Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412104 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 27, 2024, 04:14:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: MDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design  (Read 37766 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »

I'm sure many people will at least be remembered until the end of humanity. With the advent of the internet, the amount of stored information is increasing. Barring a nuclear holocaust, I believe that most of us will be remembered until the end of humanity, simply because traces of us will always exist in the internet and on sites like archive.org.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »

Bruce Lee probably won't be remembered, because he's more of a pop culture icon than anything else. Pop culture, whether you want it to or not, tends to die out over time.

If you want to be remembered, you should found a religion, lead a country to greatness, lead a country to ruin, or invent sciences.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »

Jesus why does everyone always have to be so literal
Because it's true. Nothing lasts forever; trying to attain "immortality" for your work is a foolish goal. Some (very, very few) people are still famous hundreds of years after their death (Mozart, Michaelangelo etc) or even thousands (Pythagoras, Aristotle etc) but they too will be forgotten in time.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »

I still haven't played any of his games.  Whenever I feel like I might, I read the description he wrote for it and immediately navigate away from his site.  This book's description had a similar effect on me.

Seth
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »

Jesus why does everyone always have to be so literal
Because it's true. Nothing lasts forever; trying to attain "immortality" for your work is a foolish goal. Some (very, very few) people are still famous hundreds of years after their death (Mozart, Michaelangelo etc) or even thousands (Pythagoras, Aristotle etc) but they too will be forgotten in time.

Yes, it's true, if you take it that literally, but I don't think Bruce Lee meant it that way.  It just makes a better point that saying "The key to achieving the closest thing anyone can to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:36:25 PM by Seth » Logged
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »

It's really humbling to think that even the most earth-shattering (for us) events in recent history (like the Holocaust or 9/11) will eventually be all but erased.

Sorry for the off topic.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »

It is humbling, and I think that remembering that helps put anybody's ego in check. We will all be forgotten; some a little sooner than others, but so what? I get the feeling Bruce Lee was more interested in seeing how far he could push himself than he was in achieving everlasting fame.

I don't think this is being overly literal: it's a plain fact of life that it's best to come to terms with. It's up to us to decide what constitutes a life well-lived, since once we're gone it doesn't really matter any more.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 07:32:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure Einstein and Newton will be remembered until humanity dies. If there's any people that deserve to live on forever, it's the famous physicists. Their work is so pivotal to our technology that I don't think we could forget them if we tried.

Now, I know that the premise of a thread discussing the ramblings of a presumably psychotic man is shaky at best, but I think we should end the debate and move back to the original subject.
dessgeega
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »

if there's anyone worth remembering, it's the ones who gave us the ability to annihilate ourselves.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:32 PM »

if there's anyone worth remembering, it's the ones who gave us the ability to annihilate ourselves.
That's a good point! We're gonna have to blame someone for the upcoming nuclear apocalypse, now, won't we?
Movius
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 06:23:45 AM »

Growing up in Adelaide the "ANNIHILATE WORLD" machine given to me personally by Mark Oliphant was of great use. Very memorable.

Also, I like Mdickie, even if his games are terrible. It's entertaining watching certain walking stereotypes descend into a frothing rage merely because he has the audacity to not only make games and sell them in exchange for cash, but also the arrogance to be proud of his efforts. It's made even more entertaining by the fact said mobile stereotypes never have to play Mdickie game and are completely unaffected by any success or failure he may or may not have.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »

Well, Newton didn't have anything to do with destructive weapons that I know of, and Einstein didn't actually work on the atomic bomb, he just recommended one be built because there was a serious worry at the time that the Germans were going to build one first.

I doubt the majority of people even today could name a single person who actually worked on developing the atomic bomb.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »

Growing up in Adelaide the "ANNIHILATE WORLD" machine given to me personally by Mark Oliphant was of great use. Very memorable.

Also, I like Mdickie, even if his games are terrible. It's entertaining watching certain walking stereotypes descend into a frothing rage merely because he has the audacity to not only make games and sell them in exchange for cash, but also the arrogance to be proud of his efforts. It's made even more entertaining by the fact said mobile stereotypes never have to play Mdickie game and are completely unaffected by any success or failure he may or may not have.

Hey I didn't "descend into a frothing rage".  I'm just saying that he's claiming to be one of the (if not the single most) influential and notable indie developers, and yet his attitude alone is keeping me (and others) from even giving his stuff a chance.  He sure isn't influencing me.

Glad he's successful and proud of it.  Good for him.  But that says nothing about his attitude as an artist.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2009, 11:54:38 PM »

OK, sorry to reply to something off-topic, but I couldn't resist:
It's really humbling to think that even the most earth-shattering (for us) events in recent history (like the Holocaust or 9/11) will eventually be all but erased.

Sorry for the off topic.
I actually find this very affirming and hopeful: just think, all of the sadness and hate that these events created will have faded too.  I saw this interview on TV today with a Civil Rights leader/black politician (Andrew Young), and he talked about how black politicians who experienced segregation will occasionally speak from places of deep unresolved pain, and thus end up saying controversial things that hurt their reputations in the process.  He talked about how Obama never experienced segregation, and thus didn't carry the pain that limited other black politicians; to him this was a beautiful sign of progress, that new generations didn't have that pain.

Sorry.  I'll just shut up now.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 03:52:38 AM »

I've only ever played one of his games and it was pretty oddball but not very good. Like others, just his attitude alone turns me off playing anything he created or reading that book. He doesn't make me angry.. I just don't really understand where the ego comes from.

I remember reading an interview with him over on Indie Game blog from over a year ago and as soon as I saw him say that the average indie developer was resigned to making 'quaint' 2D games, I lost a whole bunch of respect. It's like he thinks that the developers working in these capacities can't be enjoying themselves and that the whole scene is one big pissing contest. 3D means very little to me.

Having a lot to show for yourself is all well and good.. just seems that he has intentionally alienated an awful lot of potential customers.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 04:02:28 AM »

what the f*ck is hard time?  Wizard

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »

I think the ridiculous hyperbole is delightful.  It hits just the right tone.
Movius
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

Hey I didn't "descend into a frothing rage".  I'm just saying that he's claiming to be one of the (if not the single most) influential and notable indie developers, and yet his attitude alone is keeping me (and others) from even giving his stuff a chance.  He sure isn't influencing me.

Glad he's successful and proud of it.  Good for him.  But that says nothing about his attitude as an artist.
Thats exactly it. MDickie makes MDickie look like an idiot. People that aren't MDickie are unaffected. Which is why it's so amusing that people bear so much malice towards him.

I agree that many of his games are terrible though. (Actual terrible, not just worse than average.) A team of trucks playing soccer would be more manouverable than the players in grass roots.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2009, 09:05:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's natural to get mad at things that suck, especially when the creator won't admit that it sucks. If a chef gave me a really shitty meal, and then insisted that it was the best meal ever, I might just punch him in the face. He's not going to get away with feeding me shit and then saying it was actually good!

And when he says things like "I am the most influential man to indie gaming", you don't get mad because he's lying. You get mad because he's totally ignoring the people that actually are influential to indie gaming. The fact that he would claim himself to be more important than people like Nifflas and Pixel, and the fact that he might actually get more coverage than these people because of his antics, is what ticks people off. He's an attention whore, and he's dragging away coverage of actually interesting games.

People like Derek Yu and Alec may not be widely known outside of their bubble, but at least the people who do know about them generally praise their works. I'd rather have a small amount of people like what I do, rather than a massive amount of people who condemn my works.
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »

Pretty sure he's being at least a little facetious.  I mean the description of The You Testament on his site is rigorously descriptive down to all the weirdness that make his games entertaining in the first place.

Consider that

is an official video for the game (watch the end).

Life is too short for resentment!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic