Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:32:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211295 times)
Fuzz
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

I've actually started reading works by German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche.
He's quite interesting actually. I'm focusing mainly on Thus Spoke Zarathustra and The Antichrist. I recommend giving his works a thorough read.
YESSSSSS
I haven't actually read through any of his books, but I'm somewhat familiar with him. There's another item on my reading list!
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »

Just finished the Watchmen collection.

Really great, but really depressing.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »

Just finished the Watchmen collection.

Really great, but really depressing.
All so true. Watchemen is my favorite masterpiece and the movie will be great.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
jute
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »

Alan Moore (and hopefully anyone who has seen "300") would disagree.

Corpus
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »

Turns out I don't feel like reading any Hemingway at the minute, so I'm reading Brighton Rock by Graham Greene instead.

I'm also reading The Responsibility of Intellectuals by Noam Chomsky.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »

300 is a great movie with a story that's even greater than its epic action so I don't know what you are talking about.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »

I'm reading The Design of Everyday Things, The Design of Future Things and Emotional Design. All by Donald Norman.

Guess you can see a pattern there.  Wink

Renton
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »

300 is a great movie with a story that's even greater than its epic action so I don't know what you are talking about.
Pfft. 300 is the bad movie of a mediocre comic book and if Zack Snyder is a visionary director then I'm the prodigal son of Jesus and Pixel (who was using Expectane at the time). The only vision Snyder's ever had is pot induced vision of Frank Miller saying "Dude, you should totally make frame to frame copies of my books" riding a penicorn with a turquoise I'm with stupid t-shirt on.

Returning to the topic: I'm re-reading Brain Droppings.
Fuzz
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »

Pfft. 300 is the bad movie of a mediocre comic book and if Zack Snyder is a visionary director then I'm the prodigal son of Jesus and Pixel (who was using Expectane at the time). The only vision Snyder's ever had is pot induced vision of Frank Miller saying "Dude, you should totally make frame to frame copies of my books" riding a penicorn with a turquoise I'm with stupid t-shirt on.

More reason to hate Frank Miller:
Quote from:  Frank Miller talking about Iraq
Nobody questions why we, after Pearl Harbor, attacked Nazi Germany. It was because we were taking on a form of global fascism, we're doing the same thing now ... It seems to me quite obvious that our country and the entire Western World is up against an existential foe that knows exactly what it wants.... For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we're up against, and the sixth-century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people's heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I’m speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I'm living in a city where 3000 of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »

i really like miller's art but 300 just had some less-than-spectacular art.  it seemed lazy like sketchups.

returning to said topic: my friend's letting me borrow an orgy of george.
Doctor Universe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2009, 09:21:46 AM »

Reading is awesome. <3 Currently I'm doing another run through of American Gods, Good Omens, Sandman (Geeze, that's a lot of Gaiman), Watchmen, House of Leaves and DMZ. 'course, I should probably just pick one and finish it off first, but where's the fun in that?
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »

You can stay on your high horse and pretend that other people's opinions don't matter and yours is a fact. I'll be in the real world.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Corpus
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »

You can stay on your high horse and pretend that other people's opinions don't matter and yours is a fact. I'll be in the real world.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »

so yeah anyway, I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's very....interesting. Quite enjoyable so far. I'm curious as to where it is going, though.

olücæbelel
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2009, 06:16:13 PM »

I hate Ayn Rand. Bulllshit philosopher.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

I've tried to read some of Douglas Adam's works (apart from Hitchhiker's Guide), and I really can't get into them. He's a funny writer, but his books have a tendency to ramble everywhere without ever making serious progress. A case of "waxing eloquent", I think.

Terry Pratchett, on the other hand, is a very good writer. He's probably my favorite comedy/parody writer.

Also, I read Good Omens recently. It was a joint work by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen (!). As can be expected from the two of them, it's an excellent read.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »

Just finished Halting State by Charles Stross. Yay SF for gaming/programming geeks!

Fuzz
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2009, 09:11:14 PM »

so yeah anyway, I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's very....interesting. Quite enjoyable so far. I'm curious as to where it is going, though.
Ayn Rand= Good writer, horrible person. Conservatism to the extreme.
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »

Battle Royale

awesum.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic