Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:15:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJobchanger Brigade [NEW Alpha 27 of December] - 2 Art Videos - MERRY CHRISTIMAS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jobchanger Brigade [NEW Alpha 27 of December] - 2 Art Videos - MERRY CHRISTIMAS  (Read 2254 times)
Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:19:57 AM »

Jobchanger Brigade is an action platformer which combines classical RPG jobs with boss slaying.

Play now! => latest stable preAlpha 2014/December/27
http://www.pidroh.com/jobchanger/build/jobchangersLatest.jar

Latest alpha footage!

=> 14/December/27

=> 14/December/13

Art videos!
Those were created some time ago. Sorry about the bad audio in one case and the lack of it in the other, my new mic is arriving so the situation should improve. Please post expressing your interested if you want more or if you have critique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6T1DTACIY  Creating a Potion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noWLqMHMoaw  Creating a club weapon

Current preAlpha Features
  • Three jobs each with two styles, allowing you to access 6 movesets in a single mission
  • Three bosses to beat you up
  • Multiple weapons to craft using loots from the monsters
  • Levelling up system
  • Very mobile system
  • Online P2P multiplayer using Hamachi and similar
  • No game-crashing bugs spotted so far

Planned Features
  • More jobs
  • More enemies and bosses
  • Challenge Stages
  • Configurable difficulty with risk VS reward system
  • Better balancing
  • Rage Mode and sleep for all bosses
  • Lots of loot and stuff to equip
  • Better multiplayer modes

Extra Info
Official site: www.pidroh.com/jobchanger
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/pidrohgame
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/jobchanger-brigade
Developer Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mabiremps

I'll try to update often!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:00:59 AM by Pidroh » Logged

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 02:18:27 PM »

Today and for the upcoming days I'll fix a number of issues that have appeared in the most recent developments of the game.

I have compiled a list (please exclude the english mistakes in the list, I write those in a "hurry"):
Things already done have been bolded!

• Add things like Area 1-2 at beginning of area
  • make mission tablets not solid for ease
  • make CLEARED text reappear on mission show, is gone on random mision
  • add rage mode and run away to orc boss and pegasus boss
  • rebalance damage so you can get higher numbers for enemy attacks
  • rebalance charged attacks to balance jobs
  •  * try out charging consumes stamina
  • make running away summon slimes
  • create stun lock escape for hero
  • preload projs to fix floating shuriken
  • potion instead of coin on mission start sometimes
  • mission progress / don't know how
  • orcs are acumulating? one mission had 7 orcs
  • ice attack send too high
  • send all the items to the bag as soon as mission end room enters, the animation is just the removal of the temporary bag of items
  • enemies drop HP ball
  • enemy don't get stronger when level up
  • if you create all weapons it overflows in the weapon shop
  • Easier to do dash while moving
  • HP text appears and stays randomly
  • remove enemy name after stage changes and other times
  • minion orc spawn probability should go down

So yes, one thing that comes to mind is the easier to do dash. I had to change the controls to attain this effect. I'm not too sure on how I'll communicate it to people who played the old alphas since I don't want them to repeat the tutorial or anything. Guess I need to start recording which alpha version is being played so I can show this kind of message when people bring saves from older versions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:05:23 PM by Pidroh » Logged

Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »

Hi! So I tried the demo. The combat in this game is really fun. I'm glad you changed the dash controls - a lot of the time I'd be pressing a directional key then hit 'shift' attempting to dash, but to no avail. Maybe my computer volume was too high, but the sound effects seemed really loud?

For the weapons you can craft, I was wondering if they all will just be more powerful versions of the last one you made? I only saw an 'attack' stat for them that increased with more expensive weapons... will there ever be a choice between two weapons with different attack/status effects but roughly the same power?

There were a few glitches, but overall this was decent. I hope you keep developing it... and I'm happy you're adding multiplayer. I can imagine this being quite enjoyable to play with friends.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 05:59:42 PM »

is this game story based at all? or more like risk of rain wherey ou try to get far each time?

play hydlide 2
Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

Hi! So I tried the demo. The combat in this game is really fun. I'm glad you changed the dash controls - a lot of the time I'd be pressing a directional key then hit 'shift' attempting to dash, but to no avail. Maybe my computer volume was too high, but the sound effects seemed really loud?

For the weapons you can craft, I was wondering if they all will just be more powerful versions of the last one you made? I only saw an 'attack' stat for them that increased with more expensive weapons... will there ever be a choice between two weapons with different attack/status effects but roughly the same power?

There were a few glitches, but overall this was decent. I hope you keep developing it... and I'm happy you're adding multiplayer. I can imagine this being quite enjoyable to play with friends.

Hi Tyro, thanks for playing! The dash change I made was to do exactly what you're talking about, guess we're in the same page, haha.
I never stopped to tweak the sound effects, I'll try to compare it to other games while keeping the same volume on the computer.

As for the weapons, yes, once again we're on the same page, kinda. I'm planning to have various effects on each weapon, stuff like stamina consumption change, combo size, lowering range of certain attacks, change them completely, etc. I'm not too sure when I'll get to this, though, since I want to improve the game in general first. I do think it'll likely get in before February. I'm actually hoping that "pure strong weapon" will be the style of one single weapon in the game, so yes, you'll always be faced with a choice when weapon buying.

Could you comment on some of those glitches? I'm mainly focusing on getting rid of those and maybe you have something I haven't spotted yet. Or we can leave it to December 27 when I'll release the next stable alpha and maybe you can tell me then if I solved it.

Multiplayer is actually already in, although in a very simple battle arena, but it should be even buggier, so I won't tell you to try it out.

is this game story based at all? or more like risk of rain wherey ou try to get far each time?

My current vision is loosely story based. There are already some NPCs with dialog in the game which might give some very small insight on what you're doing, but my final vision is to give the player the chance to escalate his battles in to facing powerful foes which rule the current world and make the world react a bit to such actions, in a branching story line kinda of way. I also plan to have a well defined "last boss" (which would not be the ultimate challenge in the game at all, haha) and also a chance for the player to develop a friendship or maybe a deeper relationship with one of the NPCs. But I haven't set any of that in stone, I'm trying to let my imagination run a bit since I have defined other priorities before fleshing out the story in game.

This game does have some loose rogue-like elements but I don't really enjoy instadeath all that much, so this game definitely has a sense of progression, since it's mission based. It's almost like every mission is a small rogue-like experience, but missions are short and have a clear ending.

Hope I didn't blabble too much.

By the way, Even the Ocean's art style is quite interesting, I look at images sometime when I'm brainstorming graphics!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »

Oh cool! Thats a nice twist with the mission like stuff. I like the NPC friendship idea. Good luck! And glad that ETO's art is useful!

play hydlide 2
Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »

Could you comment on some of those glitches? I'm mainly focusing on getting rid of those and maybe you have something I haven't spotted yet. Or we can leave it to December 27 when I'll release the next stable alpha and maybe you can tell me then if I solved it.

Sure thing. Here are the ones I remember experiencing:

• If you jump and hit a weapon in midair (sword, staff, etc.) while moving, sometimes you'll just keep flying in the direction you were pressing while the transformation sequence is happening.
  • On the first mission, when I beat three slimes I got hit by the giant one and knocked back while the screen was fading to white. I'm not sure if everything is supposed to be frozen/inactive while that transition is happening?
  • I think you already know about this one, but on the third mission I fought two level one orcs that did a ton of damage compared to the level 5 slimes.

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »

Oh cool! Thats a nice twist with the mission like stuff. I like the NPC friendship idea. Good luck! And glad that ETO's art is useful!

Thank you! Good luck to you too!  Grin

Sure thing. Here are the ones I remember experiencing:

• If you jump and hit a weapon in midair (sword, staff, etc.) while moving, sometimes you'll just keep flying in the direction you were pressing while the transformation sequence is happening.
  • On the first mission, when I beat three slimes I got hit by the giant one and knocked back while the screen was fading to white. I'm not sure if everything is supposed to be frozen/inactive while that transition is happening?
  • I think you already know about this one, but on the third mission I fought two level one orcs that did a ton of damage compared to the level 5 slimes.

Damage is all over the place! There are bosses dealing 2 of damage and others dealing 9 of damage... I'll likely do a complete rebalancing before the next release.
I fixed that transformation bug you mentioned today. It has been bothering me for quite some days but I always postpone. Things should work quite well now.

I timed myself adding scrolling support to the weapon list... Took me around 50 minutes. GUI always gets me.

EDIT:
Here's the current list ():

Done / not Done

• Add things like Area 1-2 at beginning of area
  • make mission tablets not solid for ease
  • make CLEARED text reappear on mission show, is gone on random mission
  • add rage mode and run away to orc boss and pegasus boss
  • rebalance damage so you can get higher numbers for enemy attacks
  • rebalance charged attacks to balance jobs
  •  * try out charging consumes stamina
  • make running away summon slimes
  • create stun lock escape for hero
  • preload projs to fix floating shuriken
  • potion instead of coin on mission start sometimes
  • mission progress / don't know how
  • orcs are acumulating? one mission had 7 orcs
  • ice attack send too high
  • send all the items to the bag as soon as mission end room enters, the animation is just the removal of the temporary bag of items
  • enemies drop HP ball
  • enemy don't get stronger when level up
  • if you create all weapons it overflows in the weapon shop
  • Easier to do dash while moving
  • HP text appears and stays randomly
  • remove enemy name after stage changes and other times
  • minion orc spawn probability should go down

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »

So today I fixed an horrible fault in my game: stun locking. Stun locking is when enemy attacks pile up and you can't even move. It makes the game feel really unfair when the player dies because of it. I finally purged it out of the game.  Apoplectic

What most people do, though, is just give the player some imortality time after each hit. I don't really like that, I wanna allow the game to punish the game further some times. So I created the following system:

You need 3 points to get imortality. Any hit which deals less than 20% of your max health will add 1 point, above 20% and below 40% adds 2 points and above 40% gives you full 3 points. Imortality lasts for 2.5 seconds. Once you become imortal your points return to 0. If you spend around 0.9 seconds without getting hit, your points also return to 0.

This will likely get tweaked further in case I wanna make an monster attack which works by having a lot of weak attacks which I might want to pile up. Or maybe I'll make you get imortality more easily if you're low on health, so you don't die a cheap death all the time.

Tell me your thoughts on stun locking or how you solved it in your own game!

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

So for today and yesterday it has been the programmer dream: GUI programming. Mainly some feedback on how you're progressing through your current mission.

I'll likely change that white portion of the menu, no idea on why that is still there. I also need to change those "Area" to something more meaningful or at least number them. Or maybe leave them nameless... Or A1, A2, A3. No idea on what I'll do.

On a different note, I tried creating an image of the class diagram of my current code, it generated an bmp of 16 gbs. Don't think a class diagram of that size will help me anyways...

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

So I've been revamping the charge system, making some jobs have skills that take longer to charge to balance the game a bit. I also took this chance to add sounds and more particles, which should make it prettier   Gentleman

Also, charging itself now consumes blue energy, which is great because that adds another dimension to energy management, although once the energy runs out you simply go off the charging, that doesn't seem very clear to the player. Not sure if I'll just make the player attack automatically once the energy runs out or if I'll try to make it more intuitive the charging cancelling (no idea on how I would do that) and below is another gif.

Not sure on why I'm always jumping when recording those gifs. Here is my face wondering why I did that .
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:52:18 AM by Pidroh » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »

Looks like great fun, following!

Will try the demo tomorrow, when I'm not busy cooking Smiley

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »

Looks like great fun, following!

Will try the demo tomorrow, when I'm not busy cooking Smiley

Hehe, thanks! Do tell me what you think of the demo!

------------------------------------
And these days I've been programming customizable controls! Took me around 3 hours to add it in, clean the bugs, with the gui and all.

I'm not an AWSD player so I'll need some feedback on that in the future... For AZERTY too, I guess

I'm also adding a rage mode for the orc boss! It's almost done, I just need one new attack.

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 05:20:16 PM »

So I've been reworking the sky's graphics and I went a very complicated route which looked really bad then decided to ditch everything and go for something really simple. Doesn't really look that good, though. I have a lot of trouble with stage graphics Sad

http://i.imgur.com/7yJLDk4.png

And I've also thought about reworking the main character's graphics based on advice from Derity, here is an comparison, tell me what you think:

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »

I've added some art creation videos to the main post, I'll do more if there is interest! It`ll get better once my new mic arrives, which I hope it'll be in less than 2 weeks. Other than that, 27's alpha will be going up as expected!

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:26 AM »

Hello guys and girls and devs and dudes!

New alpha releasedddd!!!111

You can get it at the first page or here, haha:

http://www.pidroh.com/jobchanger/build/jobchangersLatest.jar

And the cool video is here too:

Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »

Hello all of you!

I haven't been able to work on the game for some time now because a past game of mine got Greenlit and I'm remaking some stuff for it's Steam release!

Here is the past game, btw: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=254914121
So yes, I just came back to Jobchanger Brigade to add some stuff, I plan to juggle both projects, we'll see how it goes!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic