especially not straight plot-driven writing. I like exploration, grokking systems, seeing pretty things and really love chain reactions.

I've got a bunch of prototypes that I want to brush up and release, so you'll soon be drowned by a deluge of half-arsed shmups with hardly any graphics that I'll demand feedback to then turn all passive-aggressive when no-one gives a fuck and I'll be all "man, 408 views and no-one posted a reply ..." and maybe I'll stop making games and be an insurance salesman or an arms dealer instead.

So lets be friends and prevent that from happening! See, I'm already doing it!
Paprikaz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: November 04, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »

Hello fine members of TIGSource!

I'm a nobody from Finland. I have too much free time and I don't know how to spend it (first world problems). I love music, art and games and I've been making electronic music for a few years now. I also draw random shit every now and then. My dream is to make a game someday, but unfortunately my brain doesn't like the idea of actually programming a one. So it's time for a plan b; become rich and hire tons of programmers to do the dirty work for me. MWUAHAHA!!!

Sorry did I drift of..?

Yeah but seriously, I like music, art and games.
Wolfenhex
Level 0

Hello.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5763 on: November 05, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am Jesse W. Schirmer, I also go by the name Wolfenhex.

For as long as I can remember, I've been wanting to make video games.  I have always loved video games and have rarely found a game I didn't like.  This passion for video games lead me to computer programming, which became another passion of mine.

I love making video games.  I remember one of the first games I made was written in Prolog on an old 8086 computer.  It was a simple Space Invaders type game that used a yen sign to represent a space ship and a pipe to represent a laser.

Since then I've programmed for a MUD, made free web games in Javascript & Flash, and now I am currently working on a game with my fiancee in C++ & C#.  Our goal is to sell it and use the money to start a game studio where we live.

Wolfenhex | Check out my game Pixel: ru² @ AreYouSquared.com
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5764 on: November 06, 2012, 11:47:13 AM »

Hi chaps just registered on the forum as I have been reading it most of the day and thought it was magic.  Thought I would introduce myself on here as I'm hoping to spend some time on here over the next few months.

My story is I have a job that I hate, takes up most of my time but pays the bills and keeps the wife and kid happy.  I recently got into developing apps for IOS in the hope of retiring a millionaire within 1 week of hitting the app store and jacking in the lousy job.  That didn't work and I'm not suprised because they aren't exactly angry birds reincarnated just useful niche apps.  Anyway after much debating about the time involved in creating a game and avoiding it I decided hey what the heck I'm going to give it a go.  It was the reason I wanted to start developing in the first place anyway.  I'm going to try damn hard to make it a good one and already am riding an emotional roller coaster battling time and effort vs. reward.

So hey thats my life story, thanks for reading.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Phil

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: November 06, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »

Welcome to the forums!

Please post in the introduction thread though.  Smiley

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.5805
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5766 on: November 06, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »

Oops, sorry about that I didnt see that part of the forum.  Feel free to move it if you can  Smiley

Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5767 on: November 06, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

Hi there!

Not that anyone would care, but I'll introduce myself Gentleman (I freaking love these emoticons!) .

I'm a Computer Science graduate from Barcelona, I'm 26, I've been programming since age 14, and I've always wanted to make games. I have made some, although lots of them never finished, of course.

I've participated in the last two Global Game Jams, this year's was pretty cool, we were proud of our game (less than 48h, just me and my friend):

http://sergilazaro.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/canniballism-global-game-jam-2012

It was not perfect, but it was finished. You can play it under the link, screens, videos and source code included.

Nowadays I have a day job, and I'm trying to do some game-related work on my free time (still have to decide on a project, though), and I'm trying to figure out if I want to take the plunge and try to make indie dev my future. Tough decisions, but I feel like I have to do it.

See you around, hopefully!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:57:29 AM by Sergi » Logged

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: November 06, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »

Oh but we do care!

hi guys! welcome.
Phillys
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5769 on: November 06, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Hello, everyone
My name is Phillys, I'm a freelance artist, and I also work under my little brother for indi games. (yeah, it's kinda sad that I'm the older one but my brother is in control...since he's the designer Shrug)

Anyway, my brother and I both love playing video games since elementary school. Our first console was SuperNES which we inherited from our cousin after he bought a PlayStation. And we were in love with Super Mario for a long long time.

After I started working, we bought our first console, PS3~~At the time we were fighting with getting a Xbox or PS3. But we both agreeed that we might want to play more JRPG, so that's why PS3 is sitting in our living room.

I do some fan arts during free time. (not recently though, too busy with our indi games)
My favorite game series will be the Tales series

Tales of the Abyss is the very first one I started with, then I just fall in love with the game.

I've tried Final Fantasy, but I guess I was unlucky enough that the first one I played was FF 13. But I think FF Type-0 is not bad.

Other than video games, I do watch a lot of anime and read a lot of manga.

So I think that should be enough to bored you guys with~
Magni
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5770 on: November 07, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »

Hi, Martin Magni here. I guess this is my chance at shameless self promotion. So here we go with some facts, carefully selected to make me look accomplished:

First game played: Wonder Boy III on my Sega 8-bit master system

First game made: A text adventure made in FirST BASIC on my Atari 520 STe

[No picture. I don't think pictures had been invented back then.]

First game released:

, blast cute chickens before they take revenge for their mistreatment by humans

Most successful game to date: Jump'n'Bump, multiplayer bunny gore galore, made with three friends from Brainchild Design

Latest game released: RAZE, racing + puzzle = true, made with Brain Builder, a game development tool from my company Boldai

Current game in the works: Blocksworld, build anything with simple building blocks

I just updated my profile with birth date and it replied that I'm 34 years old. PANIC! Oh well, I still have time to make that super mega awesome hit game before I'm 40...  Epileptic
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5771 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:27 AM »

Jump 'n' Bump is a classic. It still influences how I make games to this day. For instance when adding controls for my TIGCompo game Blobbyball I based the mouse controls on how it was done in J'n'B.

If I may ask, what was your contribution to J'n'B? Code, art, design, other, or a bit of everything?

pepp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5772 on: November 07, 2012, 06:04:43 AM »

Hi !
I'm Pierre-Eric, hobbyist game developer for many years and 33% of 'Soupe au Caillou'.
After failing to finish too much ambitious projects, we eventually managed to finish and publish a much simpler Android game Beer! !
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.damsy.soupeaucaillou.heriswap if you want to give it a try).

We're working on our next game, which should get a 1st version published this week; I'll open a feedback thread Embarrassed

Soupe au Caillou: making games for fun and profit !
Magni
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5773 on: November 07, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »

Jump 'n' Bump is a classic. It still influences how I make games to this day. For instance when adding controls for my TIGCompo game Blobbyball I based the mouse controls on how it was done in J'n'B.

If I may ask, what was your contribution to J'n'B? Code, art, design, other, or a bit of everything?

Cool! You just made my day Smiley

Art and design. For my new project I'm doing a bit of everything!
Grim
Level 0

hello i guess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5774 on: November 07, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »

Another hobbyist here. I have fun making challenging ultra low-res games with silly names that pack a lot of gameplay into a small plane.

I like to examine and pick apart anything resembling a game, and throw the pieces of game design that interest me into a mental pile somewhere. I later mix, match, and fit these pieces back together in a way that's more interesting to me. Thinking about it, I guess I don't do anything more than follow the basis of creativity. Shrug

That's part of it, the rest is just trying things out of the blue, then combing over them and attempting to make changes for the better. I'm usually pretty good at working around my perceived gameplay flaws, because I spend a disproportionately large amount of time playing and understanding games over actually working on them. I don't have much in the way of programming knowledge because of that, (still using a form of BASIC) but I've yet to hit a wall that can stop me as long as I have the privilege of owning a computer.

While I currently don't have any desire to turn this into a money-making endeavor, I'm realizing (as I draw close to my first complete game) that some feedback here and there would be nice.

hatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5775 on: November 07, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »

Hi, I'm a developer struggling to start a indie game studio.
I'm trying publish something on mobile platform at the moment to learn some marketing skills.

Wish I could do some 'real' game some time later.
JayExbl
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: November 08, 2012, 07:30:05 AM »

Hi,
My name is Jay Weston from Exbleative and Binary Space. I've helped design and create: Powerslide (PC racing game), Dirt Track Racing, Zombie Outbreak Simulator, Class 3 Outbreak and soon, Unknown Orbit on iOS (solo project at Exbleative).

I make my living from my company, Hyperfocal Design (www.hyperfocaldesign.com), some pocket money from Zombie Outbreak Simulator on iOS and hope to earn a full living from my games eventually.

I "do everything" apart from coding, which I am currently covering up by using Playmaker for Unity, a visual scripting/state machine editor.

You can see a little bit on Unknown Orbit at www.exbleative.com. I'll be releasing more soon. I expect the game will be released in either a few weeks (if I decide to compete with the Christmas releases...) or early next year.

Hope to see people around the forums!
Cya,
Jay
Exe_mas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »

Hello everybody! I'm Exequiel and I'm from Argentina!

I'm a medicine student in Cordoba's National University and in my spare time I make games! I was doing this since I was 13 years olds (now I'm 21) and I really enjoy doing this "creative and mental exercise", that's how I call my hobby.

I started making games when I was 13 and I always used Game Maker software. Why? Because my aim is not to be a professional, it's only for my and others happiness! I joined this path when playing a Pokemon FanGame and saw the Software. I said "wow, I want to do this!!" and that's how I started!

I was one of the founders of Comunidad GM, the biggest community forums of Spanish Game Making (with Game Maker, of course). Recently, I have founded my own studios, EXP Studios and I'm the only one in there but it's something cool to call it that way lol Tongue! You can visit my website here (www.expstudios.com.ar).

This year I was learning vector design and new programming techniches since I was out of the scene for 5 years! I started again because I bought an Android device and wanted to play my games on my smarthphone. I was reading a lot about programming, marketing, business and everything related!

My first game lauchend on Google Play on 9/11 (well, that's not a nice date but was the only available for my time Sad). It's a free game called Chubby Bird and I'm on process to port it to iOS. A HTML5 version is available too. Here is a screenshot:

I'm going to start a thread asking for your feedback, so I hope you can help me :D!

Nice to meet you all!
Good bye!
TeddyDief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »

Hey everyone!

I've been meaning to get involved in the TIG forums, and now I am!

My name's Teddy Diefenbach, and I'm an indie working out of Los Angeles. Here is the shortest list-based history I can make o myself:

• Grew up in Washington, D.C.
  • Started making games in college at Columbia in NYC
  • Worked at Gameloft for a little while in NY as my first games gig. Then got the hell out of there.
  • Did a lot of game jams. Love em still!
  • Moved to LA to get a masters in Interactive Media from the USC Interactive Media Division
  • Worked as a game designer for Disney Online Studios for a couple years
  • Brief design stint at Microsoft
  • Finally went indie and formed Rad Dragon with my USC buddy Mike Sennott!!!!
  • We showed our game The Moonlighters at E3 this year. It's still in the works...
  • We just released our first iOS game - Shove Pro! I'm gonna do an announcement post about it later today. I hope it's cool that I do that so soon. I'm trying to join the community and not spam or anything!

Some Games I've made:
- Din  http://archive.globalgamejam.org/games/din
- Jumpkick Justice  http://jumpkickjustice.com
- The Moonlighters http://moonlightersgame.com
- Shove Pro http://shovepro.com

Let's see, about me as a designer: I design, write, code, and occasionally write music. I do not / cannot do art, sadly. I need help from friends for that  Smiley  I grew up on RPGs like FF Tactics, FF VII, Earthbound, SMRPG, Secret of Mana, and the like, so my interests skew pretty heavily in that direction. I'm pretty invested in a few topics like:

- Comedy in games (see my new game Shove Pro - http://shovepro.com)
- Narrative Systems Design (wrote my USC Masters thesis on it, and The Moonlighters is a heist action RPG that secretly hides experiments in this)
- Episodic writing in games. Not referring to the business/release model, but instead the storytelling structure

That's a pretty good summary I think. Nice to meet you all!
wally2069
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5779 on: November 09, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »

Hey guys, I am an indie game developer. Have entered a few rapid prototype development competitions in the last year. I am an OK programmer that has been trying to stretch his horizons and that has been working alone for the last few years and looking to get more involved with the community. I am really excited to start meeting people at game jams if any meet-ups occur in the Detroit/Ann Arbor, MI area.

I post semi-regularly to a development blog at http://wally2069.blogspot.com

I just like making things for other people to enjoy and always looking for feedback on things I have done.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic